Lucas Releases ORIGINAL Trilogy

Kaine Mandaala

04-05-2006 12:01:19

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20060504/...dHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ

The original Theatrical releases of ANH, TESB and ROTJ will be released for a limited time on DVD.

See the link!

Xayun Erinos

31-05-2006 11:07:03

At least this means that some of the more diehard, rabid SW-philes will stop complaining about how Lucas 'raped their childhood' with Special Editions.

Wait, no, they'll find a way. :)

Kaine Mandaala

31-05-2006 14:49:00

There's always a way...

I like what Lucas did for most of the changes, except the "Greedo shooting first" thing, the Jabba scene added to ANH and the Anakin switching at the end of ROTJ. Those were just dumb.

Greedo missed his chance, and a misfire shouldn't even be in the scene. Jabba looks too much like plastic. Obi-Wan and Yoda didn't get any younger after they died, so Anakin shouldn't either.

The other stuff - Added SFX? Extended scenes? Added scenes? Awesome.

Muz Ashen

31-05-2006 15:24:43

I agree with Kaine... Most of the changes were just cosmetic, and worked well. Re-rendering saber blades? Lovely. Clean up the space battles? hell yeah (now get rid of the brown boxes around the TIES, please).

Making Han more of a wussy by making him shoot later? Weak. Inserting Hayden into the OT? terrible.

I suppose that we can at least be grateful that lucas didn't replace the blasters with oversized walkie talkies. :P

Macron Sadow

31-05-2006 15:53:43

Yeah Hayden being put in ROTJ sucked. It would have been nice if it had been "crispy-fried Vader" instead.

Kaine Mandaala

31-05-2006 17:01:45

I agree with Kaine... Most of the changes were just cosmetic, and worked well.  Re-rendering saber blades? Lovely.  Clean up the space battles? hell yeah (now get rid of the brown boxes around the TIES, please).

The saber sfx still look crappy in ANH. I might have to watch it again, but I seem to recall that Obi-Wan's magical disappearing blade, and Vader's pointy metal stick are still in there. If you don't know what I'm talking about:

"I've been waiting for you Obi-Wan..."
Obi-Wan approaches Vader. You can see down the 'blade' of the stand-in weapon, and the rotoscoped glow disappears for a few frames (long enough to notice).

Kenobi has died. Luke: "Noooo!"
Vader's stepping on Ben's cloak. The doors are closing, and you can see the Dark Lord holding the unrotoscoped saber.

I'll see if I can fire up my DVD later and provide some stills.

I suppose that we can at least be grateful that lucas didn't replace the blasters with oversized walkie talkies.  :P

R O F L M A O ! ! !

Aghasett

01-06-2006 16:31:22

Lucas, come! lol, love that episode.

The Jabba scene in ANH is god-awful. Jabba does look incredibly plasticy and Harrison's dialogue and performance seem off. His eye-line with Jabba doesn't match up and the moment when he steps up and over Jabba'a leg is some really crude cg editing. And there's this weird, mismatched look to the scene, compared to the rest of the film, like it wasn't color-corrected properly. These negatives were probably sitting around for 20 years before they were restored and digitized, and you can kind'a tell. Just looks bad.

I think an ideal ANH version would be a fusion of the two, where the fx improvements, like the sabers, were kept, along with the cg vistas of Mos Eisley and the like, but everything else resorted to the original. Hans shoots first. Period.

Aabsdu

04-06-2006 15:49:33

Heh, yes. I think it's been proven by countless topics on forums like this that have people complaining about how some of the changes were good while others were just stupid

Callus

04-06-2006 16:32:30

Anyone know if the OT is coming back on to the Silver Screen? Like for the 30th aniversary mabye? I'd like to see ANH in the theater one more time as it was ment to be along with the others.

Aabsdu

04-06-2006 17:41:26

The original trilogy in theaters again? I don't know, but there's a chance. Some theaters might show all six episodes in a row like the one by me did with the LotR trilogy. Ten hours straight of hobbits, wizards, gold rings, and limited bathroom breaks

JustiSkywalker

27-08-2006 16:32:21

the ones that people didn't like are they the 90's verisons that were in the theaters. I seen empire strikes back and i only caught 2 scenes that were new to me.

Aabsdu

27-08-2006 19:12:09

Yeah, the only 90s re-release difference was all the digital stuff he added.

JustiSkywalker

27-08-2006 20:33:21

cool and i believe in 90's empire strikes back they showed the monster eat the thing luke was riding.

Kaine Mandaala

27-08-2006 21:19:32

Wampa scenes.
Falcon's approach to Cloud City.
"Windows" added to hallways in Cloud City.
Vader taking a shuttle back to his Star Destroyer from Cloud City.

Just to name a few changeds from the original release.

Kaine Mandaala

14-09-2006 22:02:32

Ok... Changes to the films list is here.

Oh and BTw, this bump is mostly because these came out TUESDAY. Totally flaked on reminding everyone.

Werdna Elbee

15-09-2006 02:53:40

When you read all the changes its possible to decide that the Special Edition versions are better. Crap was cut out, good stuff was added, the picture and effects were improved, etc. I'm not too happy with some of the changes made to help it match up to EpIII but overall they've been improved.

Its sad that people write all of this off just because of the really poorly done Greedo scene.

I'm not wasting my money on the old versions. Its a rip-off .

Kaine Mandaala

15-09-2006 08:17:50

There were very few changes I was unhappy with, but I've stated those above. I think I'll go buy them again 'unaltered' just for the fact that it's how I remember them. Money's not an issue, really. I don't mind spending about $50 for them.

Raken

15-09-2006 11:34:56

I heard a nasty rumor that the video quality of these OT theatrical versions is lacking. Can anyone who has them now comment on that? If they are crappy I won't buy them as I have every other collection, boxed set, etc. on VHS and DVD. But if the quality is high, I might pick them up even though 2 months from now there will probably be another uber boxed set or some damn thing.

Macron Sadow

15-09-2006 13:13:07

I for one am glad to see the uncut ones.

Ood Bnar

15-09-2006 15:57:26

http://www.angryalien.com/1205/starwarsbuns.asp

Kaine Mandaala

15-09-2006 16:26:48

When you read all the changes its possible to decide that the Special Edition versions are better. Crap was cut out, good stuff was added, the picture and effects were improved, etc. I'm not too happy with some of the changes made to help it match up to EpIII but overall they've been improved.

Its sad that people write all of this off just because of the really poorly done Greedo scene.

I'm not wasting my money on the old versions. Its a rip-off .

Make sure you check out these comparisons too. There's a whole series of them going through all the DVDs of Episodes 1-6.

http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/article...s-part-one.html

Aabsdu

16-09-2006 16:24:35

I'm getting ready to go buy the new DVDs now, but it's not because I exactly think the originals were super better. More for the fact that I'd like to see them again the way they were before. It's not because they were "better" but because for some SW fans it's just cool to get to see them in theatrical version again.

I agree, though, that George took out the bad stuff, added the good stuff, and all that. I, personally, could care less rather Han or Greedo shoots first, just as long as someone shoots >:)