UK Star Wars Cinema Marathon May 16th

Xanos

17-04-2005 17:21:12

http://www.theforce.net/topstory/story/UK_..._16th_91415.asp
I thought some people, especially those living in the UK, might like to hear about this. Apparently they're planning to screen all six (yes that includes Ep3) films in Leicester Square on May 16th. Not only does that mean you'd get to be among the first ever to watch twelve solid hours worth of Star Wars, but they say George Lucas might be there and that the cinema is going to be "patrolled" but members of the 501 Stormtrooper Legion (that's the giant group of people who dress up in tons of replica costumes). Tickets are going to cost £50.

I'm thinking about going... not entirely sure yet. It might make for an interesting DB members meet though.

Anyway, thought I'd let everyone know. It's obviously not far away, and I can imagine it will sell out in a matter of days, but it's something to think about.

Xanos

17-04-2005 17:49:29

http://www.theforce.net/episode3/story/UK_...athon_90064.asp

It turns out that all the cinemas running one of the episodes throughout the day will also be having a single screening of Episode III in the evening. That means there is actually quite a good chance of being able to see Revenge of the Sith a few days early, even if you can't get tickets to the full all day marathon.

Nekura Manji

18-04-2005 03:18:54

Arrgghh... cursed college. And parents. I'm actually in Bristol on May 14th for a comic convention, but I have work on the 15th... and work on the 16th in the evening. Grrr...

Which sucks, because had I been able to, I would seriously have gone to this as well. Especially since it's in my country for a change ^_^

Oberst

18-04-2005 03:33:50

That's a lot cheaper to see Ep3 than it would be in San Francisco. Lucas did a screening of the last two movies, and the redone original trilogy, for charity a week before the movies hit theaters globally. A small group I belong to coughed up quite a bit of money for the Koret House tickets...and then we turned around and auctioned them off for even more money for the Koret House when EpII was released.

I believe the most expensive package this year is $100,000 for 50 tickets to the movie, post party, VIP party and 2 tables for 10 guests for dinner at the Koretz House Dinner (Ritz Carlton this year...I think?). Purchasing the higher end packages, I know, enables kids who are residing at the Koretz House to also watch the premier.

Koret House

Alanna

18-04-2005 04:26:57

I may not go to one of the special screenings, but I'd certainly be up for meeting up with some of the UKers if any do come up/down to London for this...

Cuchulain

18-04-2005 09:00:14

Hell that would be cool. Twelve hours of viewing? Worth thinking about

I've already got my ticket booked in the Filmworks in Manchester for the 12.30am showing. £15 a ticket for the Gallery which has its own bar and provide all the popcorn / nachos / chocolates / soft drinks you can stuff down your throat for free, and then charge you less than bar prices for the alcamahol.

Nekura Manji

18-04-2005 12:03:03

Cooch, you're going to see it at Manchester? Me too, dude ^_^ If you see a guy wearing a ridiculously long black coat with someone who looks reasonably normal compared, that'll be me :D

Xanos

18-04-2005 15:07:09

If you're wearing a long black coat you might as well take along a lightsaber so you can take Kaiann up on his "dress up as a dark jedi and get a medal" offer :P

Nekura Manji

18-04-2005 15:37:13

Yeah, I was planning that... just need to get hold of a lightsabre :D

Tiberius

18-04-2005 18:39:05

I knew there was a down side for moving away from the UK. Who knew it would take four years to come about. Well its a real shame, but I will catch the midnight screening in Toronto! :P

Alanna

19-04-2005 06:29:59

Yeah, I was planning that... just need to get hold of a lightsabre :D

I have a lightsabre you could borrow... see - you need to come watch it in London!

Nekura Manji

19-04-2005 11:08:23

....sucky. I hate having a job... ¬_¬

Alanna

19-04-2005 11:40:57

....sucky.  I hate having a job... ¬_¬

I know what you mean. I've just realised that my job is sending me to a conference over that Monday, so I won't be able to meet up with anyone afterall :mellow:

On the flip side, the conference is in Rome :)

Cuchulain

20-04-2005 11:24:23

Cooch, you're going to see it at Manchester?  Me too, dude ^_^  If you see a guy wearing a ridiculously long black coat with someone who looks reasonably normal compared, that'll be me :D

Haha. I'll keep an eye out for you in your long black coat looking sub-normal, but if any handsome tall irish blokes ignore please don't take it to heart! :lol:

Nekura Manji

20-04-2005 12:14:44

Hehehe... don't worry, I won't. I'll just get my lightsabre hilt and wave it around threateningly then disappear into the darkness of the cinema :D

Xanos

21-04-2005 04:57:52

From what I hear parties will be limited to 4 tickets each, I'm going to try and make sure I get 4, though I'll attempt to do a double and buy 8. If so expect to see me either auctioning them off, or if anyone asks really, really, really nicely, handing out some for free to DB members.

Cuchulain

21-04-2005 09:29:14

Oooohhhh... just got an email from the Filmworks cinema about this! Cos I've already booked my ticketes I've been put into a competition to win a pair of tickets to this back-to-back showing. AND the chance to win a Darth Vader iPod as well. Tried to buy this cover on eBay but I've got an older iPod with buttons on, not just a wheel. Gutted. I'll have to get my crayolas out.

Here's hoping that there's such a thing as luck of the Irish!

Have I said I have a reporter friend who is not a Star Wars fan who's going to the the first showing for reporters and has promised to give me the little goodie bag they get given! Expect the crap bits from it on eBay about 30 minutes later!

Nekura Manji

21-04-2005 11:27:07

I was planning to take the Celebration III flyer that Kaine created and rework it slightly, then stick some up around the cinema when I go to see the film, after people have gone in- after they've come out of a darkened room, having watched the ascendancy of Darth Vader, people are bound to be intrigued by a flyer advertising a Dark Jedi organisation. And then... we will have them! Mwaahahh!! :D

Súrion

21-04-2005 19:05:52

It's times like this when I wish that I lived in the UK.

Xanos

25-04-2005 05:56:02

Well that was a living joke.

They sold out in 9 minutes.

Súrion

25-04-2005 07:14:03

9 minutes.......

Xanos

25-04-2005 16:26:40

Well the true losers have reared their heads... dozens of tickets on say at eBay for upwards of ten times the retail price. Some people even appear to have purchased six tickets just to flog them on eBay.

I hate people like that. They're probably not even Star Wars fans, just chumps trying to make cash by screwing the rest of us out of a chance.

Súrion

25-04-2005 18:50:34

This must be really maddening for everyone who was planning to go. I am glad there was no way I could go otherwise this would really annoy me.

Alanna

26-04-2005 04:55:34

Whew! Apparently they were selling on Ebay for £275 a ticket. (http://www.sky.com/showbiz/article/0,,50001-1179600,00.html)

I'm surprised the organisers didn't limit tickets to 2 per person, like they did with Glastonbury this year.

Xanos

26-04-2005 06:48:12

£275 and rising.

Its typical eBay though. Some are going for £50, others for £600, yet idiots seem to get stuck bidding for the same one... silly people.

Anyway, those still interested see: http://www.darkjedibrotherhood.com/dbjedi/...s.asp?ID=N:2872

Cuchulain

27-04-2005 14:17:41

Tossers. People are bidding against the same ones that say "Star Wars 6 Tickets". The donkies selling them are selling ONE ticket not six, which goes to show:-

1. It's not Star Wars fans selling them cos it's Star Wars 3
2. and certain Star Wars fans will buy anything without reading the small print!

I can see this hitting the headlines about people bludgeoning eBay to death with Darth vader slippers cos they're stee-you-pid and paid upwards of £500 for ONE TICKET!!!

Xanos, I would have loved to have taken you up on your offer and meet up to watch all the movies with proper fans, but at these prices I think you'll be hard pushed to get them unless you've won the Euro Lottery Double Super Duper Rollover Jackpot and haven't told anyone.

(Though if you get them on the cheap let me know! :P )

Xanos

27-04-2005 16:41:31

Yeah, the "six tickets" one sounded like a scam to me. More like "1 ticket that lets you see six movies".

I'm still trying to get hold of some spares. I gave into the tossers and paid £500 for a ticket for myself. It depends how the auction-sales go as to whether I try and get others cheap. I might still buy spares... to sell them on again for more to cover my expenses. I paid £500, some people are paying £1000, so if I buy a second one for £500 at least I can sell it and get my money back. I don't know exactly yet, we'll see how it pads out.

Damn loser people. If these lamers hadn't bought all these extras the rest of us might have been able to have bought tickets the real way.

Uzbad

27-04-2005 20:20:45

I will just pay $15 (canadian) and go see it at midnite, that is if they ever decide to sell the tickets....

Súrion

27-04-2005 20:52:06

I am just wondering, but could someone tell me how many dollars equals a £?

Xanos

28-04-2005 13:34:15

It varies but normally £1 = $1.7.

A dollar is usually worth just over half a pound. The exchange rate has been fluctuating a lot over the past couple of years though and the dollar has occassionally fallen in value almost to the extent of £1 = $2. Though 1:1.7 is a pretty good average.

That means £500 is approximately $850 and £50 is about $85.