What type of computer?

Rannik

01-08-2006 19:03:43

OK, thats all the ones i know of if i missed any I will ask if someone can reset this...

Please, say whats your favorite computer company, and please, give a good explaination...

Cuchulain

02-08-2006 08:11:52

Apple are just cool, user-friendly, does-exactly-what-it-says-on-the-tin, did I mention cool. And now that you can use any prgram on them at all, they're even better. I'd ask Santa for an all-singing, all-dancing Apple computer this year, if I hadn't already been a really bad boy.

Malik

02-08-2006 12:24:54

Peh... real men build their own computers... it's cheaper too :P

Ylith Pandemonium

03-08-2006 07:02:02

Mac all the way

Cuchulain

03-08-2006 10:25:31

*Cooch high-fives Ylith and gives Malik the bird!

Yeah so what if you can't build Apple's yourself? That'd just put all those Apple Technicians out of a job and we don't want any more unemployment, do we? You can go on apple.com and it's so customisable that you can pretty much choose what colour wiring should go in the box. And it's not Miccro$hit unless you specifically want it to be. The problem is they're probably the most expensive option apart from the Mac Mini.

Malik

03-08-2006 15:29:06

As I said, building it yourself is cheaper :P

Kaine Mandaala

03-08-2006 16:16:43

I've been in the PC vs Mac war for too long to offer anything but the following thoughts to consider:

Each has its place. One is great at things the other isn't and vice versa.

As for the Microsoft slamming - remember, they made a standard. Sure there may be better things out there, but standardization was a major piece of what makes them important.

I'm partial to the IBM/Windows-based PC side of it because, up until recently, customization was not an option on Mac. Even still I'm not sure on their capabilities. Can you throw any video card you buy into a Mac?

Another piece of why I like Win PC is the amount of software available. Back when I worked in a video game store (consoles weren't so popular yet) we had nearly the whole store full of WinPC games and a Mac shelf. When I say shelf I mean a 3-foot wide section of one freestanding shelving units. I felt bad for the Mac people, but it reinforced my loyalty to my format of choice.

I'm still pretty neutral on the whole issue. I can see both sides but I have my preference. I like the options available to me with the Win PCs.

That and MacOS looks like it was designed for preschoolers. ;)

Dessan

05-08-2006 21:09:11

I'm partial to the IBM/Windows-based PC side of it because, up until recently, customization was not an option on Mac. Even still I'm not sure on their capabilities. Can you throw any video card you buy into a Mac?

Infact you can put any video card into a mac, all Macs are now intel compatible, anything you can put into a PC you can put into a mac (well anything minus a winmodem).

Another piece of why I like Win PC is the amount of software available. Back when I worked in a video game store (consoles weren't so popular yet) we had nearly the whole store full of WinPC games and a Mac shelf. When I say shelf I mean a 3-foot wide section of one freestanding shelving units. I felt bad for the Mac people, but it reinforced my loyalty to my format of choice.

Now most macs are running Intel chips (the same x86 processers in PC's, the only mac that doesn't is the G5 Power Mac) Which means that you can run windows on a mac (infact I have a few and windows runs faster on a mac) and that also means you can run any windows games.
(btw this also means you can run any operating system on the new macs.)

-Dessan

Kaine Mandaala

06-08-2006 11:39:50

Infact you can put any video card into a mac, all Macs are now intel compatible, anything you can put into a PC you can put into a mac (well anything minus a winmodem).
Now most macs are running Intel chips (the same x86 processers in PC's, the only mac that doesn't is the G5 Power Mac) Which means that you can run windows on a mac (infact I have a few and windows runs faster on a mac) and that also means you can run any windows games.
(btw this also means you can run any operating system on the new macs.)

-Dessan

I figured it was all different now.
From my standpoint (and that of a lot of the decision makers in the world) it's still two different worlds (Mac and WinPC).

I come from their meager beginnings, where - even for the ibm clones - customization (read consumer modifications and upgrades) were unthinkable. With my family's first computer, things like a math co-processor were separate! Yep, the good old 386 DX2 66. Hell I remember we were among the first people out there to get a "Sound Blaster" brand card from Creative Labs. 40MB HD, 8MB RAM... Who would ever need more than that? :D

Now I'm sitting here with my Audigy 2XZS, DVD-ROM, 160GB HD (w/ a 40GB slave), P4 2.4GHz and 3GB RAM... and it's not enough :)

Anyhow - now that Apple's levelled that field, I think I'll just say I'll stick with what I know and I know the IBM Clone/WinPC.

smoke20

06-08-2006 21:12:00

Im going with Falcon North West.

why? cause they pwn a alienware any day. Alienware or falcon are good gaming pc's but lets put it this way....alien ware you can get a good pc for around 1000-2000

Falcon you can get a good pc from 1500-2500.....

And the last one from Falcon I looked at the other day was 2700. Im building a faster 64mb pc for under 1700 that will smoke. So if you can find someone that is capable to build a pc...raninik I would suggest that route..build it, its cheaper, and you can put what ever you find out there in it.

From all the reviews I have read, and what I have seen....(since Ive only seen one of the Alien ware pc's) Id go with Falcon. Dell sucks, sorry...but Ive seen three systems go down too many times.

and my workplace supports Dell, as we get a huge discount for going through them. But they wont get my buisness..

If you build....go to a good wholesaler. www.newegg.com

Kaine Mandaala

06-08-2006 21:50:00

Im going with Falcon North West.

why? cause they pwn a alienware any day. Alienware or falcon are good gaming pc's but lets put it this way....alien ware you can get a good pc for around 1000-2000

Falcon you can get a good pc from 1500-2500.....

And the last one from Falcon I looked at the other day was 2700. Im building a faster 64mb pc for under 1700 that will smoke. So if you can find someone that is capable to build a pc...raninik I would suggest that route..build it, its cheaper, and you can put what ever you find out there in it.

From all the reviews I have read, and what I have seen....(since Ive only seen one of the Alien ware pc's) Id go with Falcon. Dell sucks, sorry...but Ive seen three systems go down too many times.

and my workplace supports Dell, as we get a huge discount for going through them. But they wont get my buisness..

If you build....go to a good wholesaler. www.newegg.com

Newegg is ok but they tend to be a rip-off on a lot of items. If you need something RIGHT NOW they're good (they even take PayPal). They have major deals every once is a great while. The RAM I bought was a great deal (3GB for about $200, when it was selling everywhere else for $130/GB), but when building a system you might be better off looking around.

I search around on:

http://www.tigerdirect.com

or

http://www.zipzoomfly.com

or if I'm not in too much of a hurry, I watch

http://www.techbargians.com

As for Alienware - I spec'd out a system on their site (adding all kinds of great options) at $6,500 a few months ago. It was "bleeding edge" technology, blah blah blah. Some scouting around for similar or better parts led me to build the same system for about $3,200.

Predator

08-08-2006 13:07:44

Alienware, for the simple reason that it is the only true star wars pc ever and for a minor little reason that I got work to pay (I just told them what I wanted and accounts approved it without looking very hard being trusted at work rocks!)

Go to the Alienware site and look at the star wars case dark side and drool!

smoke20

08-08-2006 17:28:07

yes a nice case.....for us Star Wars fans, but looks arent everything