ORW3 Games

Duga Taldrya Arkarso

31-05-2005 23:20:47

I'm sure many of you remember the Outer Rim Wars I and II that happened more than two years ago. For those that don't, these events were large inter-club competitions that lasted for several months. Clubs that played included the Rebel Squadrons, the Star Vipers, the Emperor's Hammer, the Vast Empire, and the New Republic 5th Fleet. ORW3 has been in the works and is getting closer to completion and will start this summer hopefully. All the clubs above will most likely be involved, plus more, and us of course.

What I need to get is a survey of what Star Wars games our members would actually come and play at such an event. Reply here. Thanks guys.

Games include the following and whatever other SW multiplayer games I happen to leave out..

X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter
X-Wing Alliance
Jedi Knight
Jedi Outcast
Jedi Academy
Galactic Battlegrounds
Republic Commando
Battlefront

Aidan Kincaid

01-06-2005 02:02:35

You missed Battlefront :P

But I'd be able to play JO, JA and BF... I'd play RC too if they'd patch the damn thing so it'd work.

Arania

01-06-2005 05:20:23

If they don't patch it soon I'm gonna... well, wait longer, I suppose <_<

Xhedias

01-06-2005 06:59:03

But I'd be able to play JO, JA and BF... I'd play RC too if they'd patch the damn thing so it'd work.

I play those games as well.

Halcyon

01-06-2005 07:36:08

If I could get my XWA/XvT to work online, I'd love to play those. But JO and JA for sure

MERLANCE

01-06-2005 13:59:07

JO, JA, and mostly XwA. I might throw a little XvT in, and perhaps some SWGB here and there. Heck, I might even play FoCom if someone wanted to.

Anonymous

01-06-2005 20:36:01

Don't forget Rebellion/Supremacy..

Callus

01-06-2005 20:39:57

Yeah Rebellion PLEASE! and the classic Jedi Knight ofcourse

Andan Taldrya Marshall

02-06-2005 00:54:16

If the DB is signed up I'll be playing lots of XWA

Tarax Kor

02-06-2005 01:04:19

Most likely JO/JA... RC if I bother to get it. That is, assuming I come back before it ends. :P

MERLANCE

02-06-2005 04:59:27

Rebellion is indeed a great game, but its really hard to play in multiplayer, I put it very slow/very fast and it annoys people. Of course, Ive never lost a game online (41-0, if I remember correctly from the old days on the Zone).

Ive started playing it again, lately... good fun. If I havent won by day 300, its because I havent found Rebel HQ...

Anonymous

02-06-2005 18:28:26

I don't think Jedi Knight is really played anymore in the RS or other groups...I know a couple of DB'ers still play it, but is it enough to support it? I don't know. I guess I'd reinstall it and play a few games if it were supported, but I have a hard time believing we'd be able to find any matches. The DB sort of dropped support for JK a few months ago, and for a good reason as it's pretty much dead. :P

BTW, include Counter-Strike: Source. A lot of DB and RSers play it. Can't hurt to try? If it doesn't work then dump it *shrug*

Duga Taldrya Arkarso

02-06-2005 19:03:09

I don't think Jedi Knight is really played anymore in the RS or other groups...I know a couple of DB'ers still play it, but is it enough to support it? I don't know. I guess I'd reinstall it and play a few games if it were supported, but I have a hard time believing we'd be able to find any matches. The DB sort of dropped support for JK a few months ago, and for a good reason as it's pretty much dead. :P

BTW, include Counter-Strike: Source. A lot of DB and RSers play it. Can't hurt to try? If it doesn't work then dump it *shrug*

Yeah, JK is probably not going to have much of any support I would assume. Each club is doing a survey of its members to find out who would be willing to do what so we'll see how the others look.

Probably not CS. The folks that have been planning this seem to all agree to stick with Star Wars games. We are all SW-based gaming club after all. :P

Anonymous

02-06-2005 22:42:33

Oh, of course we're Star Wars-based clubs. That shouldn't exclude the fact that these games don't have as big a player base as they used to, and it should be the exception rather than the rule in my opinion. We're all Star Wars fans, and that's why we're here. We just happen to like Star Wars games. I don't see why that should limit us to playing only Star Wars games. The RSCD used to play the original Counter-Strike quite a bit if I remember correctly, and I know a lot of DB'ers play Counter-Strike: Source as well.

It's not really the type of game where you can organize or arrange a small House or Clan-based event with, either. The only way something like that would work is in a large-scale event such as this, and I see the upcoming Outer Rim Wars as the perfect opportunity to try out new platforms, the most popular at this point in time being Counter-Strike: Source. The DB isn't just limited to Star Wars games anymore, although it may seem like it as we don't see much DC support for anything other than that...and I know the RS isn't restricted to Star Wars games, because they used to play CS. =P

I really don't see what harm it could do to try out something new, and see if it takes off. It's not like having an active player base would be bad, regardless if it's not a "Star Wars game". The fact of the matter is, CS: Source is played by quite a few people, it's easy to get in to and start playing MP (unlike platforms like Republic Commando), and I simply cannot see the wisdom in excluding any possibility of including it.

Duga Taldrya Arkarso

02-06-2005 23:01:46

I'm sure all the clubs involved play games that are non-SW such as CS. Still, both previous ORW events held to just the SW based games, as well as the Celestial Fury event, and the weekly ICTE. Maybe they would be interested in using CS and other games in this, but I doubt it. I'll mention the game at the next group meeting to see what the other clubs think of course.

Anonymous

03-06-2005 04:01:10

Actually the ICTE supported Allegiance for a little bit, but I don't think that ever took off and it was subsequently removed. It might still be there on the bot (the command !Allegiance or whatever), but I can't say for certain. Allegiance was extremely popular here in the DB during the Sith War, and just goes to show that if done right, any game can be a resounding success. And no, Allegiance is not a Star Wars game.

It's not like supporting CS: Source would be a bad thing, either. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, I'll admit it could go either way. It could either be a success, or it could flop down and fail miserably with nobody playing matches for it. Either way, it doesn't make much sense to not try. What's the worst that can happen? Noone plays matches for it? If so, big deal, it doesn't interfere with anything else.

smoke20

03-06-2005 04:24:20

it seems as this is silly, but if the djb is all about fun, and there is some people that want to play CS:Source, then let them. It pretty silly otherwise not to. I for one dont have the game, but if it does get accepted then I would be more than happy to track down a copy an dplay it as well, you can only play so much Star Wars games before it gets old. But if this is brought before a board, shouldn t it be voted on by the entire DJB? if not its just bias. If ICTE will allow Alliegence then why not CS:Source? is there some reason why it wouldnt eve be tried? hell if it fails then it fails. Just like RC there was a huge stink made when it first come out, but look where it got...and same with Battlefront, there were people out there that played, but what happened? and if we do allow CS:Source then it may mena certain people might just get active and game some more...and for others that have that and SW games it may even make them just as more active then if it wasnt around..so why not try it out...I mean really you have a memebr like blade trying to push this....and yes Im backing him. hate me if you will but yes, I honestly feel as it needs to be seriously looked at, hell try it for a few weeks and see what happens? what could that hurt. Are all the star wars nuts out there afraid a simple game might very well mean some old fossils still around might get active and whoop some a55 again? So please give it a try its all people are asking...If it does get accepted on a weekly basis I will be more than happy to go out and grab it...I bought RC on a whim and still havent played it...and if it needs patched to work right...then seriously consider the alternative

Smoke20

Duga Taldrya Arkarso

03-06-2005 19:53:57

Guys, like I said, I'll pass on what games people say they would play. I'll even pass on the non-SW games that we play, but there is no guarantee for those of course. This is not to vote on what games to support, it is just a survey of what people would like to play if available. If enough support for a game is in enough clubs, then it will be supported I'm sure(I'll do my best to see it is). No need to turn this thread into a debate.