Writing Tips

OdinVaaj

16-10-2008 13:12:08

All tips regarding writing : stories, poems, articles, essays etc.

These cannot make you to be the champion of writing contests, but you can use them to improve and polish yourself to be the future champions and best writers.

Tips only, Question and Answers should go to the QA thread.

Cypha

31-10-2008 11:14:28

Recently I noticed something I always do when I write a story and decided to share the idea with you, hoping this can help something for your writing. If not, sorry to bother your time.....

When I write stories, in regular one, run-on, ACC, or whatever, I usually start with a miserable draft, which only contains a boring storyline. But to improve that, I would add things by paying attention to three points listed below.

-----------------------------------------------
1. I would consider adding a few more adjective or adverb in a sentence, in order to make the sentence richer.

For example:

Instead of
"Kyra kicked Cypha's balls hard to make him cry."

I would write like
"Out of blue, Kyra's right foot swiftly smashed into Cypha's groin with a dull noise to throw him into the hell of pain. The tears helplessly oozed out from his eyes to make him look miserable."

2. I would consider adding description of the surrounding or more actions in order to make the readers feel more realistic.

Instead of
"Did you sleep with him? You bitch!"
Brittany asked.
"Yeah, so what? Bitch!"
Responded arrogantly by Christina.
"Funk you!"
Brittany shouted.
"Yeah, Funk you!"
Christina shouted back, and turned away.

I would write:
"Did you sleep with him? You bitch!"
Brittany stopped in the middle of the cafeteria, and turned to Christina with a grin.
"Yeah, so what? Bitch!"
Without caring almost hundred people at lunch quickly turned to them and glaring back straight to Brittany's eyes, Christina answer in a clear arrogant tone with putting both hands on her waist.
"Funk you!"
Brittany with a piercing look shouted back with bringing her face close to Christina's face to almost hit it.
"Yeah, Funk you!"
Christina shouted back making sure her spit being on the other girl's face, and turned to walk away from the hall leaving the sounds of her heals among the people's giggling and whispers.

3. I would consider describing the emotion to draw extra attention from the readers. If you are good at it, they would feel as if they were you.

For example,

Instead of
Cypha threw a punch to Odin's face. But the Sith Warrior quickly duck to dodge it, and give a quick upper cut back in a compact motion. Cypha was thrown away backwards, and fell into the ground with a thud.

I would write
Cypha suffered in agony, gathered all his rage onto his right fist, and threw it to Odin's smirking face. Nevertheless it was the last hope for Cypha, it was merely a piece of cake for the Sith Warrior to dodge it by a quick duck. With a roar, believing this could end this fight, Odin gave a quick upper cut back in a compact motion right onto the Arkanian's defenseless jaw to blow his arrogance away. Cypha was helplessly thrown away backwards, and fell into the ground with a thud. The Arkanian didn't know what else he could do, besides one could clearly see a hint of fear in his eyes....

Well, there is a downside of these. If you do this too much, usually the story would get too long or too much as you can see in my posts :P. But I think it usually works when I feel my writing is too slim and monotonous.