Gamer's Manifesto

Tarax Kor

10-11-2005 00:54:32

20 things Gamers want from the seventh generation gaming console.

Several exerpts:

Confusing, mapless floor plans. Did you remember when you were a kid and you got bored on weekends, how you would go to a large building, a hotel or a hospital, then wander around for several hours looking for a certain room? While zombies attacked you? Neither do we. That's because, much to the surprise of FPS game makers everywhere, wandering around lost in hallways isn't fun.

2. Give us a genre of game we've never seen before. Something that's not an FPS or an RPG or Madden NFL or...

Why isn't a there a spy game where we actually get to be a real spy rather than a hallway-roving kill machine? You know, where we actually have to talk to contacts and extract information and tap phones and piece together clues, a game full of exotic locales and deception and backstabbing and subplots? A game where a gun is used as often as a real spy would use it (that is, almost never)?

Where's the game where we're a castaway on a deserted island and the object of the game is to find food and clean water and build a shelter, a game where we can play for one month or six months, because whether or not we get rescued is randomized? Where every time we restart we get a different island with different wildlife and vegetation and water sources?

Where's the game where we play a salty Southern lawyer who has to piece together evidence to exonerate a black man falsely accused of murder, breaking down witnesses and spotting inconsistencies in testimony?

What law says I have to start out the game with none of the fun [Expletive Deleted] promised on the box art? Again, is this not just a cheap way of extending the life of the game? In FPS games built entirely on the anticipation of using gigantic, phallic-symbol weapons, why not start me out with a damned machine gun and 200 rounds of ammo and go up from there?

Racing games pull this, too. Why do I have to spend 40 hours driving a minivan just to get enough money to buy a Honda Civic? Why can't I have access to all of the content right away? What if I don't feel any satisfaction in "unlocking" the game features I already paid real-life money for and just want to [Expletive Deleted F-word]ing race the Ferrari on the box art!

Salth Khan

08-12-2005 15:02:32

A big AMEN to that brother! >:)

Uzbad

09-12-2005 13:55:53

True, true, mainly about the box art idea. I hate having to 'unlock' crap.

Ikusa Proujekuto Thanato

12-01-2006 08:47:01

yea all of this stuff is true man!
especially the god forsaken quest for some random like key or something, when you could just blatently kick the door in or cut it with your (far too long and impossible to lift) sword (final fantasy VII)...

plus the difficulty part

eg... After about 36 tries...

BOSS HP; 00001
YOUR HP; 001

you get hit...:blink:(a few seconds to react) ...NOOOOO!!

:@ AAAAGGGGGGHHHH!!
me smashes controler on the floor

GAME OVER...AGAIN!

y,y,y,y,y,y,y... :'(

then people go and say the "computer cheats"... well...it probably does

Jaymz

13-01-2006 10:13:12

That was perfect.

Sith Bloodfyre

13-01-2006 14:12:52

Hence, why I think "playing fair" is for pussies. When I get a new game (unless I'm buying it specifically for the intellectual challenge it could possibly have, or if I'm interested to see what kind of storylines they've put together) I go straight for cheat codes. You can play through SP all you want, and talk about how much better you are, because you didn't have to use cheats, or unlock godmode, but I can always say that I had fun blowing [Expletive Deleted] up, or I had fun starting out with everything you could possibly have.

Lanius Sin

17-01-2006 02:36:47

When i buy a new game i rarley use cheat codes, unless the game proves to be too hard or boring to warrent any furtler time wasted.
Some of us, myself included, prefer to have a goal to strive for in a game (such as unlockables etc) otherwise the game would be over far too quickly..
Immagine buying a new racing game for full price, taking it home and being able to use the fastest car without unlocking it. after a few days the experience would be verry boring.
or immagine playing an rpg where you didnt have to upgrade your stats/LvL up or find new items or weapons.... it would be the worst rpg ever.
so i guess my point is that games need to have extra unlockable content or they would end up being second rate arcade house of the dead wannabes.
and for evryone else that dosnt like to work at a game theres always tetris 8oP

Ikusa Proujekuto Thanato

18-01-2006 11:06:40

When i buy a new game i rarley use cheat codes, unless the game proves to be too hard or boring to warrent any furtler time wasted.
Some of us, myself included, prefer to have a goal to strive for in a game (such as unlockables etc) otherwise the game would be over far too quickly..
Immagine buying a new racing game for full price, taking it home and being able to use the fastest car without unlocking it. after a few days the experience would be verry boring.
or immagine playing an rpg where you didnt have to upgrade your stats/LvL up or find new items or weapons.... it would be the worst rpg ever.
so i guess my point is that games need to have extra unlockable content or they would end up being second rate arcade house of the dead wannabes.
and for evryone else that dosnt like to work at a game theres always tetris 8oP

i agree.

i try to complete the game first, THEN use the cheat codes otherwise whats the point?? :huh:

oh that reminds me... has anyone got American action replay cheat codes for metal gear solid 3!! i cant find them on the internet, i "had" to get a copy before it was launched here in sunny England (it is raining...AGAIN!)

but what's wrong with tetris?? it's a good old classic like Mario......

...(plays for 10 seconds)...

OK i see what you mean!