To The Core

Anshar

29-05-2008 23:28:28

Background:

Clan Investigations have proven to be fruitful at gathering rumors. Still, with the clan constantly stockpiling supplies, they have yet to recover anything new that could decidedly turn the tide of a war. However, a few leads point to the existence of a secret research facility on the planet Prakith, deep in the Galactic Core. Needing something more than regular supplies, the decision is made to undertake a mission to this facility in hopes of finding something useful.

Fictional story posts will be made by Anshar directing the story, but they will be influenced by entries from members.

Events:

Event details will be released as they open. There will be fiction and gaming events in this competition. Event details will be posted after the fiction piece for that part.

Scoring:

See event details for specific information on scoring. There will be overall winners of this competition using the points system from "Settling Home." First place in an event will get you 4 points, 2nd place = 3, 3rd place = 2, and participation = 1 point.

Any questions can go to Anshar (ansharkah@gmail.com).

Good luck!

Anshar

29-05-2008 23:34:26

[Note: this is the opening fiction piece. Event number one is posted below this.]

Merlance stood aboard the bridge of the Bothan Assault Cruiser Doomsday. The faux New Republic commander’s uniform irritated him greatly, but not nearly to the extent that having his vessel renamed, repainted, and overrun by other clan members. The doors to the bridge slid open and Armus entered the bridge, decked out in the uniform of a New Republic captain. If the uniform irritated him, he did not show it as obviously as Merlance’s discomfort probably did.

“Commander, is my ship ready?” asked Armus.

“Yes, sir,” replied Merlance in the more formal and well practiced diction. “The Do-Chancellor is at your command.” Merlance again caught himself from calling the ship the Doomsday. For this mission, it was the Chancellor, assigned to a New Republic Core patrol task force.

“Take us out,” ordered Armus. Merlance carried out his orders, still somewhat irritated the he had not been allowed to retain command of his own vessel for this mission.

“I have my doubts, Anshar,” said Rekio as he sat down across the table from the Consul. “I mean, we don’t even know if there’s anything of value on this world. More to the point, I’m not sure if all the clan members can maintain the charade long enough. Let’s face it: we’re not New Republic soldiers.”

“And that is why I assigned all of them low ranking roles,” said Oberst, advancing into the room unannounced. His own uniform bore the insignia of an Imperial general. “I have put them in positions where they can do little harm and where they won’t draw attention when they’ve left the ship.”

“Look,” said Anshar. “We know that Prakith was home to the Inquisitorius and that Moff Foga Brill became a dedicated warlord after the death of the Emperor. All we have to do is maintain our cover that we’ve been sent to get into a particular facility at the request of Admiral Pellaeon. As we appear to be a New Republic vessel, with the proper codes and a few high ranking Imperials to boot.”

“That doesn’t mean it will work,” said Rekio.

“And yet here we are,” replied Anshar. For a moment, the three Tarentae sat quietly before Anshar continued in a solemn tone. “Trust me, gentlemen. I understand that we may find nothing of use here, and the risks are extraordinary. This is, after all, Tarentum’s first mission outside of Yridian space since the Fall of Antei. However, I believe this risk will ultimately be justified by what we find.”

“I hope you’re right,” replied Rekio.

Anshar

29-05-2008 23:36:45

Event #1: Intel

You have been assigned to research and submit an intelligence brief on one of the following topics:

• Prakith
• Foga Brill
• Prak City
• Red Police

Use whatever canon information you can find, but feel free to stretch a few things in the gray areas. For example, there are very few details on the Prakith campaign and the make up of any New Republic forces that might be on the planet.

**Max** of 1 page on the submission. 12 pt font (TNR, Arial, or Courier) in MS Word. Judging will be based on the amount and quality of information presented. Submissions are due to Anshar by June 5.

Anshar

05-06-2008 21:30:18

[Note: this is the second fiction piece. It picks up right where the last one left off. Some details have come from the event submissions thus far, but just because you recognize something, it does not necessarily mean that you placed]

“I do, too,” said Anshar. He nodded to Oberst who brought a holoprojector to life. It showed a topographical view of Prak City, the capital of Prakith. A yellow dot highlighted the location of the target facility.

“Intelligence reports indicate that the facility remains hidden primarily because the New Republic does not even suspect its existence and anyone inside the facility has gone to great lengths to stay inside it. We only know of the rough location of the ‘front door’ and a few hidden ventilation shafts in the Asonel Caves,” said Oberst. “Thanks to our reports, we know we shouldn’t have to worry about all but the most loyal Red Police, Foga Brill’s paramilitary group. In an interesting twist, however, we have discovered that this facility was a joint project between Brill and at least a few members of the Inquisitorius. Credible sources lead us to believe that there are several experimental projects of both technological and mystical nature. Rekio, I believe you have the details on these items.”

“I do,” said the Proconsul, “though only on the technological items. Any Force items are too well hidden, if they exist at all. I have highlighted a few items that I believe we should look for over whatever else may be there. First is a unique program designed during the darkest days of the Imperial Remnant, known only by its codename Star Vision. Star Vision allowed for an entirely realistic holographic projection of the host vessel to be created. The image could be scanned and targeted by enemy vessels, and it could even fire in sync with the host vessel. However, it could neither receive nor give any damage. It was a ruse from the very start, but one intended to give the appearance of many more ships than the Imperial commander actually had. Rumor has it that by the time it was perfected, it was too late.”

“That could be useful,” said Anshar. “What else are we looking for?”

“Next on the list is a miniaturized Shadow system,” replied Rekio. “Basically, it virtually eliminates all power signatures from a starfighter, thus allowing for a sneak attack. Unfortunately, it appears as if the smallest the vessel can be is the size of a Y-wing.” A beeping interrupted the conversation.

“Anshar, we’re about to drop from hyperspace,” said Merlance. “Armus has given the orders for everyone to take their respective positions.”

“Acknowledged,” replied Anshar before cutting off the comm. Rekio and Oberst rose to leave, but Oberst stopped.

“I never thought I’d see the day that Tarentum resorted to chasing rumors and piracy,” he said.

“Neither did I,” admitted Anshar.

“Have you given any thought to what we’ll tell the clan if we don’t find anything?” asked Oberst.

“Oh, we’ll find something,” replied Anshar. “Of that, I am very sure.” Oberst just shook his head before leaving the room, though Anshar was certain if it was because the mission itself was risky or because of Anshar’s unnatural slightly optimistic approach.

“I’ve never heard of your vessel,” said the stubborn New Republic lieutenant in charge of the Prakith garrison. “And letting Imperial officers onto such a new vessel during this part of the way? High command must have gone crazy.”

“Do you deny that the orders are legitimate, Lieutenant?” asked Armus, throwing a menacing tone into his voice.

“No, sir,” said the Lieutenant. “Will you require any assistance for your search for this facility?”

“That will not be necessary,” replied Armus. He motioned towards Oberst. “The general here has been fully briefed by his superiors on this facility. Just follow your orders.”

“Yes, sir,” said the lieutenant. With that, Armus cut the comm off.

“Idiot,” he muttered before turning to Oberst and Anshar. “We can get this mission going at any time. Merlance made the intelligence file on the facility available to everyone as you ordered.”

[End part 2 fiction]

Anshar

05-06-2008 21:43:49

Part 2 Events:

1. Fiction

Write a short story that tells about your part in obtaining entrance to the secret facility. How does the clan team, or your part of it, get inside, and what role do you play in it?

Judging will be based on realism as well as your overall story. Make certain to read Part 2 fiction carefully for some details about the facility. Minimum length is 1.5 pages in MS Word, 12 pt font (TNR, Arial, or Courier). Max length of 4 pages.

E-mail submissions to Anshar (ansharkahn@gmail.com) by June 14th.

2. Gaming

Though the gaming doesn't represent anything fictionally until part 3, I did want to open it up early and allow for 2 or so weeks of play.

As the Clan infiltrates the compound, it must fight the defenders (or deal with them after we attempt to leave). Engage other players in any DB utilized game. You may determine what rules you wish to play by, but you may not play the same person more than three times a week.

For this competition, submit scores in the following format:
Platform
Player A [PIN] (score)
Player B [PIN] (score)
etc.

When submitting a score, e-mail Anshar and include your opponent(s) on the e-mail.

In 1v1 play, the winner gets one point and the defeated person gets zero. Top scores will determine the winners, except in Siege or CTF matches where each winning team member gets the point. For non-CTF or Siege matches, the top two performers each get a point. For example, a 2v2 match in JA may result in the following scores:

Player Blue 1: 14
Player Blue 2: 7
Players Red 1: 8
Player Red 2: 3

Blue 1 and Red 1 would then each get a point. This event runs the rest of the competition.

3. Best Screenshot

Best Screenshot: no matter the game, try your best to get an awesome screen shot. It may be a neat action scene, killing your enemy, or anything else (no screenshots of “tea bagging” or other such lewd images will be accepted).

Only members who submit a gaming match can submit a screen shot. In other words, though you can stage a screenshot, you must also have submitted at least one gaming match score (or have it submitted for you by the other member). You may submit up to three screenshots for consideration, but you will only place once (that is, you can't get 1st-3rd)

E-mail to Anshar. This event runs the entire rest of the competition.

Anshar

18-06-2008 00:22:09

[Part 3 fiction]

[Part 3 fiction]

“They’ve entered the facility,” Anshar communicated telepathically to Oberst. Anshar could sense the Marshal’s annoyance at having to go on a tour with the New Republic military officials. Armus, as the “captain” of the Chancellor also accompanied Oberst on the tour and he was no less annoyed than Oberst. Still, It was a “good will” tour, meant to underscore the new cooperation between the Empire and the New Republic, though it had the added bonus of keeping real New Republic agents away from the actual operation. Those that were with the group were under the tight control of a senior clan member.

Anshar himself now stood outside the main entrance to the facility with a few clan members still with him. Anshar had given the direct lead of the infiltration to others with their own little groups. It was meant to ensure that all potential entrances were explored; besides, every potential entrance was a potential exit, should things get difficult.

Rather, no less difficult than some things had already been. A small group of Red Police had tried to stop one group, but ultimately they did nothing more than confirm their presence to the Tarenti. Some clan members had already been wounded by some automated defense systems and at least one member had encountered something very personally disturbing in the initial incursion. Anshar would be sure to check on it later. Signaling to those with him, Anshar led the way into the facility.

“It is as we thought, Colonel. There are several teams encroaching or entering the facility and they arrived at the same time we heard reports of a Bothan Assault Cruiser entering the area.”

“There are even rumors of Jedi amongst them.”

“The Jedi have their hands full,” said the Colonel stiffly. “I highly doubt there are any here. I want the intruders killed and their bodies disposed of completely. We cannot afford to drawn any attention to us.”

“Sir, wouldn’t it be logical to think that, since these intruders have arrived, the government knows we are here? I recommend we follow Moff Brill’s orders and prepare to evacuate.” The Colonel slowly nodded. Not that they had much of an evacuation plan. The few shuttles they did have would not be adequate to run from a determined pursuer. But the Moff had been too confident in the secrecy of the facility; he had not installed a self destruct in the facility. The only choice now was to fight the intruders off and hopefully buy the loyalist forces some time.

The various Tarentum teams began their search deeper into the facility. Anshar could sense that every member of his clan was on their toes, ready for whatever conflicts would arise, but there was also an air of confidence. So far, the mission was going remarkably well and according to the plan. There was, Anshar mused, a first time for everything.

Anshar

18-06-2008 00:24:11

Round 3 Events

Conflict

Now that the Clan team has gotten into the facility, it must search it. However, those soldiers assigned to protect the facility (who have been out of touch with the galaxy at large) are not going down without a fight. Describe any conflict, and the resolution of that conflict, that you have. What, if anything, does the clan manage to walk away with?

Minimum of 2 pages in MS Word, 12 pt font (TNR, Arial, or Courier). Max length of four pages. E-mail submissions to Anshar by June 28th.

Also, gaming and screenshot events are still open. See the last post for details. As of this posting, I have yet to receive any submissions for these two events.

Anshar

29-06-2008 02:49:30

[Conclusion]

“I still can’t believe how easily this whole thing went,” commented Dranik to Anshar. “Normally our missions go awry from the very start, but it seems like everything worked out perfectly.”

“I’m not complaining,” replied Anshar. “Granted, we didn’t get as much as I had hoped out of it. The Star Vision is far more experimental than we thought, so even having the plans does not guarantee we can get it to work.”

“And that strange spirit orb thing that Kaz and his team found?” asked Dranik. “Bloodfyre did say he thought it could trap spirits. That could prove useful in ensuring we exorcised those spirits from the Cestus base.”

“Still, orbs, spirits, and the Keepers don’t often go well together.” Dranik shrugged. Suddenly, their conversation was interrupted by the change in the background noise. The Doomsday had dropped out of hyperspace.

“What the hell?” asked Anshar rhetorically. “We’re not at Yridia, yet.” Anshar rose from his chair and left the small room, followed by Dranik. En route to the bridge, they encountered Oberst, who did not look pleased. No words needed to be spoken between them: they all sought the same thing. They soon arrived on the bridge.

“Captain Merlance, what is going on?” demanded Oberst.

“Sensors detected a vessel directly in our path. Normally, we would have been able to adjust our course, but the ship just appeared,” replied Merlance, the edge of annoyance in his voice only noticeable to those that knew him.

“Sir, sensors confirm the presence of an unidentified MC80 class cruiser,” relayed one of the tactical officers.

“What is one of those things doing here?” muttered Dranik. “It’s not like the Alliance could spare one to be out by itself.” Neither Anshar nor Oberst responded. Silently, they both took a step forward at the same time towards the bridge view port.

“Captain, take us closer,” ordered Oberst, his gaze unbroken. In the distance, the large MC80 cruiser could be seen.

“Helm, half impulse speed,” ordered Merlance. As the Doomsday drew closer, the details of the MC80 became clearer. Oberst exhaled a curse.

“What is it?” asked Armus, who had been on the bridge the whole time, but had not yet given any orders.

“I know that ship,” said Oberst. “What I don’t understand is what it is doing here. It was destroyed.”

“Wait, that’s not-?” asked Armus, stopping short of completing the sentence.

“The Renegade,” finished Oberst. “Once the lead ship of Infiltrator Wing, and bane of the New Republic’s navy.”

“Well, it’s here now,” said Merlance. “Dead or not, we have a derelict MC80 in our way. Scan, any signs of life?”

“Negative, sir,” replied the technician.

“Don’t believe your sensors,” said Anshar, finally joining the conversation, though like Oberst, Anshar’s gaze remained fixed on the MC80. “There’s something alive on that ship, though barely.”

“Captain, prepare my shuttle,” ordered Oberst.

He stared out at the derelict MC80. To be sure, Oberst had his reasons for wanting to inspect the ship, as it apparently was important from his Emperor’s Hammer days. What Dranik could not understand was Anshar’s sudden interest, or his statement that there was something alive on the ship. Dranik couldn’t sense a thing.

“So much for this mission being easy,” muttered Dranik.