Db Roleplay

Vodo

20-06-2007 22:10:59

Ok, so, when I joined the Brotherhood four Years ago, i admit, I was considerably younger, but I also was under the impression that the Dark Jedi Brotherhood was a more immersive experience, something more like I was currently experiencing on MSN Groups.

I'll come right out and admit that I was for a long time a text based roleplayer. Its a lot like the current method of Run-Ons that we run, with several notable differences. In a Run-On, is literally several different people writing a story by taking turns. In Roleplay, you focus more on the actions of your own character, and the use of someone else's character IC is a big no-no.

I've been thinking lately that we as a club have many talented writers, and that we could pull off one heck of a massive epic roleplay.

If we were to do this, you would play your character, at your current rank and ability level. All things would be done and treated as though the Brotherhood were a real entity, and this was what our characters considered their lifestyle. Note that the difference between a Roleplay (RP) and an Roleplay Game (RPG) is that RP is free form, and has no stats, whereas an RPG is dictated by rules and stats.

Anyone Game?

This wouldn't be the thread we'd use, I'd make a new one, probably somewhere in the RPG Forums or Fiction/Writers Corner, depending on where it would most please Kaine.

Kaine Mandaala

20-06-2007 23:59:40

Sildrin and I had discussed an IRC channel that was RP only. You only spoke In Character, using emotes to describe what you're doing, etc. Ops could boot people who weren't playing along.

It's been a few months since we talked about it, but that seems the most appropriate 'immediate response' solution.

The thread called "The Lounge" was a massive RP effort, though it tends to have a lot of immature drama. My last appearance there - though I never really explained what I was doing - was to commemorate the anniversary of it being the single oldest, continuously running thread on the whole forum. It has 1800+ posts!

Demious

21-06-2007 03:29:16

Now, I know I'm just some dispensable noob (or I think of myself that way, anyways), but I really like the idea of an IRC RP channel.

Kaine Mandaala

21-06-2007 08:35:01

Don't worry Demious - Every valid opinion has merit in this matter. Those who are for this idea don't really need to explain anything. As long as you state why you are against it, we're listening.

Maybe we'll throw up a poll to see what the interest truly is before we try to get a channel registered.

Vodo

21-06-2007 13:18:49

I don't even mean emotes!
I mean a full out text based RP. IRC or Forum based of no concern to me.
the whole /me tag on IRC just supliments the whole sentance a member would use to describe their action. But I see that we're on the same page here. Email me?

Macron Sadow

21-06-2007 14:33:54

I like this idea a lot. I wish I had more IRC time.... and text-based email might be cool, too or on the Forum. I'm all for it. I am willing to help in any way, and have run SW D20 games for years.

Debric

21-06-2007 16:15:04

If you ran a d20 and helped us along (I have a bunch of the books, but nobody plays where I live so I'm shaky on all the rules) I would be the first to sign up. We could each have character sheets using the SW d20 system and everything.

As for an IRC channel devoted only to RP, I don't see why not. The only problem I see is people going in there and then maybe sitting at a bar, and nothing ever happening.

Demious

21-06-2007 16:51:34

An RP I can deal with - just act in character. But an RPG....I dunno. Dice scare me :(

Rannik

21-06-2007 18:56:09

Im all up for an RPG mIRC channel

Aabsdu

21-06-2007 19:56:02

I like the idea of an IRC channel for this, but I know nothing about this D20 stuff you guys are talking about :/

Rannik

21-06-2007 21:14:46

I know nothing of D20 either... I would just like to role play :P

Makurth Mandalore

21-06-2007 22:50:15

I'm all for a RP thread, be it on the boards or on IRC. That was, in itself, the main reason why I joined the DB to begin with. It combined two things that I really liked into a gigantic roll of goodness for me.

The only thing I wouldn't like about mIRC is the fact that the computer I use (Both at home and at work) doesn't have access to mIRC. This is what is leaning me towards a more "traditonal" mode.

However, there is also the option of running two completely different RP, one on the boards and on mIRC...

Rannik

21-06-2007 23:34:27

That could work. ONe for boards and one for mIRC. All I want to know is when will we get a channel for it? lol

Vodo

22-06-2007 02:29:08

As I explained in my opening post, we would lean FAR FAR away from anything resembling d20, or an RPG. That is why we would be calling this a Roleplay (RP). I would favor a more traditional mehtod such as these forums becuase with an IRC channel, you have to have been involved to know what has been going on, and be in the loop. Not everyone has full access to IRC, or great access anyways.

With a message board, we could run several threads at once, everyone would be able to participate equally at anytime, and it would be a much more enjoyable event. If any of you have any pull within your clan, or are in a position of leadership, ask around and inquire if anyone else would be willing to participate in a RP thread via the Message Boards or mIRC given a chance.

Spread the news far and wide, and lets see what sort of feedback we get!

Makurth Mandalore

22-06-2007 10:23:11

Cool! I know this is a bit off topic, but has it seemed that the Run-On corner of the boards is dead??

Xhedias

22-06-2007 16:34:53

This sounds very much like a run on except for that fact that you dont write about other peoples characters. In a sense..there isn't even that much of a change going on here. There will be a lot less to write about because you are only controlling your own character and only speaking in character.

The problem with IRC is that not everyone will be able to access it at the same to and give it the same commitment that another member may. So people will wander to the message board for convenience.

The MB will be a problem because it is very similar to other run ons, they get old quick and they die. Most RO's never finish. Whats the point of starting another thread to not finish what you started?

Macron Sadow

22-06-2007 16:38:24

I have put an emai, out to my Clan.

Hmm. Xhedias has a good point- the trick would be, to make it worthwhile somehow, or enagaging. Making it a competition might work...

Vodo

22-06-2007 17:40:47

^_^

Like I said earlier, I was an avid Text Based Roleplayer. I have carried several threads past a thousand posts each, and a few more very near to 2000 posts. Its not hard if you know how to involve elements that won't destroy it for other people. Theres a lot of give and take, and the people who only take ruin the story.

RP vs RO
-----------

-In Run-Ons, you have complete directional control during your post turn
-In Roleplays, you have control of your character, and NPCs you introduce into the story

-In a Run-on, you can send the thread in any direction you wish during your post
-In a roleplay, you can too, but it has to conform to the above rule

-In a Run-On there usually is a stated goal before the run-on is produced
-In a Roleplay, it is mostly undirected, and people take it where they want

-Fights in Run-Ons are boring becuase they are one sided, and one person can end the fight at anytime
-In a Roleplay, theres a much more interesting battle sequence, which is multifaceted, and ends when someone secumbs to combat

Btw, MBs will likely be our main domain.

Xhedias

22-06-2007 18:41:03

Seems so messy.

Rigar Ulrand

22-06-2007 18:43:55

I like your explanation alot Vodo
Im all for an RP section
ive been involved in many forums on the web where it was all RP based
if you need any help in starting it up ill do anything that needs to be done

Makurth Mandalore

23-06-2007 01:22:29

Me too! I've been Rping for nearly six years

Draco Maligo

23-06-2007 03:51:24

I've never done rp, but I'm interested in participating.

Lokasena

23-06-2007 03:57:51

I like te idea too.
I've tried something like it before. the 'Hunting Grounds' run-on I started was very similar.
The idea was for every one to be able to do their own thing without nesesarily interacting with other members.
One could simply run through the woods at his/her own pase.
Unfortunatly the problem is when you uphold the law of 'double-posting' you'll find that one day no one will write anymore. The thread will die...!

Abraxia

25-06-2007 02:34:46

Sure. Sounds good. Never been in a RP such as is being suggested here, but I'm game. ^.^

Kaine Mandaala

25-06-2007 12:37:47

I like te idea too.
I've tried something like it before. the 'Hunting Grounds' run-on I started was very similar.
The idea was for every one to be able to do their own thing without nesesarily interacting with other members.
One could simply run through the woods at his/her own pase.
Unfortunatly the problem is when you uphold the law of 'double-posting' you'll find that one day no one will write anymore. The thread will die...!

The double posting rule is to keep people from having a monopoly on the thread. No one wants to read page after page of one person's opinion or side of the story. It's why I get turned off to run on's very quickly - I hate reading long posts/fan fiction. Keep it simple, and remember there are others who are playing along.

Adien Falaut

25-06-2007 13:00:39

I agree excellent idea a RP section would be great I do have several of the D20 books as well but like Debric I am shaky on the rules since I have no one near me either to get used to the game.

Vodo

25-06-2007 14:10:31

The Rules to Roleplaying as as simple as the rules for Run-ons. They are so close infact, I had the hardest time adjusting to the minute differences to write run-ons. It was funny.

Like run-ons, most of RPs rules have to do with etiquette. Ideas on how to act and how to progress the story. The main rules are "Never Use Another Person's Character. Period", "Don't Double Post", and "Don't Power Play".

In a roleplay, you are writing from YOUR character's point of view, and therefore, you cannot in any circumstance use another person's character or a NPC that they introduce. If you want a person to react in a certain way, you can lead them to that action by setting the scene up a certain way, or discuss it with them OOC (Out of Character).

Power Playing would be in combat, one person starts calling shots. I'll talk more about RP combat later, but its the same thing with the above rule. You do not control the other character, so when you attack someone, you can't say you hit them. They have the choice of dodging, blocking, or taking the attack. All things happen sequentially, so if I attack first, that person's attack won't stop mine when they attack my arm. Since they didn't block, they'd be dead, and my arm is fine. see? I A Power Player will say they attack someone else, and it did this much to that person, and they are injured. That's a big NO-NO. A power player outside of combat will look like someone who hijacks the plot line for themselves, and glorifies their own abilities beyond what they are actually capable of.

The etiquette part pretty much only deals with the way you present your character, the ways you keep the story moving efficiently, without the needless endless combat routine that younger roleplayers will inevitably fall into.

I have emailed Kaine with a request for a Roleplay Forum Board, or Sub-Board, so I will await his decision.

Kaine Mandaala

25-06-2007 14:12:03

This RP thread would not deal with D20 rules. The only "rules" would be the DJB CoC. It would follow the same general feel of the ACC, where rank would dictate what you were capable of.

The only thing I've ever had a problem with - and some people have already commented along this line - is that a lot of people are under a misconception that DJB ranks make you an ultra-powerful character. Me? I could be, because I'm a Dark Prophet, but even still I'm not completely invulnerable. I could fall from a lucky strike by a DJK. Think of it along the lines of Anakin vs. Dooku, Geonosis fight. Dooku was far more powerful, but Anakin held his own rather well for a while.

As long as everyone kept their actual power in check, the thread wasn't a second- or third-rate soap opera like The Lounge used to be, and everyone respected the fact that not everyone wants to read screen after screen of your garbage -- it could work.

NOTICE: http://www.darkjedibrotherhood.com/forum/i...p?showforum=127

ZandoranCelix

25-06-2007 22:13:42

I'm all for a RP thread.

I'm a veteran roleplayer for the last 7 years. Started off with MSN chats, then moved into MSN groups and now I have helped with several sites, played several games and am very active amongst tf.n, RPF(Roleplaying Forum).

I'm willing to help get it off the ground.

Anyone who worries that it is going to be hard, or that tihngs won't go smooth, then you've never experienced a good RP.

As long as you can write a story, you can Roleplay. It generally comes from a third person view, but only follows the actions and observations of your one character.

If you wanna see some good RP examples, head over to boards.theforce.net and view there Roleplaying Forum.

There are plenty of examples, the good the bad and the ugly. But it will give you a far greater understandng of what this would be as an undertaking and your role in it.

Vodo

26-06-2007 00:42:33

Alright! We have a forum!

Zandoran is right, it takes place mostly from the third person PoV. I'll see you guys on the other board...

Makurth Mandalore

01-07-2007 23:44:09

It seems that the RP forum where we have our stuff is a bit dead..... Wonder what happend?

Eludajae

15-08-2007 08:01:26

I am new here, but I have been role playing on both text based rp's (( both chat based and message board based)) for some time, I play eq2 on the Lucan D'Lere server which is one of the 2 RP servers. RP without dice is the best kind of RP.

And I saw a post where someone said, "seems messy" thats the point, your not writting a story, your particpating in a live event that you are in, think of it as in interactive book or even a video game with multiple paths, KOTR comes to mind, but much less limited and yes messy...lets you get your imagination get it's "hands" dirty.

:D

Adien Falaut

15-08-2007 12:50:47

Sounds fun!

There has been several time we've tried to get a RP game going and it just falls off the map.

I do plan on getting the new Star Wars Saga RP books as soon as I can and still have several of the older ones as well.

Starkiller

26-09-2007 09:58:55

The idea is ok, but we lack a couterbalance.. aka JEDI (lightsiders what ever). I would suggest dice rolling but not so intense. To focus mainly on story.