Posting on topics

Shadow

10-02-2006 09:30:52

How r people expected to improve there posts counts if no body posts, i have several topics that i have posted on that have ended with me for days, people get yer acts into gear and post. :@

Malik

10-02-2006 13:42:43

maybe because some of those topics are several months old and have been discussed to the end already, and people who just post for their post count should go to the spam boards, that's what they're for.

Ceric Crimson

10-02-2006 18:34:45

*post*

...was that spam or on topic?

Hmm....

Malik

11-02-2006 04:19:55

if you have to ask then it's spam

Ceric Crimson

11-02-2006 12:41:36

I thought so. But doesn't this make the entire thread starter spam since its not part of Star Wars yet is on the "starwarsdiscussionboard"?

Rage

13-02-2006 06:38:24

We spammers are soooo misunderstood

Shadow

13-02-2006 08:38:27

actualy i meant to put this on the general forum, but put it here by accident, and to go back to maliks point posting on the spam board for a post count is utterly pointless gos they remove them after so long

Andan Taldrya Marshall

13-02-2006 15:09:40

Periods and the shift key are your friend, use them.

Esca

13-02-2006 18:42:17

You will just get your pathetic post counts back in a few days anyways, so purging the boards is nothing. And if you think it is pointless, I guess that means you should find a new 'career,' eh? :-)

~Esca~

Shadow

14-02-2006 04:43:38

u seem to have mis under stood me, i said that to try and get a permenant post count from the spam board is pointless, i just wish that people would reply to topics and not just let them stagnate

Malik

14-02-2006 05:41:25

Well you can only discuss a topic for so long before you either begin repeating yourself or get bored with it.

Shadow

14-02-2006 07:13:49

i can understand that, thats is the whole idea behind the spam board, i was refering to posts that dont get any replies for days on end, i have replied to sveral posts that are still on me as there last post, if these topics r no longer in use but need to be kept for reference then some one shud lock them off, then many of the issues around posting on old stuff would stop

Malik

14-02-2006 07:23:09

It would be an awful lot of work for an admin to go through every single board looking for dead threads.

Shadow

14-02-2006 07:23:49

no, get the mods to do it for there own boards

Malik

14-02-2006 07:28:07

It's still a lot of work that's not really necessary in most cases.

Shadow

14-02-2006 07:32:06

well its something that could be looked into if some one gest some spare time on the admin or mod side

Sildrin

14-02-2006 07:58:04

How r people expected to improve there posts counts if no body posts, i have several topics that i have posted on that have ended with me for days, people get yer acts into gear and post. :@

People are not expected to improve their "posts counts", they are expected to discuss constructively and to write on runons. Additionally if a discussion had settled down, it is obviously solved and there is no need to discuss anymore. If there are still questions, feel free to raise them - yes also in an old discussion - as long as they are constructive. I am sorry, but a post like "uh... what?" is not constructive. For those who still wishes to raise their post counter, simply use the spam boards.

Usually if people stick to such rules, a full-time administrator is not necessary.

In the end, I would even love to see this stupid posts counter being removed.

Sildrin

Malik

14-02-2006 08:10:05

Remove the postcounts... that's what I've said since the boards came up :P

Shadow

14-02-2006 08:22:47

hmm, yes that would solve many problems, to many members post counts may not be important but to members of the Spam board they are, though the situation has now changed with the spam board and the issue of posts is no longer a problem.

Xanos

14-02-2006 08:59:02

Here's an idea: start a NEW discussion about something people are interested in talking about.

There's a reason nobody posts on the old topics, because they are OLD. I've written pages and pages on things like the "Most Powerful Sith" discussion already, its bored the hell out of me, I've said all that needs be said, I don't intend to post on it anymore.

Ideas:

Discuss Empire at War
Discuss the upcoming Legacy comics
Discuss the upcoming Legacy of the Force novels
Discuss Outbound Flight
Discuss the effects of the Dark Nest novels
Discuss the upcoming Coruscant Nights novels
Discuss the upcoming TV series
Discuss the upcoming 3D cartoon series
Discuss the ongoing KOTOR comics
Discuss the ongoing Republic comics
Discuss the upcoming 3D Star Wars cinema re-releases
Etc.

But posting on old topics doesn't do anything but discourage posting. Most people are only interested in posting on a few topics, do they really want to come here to find thirty new posts on different threads? Are they really going to bother checking them all? Unlikely, especially old threads. If you want people to be interested enough to follow a topic and keep posting then drawing attention to dozens of older threads isn't the way to go about it. Most people don't have time to keep track of thirty different threads at once.

As for the "the mods should lock the topics then" idea... did we suddenly enter communism? Do the mods need to do everything for us? I'm sure we can all excercise enough common sense to not need them to engineer what we can and cannot talk about.

Ceric Crimson

14-02-2006 09:27:00

As for the "the mods should lock the topics then" idea... did we suddenly enter communism? Do the mods need to do everything for us? I'm sure we can all excercise enough common sense to not need them to engineer what we can and cannot talk about.

Certainly. It is the people that have a choice as to where they post and where they don't. If someone has an actual question that simply can't wait, they can...oh I don't know...pm their Consul or something.

ps: goddamit, I hate communism.

Shadow

14-02-2006 10:46:29

yes ceric *sarcasm*, what are you on about, since when did comunism ever become part of this topic, the pont i made about the mods was nothing to do with that, how are they supposed to manage topics if people like you say things like that

Andan Taldrya Marshall

15-02-2006 11:56:57

yes ceric

This is exactly what Sil was talking about with the idea of constructive posts. It doesn't further the discussion, it doesn't contribute in any way. It's spam; it does not belong on a topic outside of the spam board.

The only time that posting something like 'Ya, that's cool' is acceptable is in a discussion (i.e. new ACC policies) and you agree with what's been said before. However, generally when you agree with something you state specifically what you like about it, what is a good idea but could use a little tweeking, something along those lines. That way you don't end up with a 1 line post that just makes you look like a spammer.

Shadow

16-02-2006 04:18:53

my apolagies, i actualy meant it as a sarcastic comment, i will edit it as appropriate

Ceric Crimson

16-02-2006 08:04:45

note the "communism", bit just there. yeah. thats how I got it. It was perhaps a poor attempt at jest at the end of a relevent comment, though I no longer recall the true reason for the statement.

Shadow

16-02-2006 08:54:35

ok then ceric but can we get back to the item in question, oh and another thing, is it only spammers that care about post counts, cos from other conversations i have had it seems that posts counts are not important to most members, even on here they have talked about them being scrapped, am i the only one who looks at this idea with dread.

Ceric Crimson

16-02-2006 15:11:37

I suppose you are the only one that "dreads", yes...my being a Spam Lord, however...I do in fact find it disturbing, to say the least.

Kaine Mandaala

16-02-2006 16:22:51

Who needs postcounts? It's not like this is viewed as "activity" for the DJB. I guess I'm rather detached from the whole concept of being desperate for activity seeing as how I'm not only Dark Prophet but now a Rogue.

Spam sucks, and I'll delete posts that are blatant spam without notice or explanation.

Ceric Crimson

16-02-2006 20:57:51

You have no authority in my land, Kaine! :P

And that is how it shall stay!

*runs back to the spam boards*

Shadow

17-02-2006 04:10:24

amen to that coment ceric, i think i will join u, it appears that us spammers will have to stick together. and it also appears that this topic has come to and end due to the fact that spamming has started to emerge. thank you everyone who has posted on this topic you views were very helpfull.