Knights of Darkness

Krayn

23-05-2006 21:35:22

I am looking to start a JA Clubish type thing. Where the most elite in JA ((Such as Qui-Gon, Rasilvenaira, Ect.)) Will participate against the other JA based clans across the world. I will organize some ranks for this and get some mods for the specific ranks. I would like to see how many people are intrested in this before i formally submit the purposal to Kaek. Thanks.

Ylith Pandemonium

24-05-2006 10:58:08

The Idea has been done before...and it didnt work out.

Besides, we have similar stuff, like Battle teams. Maybe its cool to get your
team to roam the public servers and make a (good) name for the DB

;)

Sith Bloodfyre

24-05-2006 11:55:40

This would also pretty much fall under the pretense of the GMRG. Maybe try getting in touch with Khobai.

Andan Taldrya Marshall

24-05-2006 14:00:08

Ya, this is pretty much what the gaming circle of the GMRG is supposed to be. The only real differance is that the gaming circle is open to people who play any game that is officially sanctioned by the DB. At the very least, even if Khobai doesn't want to work with this then he should be able to give you the names of some people who might be interested.

Xanos

24-05-2006 18:10:36

While none of it is likely to see the light of day until after the GJW as everyone will be too busy with that to care I'm thinking of including something like this in my Gaming Society / GMRG reforms / random ideas that I'm working on to improve the gaming aspect of the DB.

Games like Battlefront just don't work right on a 1v1 level so I'm trying to think up ways of incorporating public server play into the DB... but its going to require a fair amount of discussion within the DC and CONs about how we handle medals and awards etc. It's also rather dependant on the automated ladder boards I'd like to get up and running after the GJW.

Anywho... "in the works" is the best statement I can give now really. It is something we're seriously considering giving thought to though. What form it takes however is subject to discussion still.

Raken

28-05-2006 04:07:08

It would be interesting to see something like the GMRG gaming circle, or any Battleteam, enter "civilian" ladders and tournaments on our supported platforms. Placing well, or winning the ladder or tournament could bring rewards to our members, their clans and houses, or whoever participates.

This would suit an RPG element of the DJB "going out to face the enemy", which in this case would be the ranks of mouth-breathing teenagers avoiding rent in their parent's basements. These "crusades" could then be lauded upon the return of our members and carry special accolades, etc.

Ylith Pandemonium

28-05-2006 07:11:45

well..Battleteams are in your own house, so that wouldnt be a problem. As for the Gaming Circle, it's there, but
it's not often shown.
The Civilian ladders are called the Sunday Tourney and the ICTE.

Rewards that are given are crescents and Cluster of Fire's

As for the RPG elements...thats where the run ons and the ACC come on really...

soo ehh.yeah...hope that answers your suggestions

Raken

28-05-2006 07:57:20

I'm talking about going beyond those things we have already. There are many more tournaments, clans, clubs, etc. to challenge, the results of which can be brought back to the DJB and rewarded. This is where the RP element I was discussing comes in, not the ACC or run-ons--we have that already. These forays outside the DJB would be known as "crusades" and acknowledged and sanctioned for reward within the Brotherhood. When the Battleteam or element in competition "return" from the crusade, we make it more of a public spectacle for the whole Brotherhood rather than just those who participate in those elements of gaming.

I think a problem now is not enough of us "see" what the Brotherhood does on fronts that are not of immediate interest to that particular member. A crusade would bring more attention to these events and widen the ability for members to compete as representatives of the DJB.

Andan Taldrya Marshall

28-05-2006 11:08:26

That's an interesting idea, but creating a new set of comps with another club(s) is a major logistical pain. Even though it doesn't look like it takes a lot of effort now, ICTE took quite a bit of effort to get running in the beginning. Unless we enter an established multi-club comp like a Week of War (which we used to do, but that's more or less fallen out of favor) then we're going to have to do a serious amount of leg work to get the comp running.

It isn't impossible to do, but it'd be MUCH easier to either enter a few WoWs or invite the new club into ICTE.

Aidan Kincaid

28-05-2006 16:20:02

Gaming with non-DB like clubs has been tried many times before, each time ended horribly. First, as a half RP club you get criticized and insulted ny 90% of the normal gaming population (ie guys who just play a game over and over with people they know) Second, DB skill is crap compared to other such clans. The best of the DB can't take on the worst of the gaming clans... we've tried.

If you want to play with clubs that are more like us... it's called the ICTE and even that we only see 1-10 competitiors from a collection of 5 (or something) allied clubs. Pretty sad really. Not sure why people want to go out and prove how much they suck elsewhere when they aren't commited to improving in the DB. Yes. Playing something besides NF Sabers is sort of a must.

Anonymous

28-05-2006 18:25:37

"Gaming with non-DB like clubs has been tried many times before, each time ended horribly. First, as a half RP club you get criticized and insulted ny 90% of the normal gaming population (ie guys who just play a game over and over with people they know) Second, DB skill is crap compared to other such clans. The best of the DB can't take on the worst of the gaming clans... we've tried."

It's been tried once, with JO, in the TWL (if I'm not mistaken). I wouldn't constitute that as numerous times, to be honest. Yes, DB'ers will get criticized for being roleplaying nerds, and newbies at the game. You're going to get criticized in any type of gaming league anyways, even if you were just another Clan. If you can't stand the heat and ignore the majority of idiots that play these games in leagues, then you shouldn't even try to participate altogether.

Shadow is right though, in that you can't really go into something like this unprepared (which is what happened the first time). You have to organize a team of players that are willing to work on improving their skills in the game, and are dedicated enough to meet up regularly to practice, as a TEAM. It's not only that, but you have to find a group of DB'ers that are mature enough to handle other people. Think of a Gaming League as the NFL. You might be friendly and goodie goodie off the field (and perhaps occasionally on it), but during the match it's war. Think of every competetive match as the SuperBowl. People are very serious about these games, and if the DB ever wants a chance to make a reasonable attempt in a gaming league against other Clans it needs a team of people who are the same way. Not necesarilly assholes...but people who can grit their teeth, concentrate on the game, and try their best to win.

If someone really wants to do this, the best place to start would be to find a group of individuals that share a passion for competing in these games. Don't just get a group of JO or JA players together and jump into a gaming league. Start off small. Go into PUBLIC servers, not DB servers, and play ALL settings with PUBLIC gaming rules (which means there are no rules. You kick, stab, attack, exploit, cheap, whatever you can to win). See if you can handle it. The DB plays by pussy rules, and has ever since JO and JA have been released. It's different on public servers. The majority of people in the DB are casual gamers who only play for fun, and don't want to be hit by cheap shots. You can still do that in public servers...a lot of the problem is these retarded DB wuss rules. We've listened to whining newbies far too often, and it does get in the way of potential Multiplayer gaming growth. If we simply accepted the way the game is supposed to be played to begin with, we would all be a lot better off and better JO and JA players because of it.

Anyways, if you can handle the public servers, players, and rules, you need to organize regular times to meet up and practice. Do that successfully for a month or two, then you can start doing scrimmages against other clans. Don't sign up for a league yet. Just do meaningless games against other competetive groups. Once you get into the groove and get used to it, THEN you go into the gaming leagues and give it a shot. That's the only way it's going to happen.

And I doubt it will ever happen.

"If you want to play with clubs that are more like us... it's called the ICTE and even that we only see 1-10 competitiors from a collection of 5 (or something) allied clubs. Pretty sad really. Not sure why people want to go out and prove how much they suck elsewhere when they aren't commited to improving in the DB. Yes. Playing something besides NF Sabers is sort of a must."

Exactly why I was always opposed to pussy DB rules, and always wanted us to try and expand our role in the Multiplayer community. Probably too late now though.

EDIT: If you really want to try this, don't grab the "best" DB JO / JA players we have. Grab the dirtiest. The players who exploit all the crap everyone hates. Those are the kind of people you need. Not "good players under these conditions", but cheap players who don't care how the other person feels when they get cheap shotted. Grab the "morons", the "cheap asses", and the "idiots". Get them together and have them work as a team, practice, etc. They'll get good by "public" standards, and might have a chance to actually win. Good luck :P