Cursus Honorum

RevengeX

18-03-2006 17:07:39

I've noticed that the Dark Brotherhood's positions (Quaestor, Aedile, Consul, etc.) are based off of the Cursus Honorum or Ancient Rome's Political Hierarchy. I was wondering if this would change with Rebirth to get rid of some of the confusion newer members get when looking at House and Clan Rosters.

Baron Zarco

18-03-2006 20:30:30

I will qualify the remark that follows by saying that I have only been in the DB since late November 2005. I sure hope the titles do not change. They may be kind of quaint in a world that orders by the numbers and does not even the have patience to eat food that has bones. Still, I like it, a lot.

Andan Taldrya Marshall

18-03-2006 23:28:23

While I do not have access to all the information about Rebirth, I haven't heard anything about changing the names of those leadership positions. While it may not be instently clear what a Quaestor or Aedile are it's usually cleared up with a simple question.

RevengeX

21-03-2006 15:53:05

Well, if they are not changing, and are indeed based off of the Cursus Honorum, Aedile would be higher than Quaestor.

Andan Taldrya Marshall

21-03-2006 19:03:37

An Aedile isn't higher then a Quaestor, so the names may have been taken from the Cursus Honorum, but it seems rather clear that the status of the positions relative to each other was not.

Kaek

22-03-2006 13:43:59

Crix is right...the Roman titles are completely in the wrong order of seniority....oh well!

Xanos

02-04-2006 13:26:36

Rebirth isn't planning to change them no.

I'd not be against it myself, I don't mind them, but they've never exactly thrilled me either... still, its nothing thats on the table right this moment.

Sith Bloodfyre

07-04-2006 21:33:56

Yes, they are wrong, according to Rome. No, they will not be changing. Yes, it may cause some people confusion. No, this is not Rome. They have been like this for many, many years, and will continue to be like this for many, many years after. And, the things you have mentioned have been mentioned many, many times over the last 10 years or there about. People like them how they are, and by not changing them, we get to be lazy, too.

Oberst

08-04-2006 11:45:54

It was inverted on purpose. More than a few people at the time were on an Imperial Rome kick, and decided to borrow heavily from it (also around the time that Khyron styled himself "Justinian Khyron" and Dev was using "Gaius Dev"). They were borrowed from Rome, without being Rome. Note that Praetors do not go around beating people with an axe wrapped with sticks for violating laws and that Magistrates do not act as judges.

RevengeX

08-04-2006 14:24:33

Okay, thanks for clearing that up.