House Odan-urr

Ji

13-09-2010 18:07:42

[center][/center]

[center]"We balance on a bridge of light, above the boundless chasm of evil..."[/center]

The orange glow of the morning sun cascaded over the barren, rocky mountains surrounding Menat Ombo, illuminating the primitive animal hide and wooden smattering of buildings clustered beneath the Great Library. The Teacher stroked his long, gray beard as he turned from the finely chiseled balcony back to his students, whose eyes followed him as his crooked figure hobbled across the small, open-air classroom back to the wooden lectern.

A sudden intensity, betraying the sharpness of the mind hidden within the confines of wrinkled brow and wispy hair, came over the man as he pointed a gnarled finger at one of the pupils. "You! Name the Progenitor and goals of our Order by importance!"

The youngster, having learned long ago to abandon timidity in the presence of her teacher, stood up quickly and began to recite from the scrolls. "The Progenitor was Ylenic It'la, founder of the Acolytes of Odan-Urr. We seek to preserve the knowledge of the ancient Jedi Order, protect the local savages from outside threats, as well as one another, and rebuild the Order away from the corruption wrought by cursed lines like that of the Skywalkers."

"Excellent! You may be seated," replied the Teacher as his pupil returned to her seat. "Our Progenitor, Ylenic It'kla, in his infinite wisdom, provided us all the tools we would need to reconstruct that which the Skywalkers destroyed. Our entire library of holocrons, our fighter craft, indeed even the coordinates of this world he endowed unto us. By the time of his death on Alderaan and our retreat he had ensured that the nomadic tribal peoples of this world were expecting us and would welcome us with open arms. I remember our arrival after the defeat of the Alliance at Hoth vivid-..."

"But Master!" interrupted one of the younger students. "If the Rebel Alliance eventually beat the Empire why haven't we returned to Coruscant?"

"Ah but did the Rebellion actually achieve its ends? Has peace actually prevailed in the galaxy? Even after the formal end of the Galactic Civil War strife and chaos have reigned supreme. The government currently in power is just as authoritarian as that under Palpatine. The New Republic and "Jedi" Order fueled the destructiveness of the Yuuzhan Vong with their actions, leading to countless, brutal battles which destroyed worlds," explained the aged Jedi patiently. "No, my pupil. The current regime is as repressive as ever and can we truly trust the son of Anakin Skywalker with the knowledge of our existence?"

"No Master," answered another student emphatically. "He has turned to the Dark Side in the past. Coupled with his parentage he cannot be trusted."

"Very good Selon," sighed the Teacher as he leaned heavily on his podium, an aged BTL-S3 Y-Wing roared past overhead. "Now let us turn to the future. Focus your minds, my students..."

~~~~

Good Afternoon, DJB!

Though I've no doubt you've seen me pestering people (maybe even you!) on IRC to discuss the possibility of a Light Side house, we finally have enough interest, DC support, and written canon that I'm comfortable posting on the forum. I apologize if I, in my zeal, have seemed akin to one of those door to door religious salesmen, but the amount of interest expressed (and the quality of the people expressing it) has me extremely hopeful for the creation of this house.

First, a basic FAQ

Q) Who is Odan-Urr
A) Odan-Urr is the Jedi who built the Great Jedi Library and wrote the modern understanding of the Jedi Code.

Q) What is House Odan-Urr
A) House Odan-Urr is a rag tag group of pupils of former Jedi Master Ylenic It'kla, who was killed on Alderaan.

Q) What specific Jedi ideology will take precedence in the house?
A) It has been discussed enough times that we feel it best to allow any Jedi ideology to exist. If you're a "no power is inherently evil" Jedi, a "there is only light and dark, no in between" Jedi, or a "gray" Jedi you're more than welcome in the house. This can be explained away as most of the people joining this house will formerly be Sith anyway.

Q) Will I have to rewrite my character?
A) No. Although you're more than welcome to rewrite and be one of the original Jedi founders or students, you may also write your character as a convert to the Light Side.

Q) Why would the Dark Jedi even tolerate this house? (Very popular question)
A) Muz and I have come up with about a half dozen scenarios for this and, to be honest, I don't know which one he'll choose to use in his upcoming fiction, but here are a few we discussed. The DC may want to keep the house around as a foil to the Dark houses. It would act as a built in enemy for them to test their mettle against. It might also serve the DC as a place to gather all the Light Side subversives in the Brotherhood to eventually stamp them out. A third possibility is that they may just want to piss off the Dark Houses :P

Q) Why would the Light Side house tolerate the Dark Jedi? (Another very popular question)
A) The obvious answer is that they have no choice. Whatever the case may be, the Dark Jedi are much more powerful. The Light Siders are also so ingrained in the local culture of their world (whose placeholder name is McDonalds) that they feel obligated to stay and protect the locals. Also, converts are flowing into the house from the other houses, so times are (at least form an arrogant Jedi perspective) pretty good.

Q) Will the new house have a military?
A) Not as it's currently understood in the other houses. The members will be the military. Instead of buying specific squadrons and ships, we will buy squadrons of 'generic fighters' and issue one to each member as his personal craft. He can then choose whether he wants a T-65 X-Wing, Y-Wing, Aethersprite, TIE Fighter, or some other oudated, old school craft. The members will then form and populate their own squadrons and ships like Nebulon Bs will be provided for transport by the house. As for ground forces we haven't decided yet, but the entire thing might be tribal militias if we can swing it.

Q) Will land grants or other territory be granted?
A) Again, not in the traditional sense. Instead of land grants, influential members may be given a "Tribal Protectorate". This would grant a member a specific tribe of the planet to be his responsibility to defend. He or she would also then be able to write and flesh out the tribe itself. Anything goes... Mongolian style, Cherokee, Pueblo, Zulu, Maori, Aboriginie. Your call.

Q) How many committed members do you have?
A) We have 9 committed members: 1 EQ3, 2 EQ2s, 2 EQ1s, 2 DJKs, 2 JHs

Q) How many semi committed members do you have?
A) Countless :P Lots of people are very very interested, including a few elders. So let's make a commitment and take a leap, for funsies' sake if nothing else :)

Love you all!
Ji

Orv Dessrx

13-09-2010 18:15:28

Ji and all involved, I think this is super exciting and has a potential for growth...Especially with the impending SW:TOR. There has been reasonable thought placed in the backstory that is passable and should grow in time.

Side note: That logo is ballsy.

Ji

13-09-2010 18:20:46

Thanks Orv! Your input and support has been invaluable and greatly appreciated.

Yeah, Muz did a super awesome logo for us hehe :)

Windos

13-09-2010 18:54:20

I pledge my support! Huzzah! Etc...

Zod

13-09-2010 19:02:59

Absolutely delicious. Odan-urr is probably my favorite Light Jedi and I can't wait to see this House develop and integrate into DB canon.

I say this calls for a bringing back of the Jedi Robes from the April Fools joke a couple years back ;)

But I have a question:

How would being a Jedi of Odan-urr factor into being a member of a Society, primarily the Grandmaster's Royal Guard? I mean, I hope that Odanites would still be allowed to compete in DB gaming, but how would it pan out fictionally? The Grandmaster being the Dark Lord of the Sith and all...?

Ji

13-09-2010 20:11:53

Absolutely delicious. Odan-urr is probably my favorite Light Jedi and I can't wait to see this House develop and integrate into DB canon.

I say this calls for a bringing back of the Jedi Robes from the April Fools joke a couple years back ;)

But I have a question:

How would being a Jedi of Odan-urr factor into being a member of a Society, primarily the Grandmaster's Royal Guard? I mean, I hope that Odanites would still be allowed to compete in DB gaming, but how would it pan out fictionally? The Grandmaster being the Dark Lord of the Sith and all...?

I have Not discussed this with muz yet but i am 99 percent certain it wont affect it

Zod

14-09-2010 22:56:01

Awesome. Odan-urr looks amazing, I really hope to see it come to fruitation and develop! I think as we progress in Star Wars canon, some members would like to have a possibility to change sides. Get a fresh start with the Light Side.

Great work Ji, looking forward to more! :D

Severon V

15-09-2010 21:58:10

Ji, this sounds incredible, and with you thinking of it I know it will be incredible. I pledge my support, and if the House does open I would like to be a member of it!

Ji

23-09-2010 01:17:44

Current roster includes:

1x EQ4
1x EQ3
3x EQ2
1x EQ1
2x DJK
1x NOV

That's ten people, but there's plenty of room for more :)

Sanguinius

23-09-2010 07:53:55

Holy shamoly Ji! Next you'll be giving away all my goodies too!

Windos

23-09-2010 18:48:28

Someone higher ranked than me?!

VETO! :P

Severon V

23-09-2010 21:56:14

Woo for the only EQ1 on the roster!

Sanguinius

24-09-2010 08:14:00

Incorrect....Ji's list is wrong. There are actually two EQ1. I suggest our darling Ji checks his rankings more carefully. :P

Ji

25-09-2010 14:12:22

Did I miss count? A few people are using their actual names in their email addresses and I don't have them pegged to DB names quite yet.

Quejo

25-09-2010 20:04:50

Add me.

Denath

26-09-2010 07:02:22

I have a strong interest in re-writing my character to a Lightsider again. I actually put together a proposal for a Lightsider House last year, should still have the info around somewhere. If you need a hand, let me know - denathciarus at gmail / dossier 307.

Robin Hawk

26-09-2010 20:01:31

Quejo am I going to have to retouch your characters skin colour from Red to blue or green? :P

Add me.

Windos

26-09-2010 20:32:10

RH, think you could do up a Wiki Category image like the other houses (logo is at the top of the thread)? Those things ooze sexyness.

Korvyn

26-09-2010 22:17:40

Wait it's not april WTH?!

Robin Hawk

26-09-2010 22:50:50

Right on it Windos. (Its in your email)

Windos

26-09-2010 23:31:12

No, cause this [sand] is real!

Windos

02-11-2010 20:59:43

More information about the house can be found here: http://www.darkjedibrotherhood.com/wiki/in...-Urr_Prospectus