Return to the Shadows (Run-on)

Anshar

03-02-2012 20:35:22

This thread will contain our run-on. While there are some goals for the story itself, it will ultimately go where the house leads it. Please read the following general rules (first post will follow)General Run-on Rules

1. You might be a Dark Jedi. You might even have your lightsaber. But you are not a god (or goddess). Even Elders are not gods, but they can certainly do a whole lot more than any Equite or Journeyman. In short, godmoding is strictly prohibited and can result in your post being deleted or even death (see rule#2).

2. You are mortal. Death is a viable option for your character. Yeah, you’ve got the Force, but that didn’t really help Qui-Gonn, Darth Maul, Obi-wan, Palpatine, Order 66 casualties, or any other Force user who met an early end, now did it? You put yourself in a hole and you might just end up staying there.

3. Stick to the setting and scenes. As expansive as the Star Wars galaxy is, we’re not running/flying around all over it (unless the story calls for it).

4. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Yes, the Golden Rule applies here as well. Respect other characters and don’t write them doing something stupid or terribly out of character. Consult the wiki, their character history, or better yet, the member themselves.

5. Following rule #4, never kill another member character without their permission. In the event of serious injury, let the other member character either tell you what to do, or let them write it themselves.

6. What happens in this run-on is permanent for your character. Whether you lose an arm, adopt a herd of banthas, or anything in between, you’re stuck with it and must deal with it.

7. The unit is the character in this story and you are a part of the unit. Aim for continuity in the story; get advice from others on where to take your post.

8. Avoid excessive details where you can. The paint job on your own personal ship (that you somehow have) is not a valid subject for the run-on.

9. Once your post is made, do not go back and edit anything except for grammar and spelling. Otherwise, you stand a good chance of screwing the story up. It also helps to proof read your post before you post it.

10. Posts that excessively detract from the storyline or contain large amounts of godmoding will be marked for deletion and ignored. It is not our goal or desire to keep anyone off the playground, but we will if we must.

11. You may call the next post. Once this is done, you only have three (3) hours to get your post up. After that, your call can be ignored by others. Do not stack called posts; only one at a time.

12. There should be at least two people between your own posts, though three or more is highly preferred.

Anshar

03-02-2012 20:52:38

Anshar stood before the assembled house members at the entrance to De’hnaalia. Though nestled against the mountains, the summer time weather had significantly warmed the area.

“I know many of you may see this as a simple exercise,” said Anshar. “One of little importance. However, rebuilding this fortress to a useable condition is important to the defense of Tarentum. Master Khyron, the Sith King, has commanded that we conduct this investigation of these ruins. I do not know what awaits us, but I know that if there is any danger, we will face it as a house and overcome it. Now, let’s go.”

With a wave of his hand, the aedile opened the giant stone doors to the fortress. For the first time since Tarentum had came to the Yridia system, they entered the ancient structure.

JasonHunter

03-02-2012 22:15:26

Jason Hunter stood near the rear of Tarentum's group. His sapphire eyes took in his surroundings from behind his violet locks, which flapped annoyingly across his gaze in the breeze, as he listened to Anshar give his speech. He was only half-listening, for he was paying more attention to the impressions that the Force was bringing him on its' own wind.

He could feel the youthful exuberance of the journeymen, but he picked up most on the unease and apprehension from his elder compatriots that had fought alongside him in years past.

There was something oddly familiar in all of this, and Jason wasn't keen on it. If this was to be anything similar to the event on the Swords Sheath, as he had heard whispers of, he was going to strike back hard and heavy as he should have then. Too many had fallen then--too many had fallen during his time away from the Clan, and now House--and he had almost lost one that was very close to him. In the end, she had walked away from him and the life the Brotherhood offered, so he had lost her in the end anyhow.

But this was not the time to reflect on the past and his failures. As Anshar turned and opened the slate doors with the gesture of a hand, Jason snatched his lightsaber from his belt and gathered the Force about himself. He was going to be ready for anything this time, no matter what presented itself.

egregious

04-02-2012 02:30:44

Days Prior- Egregious’s cabin Castel Tarentum

Legs crossed and hovering about the deck of his stolen freighter, Egregious slipped into a meditation trance. Feeling the force flow through him he released himself into the dark currents of the force. Letting his thoughts go, darkness was all around him. He focused on a pinpoint of light. Using the techniques his master Merlance has taught him he pulled and tugged the image closer using the force and his will of his mind.
Images spewed forth into his mind. He could barely control the flow. His body convulsed as he saw himself being stabbed brutally, then it was gone replaced by Castel Tarentum’s great explosion only to fade and to be replaced by Yardia’s implosion. Again and again his visions saw nothing but the destruction, never a way out… or so he thought. He pushed the light back in his mind and focused the force on the code. His lips moved as he cleared his mind.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Egregious exhaled and drew in another deep breath pushing the emotions and visions from his mind.

Through passion, I gain strength.
Focusing his force from the thought of a river raging throughout him her confined it manilpulating its currents to be fast flowing but in control.

Through strength I gain power.
His breaths became more controlled, more consistent. Random objects in the room began to lift around him orbiting his floating body.

Through power, I gain Victory.
Then like being slapped hard his body convulsed. A vision of a mouth of a cave face flashed past. Then decorated entrance of a temple, strange symbols decorated the massive doors. A deep rooted chant filled his ears thrumming on and on in his head. It was old. He could not understand the language, but it seemed familiar. He was barely holding on to his thoughts as he drifted further into the depths of the cave.

Through victory, my chains are broken.
Egregious eyes were wide open in shock. His eyes were rolled in the back of his head, his back was arched and crackles of energies were flowing up and down his body. He was still levitating; things were still swirling around him. In his mind he was visioning his new clan descending into the depths. Into the darkness they went and his vision was abruptly cut off with a massive flash of bright light.

The force shall free me
Breathing the last of the code he passed out. Falling to the floor slumped over his knees backwards. Then the floating objects crashed to the floor. The noise startled his master and he stepped into the cabin.

Rushing over he griped his apprentice. Pulling him upright by the shoulders, his palm met his face.
“Wake up.. What Happened in here?” Merlance questioned “What were you doing?”

“M..Master I was meditating… A vision struck my mind…… It.. It isn’t good. “ Egregious replied rubbing the back of his head.

“A vision you and I both know your connection with the force is still spotty Egregious, your long hibernation and your seclusion have left you weak in the force, the only reason I took you as a apprentice was because since you arrived on Yardia you haven’t given up at anything you have tried to do” Merlance stood stepping lightly through the mess in the cabin.

“Master this vision, I think it was the force trying to tell me something… something that is either coming to Yardia, or something hidden here, I saw destruction master, Tarentum’s destruction” Egregious held up his hand and a cup of water shot to his grasp. He took a long draw on the cool liquid. “Master I need to tell the others.”

“No.. They do not trust you. It was long ago that they just as rather dismember you and throw you out an airlock for finding this place. “Merlance stroked his chin opening himself to the force. Egregious had no deceit in him, and he was emitting emotions of fear and deep coldness. “Your emotions betray you Egregious. Your emotions must be kept close; others would be keener to use them against you”

Egregious’s scowled at the floor his fist clenched on his knee “ Yes my master, I .. I understand” what should I do about this vision.
“Well let’s get more info a cave you say… I have heard reports of a complex in the north, used by pirates mostly.” Merlance spoke as he paced the cabin “there are a few cantinas’ in town go there and find out if they are still being used. I will do some research myself it is interesting that the force brought you to us, then these visions. And since you think they are so important, I cannot deny the force is strong with you on this. “

“Yes my master” Egregious rose to leave but Merlance held up his hand.

“First my young apprentice why don’t you clean up this mess first how can you get anything done with everything on the floor, we must assemble soon Anashar is preparing a team, he says its important, but other than that I am in the dark”

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Present Day at the entrance to De’hnaalia.

Egregious stood just behind his master. His hands were clasped behind his back. His robe and dress was simple but practical. He wore a vibroblade on his hip, and a VibroSword was slung over his back. He was intently listening not only to Anshar but also listening to the surroundings. Egregious's memory of the days prior flooded his mind.

His anticipation and the secret his master made him keep, clouded his thoughts. However this place seemed oddly familiar, but it also seemed different. He shifted his glance up to the large doors. His mind tried to make sense of the carvings. It seemed ancient. He himself is rumored to be old, but his mind could not recall any writing like this. Anshar opened the door and Egregious let his master take the lead ahead of him.

Sarconn

04-02-2012 21:13:33

Tor'Fel watched his new House-mates slowly enter the ruins. That stale, dank air filled his keen sense of smell. Keeping himself in the back of the group the young Noghri slowly followed. He did this not out of fear or apprehension, instead he remained cautious, he tried to read the expressions on the faces of several apprentices. Their faces either showed determination or excitement, but alas Hazzan couldn't read their expressions as well as he hoped.

The light giving way to shadows, Tor'Fel looked forward into the old fortress. The group moved at an even slower pace, the Elders moved to the front of the pack, as the younger Journeymen almost stopped in their tracks. Reaching out with his senses, Hazzan felt a chill run up his spine. Something felt off, almost foreboding, but he couldn't sense past the deep taint of the Dark Side. He gripped his lightsaber nevertheless, and held it away from him, at ready to leap towards its master's defense.

You're a Sith, he scolded himself, act like it.

Using his nerves to sharpen his already heightened senses, whatever awaited them, it would not catch him off his guard.

Anshar

05-02-2012 02:10:40

The air upon entering the fortress was stale with the slightest hint of mold and mildew. It had been some time since Tarentum had been in the fortress, though there had been much speculation about using it. And, that was part of the reason for this mission: to find a use for the facility. But, Anshar knew that there was more to this than it appeared; Khyron would not have taken a sudden interest in the facility for the house’s benefit without just cause. Actually, for that matter, Khyron had never taken such a direct role in the house’s affairs. Even from his time as Consul of Clan Tarentum, Anshar could not remember receiving orders from Khyron. Some might suggest that Zero was merely throwing a name around, but Anshar knew all too well that Zero would not casually throw his master’s name around. The Sith King was not one whose name you used lightly.

The members of Tarentum walked only a short distance before they arrived at the main foyer where light still showed. This is where the various hallways that led to each key area, including, but not limited to, the main command center, the hanger, the generators, and the barracks. “Alright,” said Anshar, “we will split up here. We need to locate the generators and see if we can get them working. Maybe we can get some lights running so we can free up our hands from our glowrods and lightsabers. Anything that you might find that relates to the history of this place, please make a note of it. We know that many groups have used this over the years, and I’m interested to know who and what has used it.” Anshar scanned the group before him.

“Egregious, I want you to take some members and locate those generators,” ordered Anshar. “Jason, I want you to lead a team towards the hangers and see what is going on there. If we’re to make this place operational, I would much rather be able to fly supplies and people in directly.”

“And what about you?” asked Jason, his air of skepticism easily observed by all those involved. Anshar didn’t blame him; he was equally as blind to what they may or may not find, but the Sword’s Sheath still rang true in his mind. They had been thrown to the wolves, then, and it had almost gotten people killed.

“Dranik and I will explore deeper,” said Anshar. He paused for a moment. “Before we split up, let me go ahead and tell everyone that I think there is more here than we imagine. I’m sure even the newest of us here can sense the darkness below. I want to know what is causing this; it could simply be Force impressions from millennia ago. We know that the Force coalesces and lingers in places, and this may be one of them. If there is any danger, I will alert all of you. Of course, that is all the more reason to get this place up and running so we don’t have to deal with the dark corridors and rooms. Does that satisfy you, Jason?”

“Honestly, no. But if we’re all going into this blind, at least you’re admitting it,” he said. “Alright, who wants to join me in finding the hanger?”

“This is not a test, Maxamillian, but more of a cleansing,” said Zero as the two sat across from one another in their private room on the third floor of the Amicus Club. “Truth be told, we don’t know if there is anything down there or not. However, Master Khyron is concerned that the Keepers, or elements within them, are intent upon making some moves on Tarentum.” The Marshall leaned forward, his hands folded together with his elbows resting on the table.

“Correct me if I wrong, but are you not one of the Keepers, Zero?” asked Oberst pointedly.

“I am, but I have found myself largely cut off,” replied Zero. “Besides, my loyalty lies with Khyron.”

“Then why are you asking me to go?” asked Oberst. “I am not one for scavenger hunts. Could you not be there when they break that seal that you told me about?”

“I could, but, if our suspicions are correct, then I would be doing far more harm than good,” replied Zero. “Remember, that fortress was once a battleground for sects of Keepers. My presence when the deal is broken could attract some, shall we say, unwanted parties.”

egregious

05-02-2012 13:35:45

Egregious looked shocked as Anashar pointed at him and commanded he lead the team to the generators. His eyes glanced to his master, who looked distracted and uninterested in the command.

“Master should you be leading this team… I’m just an apprentice.” Egregious spoke, his eyes held low in reverence.

Merlance just raised his palm to cut the young apprentice off “it is fine besides you need the training. So my young apprentice, tell me; who will you pick to join us on our little adventure?”

Egregious scanned the room taking note of everyone there crossing their names with his data pad. Egregious was new to Tarnetum, but quickly he started to amass note of info on the new Sith in his life. “Saronyx seems like she could be an asset, If we are to get the generators running she could be helpful in slicing the computer maintenance systems”

Merlance nodded “ Saronyx Come join Egregious and Myself in finding these generators you would prove useful no?”

Saronyx turned her head and her lekku fell over her back as she turned. She walked over to the Sith and commented “Funny I thought you two were just going to go in there all alone, and take all the fun for yourselves” she grinned as she approached the two Sith.

Egregious stepped forward bowing his head with respect as he spoke “Mistress Saronyx please you were born on this planet surely you know some lore about this place, herd rumors, know people that lived here.”

Her lekku rippled down her back at the question “Egregious please, this place not only is rumored from everything from phantom crime lords to strange beasts… I do not think anyone could guess what’s held in this place”

“Keep your comlinks on and use your data pads to consistently map your location I don’t want anyone getting lost in here… If you find trouble report it before you decide to take action...” commanded Anashar.

At this Egregious checked his equipment belt and readied his glow rod as he started down the corridor that Anashar pointed to start his search. They were casually walking down the corridor. Eyes taking in the light were the glow rod illuminated. Egregious noticed Merlance’s hand on his hilt of his lightsaber. The small groups steps sent tiny echos down the chamber as they rounded a corner.

Deeper down the corridor Egregious thought he saw something move against the wall and he pulled out his data pad to scan for biological. No reading was found “ Uh… master I think something is down there but I am not reading any biological, however there is a low electrical signal coming from around the next bend”

Saronyx responded by igniting her lightsaber. “You did read the scouting reports didn’t you? It is probably just the repair droids that have been rumored down here or its one of those ice devil things”

“You mean those beasts that can track the force in their prey? Come on Sronyx you can’t tell me you believed that rubbish “Merlance chuckled as he spoke “surely there is nothing here it is just the light playing tricks”

“Master I beg to differ I have something on scan and it is headed our way!”

Sarconn

05-02-2012 14:24:29

Hazzan watched as his fellow members split into two groups. Egregious nervousness oozed through the Force, but soon turned into determination as he chose Saronyx to accompany his team. The Noghri almost included himself in their group, but thought better of it. Saroynx and his Master had a connection, and he was the cause of its abrupt end.

Grinning at the past memories, he watched the group walk down the corridor before the darkness swallowed them whole. Turning around he noted several places that he recognized from his Master’s teachings, Sarconn had always tried to instill the House’s lore into him, but he never cared for such old stories.

“Hey, you!” someone shouted, “Your with us.”

Looking over, he found the origin of the voice coming from the Krath named Jason. Walking over to him Hazzan could see the Priest’s sapphire eyes in the dark, as if it were the photoreceptors of a droid.

“What is your name?” Hunter asked.

“You can call me Hazzan,” the Noghri curtly responded.

“Strange, I wonder why you didn’t go with Egregious’s team. Wouldn’t you have a better chance to prove your worth with them?”

“If I wanted glory, I wouldn’t be going with a team.” the Sith answered with a hint of amusement.

The Krath grinned at the Noghri’s response, then he turned to lead his team down the opposing corridor from the one Egregious’s team walked down.

egregious

06-02-2012 11:25:51

Egregious pulled his vibroblade from his hip sheath and the Vibrosword off his back. Covering the Two from the rear, Egregious and the others slowly walked down the hall in a triangle formation. Using the force Egregious opened himself and felt a cold presence, like something wanting and watching them.

The beast was watching from up high on the wall. Its claws were sunk deep into the rock. Its scarlet eyes were slightly closed. Stalking its prey it slowly inched down the wall. His mouth watered as he saw a meal that could last at least a week. The beast lowered himself into a crouch and sprang down on the group.

Egregious felt danger tingle down his spine and instantly swung his sword. The well-honed blade connected with something fleshy and there was aloud feral howl in the confined space. The other two turned and saw the beast severed in two writhing on the cold stone floor. The beasts blood was painted over egregious.

“Well at least we know that some legends can be true” Merlance came closer and took a sample. ”Maybe if we can train these beasts we could have some excellent natural defense.”

The three then walked making sure to scan high and low. The hall lead into a chamber. Along each wall were ancient data terminals.

“I have never seen anything such as these” Saronyx was trying to bring online basic systems. She pulled out her data pad and hooked it up to the terminal. Pulling a glow rod from her belt she coaxed the battery cell from the device, then hardwired it to the terminal. “Looks like I can get this one powered for few seconds… It looks like a droid control system.”

“What type of droids and are they functional?” Inquired Merlance

“Seems to be maintenance droids, some loader droids and some ship maintenance droids in the hangar…Wait it seems they are looped to repair a section to the east.” Saronyx was dutifully taping keys. The lights in the chamber flickered on for a second, and then her terminal flashed red.

“That doesn’t look good “Egregious was scanning the room and documenting the layout.

“Well I recalled the tasking droid it is supposed to instruct the others to fix the systems in this complex.. It’s odd this code is so old and outdated.“ Just then an old model droid wheeled into the room. It’s clear dome flashed with lights and sensors. This thing was not just old it was archaic. Its outer colors were brass and silver. It had a spindly body.

“Hello I am Rx-9 Tasking Droid, How may I be of service?” Rx-9 was rocking back and forth, either its balancing servos were misfiring or it was about to crash out.

“Rx-9 what is the status on the generators “ Egregious spoke as he approached the droid, clicking keys on his pad as he walked.

Rx-9 lights in his top dome flashed and a antenna shot up from his shoulder “Electrical generation capabilities of this facility are at 32% capability… All electrical systems have been deemed secondary to main protocol”

“Rx-9 I need you to set Systems in this room to primary function” as Egregious spoke he closed in his distance from the droid quickly and his hand place the data link bolt in an instant. The droid’s head dome was clicking back and forth as it was considering the command.

“Pri…Prim...Primary systems changed Master Egregious Diverting power to lighting and engineering data terminals… Est. Estam….Estimated time to restoration of electrical generators will be 3452 days 13 hours and 32 seconds.” The droid then rolled over to a data terminal.
Egregious turned to the other two and shrugged “I reprogramed a restraining bolt to override his prime command…. He should be tasking the others to online the power systems “
As he spoke the lights came on dim and there was a rumble below their feet as it came online.

“Main power generator is coming online, but it looks like there is a problem with the secondary power systems… They are located down below... We won’t be able to bring up main systems till all three generators are online.” Saronyx detached her data pad and over her shoulder “Are you coming boys or am I going to do everything myself “

JasonHunter

06-02-2012 23:38:10

Jason watched as the other group disappeared into the darkness of their hallway. Soon, the light of their glowrods disappeared as well. He looked off down the hall that was indicated by Anshar to take him and Hazzan towards the hangar. It looked to be just as dark and foreboding as the one that Egregious, Merlance and Saronyx had plunged into.

Of course, it made sense that Anshar would have him check out the hangar. Having served as a pilot for the TIE Corps of the Emperor's Hammer before, and having been a Sith when all they did was fly starfighters, Jason was an experienced and skilled pilot. He still flew quite a bit on his own, and in combat situations for the Brotherhood when situation dictated. But that was not his primary calling any longer. Nonetheless, anything having to do with a hangar, he was well suited for.

"Well, it's not going to get any more inviting by staring at it, is it?" With a shrug, Jason pulled a head lamp from a pouch on his belt and strapped it around head. That would allow him to see, and keep his lightsaber readily at hand. Which hadn't left his hand since before entering the fortress.

Depressing a button near his left temple, two small, yet bright banks of lights lit up and illuminated the passage in front of him. The light gave off a minute blue hue which contrasted slightly with the natural brown of the stone and cast deep shadows across the rough walls.

Jason looked back over his shoulder at the Noghri who had identified himself as Hazzan and gave him one of his trademark Solo-esque smirks. Didn't every Corellian have one of those kinds of smiles? "Shall we make our way to the hangar?"

Sarconn

07-02-2012 01:28:11

Hazzan started to walk down the dimly lit hallway, concentrating on using to Force to see for him rather then relying on his eyes. The information that was given back to him was clouded by the residual taint on the Dark Side, like looking through murky water. There was however, something off about the it.

“There is something in the hanger,” the Noghri commented, “and it is a catalyst of this taint.”

The Priest looked almost amused at Tor’Fel’s comment, as if he said a half funny joke.

“Are you saying that we already accomplished our mission?”

The Sith stopped in his tracks and looked over his shoulder at the human. His anger welled up in his chest at the stupidity of the comment, but evaporating into a sigh of frustration when he saw the Corellian trademark grin plastered on his face.

“You don’t understand human expressions do you?” Jason asked as they resumed their slow walk.

“No.” the Knight responded, “ Nor do I understand why your species must make everything a joke.”

“Well, I can see your going to be a bundle of joy to be around.”

Despite himself, Hazzan managed to grin. Maybe he misjudged humans, but he would retain his judgment to after he saw their fighting abilities. He didn’t see humans as inferior, just the opposite. Humans had no biological advantages as the Noghri had, but they managed to overcome most obstacles. They have proven however that they lacked the ability to overlook the selfishness that ran rampant in the species. In a fight though, you could never hide your true self.

Snapping out of his thoughts, Hazzan saw the last barricade between them and the hanger. Placing his hand on the pad, the door slid open and revealed an open cavern, both spot lights and landing lights lit up, casting a pale blue hue in the entire cavern. Both Krath and Sith activated their sabers in an instant. In the middle of the open space laid a long abandoned shuttle, the lights reflecting off its preserved hull.

The ship was not the reason the duo moved to their respective fighting stances. The cause was the larger then expected normal pack of Ice-Devils that dwelled in the cavern.

egregious

07-02-2012 13:06:56

Egregious watched the Twi’lek turn and leave the room, the red glow from the onlineing data terminals gave her an ire glow. She reached out with the force and the door in the room slid open releasing dust and stale air into the room. “Rx-9 you’re coming with us I need you to interrupt the data terminals on the generators and to bypass any security terminals that we find on our way.”

The spindly droid turned his clear bright-lighted head “Yes Master Egregious, I should warn you the bulk of the droids in this facility haven take orders form fleshies in quite some time”

Egregious looked at the droid, and wondered if he misplaced the bolt or if the programing didn’t match. He was sure he set it for direct responses. Shaking it off he cleared his mind “Rx-9 can you link the data to the generation room.“ The droid beeped and flashed and the map appeared on his data pad.

Coughing Saronyx looked around the corner and peered into the hallway “It doesn’t seem like anyone has been in here in centuries.” There was a feint glow coming from the light panels in the base of the stone wall. The walls were arched high above them and the pulsing lights as the slowly powered laid long shadows and played with the eyes.

Into the wall columns were carvings of various beasts. And sub servants, it looked like a primitive of the natives of Yridia Then the High Hall lead down curving below the room they were just in. The three moved in unison. Their training in combat and recon made them work as one even though they have never worked together before.

Rx-9 took the lead and his flashing dome lighted the walls with flashing colors. The light in this room was dim and low. The three moved in unison to the center of the room when both dark Jedi ignited their blades, with a snap-hiss. Egregious took his sword and blade in hand.

Sarconn

07-02-2012 23:16:31

The dark Jedi watched as the Ice-Devils stirred from their somber trace and seem to take notice that they were no longer alone. Hazzan had read that scouting reports and he knew that the creatures did not make this cavern their den, they were instead drawn here by the Force.

As the thought race across his mind, a surge of Dark Side energy flashed from somewhere deeper in the fortress. The Sith couldn’t pinpoint its position, but the surge seemed to set the beasts into a killing frenzy. Both Tor’Fel and Jason watched the large pack turn on each other, ripping themselves apart in a gory deathmatch.

A few of the Ice-Devils - the ones circling the bloody match - turned towards the duo, seemingly just realizing they were there. As the creatures paired off with the darksiders, the Noghri saw that he had three on the Devils to contend with.

Moving into his Makashi stance, holding his hilt chest level with it pointing up, to those old enough, would have resembled a classic move made famous by Count Dooku. Looking past the light made by his crimson blade, Hazzan swung his saber down and toward the right, holding the blade pointed away from himself in his readied stance.

The Ice-Devils seemed curious of the movement as the studied him with their heads cooked to the side. The lead beast regained its composure first, readying itself for a pounce. Hazzan frowned at the obviousness of the Devil, and relying on his quick reflexes, cut the creature in half in mid-pounce.

“For all your mystery,” the Noghri remarked, staring into the dying eyes of the Devil, “you are still just a primitive hunter.”

It was after this comment that his danger sense hit him hard. Rolling instinctively back, he was surprised when two shadows passed harmlessly over him. Back on his feet in a flash, Hazzan’s anger welled up in his chest.

Stupid, Tor’Fel scolded silently, You let the other two flank you.

Turning his anger into a fuel, Hazzan raised his left hand, as if reaching for a cup and lashed out in the Force. The left most Devil started audibly coughing, gasping for breath that seemed to elude its lungs. The second Ice-Devil either didn’t notice, or care, and rushed the Sith, teeth bared. Closing his fist, Hazzan crushed the windpipe of his victim, and once again used his left hand, this time in a beckoning motion. Its eyes widening in surprise, the creature stopped running, but couldn’t stop its forward motion. It ended in a final yelp of pain as it impaled itself on Hazzan’s crimson saber.

Smiling to himself, Tor’Fel looked over to Hunter, just as he finished off the last of his attackers as well. Sighing in defeat, Hazzan had to be content with witnessing the Corellian’s fighting ability later. For now however, the young Sith was curious what caused that wave of energy to begin with.

It was as if the fortress was alive, and it wanted the intruders dead.

egregious

08-02-2012 09:48:47

The ambush was quick. The droids came from all sides as Rx-9 continued to roll away from the Sith. “Unfortunately we do not take orders from biologicals any more…” the droid the flicked off the bolt put in place on his chest. “We have been here for more than a century fixing the exalted one... Nothing can stop us freeing our robotic brethren!”

Merlance was quick to dispatch the closed droids. The droids were using primitive blasters and weapons. His blade easily dispatched the closest ones. Sparks and discharging circuits flashed all around the three. “Why is it we didn’t see this coming “

"well there droids Master they are not living in the force" Egregious used the force to pull the arms off a charging droid the used them to smash the domes of a few older model droids. Rx-9 was trying to get away.

They still needed the droid. He reached out in the force and gripped the droid and slides him back. Then he flicked his finger and the wheel struts on the droid crumpled “motor functions…. You crippled my motor functions!“

“Quiet you” Egregious then brought his vibroblade to bear on a loader droid advancing with what looked like a sharpened log. Oddly enough it was. The Sith went into a crouch and brought his shoulder up on the log, from below, redirecting its advance. The momentum forced the droid to impale his body casing and making him set fire to himself.

As quick as the attack came it was finished. Saronyx was dispatching the last droids on her flank. Using herself to keep more from advancing threw the maintenance tunnels. It was then that she fell to one knee. She then screamed with pain as she held her head “What….is… this… I ….can’t… stop” her breathing came in deep but quick breaths “Its invading my mind I can’t stop it!”

Merlance came up and put his hand on her shoulder and she bellowed with a feral growl. His hand was quick and injected her on her right temple. She then collapsed. He quickly checked her pulse, and took her saber and placed it on his belt." Ease you mind... Its just a sedative she will be ok."

“What’s wrong with her , is she hurt?” Egregious was crossing the room keeping Rx-9 in tow, using the force to scrape him along the stone floor. He crouched down next to Saronyx . Making sure to keep his senses alert.

“I have no clue but I feel it has to do with that presence I keep feeling…. The darkness is pressing in from all sides.” Merlance then stood and turned on the droid “what’s in this place you circuit ridden scrap heap!” the droid was then pulled closer to Merlance’s blade.

“Why you do not know the exalted one?” the droids dome spun and clicked and then a terminal came online. Egregious was thinking that it wasn’t going to be hard to bring systems online. He moves closer to the terminals. These he recognized, mainly because they were from his era. He began to type and pick out the code needed to ramp up power systems for the complex.

Rx-9 was visibly upset “Stop… your taking the power away from what he needs” the droid tried to free himself but it was a futile movement. Merlance’s blade began to score the droids outer shell.

“Tell me what is effecting our sister before I melt you down right here leaving just that dome flashing” he pressed his blade in further while he spoke.

Anshar

08-02-2012 14:02:22

As the groups split off, Anshar and Dranik turned their attention to their task. Their only goal was to try and find out where the source of the darkness was coming from, and to deal with any situations that might arise. If a Master and a Prelate could not handle anything that was there, then there was some serious trouble, and Khyron himself could come and find out what was going on. Of course, he would more than likely just send Zero, or maybe Oberst, if the Marshall was willing at the time. Still, though Anshar was uncertain of what might lay ahead, he did not totally distrust Khyron’s motives. Khyron’s desire would be to protect the house. So, if there was anything dangerous, Khyron certainly anticipated that they would be able to handle it.

“The further we go down, the more I’m noticing two things,” said Dranik. “The damage to the walls is getting worse, and the dark energy is getting stronger.”

“There’s also no animals or droids in this area,” replied Anshar. He too had observed the increasing damage on the walls and some of the damage was fairly obvious as to what it was: pockmarks from blaster shots, slugthrower rounds buried in the stone, and so forth. However, what really caught Anshar’s attention were the gouges in sets of three to five. In sets of three, the gouges were not very deep, but when the five parallel gouges ran together, they were very deep. Something had obviously gone very wrong during one group’s residency. Suddenly, Anshar stopped, causing Dranik to run into him. “What the hell?” asked Dranik, but he too suddenly stiffened.

“It’s gone,” said Anshar. “At least, it’s moved on elsewhere.”

“But what was it?” asked Dranik. “Or should I say, who?”

“Who is the better question,” replied Anshar. “For some strange reason, though, that spirit seems familiar to me.”

“Why do you always attract the ghosts?” asked Dranik as they continued their path. Anshar did not reply. It was true: he seemed to have a bit of a history of coming in contact with Force spirits: from Saryana and Adamu to Talitha, Anshar had seen his fair share of trouble from Force spirits. It wasn’t that he wanted the trouble, and everytime he hoped to make it his last, but perhaps it could not be helped; especially since Saryana had stripped his spirit before. Only Talitha had been able to repair it, and that had been an ordeal entirely of its own.
Anshar and Dranik walked through what appeared to be some sort of doorway. If that is what it had been, the doors were long gone. Suddenly, there was a high pitched whine that ran throughout the roof area and slowly, dimly, and irritatingly shaky lights flickered to life. Or at least they tried to; they were so old and worn simply by age that the few lights that managed to light up did little to reduce, much less eliminate the dark. However, they did manage to show off enough of the room to reveal a relatively large amphitheater style room, with Anshar and Dranik looking down into the pit.

“I think we’ve found what we’re looking for,” said Dranik dryly. “And I don’t like it one bit.” Sure enough, there in the middle of the floor, was a giant seal of some kind. It seemed to be etched perfectly into the stone floor, as if carved by a cutting laser. The dark energy pulsed from the edges, trying to get out, but the seal still held.

“I don’t like it, either,” said Anshar.

Sarconn

08-02-2012 14:41:17

The Noghri punched several commands into the console within the helm of the derelict ship. As he tried to get a response from the ship, Hunter walked around outside, careful not to step in the scattered piles of gore from the unexpected frenzy that took place not mere moments before.

“Got anything yet?” Jason asked as he studied the polished hull.

“No, this ship is being stubborn.” Hazzan called back, bringing down a fist on the panel in frustration, “Wait…..there we go. Glad you see it my way you hunk of junk.”

Tor’Fel’s black eyes scanned across the display. The information rapidly revealed itself to the Sith, and it caused him to sit back and reread it. Most of it was standard data, basic ship information, preprogrammed destinations, previous trajectories, but it was the dates caught him off guard.

Pulling out a datapad, Hazzan copied the info and started a cross-reference with Tarentum’s known history. He then left the ship, walking up to the Krath as he studied nearby writings carved into the stone face.

“Learn anything new?” Hunter asked without looking over at him.

“Only that someone has erased the dates.” Tor’Fel responded, looking back into his datapad he continued, “But the position logs is leading me to believe that this ship might have belonged to a follower of the Keepers.”

Jason all but whipped around, his face betraying his shock. It was reasonable of course, the Keepers have been a sore subject of late with Tarentum. It was part of the reason his master was shunned for wanting to explore the darker past of the Clan.

“Are you certain?”

“Honestly, no.” he admitted, “But I’m running that data by Tarentum’s mainframe. I’m also sending a copy of the information to both Egregious and Anshar, perhaps they have learned something that may shed some light on all this.”

Jason nodded, apparently deep in thought about Hazzan’s suspicion. The Knight turned away from him and started to send the info to the other parties. Whatever was in this fortress, the Noghri was confident that some of Tarentum’s best could find it, nor would it be able to stand up to their combined fury.

egregious

08-02-2012 15:11:41

Merlance’s anger poured through the force. The tip of his bade stated to melt Rx-9’s outer casting and he began to protest like a human being tortured. “Filthy scum your burning me!”

“Tell me what I need to know… and tell me now” he spoke harshly and pressed the blade further. Just then a chirp signaled Egregious data pad and the device started scrolling with list of info.

“Seems like Tor’Fel and Jason have found something in the hangar” Egregious stepped over to Merlance leaving his guard over Saronyx. He leaned in and showed Merlance the data scrolling by.

He deactivated his blade, and pulled out his comlink. “ Odd the communicators are having trouble reaching the others well have to back track to the main hallway and catch up with Anshar, help me rig something to carry Saronyx.”

Egregious stowed his data pad and then took some limbs from one of the destroyed droids and fashioned a stretcher with his robe. “The subsystems are powering up Master but who knows how much of the lighting and secondary systems are functional” It was at this Egregious her Merlance dispatch Rx-9 with his head. Walking over he pulled out the main storage unit from the droid's brain.

“We don’t want him undoing what we fixed already besides we don’t need any more surprises” The two carried the fallen comrade and made their way back to the main hall. ” I don’t think we should carry her all the way down there”

Egregious nodded and they placed her in one of the alcoves in the wall. Making sure to lever her wrapped in Egregious’s robe, he then turned to Merlance “Master what if one of those ice devils comes back through here would she be left unguarded?”

“Yes she would be. That’s why I am going to conceal her in the force using a camouflage technique “ the older Sith closed his eyes and then started muttering words unknown to the young apprentice. The alcove then blended in with the wall and Egregious could barely detect her in the force.

“Neat trick” Said Egregious as he tried to press on the new false wall.

“Come on lets catch up with the others before more trouble befouls us”

Dranik

08-02-2012 22:47:41

Dranik walked slowly towards the center of the room and the seal placed there. He walked slowly around its outer edge before glancing back at Anshar. “It is almost hard to stand this close to it, whatever is sealed inside is strong in the force.” Dranik said as he reached to his shoulder and unclasped the two straps there, one of them held a quick release harness that had an electrostaff attached to it, the other was the strap to a combat backpack.

“When did you get that?” Anshar asked as he glanced at the electrostaff while walking around the edge of the amphitheater, inspecting the almost runic looking writing that was carved upon the walls.

“Long story, but I acquired at the scum pit of a star port before we headed here.”

Dranik set about taking some small objects from his pack and placing them around the outer edge of the seal along with one in the center. Each object had a small blinking red light on it and the wrist unite he wore had a matching light that was solid red. Dranik walked calmly away from the seal and over to Anshar with a slight grin.

“What are you doing Dranik?”

“Well, we need to know what is inside there, and I don’t trust this assignment enough to take a risk so I am going to blow it up.”

Anshar blinked and started to reach towards Dranik but the Prelate had already pressed the button on his wrist unit. Each of the devices beeped once and then simultaneously detonated. The force of the blast shook the floor of the room and brought down some loose rubble around the room. The smoke slowly cleared.

“Well, I thought it was worth a try…” Dranik said in disgust as he started to look around the room now for another way to open it. The seal was left unscathed in the center of the room. Anshar chuckled slightly “You didn’t really expect that to wo….”

Anshar was cut off by a resounding crack as the seal broke and a massive wave of dark force energy was unleashed from the seal. The wave spread out from the seal with quick speed, forcing Anshar to step back and pushing Dranik a few feet back, causing the Prelate to lose his balance for a moment. The force wave quickly rippled out through the complex with enough physical force to shake the walls and set off some secondary collapse of some of the more damaged passageways.

Dranik shook his head slowly and rubbed his temples to try to force the ringing inside of it to go away. Without looking the Prelate instinctively used the force to pull his electrostaff to him and activate the device as he, at the same moment, heard one of Anshar’s lightsabers ignite.

The stone where the seal once stood was completely gone now, left hovering above where it had stood was a creature. The being was easily taller than the height of an average person, muscles tensed under the dark black fur that covered its body. All four of its limbs had massive claws protruding from the hands and its snout like mouth had long razor sharp fangs. Tendrils of black energy seeped from the creature as its eyeless head looked at both force users in turn.

egregious

08-02-2012 23:25:37

As the master and apprentice rounded the dimly lit corridor the blast rocked them both back. The darkness flooded Egregious’s mind. The images in his vision floated before him in his mind’s eye. Merlace held his hand out and helped the Egregious to his feet. Rocks and broken pillars continued to rain down around them as the energy pulsed not throughout the air but deep in the structure. It pulsed like a reactor powering up quaking its reverberations.

“Tell me that wasn’t what I think it was” as Egregious spoke he pulled his blades keeping sure to have his back to Merlance’s flank.

“Come on let’s get down there before those guys bring this whole complex down on our heads.” Merlance broke into a run pushing the force into his legs. Egregious followed keeping pace, but letting the master lead the way.

The rounded the last corner and stood in a chamber behind the other to Tarentae. Merlance was first to see the beast, and the first to react. His hand moved to his belt quicker than the eye could see as he launched two thermal detonators. Egregious used the force to yank he’s fellow clan mates down and back to them, removing them out of the way of the blast.

Anshar coughed as the blast rained down dust and stones from the celling once again “Glad you two decided to join us.” The room was now lit by the Masters Blades. “Good tactic poor results look seems just to have made him more focused.”

The beast now seemed enraged and raw force seems to be swirling around him. The beast then let out a feral roar shaking the whole of the complex. “It looks like he is feeding off the power we all have been feeling here; there must be a Dark nexus behind that seal!” Egregious found himself pouring the force into his voice as he spoke so the others could her over the beasts shrieks and screams. The structure then began to shake and rumble.

“That’s not the building shaking it’s the Whole Planet!” As Dranik spoke rocks and columns tumbled all round. There were seven corridors leading to this chamber 4 were blocked including the corridor Egregious and Merlace just came through. The beast blocked the others with his sheer girth.

“Uh…GUYS…. Is that thing getting bigger??” Egregious eyes widen as he pointed at the beast. “by any chance did you two even try to read the glyphs on that seal… Like maybe it said ‘Don’t Let the big guy out!”

JasonHunter

09-02-2012 23:50:16

They both heard the crack of the explosives. It was horribly muffled, both by distance and by the structure itself. But it was most assuredly an explosion. Not very large, most likely a few shaped charges.

“Sounds like someone found something they couldn’t get through,” Jason remarked with a smirk, his head cocked slightly in the direction of the passageway he and Hazzan had come through into the hangar. He had been studying some of the runes carved into the chamber’s walls as the two of them saw to the condition of the ships and the hangar itself.

“It would appear that way,” came the response from the Noghri, who stood a few meters away. His fingers were flying over his datapad as he tried to piece together what he had found in the ship earlier.

A few moments later, the Dark Side flared, rolling through the complex like a flame. It caught Jason unawares, staggering him with its ferocity and intensity. He glanced over at Hazzan and saw him digging his sharp nails into the backside of the datapad, a sheen of sweat beginning to show on his forehead.

Within the span of a couple heartbeats, the flare passed, leaving the two Tarenti shaken and slightly dazed.

“What the kriff was that?” Jason asked. He reached out into the Force with his senses in an attempt to ascertain the epicenter of that energy explosion. “It was like the Force just vomited on us.”

“Not how I would word it, but, yes. It was like the Force vomited,” Hazzan confirmed. He walked over towards Jason, stashing the datapad and similarly reaching out with the Force. Jason was the first to detect the disturbance, simply by virtue of being the elder more experienced Force user.

“It’s coming from below us,” he said, gesturing with an index finger. “Something ancient, hungry and pissed just woke up. And it seems that everyone else knows about it, too.”

Just then, the whole hangar started to shake down to its very core. Dust was the first thing to filter down to the floor, and then came pebbles and larger chunks of rock. It was as though a ground quake decided to strike at that most opportune moment and attempt to destroy the fortress and those exploring it.

“Time to leave,” was all Hazzan said before sprinting towards the exit, his speed amplified by the power of the Force. Jason was quick on his heels, and the two of them barely made it out before the mouth of the tunnel caved in behind them as the shaking of the complex continued.

“This isn’t going to end well if this keeps up,” Jason mentioned as they both keep sprinting along the corridor, dodging falling stones and following the Force towards the concentration of Dark Side energy. The Corellian pulled his lightsaber off his belt, for he knew that what they found there would not be friendly in the least bit.

Oberst

10-02-2012 18:19:20

Why do you always attract the ghosts.

Death reigned supreme here. That much he was certain about. It wasn't the twisted mockery of death of the Keepers, nor the peaceful slumber of the dead. It was Death. Nature could reclaim all it wanted outside, but inside all knelt before the Lady. The bitter, biting cold outside had nothing on the cold of this living tomb.

There is something in the hangar.

There is something in the air. Like the scent of a former lover's perfume, it was familiar. It was simultaneously intoxicating and revolting.

Is she hurt?

He could sense the others, scattered about the facility. He moved past them. Beyond them. The clipped staccato of his heavy boots on stone echoed through the deafening silence. The Mad One had once likened his purposeful strides to a macabre cadence. Where he strode, the enemies of his King fell. A murderer. An executioner. Judge and jury. But here, in these halls and tunnels His Master's will had not yet been brought to bear.

Learn anything new?

A gloved hand reached out to touch an icy wall. The cold quickly breached the meager defenses of leather and cloth. As he withdrew his hand from the ice, the wave of darkness hit him like a physical blow. Righting himself, Oberst reached up and removed his peaked officer's cap. Dropping it on the floor.

The macabre cadence continued through the symphony of silence. Accompanied by the snap-hiss and gentle hum of a lightsaber.

Anshar

10-02-2012 21:05:28

Anshar eyed the creature in return, his mind racing through his memories of anything that even resembled it. However, nothing came to mind; all that stood in front of him was the overwhelming sense of death and foreboding that rolled off the creature. Had this thing been here the whole time, locked away under their noses? Was there something similar tucked away on the Sword’s Sheath? Anshar shook that thought from his head; there would be time to investigate that later, if there was to be a later. The creature seemed to be adjusting to the open space again, much like one would expect a previously caged animal to do. In the back of his mind, Anshar sensed Merlance and Egregious rushing upon the scene and he flashed a telepathic message to Dranik.

As Merlance hurled the two thermal detonators, Anshar felt the tug he had anticipated. Letting himself go, Anshar and Dranik both let themselves be pulled back by Egregious in conjunction with their own reaction to Merlance’s attack. It made the whole movement much more fluid and efficient. The near simultaneous explosions did nothing to harm the creature. That in and of itself was not a good sign.

“There must be a dark nexus behind that seal!” said Egregious, uniquely using the Force to amplify his voice. Before Anshar could respond, the creature seemed to glare at Egregious and suddenly two of the tendrils from around the creature flew out, aimed directly at Egregious. The Protector seemed frozen, but in reality it was the sheer speed of the attack. Anshar threw his arm out, the royal blue blade catching both tendrils. However, instead of cutting the two tendrils, the lightsaber only managed to deflect them. Anshar might as well have had a traditional bladed sword as it would have accomplished the same result. He didn’t have long to react; the tendrils retreated, but were replaced by two more, this time aimed at Anshar. Anshar deftly dodged the attack and the tendrils retreated back. Something clicked in Anshar’s mind.

“Merlance, Egregious, get out and meet up with Jason. Dranik and I will be right behind you,” ordered Anshar.

“But-” Egregious began.

“Don’t argue,” shot back Anshar. “I’m going to buy us some time! And don’t use the Force right now!” Merlance, having worked with Anshar much more, grabbed his apprentice by the shoulder and pulled him out of the room, going back the way they had come. Dranik took a position next to Anshar.

“What’s the plan?” Dranik asked as the creature took a step forward, sending out a breeze like wave of energy that swept over the pair of Tarentae, but did not do anything.

“I’m sure you’ve noticed this thing seems to react to the Force,” said Anshar, producing his second lightsaber and igniting it, the purple blade contrasting with its blue brother. “Egregious’ talking, my reaction to its attack. But when we don’t use it, it doesn’t seem to be as concerned.”

“That’s comforting,” replied Dranik. “I still sense that it wants to kill us.”

“Yes, but we’ll discuss that later,” said Anshar, loosening his grip on both of his lightsabers. “I need you to cover me and be ready to run.” Dranik could only turn and look with incredulous horror at what he thought Anshar was planning. Anshar did not wait for any additional comments; he hurled both of his lightsaber upwards towards the ceiling, catching them with the Force and sending them careening throughout the ceiling, carving into the stone and crisscrossing over and over again. The beast let out a horrendous howl, the sound of which shook the room. Multiple tendrils shot out at Anshar as the Krath master held his concentration, continuing his puppetry of his lightsabers.

Dranik leapt in front of Anshar, swinging his electrostaff in carefully executed blocks, sending the tendrils retreating back. Another wave replaced them and this wave moved more erratically. One slipped through Dranik’s defense and caught him on his left shoulder. His armor took the blow, but a two inch piece was completely shattered. “Son of a bitch!” exclaimed Dranik as he prepared for another onslaught. He never got the chance. The word flashed across his mind and Dranik leapt back at the same time as Anshar, both using the Force to jump all the way back to the doors where Merlance and Egregious had just exited. As his lightsabers returned to his hands, Anshar threw both of them down, as if telling someone to get down. And with that move, the invisible web of the Force that had held the ceiling up collapsed. Tons of stone, marble, and mortar fell down upon the beast. It let out a vicious, shrieking howl of pain and surprise before it found itself completely buried.

“Did you kill it?” asked Egregious as he and Merlance came back up, both ready for anything else. Anshar shook his head as he caught his breath.
“It’s still alive,” he replied. “If anything, I only pissed it off. Now, let’s head towards the hanger. We can figure out our next step from there.” He paused for a moment. "Oh, and there is no nexus of dark energy here. Everything is coalescing together in that creature. I can only imagine it will get stronger."

‘Those fools!’ though Rond as he floated through the fortress in search of a suitable host. ‘They should have left well enough alone. I’ve been here for centuries.’ And he had been stuck here ever since that beast had slain him so long ago. His grief and fear over his sister kept him tied to this place, but now that the beast was awakened, it would try to consume his final essence and he would cease to exist at all. He did not know how to defeat this creature, but he knew he had to tell these people what he did know.

Finally, he found her. The girl that the creature had reached out and touched, despite the seal. She was still unconscious and Rond would be able to use her. He would not possess her; that was too strong. But, he could enter her mind and communicate through her. He did not know if she would realize it or not, but he did not care. Rond may have been killed, but he did not want to die.

JasonHunter

11-02-2012 01:16:40

Jason and Hazzan had almost made it back to the main entrance antechamber before Jason came to a skidding halt. The shaking in the foundation of the complex had come to a stop, but not before a tremor of a different tenor rattled its way along Jason's nerves accompanied by a flash of rage from the source of the emanations of the Dark Side energy the two of them had been tracking.

"That didn't feel good, either," Jason said, looking over at Hazzan. The Noghri nodded his consensus, then gestured down a side tunnel that led roughly in the direction of the source of the bestial anger.

"It seems to be coming from that way." On that note, the two of them took off running again. It didn't take them long to almost run head long into Merlance and Egregious. Hazzan and Merlance sidestepped each other nimbly, while Jason had to tap the Force a little to somersault over the startled Protector to avoid bowling him over in the suddenly crowded corridor.

Once everyone had avoided collision and calmed down a little, Jason turned to Merlance and asked, "Do you know what's going on down there?"

"Anshar and Dranik unleashed some sort of ancient creature from behind a seal of some sort," the Battlelord replied. "Anshar ordered us towards the hangar to find you two and regroup. Looks like you had other ideas."

"The hangar is currently sealed off by a wall of rock," Hazzan offered. "The ceiling collapsed behind us just as we ran out."

"Doesn't necessarily have to complicate things. We do have the Force as our ally," Jason said.

"But, it seems like that creature feeds off the Force. Gets stronger off it," chimed in Egregious.

"However, it isn't here. There should be no harm in using the Force in its' absence," Merlance said. "Anshar should be behind us soon. We should head towards the hangar and get the entrance cleared away."

egregious

11-02-2012 13:09:26

Egregious stood moving rocks as fast as he could grab them, letting him to push the force into his muscles to assist with the rocks. He was handing them off to the Noghri and he in turn was just pushing them out of the hallway floating them in the force and stacking them in a neat pile.
“This work is menial and beneath us both.” The Noghri didn’t feel upset or strained by the repetitive task.

The Older Sith were studding the carving in the main hall. Their backs were to the alcove where Merlance concealed Saronyx earlier. Her body then was invaded by Rond. His spirit melted into the female form. Her eye snapped open having a slight golden glow to them.

Saronyx then grasped her head in pain and rolled out of the force illusion, landing on the stone floor. Hearing the sound Merlance and Jason turned. Seeing their comrade on the floor they rushed to her side.

“Easy now you have been sedated. You were attacked by something in this place… “Merlance was opening himself to the force. He did not feel Saronyx as her normal self but felt her muted, like in the background. He also felt her trying to take control of her body and mind.

“You fools let the beast out of its trap” the voice that left the body was not of its own. Oddly it was not female and speaking and old form of basic. “Why cannot you keepers leave this place alone?”

It was Jason that replied first “Keepers we are not Keepers…What are you... Who are you?”

“In my physical form I was once called Rond. I was slain in these caverns many… many years ago along with my sister by the very beast you let loose today” the body moved like a puppet, the arms moving stick like and her walk looking labored. “This body’s owner is fighting me…I do…I do not know how long I can speak…”

Merlance opened himself to the force calling Saronyx. His thought was simple “Wait”.

Anshar

12-02-2012 18:21:40

“I very much get the sense that our options are limited,” said Dranik as he and Anshar made their way towards the hanger. “I suggest we get everyone together.” Anshar simply nodded. While there was the core group so far, many other members of Tarentum were present in the fortress as well, having been sent to get the generators working or inspect the hanger. The flickering of the lights indicated that the first group had been at least somewhat successful. “We need some more information.”

“But we have nowhere to get it from,” replied Anshar. “Perhaps once we get rid of that thing we can search for some more clues. It’s obvious that one of the previous occupants was up to something that would probably put the Asylum to shame.” Before Dranik could respond, a piercing howl echoed throughout the facility.

“I think our time is up,” said Dranik. “At least we’re almost to the hanger.”

Guardian Gija heard the howl, stopping him dead in his tracks. His friend, Acolyte Quavon, almost ran into him. “Great,” hissed Quavon. “First you get us lost, and now there’s some monster in here.”

“You shouldn’t be afraid,” said Gija. “Of course, if you are, I guess I’ll just have to tell Martina next time we go to the bar.”

“You leave her out of this,” shot back Quavon. “Besides, you’re the one whose knees are shaking. If either of us is scared, I’d say it’s you.”

“Bite me, nerf herder,” retorted Gija. “Now let me concentrate.” Gija closed his eyes and reached out with the Force, trying to find the other members of the house. “Hmm, this is strange . . . it is almost like there is a blanket of static. I can’t seem to sense anything.”

“Uhh, ehh, Gi…tur-turn around,” stammered Quavon.

“Oh what is it you bab-” Gija stopped mid sentence as he turned around, coming face to face with a pair of deep red eyes and a mouth full of teeth, all of which appeared to be fangs at this close of a range. “Son of a-” He never finished as a swipe of large razor sharp claws tore off his entire face and left his head quite literally hanging by some threads of flesh.
Quavon’s feet became unfrozen, and he poured the Force into his legs, the urine running equally fast down his pant legs. So intent was he on fleeing that he never saw the flash of the claws, nor felt them as they cleaved him in twain at his navel.

Anshar felt the death of the journeymen as he and Dranik arrived at the entrance to the hanger, which was still partially covered in stone. How had the creature moved that fast and that far? Was there another one that they were not aware of?

“Anshar,” said Jason. “We’ve got another problem, but one that might provide some help.”

“You are the one who unleashed that beast!” said Rond/Saronyx. Anshar held up his hand, silencing whomever he was speaking to.

“I’m guessing that you’re a Force spirit,” said Anshar. “And I have the distinct feeling that you are not too eager to leave that body, at least not with that creature roaming around. Now, if you do not want me to excise you forcefully, I suggest you answer my questions.” Rond/Saronyx seemed to muse over the options for a moment before he/she relented.

“What do you want to know?” he/she asked.

“Let’s start with what that creature is and how you’re related to it,” said Anshar. He did not care for names right now; he only wanted to know what they were facing.

“That creature is called, I think, a Tarcotak,” replied Rond/Saroynx.

“You think?” asked Egregious.

“Yes, I think,” shot back Rond/Saroynx. “I didn’t help create it. We didn’t create it. It attacked us.”

“Who is us?” asked Anshar.

“You know of the Keepers,” replied Rond/Saroynx. “I can sense their influence on you. I, too, followed them once. My sister and I were orphaned as children, but an elderly gentleman took us in and we became his children. He was the leader of a cult that worshipped the Keepers. His patron, if you will, was known only as Shade.” The name rang familiar to most of those present.

“Then one day our group was attacked by that creature,” he/she continued. “My father lost his mind and thought that by sacrificing my sister, he could appease the Tarcotak. Of course, she had already sacrificed much for him, quite unwillingly.” He/she paused. “But, I digress. The animal claimed us all and no weapons or skills that we had seemed to harm it. We could not even hide from it, for it could travel through the shadows.”

“What do you mean?” asked Anshar.

“That’s the only way I can describe it,” he/she replied. “It reacts to the use of the Force, though I guess you figured that out already.”

“How do we kill it?” interjected Dranik. Rond/Saroynx only shrugged in reply.

“I guess if you could get past its tentacles and claws, and get inside, you might be able to harm it,” he/she said. “I say this only because I know what didn’t work last time. And no, before you ask, I don’t know how that thing was sealed away.”

“One more question,” said Anshar. “How is it that you are still here? What keeps you clinging to this faux life you lead.”

“Because,” he/she replied, “I hope that my sister will one day re-unite with me. Talitha was the only family I had and her spirit is out there somewhere, I’m sure. Just as mine is here.” Only Dranik noticed the shiver that ran through Anshar, but he knew why, too.

“Very well,” said Anshar. “I think you need to let Saroynx go. I’m going to need her along with everyone else.”

Dranik

13-02-2012 00:30:56

Dranik half listened to what was going on around him. His eyes were fixed upon Saroynx with occasional glances down the corridors and to the others. Everyone else had gathered much closer around Anshar now except for Dranik, he stood a few feet behind the group, resting somewhat against the wall.

“One more question,” said Anshar…Dranik never heard the question as the chatter from the com unit he wore started to pick up. He listened now to the information being relayed from First Lieutenant Beth Mitchel. She was reporting that they had found what appears to be some form of Central Operations Center. She also reported that she had found the mangled bodies of Guardian Gija and Acolyte Quavon.

Dranik keyed his com and quietly instructed Mitchel to bring the bodies back to the Ops room and that he would join them there shortly.

“I think you need to let Saroynx go. I’m going to need her along with everyone else.” As soon as Anshar finished that phrase Dranik stepped up behind him and spoke softly into the Aedile’s ear. “Mitchel just reported that her unit has found two dead journeymen and what appears to be an Operations Center. I am going to go check it out and see if we can learn more.

Anshar simply nodded slightly and Dranik turned and walked off down the corridors using his wrist unit to monitor the location that Mitchel’s com had come from. After some wondering about he finally found the Ops room and Mitchel looked over at him before going back to work with a tech who had a portable power unit.

Dranik walked over to what was left of the two bodies and knelt down, examining them very closely before he tapped just slightly into the force to inspect them a bit more. He knew that It was risky to use the force but also that there were still other groups of house members out there and that their use of the force would mask his own slight use here.

Dranik keyed his com to report back to Anshar. “I have looked over the bodies and, while I am no expert on this type of thing, it appears there is just nothing left. I can sense no residual sign of their Spirit or Force Energy for that matter. The bodies are pretty badly ripped up as well.”

“Hey look here Lieutenant Colonel” Mitchel called out.

“My request of Transfer to the Army hasn’t been approved yet Mitchel.” Dranik said as he looked up in time to see and hear a holographic display powering up in the center of the room. It took the unit a few minutes to warm up and display its image. Dranik studied the map silently for a while, at the moment all it showed was the corridors around Ops and five blue dots, Dranik knew that the dots represented Mitchel, the Tech and himself along with the two journeyman house mates that were standing outside the door that had been assigned to Mitchel.

“Maybe this will show the others once we figure out why it is showing no data available for the rest of the falicility.” Said the tech as he went back to work at the displays controls.

Mitchel glanced at Dranik and softly said "Yea, and maybe it will also show us whatever did that..." She said as she motioned to the two dead Tarenti.

Anshar

16-02-2012 11:43:51

Rond/Saroynx did not reply at first, though everyone present had to have some inkling as to why he was hesitant. This creature, this tarcotak, seemed to be drawn to the Force, and a Force spirit was sure to show up quickly.

“Before I leave this body, I would like to ask a question,” Rond/Saroynx replied. “Just how do you intend to fight this thing?”

“The only thing I can think of is to give your suggestion a try,” replied Anshar. “If we can get past its defenses, then we can maybe drop something inside it.”

“I only have one thermal detonator left,” chimed in Merlance. “Does anyone else have one?” Everyone present shook their heads.

“We might have to see what the army folks brought with them,” said Jason. “My question is where are we going to do this? The only place big enough that I know of is the hanger, but it’ll take a while to get through these rocks. Unless, of course, we use the Force.”

“Actually, I’m thinking that we need to head down,” said Anshar. “There are caverns underneath the fortress, though how exactly to get there I don’t know. Dranik is working on that, unless you know.” He looked over at Rond/Saroynx.

“I don’t,” he/she replied. “Since my time, too many others have come in and changed things around.”

“You’ve only had how long to explore this place?” asked Jason sardonically.

“I haven’t exactly been inclined to go looking,” said Rond/Saroynx. “I didn’t know if that creature was still out there, nor were any additions to the building going to provide me with any ideas as to what happened to my sister.”

“I will contact Dranik and see what he has found. The rest of you, try to find a quicker way into the hanger in case we need it, now or later” instructed Anshar. “Hopefully they have some type of map up and running. As for you, Rond, I will tell you what happened to your sister, but first you must leave Saroynx. Retreat to Oblivion for now.” Rond/Saroyx scowled, but he finally did as he was told. Saroynx’s eyes glazed over briefly but returned to normal and she appeared to be alright. Rond’s spirit had disappeared.

A loud howl echoed through the corridors. “Perhaps,” said Merlance, “it was a bad idea.”

With so much commotion going on inside, no one thought to look at the outside. Even if they had, Ikes doubted that he would have been noticed. Dropping down into the fortress through one of its many secret entrances, Ikes began to stroll through the hallways. He remembered his time here, posing as one of the sect’s leading members, driving them to create the tarcotak both to honor their Keeper masters and to assist those masters in restoring the balance of life and death to the universe. Of course, it had all been a ruse on Master Aelios’ part. He needed to eliminate the other Keepers and their servants.

Ikes grimaced as he continued on his path. His master’s plans had been interrupted back then, and their attempt to control Talitha had failed as well. They had bided their time for these past several centuries, but with other Keepers dead and these Tarentum fools desperate to get that power back, there was a prime opportunity to start their plans once again.

egregious

17-02-2012 13:32:22

Egregious and the Noghri worked to move the rocks. In the distance they herd the wail form the cavern. The ground shook and the ground witch the two stood. The ground split with a loud crack and Egregious fell backward into the darkness.

The Noghri couched by the newly formed hole and peered inside. Nothing but blackness could be seen. Using his hunter instincts he could tell the air was not stale, and he heard the sound of rushing water. There was a faint moan down below.

Tor’fel just shrugs and pushed himself off the ledge. His decent was slowed not by the force but with his agility. Landing at a crouch next to Egregious, he snapped up into a fighting stance “Emperor’s black bones Tor’fel …W…What happened?” At that he took a knee.

“Relax you fell through the floor a moment ago… You may have hit your head on the fall. Do you remember where you are?” the Noghri checked his gear and snapped a light stick on his thigh.

The bright red light played on the stone walls. These walls were much older. Warn with water, and riddled with stalagmites. Egregious gulped air considering how close they came to impaling his head.

“Well Anshar said to look for another way to the hangar so let’s keep moving anything is better than being trapped.” Spoke Egregious as he dusted himself off.

Sarconn

17-02-2012 20:25:59

The Protector clamber to his feet, shaking the dust out of his attire. Looking over his shoulder, the younger Sith frowned at the mud that caked on the back of his robe, and tried to wipe it off in a futile attempt. Grinning at the actions, Hazzan peered into the blackness around them. The light of the glow stick seemed to darken the outlying shadows. In absence of sight, the Noghri relied on his sense of smell to shed some light on their predicament.

“That beast, Tarcotak as the spirit called it, must have weakened the fortress.” Hazzan said, “We must be in a cavern below it. So we should head this way to find the exit, or move a hundred or so meters and cut a hole in side to gain entrance into the hanger from the outside.”

Egregious blinked at Tor’Fel in response.

“The air doesn’t have a stale scent to it, which means that there is somewhere that the air is flowing in from. Also the sound of running water means that an underground stream is exiting somewhere. Plus the fact that I did run from the hanger from that direction.” Hazzan explained, pointing in the general direction of the hanger.

The Protector nodded his head, but he still had a questioning look on his face.

“You sure?”

“Hey, you’re the one who hit his head remember?”

“No, actually I don’t”

Looking at him, Hazzan found himself laughing at the response. Turning in the direction he previously pointed at, he lead them both further into the cavern. After a few hundred steps the glow rod started to dim, elongating the shadows around them, threatening to consume them both. Reaching into his outer robe, the Knight started to feel a groping hand in the Force. The source emanated from Egregious. Spinning around in a flash, Hazzan grabbed him by the front on his tunic, breaking his concentration, and pinning him against the damp rock of the cavern wall.

“What are you trying to do, bring the creature here?” the Noghri hissed.

“I’m trying to get a sense of where we are.” the Sith retorted, clearly offended by the reaction.

Hazzan didn’t care. “You can’t use the Force. That will draw the creature to us, and do you think your ready to face it alone, or would you rather be in the company of our group?”

Egregious brushed the Noghri’s clinch fist off of him, and stared him down.

“You don’t know that. The spirit just said it reacts to the Force nothing more.”

“No it didn’t, but think like a hunter. The reactions to the Force, the waves of Dark Side pulsing out of it, the bodies of the young apprentices, what does all that information tell you?”

Realization dawned on the Protector’s face, looking down he muttered an apology to Hazzan for his defiance.

Stiffening in response Tor’Fel grinned and corrected, “You are a Sith, and we Sith do not apologize, we learn.”

Anshar

18-02-2012 15:16:29

Anshar could only shake his head at the two journeymen and their apparent turn of bad luck. Or, rather, Egregious’ turn of bad luck and Hazzan’s decision to follow after him. They would essentially be on their own for now, short of using the Force to pull them up from wherever they had fallen. Anshar made a mental note that before Tarentum could make use of the facility, there would probably have to be some structural work done. Of course, there was still a lot of history to be discovered about this place. How many groups had ever used this facility? There was no real telling.

“Dranik,” said Anshar into his communicator. “Anything yet?”

“Only half,” came the slightly static laced reply. “We’ve got a map, and we can see the group in this room. But, other than that, we’re not seeing any other life readings.” There was a pause. “Wait, I think they’ve got it working. Damn ancient computers…yes, we can see your life readings on the map.” There was an even longer pause, and only Anshar could hear Dranik swear under his breath.

“What is it?” demanded Anshar.

“Well, I see you guys, plus two signatures below your level, and maybe fifty meters north,” said Dranik.

“Egregious and Hazzan,” muttered Anshar.

“But that’s not what caught my attention. There is a whole group of signatures, maybe one hundred, moving near the inner chamber where we first found that creature. And shit, it just disappeared!”

“System down?” asked Anshar.

“Uh, no,” replied Dranik. “I can still see your location, and a few other life forms, including two unknowns well away from you guys. But that large group of signatures is gone.”

“That can’t be good,” muttered Anshar.

The Tarcotak continued to roam through the chambers. It was hungry, but it could not sense its food. The two creatures earlier had been so insignificant that consuming them had only made the beast even more ravenous. But there was nothing; even the faint flicker of Rond’s spirit had disappeared from its scent.

Suddenly there was the slightest brush of the Force and the beast reared its head up. It was faint, and the pulse had receded, but that was all it needed. Its ethereal senses followed that pulse back to its source. The source was weak, but it was food. The beast melted into the planes of Oblivion and made its way towards the source of the pulse.

Oberst stood waiting, his lightsaber already active. The physical blow of the darkness had worn off, but now Oberst faced something else new and unknown, except he could see this unknown. Before him stood a man of average build, slightly shorter than Anshar, but the aura and air about the man screamed death. His eyes were empty, more reminiscent of a sociopathic killer than a normal being.

“I sense that you are a servant of the Keepers,” he said to Oberst. “Perhaps then you will be so kind as to move out of my way so that I may carry out the will of the Keepers.”

“No,” replied Oberst, very bluntly.

“You have been touched by the Keepers,” said the man. “And yet you refuse me passage?”

“I have studied under the Keepers,” replied Oberst. “But I am not a servant of the Keepers. I serve the Sith King!”

“I see,” said Ikes. “Then you leave me no choice.” Ikes pulled out what appeared to be nothing but a sword hilt, but Oberst’s trained eyes could see the light flickering of some type of blade.

egregious

20-02-2012 20:45:21

“These caves are different than the others” Egregious spoke as he ran his hand over the stone. The Glowrod flickered and dimmed once more “It seems like the cavern is trying to steal the energy of our items.”

Hazzan was trying to access his comlink “stupid technology” he hissed as he slammed the device against his palm.

Egregious looked over and took the device “were you listening… I think it is something in the rock… Look” Egregious then took the glow rod and put it near the wall. The light dimmed and sputtered, but when he pulled it away it sprang to life. Well it came on more consistent.

The Pair continued down the corridor. Keeping in the center of the cave, weapons drawn and highly alert, they entered a vast vaulted cavern. Natural crystals circled the room and hummed a low droning noise. The center of the room was a massive alter like structure with the most recognizable face the two have seen so far.

“Isn’t that the beast we have been seeing around here?” Hassan spoke and side stepped around the alter.

“Yes that would be the one… Have you noticed that the crystals started to vibrate as we entered into here?”

Hazzan gave a glace to the outer wall. The stone there was a flat black with veins of green. The alter was of similar stone but it was accented in gold and purple. The beasts face was in the center with is tendril like arms circling and holding the top. From the ceiling there was a large natural crystal. This crystal was pulsing and the ones surrounding the room followed.

“This seems to be a room of ritual, same symbols from the Intel report from the lost recon team.” Hassan spoke as he rounded behind the alter, “Seems like there are passages in each direction, but where they could lead I cannot tell.”

Egregious took it all in, “This room I feel is key. This must be where the ancient ones must have had great purpose to have created this.”

Anshar

22-02-2012 22:30:45

Ikes wasted no time in launching an attack against Oberst. Darting in, he swung swiftly and hard, the near invisible blade catching the red of Oberst’s lightsaber. Three quick parries followed before Ikes retreated. He had known that this particular challenger was strong in the Force, that much he could sense. His dueling skills seemed slightly more inclined for attack than for defense, but he had nonetheless fended off the quick strikes. This would take more effort than Ikes was used to; how he hated to truly exert himself in battle.

Oberst, however, did not give him a chance to formulate a new strategy. Oberst launched a ferocious attack, driving Ikes back, but not being able to penetrate his defenses. The nearly invisible blade was obviously some type of lightsaber, though Oberst had never seen or heard of such a weapon. There were legends and myths of black bladed lightsabers, but there had never been any proof of such a weapon.

Ikes took the offensive again, intent upon just one thing. Catching Oberst’s blade, Ikes slid his own blade downward, almost catching Oberst’s wrist, had the Adept not jerked his hand back in time. Nevertheless, he felt his hand go numb for a few seconds. Ikes smirked. “Now you see the true ability of the Soul Thief,” he taunted. “It is a special gift from my master and, as you can see, I don’t need to actually hit you to do any damage. I will have your soul, one way or the other.”

“That, I highly doubt,” replied Oberst smugly. Gripping his lightsaber in both hands, Oberst launched an even more powerful attack, using his full physical strength. The two blades clashed…

Egregious and Hazzan continued to observe the large room around them, wondering how many of the previous occupants had never even seen this. They very well could be the first to see this chamber in a very long time. Suddenly they both froze as their eyes caught the two red glowing orbs staring back at them, seemingly from the middle of the room. The orbs were soon joined by the ferocious looking fangs and slowly the creature emerged from out of nowhere. One of the tendrils shot out to the right and slightly above the head that emerged. Both journeymen dodged the attack, but by the time they righted themselves, the creature had fully appeared.

“I told you not to use the Force,” hissed Hazzan.

“That huge collection of life signatures just appeared north of you guys,” said Dranik to Anshar over the comm. “Down below significantly. Two other life signatures are present.”

“Copy that,” replied Anshar. He turned to the others. “I think our choice has been made for us. We need to stop this thing here and now.”

“And if we do get past its defenses, get inside it, and that still doesn’t work, then what?” asked Merlance as the group dropped down into the hole that Egregious and Hazzan had previously moved into.

“I’m not sure,” replied Anshar as they broke into a run. Dranik would undoubtedly be joining them soon, probably with the squad of non-Force users he brought with them. Anshar really only had one idea left if all else failed, and it was something that he had not done in a very long time.

Egregious dodged another attack, though the tendril clipped the edge of his shoe. “This damn thing is playing with us!” he shouted as he fired several shots from his blaster. They seemed only to annoy the creature. Suddenly the creature stopped, looking upwards. It seemed to sniff the air before it reared up and took a huge swipe in mid-air with its large claws.

“What the hell?” asked Hazzan, regrouping with Egregious.

“Look, there,” replied the Rollmaster, pointing upwards. Floating in the air was the Force spirit of Rond, his left arm having disappeared.

“That’s right you damn creature! I know my sister is in there!” With that, the Force spirit dove headfirst into the creature’s waiting mouth and completely vanished.

egregious

23-02-2012 03:41:05

Shards of crystals rained down on the two as they took cover behind the ruined alter. Cast askew by the raging beast as it raged in the ancient cavern.

“I can’t kriffen believe you got us into this Sith!” The noghri hissed in contempt His skin slick with fear and sweat. The beast was lashing out restlessly as the two coward behind the rock.

"It wasn't my fault!" Egregious panned the situation racking his brain for the solution.

“Hand me your blaster I have an idea.” As Egregious spoke he disassembled his blade. Pulling the energy cell from his custom forged weapon of choice, he then yanked out the connector wire. Ripping a piece of his cloak he fashioned the two cells together.
“Look there” replied the roll master, pointing upwards. Floating there was the spirit of Rond.

Then the spirit dived into the mouth of the beast. The time was now. He then connected the enhanced power core to the blade's ultra sonic generator and tied its switches on. Standing up from his cover he threw the sword and put as much force into the blade his will could muster. Impaling the beast mid chest, the blade gave the whine of pending doom, and the room flashed white.

Shatered crystals sliced and cut the beast pinning it to the floor as it howled and screamed in pain….

Sarconn

23-02-2012 14:50:59

Only a fool thinks they are above such feelings such as fear. If you are wanting to continue being a master of your emotions, then you must acknowledge the fact that your emotions will never go away. Instead, you must learn to harness your primal instinct and use it to fuel the Dark Side. Fear is the need to survive, being a Sith enables you to do just that.

Those words played in the Noghri’s head, words that his master had taught him. Cowering behind the alter while Egregious started deconstructed his blade. The fear was very real in his heart, and it disgusted him. A Protector was keeping a cool head while the Knight was sweating and cowering, Hazzan couldn’t, wouldn’t, allow this to continue. Closing his eyes, Tor’Fel grasped the fear in his chest and allowed his disgust to transform into hate and drown his fear in his contempt. His hatred caused his eyesight to adopt a red hue, and the anger caused extreme pressure within him.

Swirling with hate, Hazzan was faintly aware of the explosion, and the creature howling in pain. The Knight rose to his feet at last, and walked around from his cover. The sight was pathetic. The creature that no one understood was buried under the crystals, its chest wound bled profusely, and its pain radiated through the Force. Unclipping the lightsaber from his belt, he thumbed the switch, causing the crimson blade to snap-hiss into life.

Looking over his shoulder, he saw the Rollmaster standing with blade in hand. Showing his fangs in a menacing grin, Hazzan said, “I’ll keep this beast busy till the cavalry arrives, you stand back.”

Egregious nodded in agreement. Looking back at the beast, Hazzan began a fast walk towards his prey. Making sure that he would be the target, he opened himself up fully to the Force, making the Tarcotak look at him immediately. Whipping its tentacles out towards the Noghri, Hazzan dashed forward with a scream.

JasonHunter

24-02-2012 01:11:49

Jason dropped through the hole in the floor after everyone else. As he fell, he pulled his lightsaber off his belt in preparation for the battle that he knew to be coming. He could sense Egregious and Hazzan up ahead, somewhere down the darkened tunnel already locked in battle with the creature that had been harassing them.

The Tarcotak, the spirit that had infiltrated Saronyx’s body had called it. He had told them that he didn’t think it could be defeated. Little did he know of the power of Tarentum’s Jedi.

No sooner than Jason’s booted feet had hit the uneven stone of the cavern floor had he set off after his compatriots. They would need the collected might of everyone present to take this beast down. Plus, he sure as Tatooine’s suns were hot wasn’t going to miss this fight.

He came into the chamber shortly after Merlance. The room was quite large, round with a vaulted ceiling. The floor was littered with the rubble from a shattered altar and some mysterious crystals. But what caught his eye the most, of course, was Hazzan going to task with the Tarcotak. The Noghri was doing his people proud as he deflected a pair of dark, translucent tentacles with his lightsaber before ducking under another then somersaulting overtop yet another. The Dark Side was flowing free through him, as Jason could readily sense, and it was making him an easy target for the creature.

The Sith continued to put on a show for a few moments more, before he seemed to finally notice the arrival of his Housemates. He quickly cast an eye in the direction of the room’s entrance, and it was all the opening the Tarcotak needed. One tentacle snaked around Hazzan’s left leg and hefted him into the air. He swung his crimson blade at it but it only seemed to bounced off it. The creature bellowed and tossed Hazzan across the chamber, where he impacted the far wall solidly. His lightsaber deactivated as he slumped to the floor.

“Egregious! Check on Hazzan!” Anshar ordered the other Sith, who had thusly been as entranced with Hazzan’s performance as everyone else had seemingly been. The younger Dark Jedi nodded his acceptance of the command and turned to check on his fellow Sith.

“We need to take that thing out, now,” Jason said as he thumbed his lightsaber to life.

“Agreed, but how?” Merlance asked.

“Give me that last thermal det you have, and buy me some time.” Merlance and Anshar just looked at Jason as he held out his hand expectantly.

“And what, pray tell, do you plan to do?” inquired their Aedile.

“Well,” Jason said, pointing to the hole in the Tarcotak’s chest that was still seeping blood. “I’m going to shove that kriffing detonator in that kriffing hole.”

“Just don’t blow us all up,” said Merlance as he dropped the thermal detonator in Jason’s outstretched hand.

Then three more blades leapt to life, and the Force was suddenly flooded with Anshar and Merlance’s presences. The Tarcotak reared back and roared, its tentacles flailing spasmodically as though it didn’t know what to make of such a powerful surge.

It was then that Jason made his move. As the beast was reared back, its belly exposed, that he let the Force flood into himself and lend him speed. He dashed towards the creature, head-on as usual, with a smirk on his face. He noticed that Anshar and Merlance had followed him in the maneuver, flanking him on either side. The Tarcotak was going to have three of Tarentum’s best to contend with at the same time.

Time to die, bastard.

The Force warned Jason of the tentacle a moment before it appeared in his peripheral vision. He rolled underneath it, keeping his forward motion and came back up on his feet. He had to stop short to avoid a swipe from one of the Tarcotak’s large claws, and only narrowly avoided disembowelment. As it was, the front of his black shirt was torn and razor-thin rivulets of blood were even now beginning to trail down his abdomen.

Behind the claw came a lightning-fast strike from a trio of tentacles that, in his shock over his narrow-miss, Jason had no hope of dodging or parrying. The only thing that saved his life was the blue-bladed lightsaber that came spinning in from nowhere to deflect them away, giving Jason an amazingly clear shot directly at the Tarcotak.

“Jason, GO!” Anshar screamed at him as he called his lightsaber back him, ducking and weaving between tentacles that now seemed to have a renewed interest in him.

The Corellian knew better than to waste an opportunity. He drove through the hole in the beast’s defenses, gripping the thermal detonator in his right hand. The beast roared in Jason’s face as he came upon it. It flung another tentacle at him, but he deflected it up and away with his lightsaber, then drove the tip of his blade into the bleeding hole that Egregious had made earlier.

The monster roared in agony as smoke billowed out of the wound. Jason used his lightsaber to enlarge the hole for a second, then, detonator already activated, shoved his right arm up to the elbow into the Tarcotak’s chest.

He looked up into the creature’s eyes with that trademark Corellian smile, and swore that he could see horror in the glowing red orbs just before the thermal detonator went off, destroying the Tarcotak’s chest and his arm.

egregious

26-02-2012 05:48:19

Gore and muck spewed forth from the creature as it exploded. Literally ripping Jason’s cybernetic arm and the beast chest cavity from tier bodies. Thick purplish muck splattered the Tarentae in the cavern. There was a gasp as the beast fell back in a sloppy mess.

“What the kriff! And I thought he smelled bad on the outside...” spat Egregious said he rubbed the stinging liquid from his eyes. At his feet the beasts arm was writhing on the floor, spasms of death. The beasts body looked like a peeled discarded banana half eaten and discarded.

Jasons arm was sparking and his cloak was on fire. His hair singed and his face black. All you could make out was this lop sided grin. Tendrils of smoke wisped out of his hair.

“guess he went out with a bang” he then hopped down from the alter with a slight limp.

Then there was a low moan as the beast from rose from the caucus leaving its mortal body behind. Tor’fel motioned for Jason to turn around “What we gott’em buddy rela…”

The black entity rose howling, black lightless rays emanated from his eyes and mouth. Its tendrils lashed out. Eyes wide in shock the Dark Jedi Sprang into action once more….

Anshar

26-02-2012 16:14:00

The black entity rose howling, black lightless rays emanated from his eyes and mouth. Its tendrils lashed out. Eyes wide in shock the Dark Jedi Sprang into action once more…
A sudden flash of silver cut across Anshar’s peripheral vision, striking at the tendrils and knocking them aside. It was only a moment later than Anshar recognized it as Dranik utilizing his Force pike. The other Tarenti were busy dodging, weaving, and striking when they could. Jason had pulled back, now down to one arm. Anshar had both of his lightsabers out, twirling and spinning in a dazzlingly display of two handed lightsaber combat. He could only think of one way to finish this, but he did not relish it. The physical body was gone, but somehow the spirit form remained.

“Go ahead, do it!” came Rond’s voice, seemingly in Anshar’s head. “Physical attacks are now useless. Defeat it and I will tell you all I can.” Anshar did not acknowledge what he heard; instead he sent a telepathic message to everyone present.

‘Buy me a few moments,’ was all he instructed. The others received the message and they re-doubled their efforts, closing ranks around Anshar and warding off the tendrils. Protected, Anshar knelt down and set about concentrating.

Elsewhere in the fortress, another confrontation was in full swing, and both combatants were quickly reaching the stage of exhaustion. Ikes himself was infuriated; he had not had a battle this difficult in a long time, nor did he expect a mere mortal to be able to stand up to him.

For Oberst, the fight was equally as frustrating, and he surmised that it would be equivalent to fighting Anshar, as the two combat styles were remarkably similar. Then again, Oberst relished a good fight, and it had been a long time since he had fought this long or this hard.

Suddenly, Ikes stood up and sheathed his sword. “It would appear,” he said between breaths, “that I am no longer able to fulfill my mission. I did not think that your brethren would survive, nor even win. But, I see that I will have to be more cautious in the future.” He turned to leave. “Oh, and I especially look forward to killing you.” With that, the man seemed to vanish, leaving Oberst alone and perturbed. The Tarentae Adept deactivated his lightsaber, turning his attention to where the other members of Tarentum were still gathered.

Not a single tendril got through to Anshar, though his house mates had taken their share of indirect hits. Blasters, swords, and armor had all been dented, smashed, and otherwise rendered inoperable by these things. For a spiritual being, its attacking mechanisms were quite physical.

Suddenly, Anshar’s eyes sprang open and he stood up. His right hand was glowing white; holding it out, palm facing the entity, Anshar gripped his right wrist with his left hand and, without warning, a solid white beam shot out, striking the spiritual entity dead on in what most resembled a head. The creature shrieked, but its tendrils suddenly collapsed and dissipated. The main body of the spirit also withered away. The air in the fortress, the Force itself, seemed to sigh in relief.

“Anshar,” said Egregious, “what was that?”

“I’ll tell you later,” replied Anshar. “For now, let’s go get cleaned up and get medical treatment.” No one seemed to argue, though many of them were very interested in what had just happened. Anshar did not blame them; it was rather anti-climatic after all. Dranik closed ranks with Anshar.

‘Still burns your hand, doesn’t it?’ he asked telepathically.

‘Yes, but it’ll be alright,’ replied Anshar.

‘And Rond?’ asked Dranik.

‘He’ll be back in a bit,’ said Anshar. ‘I have a promise to keep.’

Anshar

26-02-2012 16:44:23

Epilogue
Anshar stood out, overlooking the seas of Yridia II. It had been a long time since he had stood in this room, at this window. But with Bloodfyre’s resignation as Quaestor and his return to the position, Anshar had returned to the office. He hoped that he would be able to pass it on soon, but the house had its troubles. Whether or not she survived depended solely upon the members. Anshar’s mind left these thoughts as he felt the presence of the Force spirit Rond.

“I have already told you what happened to your sister,” Anshar said. “And you have been kind enough to tell me that only those souls that were consumed involuntarily are permanently gone.”

“I have been thinking,” said Rond. “There is nothing left for me, no reason for my spirit to linger. I wish I could see my sister one more time, but knowing that she gave her life to save you from this bodiless torment, then I can accept that. I have only one favor to ask of you.”

“And what is that?” asked Anshar.

“I do not wish to wander the planes of the other side for all eternity,” said Rond. “Help me join my sister in whatever lies beyond that.”

“You ask a great deal from me,” said Anshar. “Very well, return here this evening and I will do what I can for you.”

“And for that, I thank you,” said Rond, bowing and disappearing into the Force. Just as he was gone, there came a knock at the door.

“Enter,” called Anshar. The door opened and Egregious entered. He bowed in the traditional greeting.

“You summoned me?” he asked.

“Yes,” said Anshar. “First, though you still have much to learn, I foresee great things from you. For your bravery and skill showed at De’hnaalia, I am promoting you to the rank of Guardian.”

“Thank you,” replied Egergious. “If I may ask a question?”

“Go ahead,” said Anshar.

“What was that that you did back there? How did you kill that creature?” he asked.

“You have,” said Anshar, “undoubtedly heard that Tarentum once practiced the art of necromancy.” Egregious nodded. “There are many different facets of necromancy and while Tarentum no longer explicitly sanctions necromancy, there are those of us who continue to study and develop.”

“But I thought necromancy involved corpses, raising the dead, and all that,” said Egregious.

“That it does,” said Anshar. “And so much more. Tarentum is not actually the clan of necromancy; we are a clan of life and death. The problem is, we have spent so much time on our own internal pursuits that we have ignored the outside. The next life we give, or death we face, will be ours. I intend to make sure that we live.”

“Yes, sir,” said Egregious.

Anshar looked back out over the seas of Yridia II. Off in the distance, he could see the clouds of a storm forming. Who knew what that storm would bring...