Welcome to the Obelisk Forums

Korras

31-01-2005 17:28:58

okay, I've been pondering for a while what to put here. I am not going to turn it into a mindless blabber, so I'll make this the thread where I'll post my plans...

also, I might have been a Krath not so long ago, but one way or the other, I chose to become an Obelisk. and as OHC, I will do whatever I possibly can for the order. if you think I am f*cking up, let me know. I can deal with critisism. if I know what I'm doing wrong, I can improve that, right?

now, I am fleshing out a competition atm. if you have any idea's, reply on this topic, mail, or whatever. I do not have any concrete information yet, simply because I got too many idea's flying through my head right now. expect something here in the next couple of days, though.

now, I think that covers all for now. if I have anything else, this will be the place where I'll place it, if it's not worthy of the news page.

Aidan Kincaid

31-01-2005 17:32:30

hmm... what is the nature of this competition - ie: ladder, RoS, tournament, MP night, etc? :P

Korras

31-01-2005 18:00:41

hmm... what is the nature of this competition - ie: ladder, RoS, tournament, MP night, etc? :P

RoS is scheduled for later this year. it's most likely going to be a tournament, though not the usual one.

Aidan Kincaid

31-01-2005 18:13:25

hehe... but is that the thing you wanted ideas for? Or just a random fun competition? :P

Kir

31-01-2005 18:29:18

AHHH!!!! More DC-level competitions!!! *Kir's head explodes

I would suggest making this more of a "participate if you want to have some fun" type competition, nothing too serious. We haven't had a straight-up ladder comp in awhile too, that might be fun.

Korras

31-01-2005 18:35:14

AHHH!!!!  More DC-level competitions!!!  *Kir's head explodes

I would suggest making this more of a "participate if you want to have some fun" type competition, nothing too serious.  We haven't had a straight-up ladder comp in awhile too, that might be fun.

ladder... fun... those two things could be combined... ::starts pondering::

hehe... but is that the thing you wanted ideas for? Or just a random fun competition? :P

okay, everyone wants fun. fun it shall be. ;)

and idea's... whatever idea's you have, I'm open for them.

Kir

31-01-2005 20:52:45

Lets have a DB-wide competition where everyone goes to the Tal server with Shadow, and whoever can last the longest without being thrusted wins!

Brilliant!

Chaosrain

31-01-2005 21:28:02

If the RoS is a tournament, please don't make it sabers only... please not sabers only.

*Chaosrain really hates sabers

What if for each ladder match there was a guns match and sabers match and a the third could be... Bryars... or something else. But sabers only seems... to be to restrictive.

and Kir everyone gets thrusted by Shad =P

Fire-Knight

31-01-2005 22:24:58

I'm up for that Thrust competition, I could use my thrust coupons to get everyone thrusted before me :D and it would barely pu ta dent in the number i have... I'm still at 1 000 000.

On a side note, Hey all and welcome to the new MB YAY!

Frosty

01-02-2005 13:03:04

What about a tournament like the soccer World Cup? With groups and rest?

Kir

01-02-2005 14:02:38

Yeah, Obelisk competitions should NEVER be merely 1v1 sabers. All that does it make it into the zone, and everyone h8s the zone.

There should be team matches, CTF, and guns as well...force people out of their "ALL I PLAY IS SABERS, RAWR!!!" shell.

Chaosrain

01-02-2005 14:49:09

Or there could be a tournament for each type. Like a guns, a sabers, a ctf, a team deathmatch, a bryars(this would be very prefferable for me =P), and also each weapon setting could be JK, JO, JA, and whatever settings BF and RC have. And then one big tournament where there are 3 battles per round and they are randomly chosen between game and weapon setting. Also, the 3 battles per round would go by the random settings so one of the participants doesnt have the advantage the whole round.

Korras

05-02-2005 09:35:46

okay... a competition idea.. a ladder, though not the ordinary.

note before you read on: this competition is not meant to be serious, just as something light to have some fun with, to counter out the seriousness of the KRoS. let me know what you think.

in normal ladders, you advance by killing your oponent. in this ladder, you will advance by dieing. whatever you can think up will work, except falling off the ledge, which is too simple even for this. your oponent will have to you. kill yourself by emptying your blaster at your oponent's saber, for example. or lay mines, and step into them. but be carefull with that. your oponent might just as well use them to kill himself.

I know, it still has some hooks and sharp edges... probably a time limit will work best, since otherwise, people will run around for ages, without killing. won't work.

either way, any takers for this sort of competition?

Aidan Kincaid

05-02-2005 10:04:40

How bout make them have real fights, but reward the losers instead of the winner. The winner will retain his or her pride but the loser will get a nice new medal to show off and it might make people be less... "anal" about losing a lot. It will still be fun as I foresee both sides trying their best to not win the matches. It'll all come down to who can suck more :P

Arania

05-02-2005 10:14:13

I already gave you ideas, including the "reward the losers" one hehe....

Korras

05-02-2005 10:17:52

I already gave you ideas, including the "reward the losers" one hehe....

yeah, who else can come up with such twisted idea's? :P

and Shadow, yeah, that could be good too, hehe...

Aidan Kincaid

05-02-2005 10:18:16

Ara's stealing Kor's thunder :P

Korras

05-02-2005 10:21:39

Ara's stealing Kor's thunder :P

I'm always open for idea's. :P

Arania

05-02-2005 10:49:52

Actually, Korras and me know each other since a long time and we have the same type of weird ideas :D :w00t:

Mav

05-02-2005 12:20:38

Or there could be a tournament for each type. Like a guns, a sabers, a ctf, a team deathmatch, a bryars(this would be very prefferable for me =P), and also each weapon setting could be JK, JO, JA, and whatever settings BF and RC have. And then one big tournament where there are 3 battles per round and they are randomly chosen between game and weapon setting. Also, the 3 battles per round would go by the random settings so one of the participants doesnt have the advantage the whole round.

Hehe, could do like some kind of "Decathilon" comp where each Clan puts up a team, and they compete in a variety of matches on a smaller scale... So sabers, guns, ctf, etc, all being small events. :P

Obviously this isn't the same kind of fun-ness, but still. :P

Rewarding the loser idea is hard because I gurantee there are some members that will lose intentionally. =P (not to say it shouldn't be done, though, just reminding people we have some members who will do anything to 'win')

Aidan Kincaid

05-02-2005 12:44:53

thats why pride goes to the winner, medal goes to the loser. Teaches that pwnage is better then medals. And thats a sweet idea Mav. Decathlon for me.

Kaine Mandaala

05-02-2005 22:40:33

Have a comp that uses SIEGE mode. It is an often overlooked aspect of Jedi Academy that I feel is a lot of fun.

Otherwise, CTF is cool. Though I think there needs to be some sort of rating system for players so you don't get all the good ones on one side vs. all the n00bs.

Aidan Kincaid

06-02-2005 00:02:52

Seige needs a good amount of people, and it's fairly difficult just getting 2v2 going :P

Kaine Mandaala

06-02-2005 00:39:21

Seige needs a good amount of people, and it's fairly difficult just getting 2v2 going :P

True, but I don't see it as being much more difficult than attempting to get people into Battlefront.

Besides - people are in a FFA "saber challenge" rut.

Aidan Kincaid

06-02-2005 01:49:00

I agree... guns are a lot more fun :P

freshjive taldrya

06-02-2005 13:56:48

you could have an obstacle course....time people going through the level when you get your lightsaber or something...:P

Khobai

06-02-2005 21:31:48

Hehe, could do like some kind of "Decathilon" comp where each Clan puts up a team, and they compete in a variety of matches on a smaller scale... So sabers, guns, ctf, etc, all being small events.

This only limits who can participate and limiting participation to a small elite group is generally a bad idea. If you want to do this, I suggest reforming the GMRG to do what it was originally intended to do (elite multiplayer competition).

Although the idea of having seperate events to compete in like sabers, guns, ctf, etc... sounds like a good idea.

Rewarding the loser idea is hard because I gurantee there are some members that will lose intentionally. =P (not to say it shouldn't be done, though, just reminding people we have some members who will do anything to 'win')

It takes two people to play a 1v1 match, and someone ultimately loses. Without motivation to lose there is no motivation to play. People who play consistently regardless of whether they win or lose should still be rewarded. They are the individuals whom enable a competition to be successful.

On the reverse, losing should never be a replacement for winning. The amount of points awarded for losing a match should be substantially less than the amount of points awarded for actually winning.

JK, JO, and JA are also outdated games and Republic Commando probably won't save the Obelisk singlehandedly. I would like to see the DB officially support games like Counterstrike, Unreal Tournament 2004, Halflife 2, etc.... I know Jac has made the announcement, but I still don't see anyone playing these games. I believe a push in the right direction needs to come from the OHC.

Mav

07-02-2005 05:27:31

This only limits who can participate and limiting participation to a small elite group is generally a bad idea. If you want to do this, I suggest reforming the GMRG to do what it was originally intended to do (elite multiplayer competition).

GMRG never worked "as it was intended." Furthermore, I tend to disagree completely with the idea that limiting "who can participate" is *always* a bad thing. Sometimes, it actually helps to have to force people to compete for slots. It just depends how limited it is, and if there are other activities available to the membership at the time the competition is going on. If a Clan has a limited number of people on their team, it might create some kind of actual pride in making 'the team,' instead of just showing up and participating, people might feel somewhat more responsible for the well being of their Clan if they are part of a select few. And considering the number of events, the teams would probably be reasonably large that most Clans could field a decent size team. Furthermore, theres nothing to say that we couldn't allow periodic substitions and the like, or backups, or what not. Theres a lot that could be done with the idea that wouldn't hinder activity. :)

JK, JO, and JA are also outdated games and Republic Commando probably won't save the Obelisk singlehandedly. I would like to see the DB officially support games like Counterstrike, Unreal Tournament 2004, Halflife 2, etc.... I know Jac has made the announcement, but I still don't see anyone playing these games. I believe a push in the right direction needs to come from the OHC.

I disagree. While the OHC could help, a push is needed from the membership, to show that they actually wish to play these other games. We've had people on the DC try to get the Clan members involved in this kind of thing before and it's always fallen flat, because there just isn't enough ground support for it to work out. As for JO and JA being outdated... Yes, they are, but quite a few people still play them, and quite a few members still join to play them. I'm betting that if a group of members came to the OHC asking for him to provide them activities related to certain games not of the typical DB games, he'd be more than happy to. But until then, I don't think its wise for this OHC to waste his time as past leaders have attempting to push games we aren't positive the members are interested in.

One of the reasons no one is playing UT2k4, HL2, or CS is because there just aren't a whole lot of people in the DB who are in the DB to play those games. The ICTE, for instance, supports every game imaginable - and the only non-SW game other than allegiance we've ever had played was one match of CS.

Khobai

09-02-2005 14:10:15

The reason the GMRG keeps failing is because every CoG that's been appointed has failed.
With the rare exception of about two CoGs, and more recently Halc, who actually managed to get the GMRG going somewhat. And the GMRG is supposed to be elite, so limiting the parrticipation in this case is beneficial.

Also, If people are competing for slots, then everyone has a chance to participate. This was the format for the OHC cup I ran when I was OHC, people would compete in Qualifier rounds for spots in the Grandprix and Championships to win the OHC cup. What I meant, was that it would be a bad idea to say "only you, you, and you can participate and everyone else can't". Having elimination rounds is fine.

As for other games, I find this generally untrue. When I was OHC I was playing a variety of non-SW games with members of the Obelisk order. There is *definately* a group of people, if only a small group, who would love to have games like UT2K4, Halflife2, Doom3, Counterstrike, etc... made into officially supported games. I sincerely doubt that has changed since I was OHC.

Mav

09-02-2005 14:27:27

As for other games, I find this generally untrue. When I was OHC I was playing a variety of non-SW games with members of the Obelisk order. There is *definately* a group of people, if only a small group, who would love to have games like UT2K4, Halflife2, Doom3,  Counterstrike, etc... made into officially supported games. I sincerely doubt that has changed since I was OHC.

If you're willing to lead a group of those interested in these other games, we cuold try out the guild setup again. I'm sure if you got a few members interested, it could work, and I bet the Order Leaders would be happy to publicize it if it got off the ground.