World Series Baseball

Kraznor

22-04-2005 23:31:36

Why is the Major competition in Baseball called the World Series when the only country involved in it is the US? Can someone explain this to me

Telona

23-04-2005 02:08:36

Because it's just the way it is.

Kaine Mandaala

23-04-2005 09:45:37

Because back when it was invented - 1903 - saying "World" was special and different. Plopping "World" on an event meant it was huge and important.
I imagine they borrowed the idea from the World's Fair, which was actually international but huge/grand/overwhelmingly spectacular.

The World Series is a set of games to determine the best league (American League or National League) by pitting their best teams against each other. The best teams are determined by inter-league games throughout the season, much like a ladder match. Eventually the leagues narrow it down to one and they play against each other.

Now a disclaimer: Even though my father is from Cooperstown and I've been there about 1,000 times in my life I don't follow baseball.

Súrion

23-04-2005 13:33:30

Are there any countries other than the US that actually play baseball as an official sport? If not then it makes sense to say world series.

Spears

23-04-2005 18:19:17

Well first there are teams in Canada as well so it isn't just the US, mainly the US but not soley. Second there are people from all over the world that play in the league. Third every other professional league on the planet has their best players go to the USA league as it is known to be the best.

Anonymous

23-04-2005 18:51:06

But there are loads of footballers from different countries in England (or even Spain, Italy, Germany..). That doesn't mean the FA Cup is the world cup.

Súrion

23-04-2005 19:51:28

I had no clue Canada had its own baseball league. Soccer/Football is played in many more countries, than baseball is played in.

Kaine Mandaala

23-04-2005 20:07:33

Canadian Baseball? I'm not sure about a full league, but I know there are a few teams.

Spears

23-04-2005 23:01:30

Well Baseball is an Olympic event, so it is by default played in a large number of countries.

Súrion

24-04-2005 07:00:46

Do you mean soccer/football, because I have never heard of an olympics baseball team.

Kaine Mandaala

24-04-2005 10:25:07

Well Baseball is an Olympic event, so it is by default played in a large number of countries.

But those countries are not part of the AL/NL.

Spears

24-04-2005 13:15:39

Thats because they would get crushed. The United States sends college kids to the Olympics for Baseball. Although in fairness, the true Baseball power is probably the Dominican Republic.

Súrion

25-04-2005 07:23:18

What?!?! The Dominican Republic?

Anonymous

25-04-2005 07:55:37

I gather Olympic Baseball isn't restricted entry like the Football? Only U23 footballers are allowed to play in the Olympics (and even then, we don't send a team as there's not a UK football team).

Spears

25-04-2005 08:31:32

Olympic Baseball isn't restricted, but as it falls at the same time as Baseball Season, none of the best players attend.

Yes oddly enough the Dominican Republic is home to many of the best baseball players. More so then even Cuba which for years has been a real hot bed of baseball.

Anonymous

26-04-2005 22:01:19

I had no clue Canada had its own baseball league. Soccer/Football is played in many more countries, than baseball is played in.

Canada has a wide spread minor system for many sports. Baseball, soccer, hockey, lacrosse, football, ect. As well as major league teams for most of these, But for baseball, Canada is involved in the "american" major league and the Word Series. In fact, the toronto bluejays won the W.S. in 92, 93, and 95 I believe. But it doesn't matter cause the sport sucks :P

Soccer and Hockey Rock!!

Halcyon

28-04-2005 12:47:37

Blue Jays only won in 92 and 93...not 95

Súrion

28-04-2005 21:37:51

Is the NHL still "frozen", because of the coaches wanting as much money as the players?

Anonymous

28-04-2005 22:30:21

could have sworn the jays won for a third time in 95. oh well, don't really care. they suck now anyways.

Surion, the season has been cancelled yes. but it didn't have anything to do with the coaches. The team owners wanted to redefine the way they pay the players and give them a players cut (like honestly Tie Domi doesn't need more then 5.6 mill a year) players assicoation of course didnt like this. bitching, nagging, and moaning like wh*res on both sides lead to the end of the season and possibly the entire NHL.

I hear talk that next year they're gonna hire Euros to fill in the many empty spots on the rosters but who knows what will happen. All i know is many ppl are pissed at the NHL and rather go see minor leagues like the OHL (Ontario Hockey League) where the players give a sh*t about the game and not about how much money they can pull from the next hit they make.

WEEE! Go London Knights, GO! :P

freshjive taldrya

09-05-2005 01:45:56

Its called the world series because American MLB is the premier baseball league in existence in the world. Serious about soccer (or football, whatever) then you watch European leagues, cause everyone knows MLS sucks. Baseball? You watch MLB.

Spears

09-05-2005 08:53:40

*nods to Freshjive

"Is the NHL still "frozen", because of the coaches wanting as much money as the players?"

The NHL strike has nothing to do with Coaches, and yes they are still on strike. The NHL strike is over the fact that Players take home between 75-80% of the total League Revenue.