Darth Bane Book Series.

Taigikori

08-03-2008 01:50:58

I'm looking to start reading the Star Wars novels, would it hinder me if I started here? Thanks.

Letum

08-03-2008 05:45:26

In my opinion the Darth Bane books are an excellent place to start it gives you some insight into background history that is mentioned throughout the entire SW storyline. It is also a way to learn about the rule of two and how it came to be.

Tarax Kor

09-03-2008 11:46:54

the Darth Bane book series is absolute crap. It's near the top of the list of the wrost written SW fiction available to the public.

To save yourself the trouble, read the comic that covers the book(s) instead. Or better yet, just Wiki it. :P

You've got to realize that most of the books start off AFTER Return of the Jedi, so getting some story before the Original Trilogy in novel format is hard.

Your options are to start with all the Prequel-era books, or just pick one of the books that start a series and move from there.

I would suggest starting with A.C. Crispin's Han Solo trilogy. It's a very fun and interesting read if you're just starting out. After that, the highly suggested reads are:
  1. the Timothy Zahn books (you could start with Outbound Flight, as it's the earliest chronologically).
  2. [/*:m]
  3. Michael A. Stackpole's and Aaron Allston's X-Wing series.
  4. [/*:m]
  5. Kevin J. Anderson's Jedi Academy series.
  6. [/*:m]
  7. I hear the Bounty Hunter Wars series is decent, too.
  8. [/*:m][/list:u]The list too too long to name. But you get the idea. It depends when you want to jump into the timeline.

Kalak Ragnose

12-03-2008 16:58:35

I'm afraid I'm your opposite here Tarax :P I found the first Darth Bane fantastic and I have read over 75 Starwars books. However I dislike the Han Solo Trilogy

On the whole though I would really reccomend Timothy Zahn. He is possibly the best SW Writer.

James Longstreet

12-03-2008 17:25:15

Suppose you start on 2-3 places.

1. start with Bane if you want, chronological, yes

2. start with the books of the prequel aera, in chronological order

3. gon on with the books right after the standart trilogy (yes, Zahn and Stackpole are the best!), chronological

IŽd have understood many things better if IŽd started this way, but no, I was and am reading more or less in all times; which is not made easier by the fact that it takes long times till he books are translated and published in german (hell, the first of the swarm war books was published only a few days ago!!!).

JCyrin

12-03-2008 22:05:25

I personal enjoy the Darth Bane book series. I have read the comics, only for the visual, and wiki it for information, but the details and the story behind it all is why I read & enjoy the Darth Bane books. I am still in the process of finishing Rule of Two, and so far its better than any star wars book i have read. B)

Taigikori

13-03-2008 00:35:56

I personal enjoy the Darth Bane book series. I have read the comics, only for the visual, and wiki it for information, but the details and the story behind it all is why I read & enjoy the Darth Bane books. I am still in the process of finishing Rule of Two, and so far its better than any star wars book i have read. B)

I just picked them both up, so far Path of Destruction is awesome. :D

Tarax Kor

13-03-2008 02:19:12

You all sicken me.

Especially you, Kalak. :P

Minaith

19-03-2008 23:25:23

I read Darth Bane: Path of Destruction in its entirety today, and thought it was awesome.

Severon V

20-03-2008 13:58:37

I believe it's a grand idea. The Bane series provides insight on why the galaxy is the way it is. Also it explains about an awesome weapon. >:)