Music

Lokasena

31-03-2006 11:54:36

We all know texts, feelings, visual mediums.
But how about music?

What sort of music would you use to relate to the Dark Side.

Is Beethovens' ninth a dark tune?
Or perhaps Confusion (Blade)?

What are your thoughts on this? I'm very currious.

Until next time...

Baron Zarco

31-03-2006 14:03:15

I will think on that but for now, in my opinion, the ultimate Darth Maul song is "Angry Again" by Megadeth from the "Last Action Hero" soundtrack. When I listen to it I can almost see him seething himself into a dervish, a veritable Tasmanian Devil with a plasma accesories.

Kaine Mandaala

31-03-2006 14:03:43

Anything considered popular after 1990. From Vanilla Ice to Brittney Spears :P

Andan Taldrya Marshall

31-03-2006 15:09:38

Just about anything written by Cradle of Filth would be good music for a Darksider. I'm a fan of Tourtured Soul Asylum, From the Cradle to Enslave and Her Ghost in the Fog. There's also a German band called E Nomine that does some good, heavy stuff.

Muz Ashen

31-03-2006 15:45:18

heavy metal always struck me as cheesy and trying too hard.

As far as what i think is 'dark', i tend to think along the lines of some of the heavier industrial stuff. Funker Vogt, skinny puppy, front line assembly, etc.

Of course, i'm not a proponent of the stereotypical tongue dragging frothing evil. While there's something to be said for feral cruelty, an active mind can inflict much more harm, if chained to the right purpose.

Tarax Kor

31-03-2006 16:58:22

Coldplay

Baron Zarco

01-04-2006 13:00:41

I have been thinking about your question as to whether Beethoven's Ninth Symphony is "Dark Side."

The question brings to light (ha ha) the issue of what is "Dark Side" and what is "Light Side." Personal opinions aside, we are left with the Lucas canon of Yoda (who is held out as the archtypical "Light Sider") advocationg detachment. Really wanting something and rearranging one's life to get it is portrayed as "Dark" in EPs 1-3 but, then again, not so in EPs 4-6.

The more I think about it the more I see that the nomentclature is not indicative of anything beyond Lucas' characters spin to sell their particular point of view. This, however, begs your question.

Back to the Ninth - to me the tune has always been about really wanting something and the release of having achieved and/or acquired one's desires. The joy of having exerted oneself and gotten one's way, to me, is the gravamen of the Ninth. To paraphrase Apocalypse Now, it sounds like ... victory.

Perhaps to those preaching detachment that makes the Ninth a "Dark Side" song. I know it is one of my favorites. I also know that when I win or get what I want sometimes others suffer and yet, I proceed anyway. Though I would have never thought the Ninth as "Dark," your question made me wonder but, ultimately, I am what I am and when I have what I love I hear that song!

Andan Taldrya Marshall

01-04-2006 13:50:20

The more I think about it the more I see that the nomentclature is not indicative of anything beyond Lucas' characters spin to sell their particular point of view.  This, however, begs your question.

Not to steal the thread, but if I may quote a prominant Jedi,"Everything is true from a certain point of view." (I think that's the quote...). Also, it can be argued that Luke didn't recieve the same quality of instruction in the more philosophical teachings of the Jedi. What is shown of his training always focuses on the physical and use of the Force.

Anyway, moving back to the topic.

I never really though about the alignment of the song. I tend to avoid deep analysis of songs, poems, stories, etc. because I've found that as I dig deeper I loose sight of the origional work and start putting words in the author's mouth. In searching for deeper meaning in a piece I find myself creating, rather then finding, it. If you have to dig into a piece to find some meaning then that probably means one of two things. Either you missed something in the piece, or there simply is no deeper meaning to it.

Lokasena

02-04-2006 07:20:01

Zarco makes a good point.
So does Crix.

It is difficult to allign music to either light or dark, when you dig to deep.
I agree with Zarco that, If it makes you feel one way or the other, that is what it is.

As for 'point of view'... there is no truth. only oppinion...?

Truth, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Beethove brings out the Dark Side in me (wich is also the more cultured side, strangely enough.)
His music is all passion.
Lest we forget, if old Ludwig would be alive now, he'd be a Rocker...!!! B)

Ood Bnar

02-04-2006 10:02:32

I think, if you're relating Beethoven's music to the dark side then you should hear his 5th symphony. as i recall (correct me when i'm wrong) this symphony shows Beethovens view on the things that went wrong according to him. it was first dedicated to Napoleon, the liberator and bringer of enlightenment but after the siege of Vienna he strikes the dedication and alters the work to show the evil done in that war, the rapes, slaughter, ...

if any of his works had a darkside meaning to it then this would be the one.(this is however only my personal view)

RevengeX

02-04-2006 12:31:55

Beethoven's Quartet, the one dedicated to the Prince von Lokabitz (sp?), Movement 2 is an extremely emotional piece (I'm playing it with my chamber group now). The first parts of it are more of a saddening and dark setting and as it progresses, there is an angry part and then a thoughtful, haunting tune. After that, it's back to anger and then the usual dissonant conclusion that blends all the instruments together.

Lokasena

03-04-2006 04:21:15

I personnaly love his moonlight sonnata.
It's so slow, misterious. His ninth is more like battle music.
As for the Fifth symphony; To me always indicates 'death' knocking on the door.

I can recomend listening to Rossinis' Semiremide...
hearing the creshendo is like loosing your mind, but in a good way.
Rossini is very easy music. Don't get me wrong, it is sometimes darker than the Pits of Angband.
With easy music I mean, You only have to close your eyes and emediatly images flash infront of you.

If you look into Rossinis' life style, he thrived on his passions and emotions.
Food, drink and women. Occasionally writing something, just to pay the bills...!
A real Itallian. ;)

Devani

03-04-2006 05:31:37

Just for a little back info on me: I love music! I couldn't live without music in my life...it is the key to my soul and my heart. However, that doesn't mean I nescessarily know anything more about it then what I have been taught (playing the alto sax) and what makes me respond.

All that being said: I would say Rachmaninov's Prelude in C-sharp Minor speaks to me of the "Dark Side". It has such great emotion, I FEEL with the music. From what I've seen in the films and I could totally be wrong :P a Jedi wasn't supposed to have feelings. (sorry writing this at 2:30 am in the morning isnt working for me :P)

Lokasena

03-04-2006 06:05:37

Light Jedi aren't allowed to have a lot of things.
I feel...!
But not only inward.
As warriors we often slap our shoulders because of our prowess in battle.
But how hollow is the sound of victory, without some-one to share it with?
Honour gives little comfort to a man alone in his heart and in his bed.

Give in to feeling.
Give in to passion.
Give in to the Dark Side...

Sildrin

04-04-2006 05:22:58

As far as what i think is 'dark', i tend to think along the lines of some of the heavier industrial stuff.  Funker Vogt, skinny puppy, front line assembly, etc. 

Of course, i'm not a proponent of the stereotypical tongue dragging frothing evil.  While there's something to be said for feral cruelty, an active mind can inflict much more harm, if chained to the right purpose.

:D
I agree.
How else could it be?

But let's not forget classical music - e.g. in what ways it is used in the Star Wars movies. Especially Palpatine's theme, which is very creepy and literally oozes the Dark Side.

And Lokasena:
=================================================
Light Jedi aren't allowed to have a lot of things.
I feel...!
But not only inward.
As warriors we often slap our shoulders because of our prowess in battle.
But how hollow is the sound of victory, without some-one to share it with?
Honour gives little comfort to a man alone in his heart and in his bed.

...[]
=================================================

Not only to a man.

Sildrin

Lokasena

04-04-2006 05:30:48

I meant no offence Sildrin.
But I can only speak of personal experience. ;)

As for Palpatines' Theme.... very oozy indeed.

Classical music seem to be better suited for bringing across evil intent.
While Rock, metal or trance only portays action scenes.

Strings can be so slow and manipulative. Creepy.... :S

Ood Bnar

04-04-2006 07:42:24

:D
I agree.
How else could it be?

But let's not forget classical music - e.g. in what ways it is used in the Star Wars movies. Especially Palpatine's theme, which is very creepy and literally oozes the Dark Side.

yeah, palpatines theme was wonderfull, but so ae the imperil march and the anakin => vader theme

Lokasena

04-04-2006 07:45:26

when the Emperor arrives on the DeathStar.
The whole orchestra just rolles up in a thunder of the Emerial march.
Beautifull...!!!

Kaine Mandaala

04-04-2006 09:05:15

when the Emperor arrives on the DeathStar.
The whole orchestra just rolles up in a thunder of the Emerial march.
Beautifull...!!!

The Emeril March?
BAM!

When the Emperor arrives on the Death Star II (ROTJ Soundtrack "The Emperor Arrives") with the deep male chorus chanting is probably some of the creepier pieces from the SW series.

I was thinking more in a theme sense rather than being outright obviously evil and came up with other music that seems somewhat in theme with the Dark Side/Imperials:

Holst - Mars, The Bringer of War
John Williams based a lot of the score for the 1st Star Wars film off The Planets by Holst, and this first piece is very much like the opening music when the Star Destroyer is attacking the Tantive IV.

Mussorgsky - Pictures At An Exhibition
Some of the pieces from this suite are very dark. The Gnome, Bidlo & The Catacombs come to mind.

Saint-Saëns - Symphony #3 Mvmnt 2, Carnival Of Animals: Aquarium
They're quiet and can be taken as a little sad.

Greig - Peer Gynt: Death of Ase
Another sad-sounding piece.

Lokasena

05-04-2006 04:03:10

Sorry for the misprint... :$

Yes, evil music is everywhere...!

Muwhahahaha >:)

Ylith Pandemonium

05-04-2006 10:59:49

As far as what i think is 'dark', i tend to think along the lines of some of the heavier industrial stuff.  Funker Vogt, skinny puppy, front line assembly, etc. 

Of course, i'm not a proponent of the stereotypical tongue dragging frothing evil.  While there's something to be said for feral cruelty, an active mind can inflict much more harm, if chained to the right purpose.

Metal rules :D

I like Sonata Arctica, Metallica, Nightwish, Cradle of Filth, Mudvayne. I love it all

but nowadays I spend my time listening Pearl Jam...kinda different but cool though ^^

Scyrone

05-04-2006 22:36:32

I listen to anything that has the words, kill, death, and depression, and dark in it.

Lokasena

07-04-2006 06:15:39

That's a disturbing thought...! :blink:

One should broaden his/her horizons a bit more.

I like all kinds of music.
From K's choice to system of a down, to Berloiz...!

It's all good... B)

Xayun Erinos

07-04-2006 12:09:10

I try to stay away from anything that isn't at least mildly upbeat. Generally I listen to stuff that isn't depressing - can't stand it. Although that kind of contradicts the fact that I've started to listen to Megadeth.

Basically, if it's not too depressing and it rocks, I'll listen to it. Which isn't very Sithy when I think about it, but hey.

Lokasena

08-04-2006 06:32:23

Megadeath... that's alright!!!

Bur does it make you feel Dark? Not dark as in depressed, but dark as in Dark...!!! >:)

Xayun Erinos

08-04-2006 18:40:51

Well, listening to Return to Hangar does make me feel slightly evil. The vocals are very Dark. :lol:

Lokasena

09-04-2006 09:29:38

Well to each his own.

I'm sticking with old Ludwig von...

He's a rocker...!!! B)

Anonymous

14-04-2006 23:11:48

I listen to a lot of MSI when I'm feeling violent, or some classical music (misc. violin cds I own) when I'm feeling malicious.

Lokasena

06-05-2006 11:34:15

m'kay... :S

Krayn

07-05-2006 11:18:45

[Bands]

1. Nirvana
2. Candlebox
3. Bush
4. Metallica
5. Devil Driver

freshjive taldrya

10-05-2006 04:15:02

The number one Dark Side music would have to be anything by Tool. Freakin awesome.

led zeppelin, pink floyd, the beatles on drugs, massive attack, alice cooper, stuff like that. I'd imagine that a dark jedi wouldn't like more of the modern metal stuff aside from Tool because its too pretentious and repeated, the original stuff is the best

Lokasena

11-05-2006 06:05:23

well.
I'm sticking with classical. Nothing gives me a feeling of victory as Tjaykowsky's 18:12 Overture...

Rage

11-05-2006 23:38:10

I cant really choose a really 'dark' song

Krayn

15-05-2006 20:07:15

I think the Brotherhood's theme song should be The Fury of Our Makers Hand by Devil Driver.

Ricco Vao

07-06-2006 15:39:58

I think that Anarchy music is for the dark side it is against everything like Punk, The Clash, Anti-Flag, SLF etc. >:)