Best Way To Make C. Trooper Armor

Makurth Mandalore

25-06-2007 22:32:06

OK, my cousin's "Sweet Sixteen" B-day is coming up and he wanted to do an Star Wars themed B-day party. I was going to make both myself and him a set of Clone Trooper Armor so we can use it for Halloween this year. I have exactly two weeks to have this stuff ready and painted for his B-day.

I was wondering what the best way (and hopefully not hard on my budget) to create great looking armor was. I don't want it to look crappy, but I don't want to spend thousands on it either. Here's what I'm hoping my end results will look something like:

<- His
<- Mine

His height is roughly 5'6
My height: 5'3

Kaine Mandaala

26-06-2007 08:54:45

"Sweet Sixteen" is usually only referring to a girl's 16th birthday...

Anyhow:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-Clone-Troope...1QQcmdZViewItem

$350 for a kit.

Costuming is tough in one way or the other. Take these three things:

- CHEAP
- NOW
- PERFECT

You can only choose two. Choose wisely.

Makurth Mandalore

26-06-2007 23:00:07

Thanks for the advice, Kaine! What I've managed to do is I asked a buddy of mine who is in the 501st Legion (And is helping me with my application as well) As for the sweet sixteen, that was my bad. I had my mind elsewhere when I was typing and accidentally posted that.

Needless to say, I got very lucky and he gave me his old set of Scout Trooper Armor. He told me that he was going to re-do another armor kit for a set of Sand Trooper armor. Thing is, he is overseas (UK) and I'm not sure how the customs and all that will work if I'm picking it up in person. Can someone explain how that would work?

Since I'm getting a "free" set of armor for myself, I can use the extra money I have saved to buy my cousin his own set. Needless to say, I'm horrible with my hands and have resorted to lurking Ebay. So far, things have been in my price range, and I'm hoping I don't get into a bidding war.

My buddie's old SC armor:

Kaine Mandaala

27-06-2007 09:12:41

Damn - I need friends in the 501st!

I've been stalking the trooper costume vendors for about 10 years now. I've seen a lot of them, gathered reviews, heard negatives and positives, tried to separate the facts from the hype. I've seen a few get busted by LFL and disappear. I've seen some disappear for no reason, then come back under a different name.

In all this time I've never actually purchased anything, mostly because I don't trust that I could assemble the helmet. The kits frighten me. Sure I could just buy the whole thing already put together, but that's double the price! :P

Makurth Mandalore

27-06-2007 10:57:25

I know- It's insane!! And the sad thing is, once you pay for the bodysuit, gloves boots, etc (Wierd thing is, Stormi armor kits come with the helmet, but Scout's don't) You'd wind up paying the same price.. :(

BTW, I found my cousin's armor, but it's only a kit.. No helmet, bod. suit, gloves or boots. Is $350 a rip off?

Adien Falaut

27-06-2007 13:41:18

That's cool I didn't know they had stuff like that out I knew about the sabers and blaster replicas but WOW!

Kaine Mandaala

27-06-2007 14:12:31

That's cool I didn't know they had stuff like that out I knew about the sabers and blaster replicas but WOW!

None of the trooper armor is official - meaning Lucasfilm hasn't licensed any of it. Quality and reliablility are pretty much a toss up, which is why I've been trying to keep track of as much feedback on sellers as I can get.

I'm kind of glad that LFL hasn't officially put anything out there. I always thought they should do that with lightsabers, and when they finally did they made them unaffordable to the average SW fan. Even the Force FX stuff - at $100+ each - seems a bit pricey for a glorified chrome flashlight.

Anyhow - scour eBay from time to time looking for "Stormtrooper Armor -toy -figure -swg" and you'll find a lot of them. The "-" stuff cuts out action figures and the occasional SWG character people are trying to hock on eBay (which is against the EULA anyhow).

Makurth Mandalore

01-07-2007 23:31:59

Kaine, I remember you posting about how you'd been lurking around at conventions and stuff. If you want to make/buy a costume I'd suggest going here www.501st.com and click on the resources link and go to the board that has the costume or armor you're wanting to get. That's how I got started and am now a member of the Pathfinders Detachment, MidSouth Garrison

:D