Transformers

Malidir

11-07-2007 10:31:45

You wanna know why the new movie is totally dumb, and a waste of anyone's money?

Stan Bush, who performed the songs "Dare" and "The Touch" for the 1986 film, composed two songs for the soundtrack and submitted them to the producers, but they were not included.

What else do you need besides that?

Tarax Kor

11-07-2007 10:44:07

...you fail. :P

Just stop now. Give up. :P

Lokasena

11-07-2007 11:40:06

there are a lot better reasons why the movie was not all it could have been.

1.Bumble bee=Camaro istead of a Volkswagen beetle.
2.Starscream=F-22 instead of anF-15
3.Megatron= well, I'm not sure what the heck he was, but it sure wasn't a gun.
4.The Humans were totaly annoying!
5.What happens to Scorpinoc?
6.Why is it always about America?
Etc. etc. etc...

Kaine Mandaala

11-07-2007 14:23:13

You wanna know why the new movie is totally dumb, and a waste of anyone's money?

Stan Bush, who performed the songs "Dare" and "The Touch" for the 1986 film, composed two songs for the soundtrack and submitted them to the producers, but they were not included.

What else do you need besides that?

Fanboys need to stop. The original movie was crap, especially that gay "The Touch" song. It annoys me that Weird Al's "Dare To Be Stupid" was in there, and a cameo from Eric Idle - why? They tried to take a 1/2 hour cartoon and stretch it into a full length film and it shows. It was garbage. It should have been an episode - or a three-part story arc at the very most.

This new one was directed by the guy who brought us Armageddon (aka Aerosmith Jukebox in Space) and Pearl Harbor ("Forget the war, I want a love story" garbage). Though I have been told Transformers is great (mostly by Transformers fanboys), I have not seen the new one strictly for that reason.

khan

11-07-2007 15:18:13

Kaine, in the end it's a decent movie.

+Megan Fox!
+The animations are amazing
+combat scene very good
+Both Autobots and Decepticons are actualy cool characters.
+The story is enjoyable.

-The human, expecialy the kid's parents
-The usual secret gov-sec-ops-knows-everything-in-advance thing..

Telona

11-07-2007 16:15:56

I didn't think it was all that bad. Yes they could have done things better but they could have done worse. I don't remember being a huge fan of the cartoon where I had to watch it every day no matter what but I did have some of the toys I played with instead of the Barbie dolls :P

Overall, I'd say if you are a mega fan don't see the movie but if you are a casual fan you'll enjoy it for the fight sequences. It's kinda like what EP1 was to your drooling geek of a fan verses what it was for the causal onlooker.

Tarax Kor

11-07-2007 16:42:24

If you relax yourself be open-minded the movie is more than enjoyable. I'm not a die-hard fan of the cartoons or action figures at all and I found it a great way to spend 2 hours and 24 minutes.

Yeah, there's some drawbacks. But so what?

Malidir

11-07-2007 17:55:06

My bad...I totally forgot about Megan Fox. Pretty damned hot.

Lokasena

12-07-2007 01:49:34

Yeah, the animations were very VERY good.
But why do diretors always feel the need to mold a vry much loved story, in to something that they think it should have been?

Fans are fans because of the old characters. If you make a movie like this, it is 1000% certain that you get fan feedback.
You also know what the fans love.
So why did he change so many things?

No wonder he gets bad reviews. I'm not a die hard fan, but there were some aspects of the old cartoons that I hoped to find. I didn't. that was dissapointing.

I vote for "More robots, less humans"
Not even "foxy babes" who, in the middle of an intense fight scene, feel the need to say "oew, I luv you so much..."

Demious

12-07-2007 02:31:43

There are really only two kinds of movie viewers in this world -Enjoyers and Critics. For this, the bulk of the enjoyers were people who were casual with the original Transformers or have never seen it (like me). While the critics would obviously fall upon the old time, die hard fans. I had no idea, walking into that theater, that Bumblebee was supposed to be a VW bug (though I could see where the name would suggest). Ultimately, when it comes down to choosing between old veterans of the series and newcomers, movie makers will always go for the n00bs. And the reason is like a cold hard fact of life.

And that fact is that n00bs are gonna live longer.

Sorry. Had to say it. I can already see you guys ordering your torches and pitch-forks. But it is the truth. The die-hard veterans' memories of the old series will go with them, while the n00bs will only remember that Transformers movie from back in 2007. Vets not like it? Oh, well that's alright, because all those n00bs who DID like it will look back fondly on it, and perhaps do a remake! Ha! An endless cycle!

In the end, film makers humor fans, but do not devote themselves. Ultimately, these movies are their jobs. They are in it for the money. Sure, if you can please a few fans on the way, go for it. But if they had to choose between pleasing fans and making enough money to equal the weight of the statue of liberty......yeah. I know which one I'D choose.

So go ahead - blame the filmmakers for being selfish, greedy pigs. Heck, I'd even join you (I GOTTA BONE TO PICK WIT U, MR. LUCAS!!!). But the next time you try to imply that one of them is stupid....

"Who is more foolish? The fool or the fool who paid to see the fool's movie?"

Lokasena

12-07-2007 03:32:30

well, if I hadn't paid to see it, then I couldn't b*tch about afterwards now could I :D

Jac Cotelin

12-07-2007 03:34:43

I actually have to agree a bit on Maladir a bit....I loved transformers, but the movie would have been 10000% better if at the end when the main guy pushed the allspark into megatron and killed him, the soundtrack blurted out "YOU'VE GOT THE TOUCH!!!"

"YOU'VE GOT THE POWER!!!!"

"YEAH!"

Malidir

13-07-2007 15:12:36

<3 for ze Jac

Adien Falaut

13-07-2007 15:32:28

I'll probably still wait till it comes out on video, but I was a fan of the cartoon way back so I'm sure I'll like it :P

Scuslem

13-07-2007 17:23:09

*bow*
It was alittle different, scheme wise, than the cartoon I watched with my boy. ( Yeah I got hooked! ) But I don't think it was a waste of my money to see. I've spent more to see, "supposdely", block busters that.....well, sucked! :)
OK movie, but I don't see a sequel in the works.

Aabsdu

13-07-2007 19:42:21

I liked it, the big battle was awesome, although I'm not quite sure what happened to that Mt. Dew robot that popped up

Btw, Dreamworks already ok'd a second and third sequel, read Wikipedia ;)

Transformers was better than Harry Potter, imo. At least T. had a good battle at the end, while HP had a whole seven minutes of fighting :(

Aidan Kincaid

14-07-2007 17:36:29

Transformers was sweet... I'm glad they didn't keep a lot of the original crap... Megatron as a gun would have been retarded in this movie :P As for Bumblebee - 2008 Camaro owns the [Expletive Deleted] out of a piece of crap VW any day.

I thought both Shia and Megan did great jobs... a hell of a lot better acting with CG characters than Episode 3 :P And the "love story" was almost non-existant really. In fact I would have loved to see a lot more of the action on top of Bumblebee at the end :P

Anyways... cool movie. Robot on robot action is teh sexy and there will definitely be sequels. It broke enough box office records that there's no way they'd kill off the franchise.

Jaysun Adumarii

15-07-2007 03:08:12

The reason Bumblebee was changed to a Camaro was because the Volkswagon company didn't want there product associated with a war, real or pretend. I actually enjoyed the movie alot, but each to his own i suppose.

Makurth Mandalore

16-07-2007 19:54:05

I think overall I'll give Transformers a 3/5. They had a lot of stuff in there that hooked me as a kid (anyone remember Cheetor?) thought I think the movie would have done better with the lack of humans.

Aidan Kincaid

17-07-2007 04:47:18

Cheetor was a part of Beast Wars... which wasn't about the autobots and decepticons? :P

Asani Vosa

17-07-2007 05:54:27

As for Bumblebee - 2008 Camaro owns the [Expletive Deleted] out of a piece of crap VW any day.

Whahahaha, that's a joke right? I get it... :P

Ein Folk, ein Wagen...!!! VW pwns :D

Makurth Mandalore

17-07-2007 21:33:32

Yeah Komari, I'm glad that was a joke! I'd hate to see a mob coming after you with murder on their minds :P

Lokasena

18-07-2007 04:10:43

*looks at Komari*

Hey you,
Make Acolyte yet?

You know what to do ;)

Makurth Mandalore

18-07-2007 13:19:50

Poor Komari! :P

Lokasena

18-07-2007 13:39:37

Poor Komari?

Nothing poor about a beautifull woman :P

Makurth Mandalore

18-07-2007 22:41:19

Naw, I meant poor in the fact that she can't come out to play with all the other kids :P

Timbal

19-07-2007 13:27:21

Ok, my own two cents. :)

Disclaimer: I'm 30 years old, so yes, I feel some nostalgia for the original cartoon series, as that was part of my childhood (Just like G.I. Joe... :P). But I'm by no means a hardcore fan. More like an admirer who is familiar with the characters.

Ok, now that that is out the way....

Sometime early last year when I heard that they were making a live-action Transformers movie, my first thought was like, "OH NOES, IT'S GOING TO TANK!" Thus, it was promptly ignored.

That sorta changed after the second trailer was released (The first one didn't cut it for me), but I thought, meh, Michael Bay movie = lots of car chases and explosions. Thus, I could wait for it on DVD.

I think my desire to actually see it in the theater changed after I saw the first TV ad. What little I saw made me say, "Man, that looks pretty cool!" Then the last trailer was released right before the movie came out, and some of the action sequences looked pretty decent, so I said, "What the hell, let me check it out."

Thus, I stepped into that theater with no big expectations other than some cool effects.

I really was pleased with the movie. Lots of action right away to grab your interest, and the movie rolled on with a fairly decent pace. The effects, of course, were ridiculously awesome, and the acting wasn't bad all around. However, Shia really did a good job here, I really wasn't expecting anything from him at all. I just thought to myself, "The kid from Even Stevens in Transformers? WTH?" But the kid pulled it off with some style. Megan Fox for me was just eye candy.

Being familiar with the original characters from the cartoon, I appreciated some of the references to it, and thought it was awesome that they got Peter Cullen to do OP's voice again. I wish they would have gotten the guys that did Megatron and Starscream's voices too, but meh, not too much of a big deal.

So, if you're going in with really no expectations, you'll come out pleased. I certainly did think it was worth my $60 (Three people plus food... X-) ), not to mention adding $15 to that total when it comes out on DVD. I think that's what they had in mind. They didn't market this to the fans, they did it for the masses that really had just passing familiarity with the license, which is the way to market a "blockbuster" movie. In all fairness, though, it seems that they did takes great pains to put in some fan requests in the movie. In fact, I think they probably put in more fan requests than any SW movie ever has, so that's saying something.

Just my two cents.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to add that by the time the new Camaro comes out I'll be about ready to replace my existing car. Seeing the new Camaro in the movie from multiple angles have seriously put that car on the top of my shopping list. ;)

Kaine Mandaala

19-07-2007 15:07:42

Timbal gave me the perspective of the film I was looking for. The friends I have get all worked up on the hype and are far more into Transformers than I am. I did like the original cartoon series - when it originally aired - but didn't really care for "Transformers The Movie".

Others I know who grew up in the same time period are a bit more fanatic about it than I am, and I can't really trust them too much. I think that they'd like it no matter what it was. On the other hand, I can trust that they'd be the first to down it for not being true to the original series.

In short - I was looking for the casual fan who probably hasn't watched the crap that came out after the original series stopped airing new episodes. Their opinion of the film would probably be as close to what I would think - except unlike Timbal, I don't care about cars. :P

Anonymous

25-07-2007 02:12:26

I thought it was a good summer movie. The robots 0wned. To touch up on a few gripes...

"1.Bumble bee=Camaro istead of a Volkswagen beetle."
The VW Beetle is [Expletive Deleted F-word]ing gay. If you're complaining about that, you're just being picky. Nobody likes the VW Beetle, and it would have given out a total "Herbie the Lovebug" vibe, especially considering how Bumblebee worked out in the first half of the movie. If you want a Beetle over a Camaro, you've got problems.

"2.Starscream=F-22 instead of anF-15"
Well, this is 2007. Not 1986. What's he going to do? Turn in to an obsolete, discontinued US Military Jet and get his ass kicked? The F-22 is modern, and this movie is modern.

"3.Megatron= well, I'm not sure what the heck he was, but it sure wasn't a gun."
He was an Alien Jet. You wanted Megatron to turn in to a gun in this? The whole gun idea was lame, even in the original cartoons. Who the hell wants to see Megatron turn in to a gun that he can't fire himself? That's retarded.

"4.The Humans were totaly annoying!"
Yeah. But at least the chick was hot. :P

"5.What happens to Scorpinoc?"
He goes in to the sand and dissapears. He's obviously around for a sequel. The same goes with the Police Car guy. I forget the name.

"6.Why is it always about America?"
Because Transformers was invented by Americans? The show was drawn by Japanese Anime Artists (the cartoon), but was an American conceived idea. It was created, and written, by Americans. The live action movie was also created by Americans. So obviously it's about America. Do you see me asking why Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is about Asians? "Why are those asian kung fu movies always about some place in asia!". Also, America owns you.

"Etc. etc. etc..."
All of your points were retarded.

Instead, you could have brought up a poor plot point with the energon cube, the bad acting, not enough transformers being shown, not enough transformers fighting, stuff like that. =P

Lokasena

15-02-2008 06:06:14

just because you disagree, does not give you the right to call me retarded.

Such words are for the verbaly impared.
But fear not, I feel your pain...
:P

Dralin

15-02-2008 12:01:59

"6.Why is it always about America?"
Because Transformers was invented by Americans? The show was drawn by Japanese Anime Artists (the cartoon), but was an American conceived idea. It was created, and written, by Americans. The live action movie was also created by Americans. So obviously it's about America. Do you see me asking why Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is about Asians? "Why are those asian kung fu movies always about some place in asia!". Also, America owns you.

Well, I think it was about America because it was directed by Michael Bay? Have you ever seen Independence Day? Seriously, one big "Go America!" commercial.