Freeworlds 1.66

Rade Venquis Ta

27-01-2006 19:45:37

Hiiya folks!

I've got something to show you guys..

well, aside from the obvious fact that Freeworlds 1.66 has been released at: http://www.lancersreactor.com/t/news/comme...gory=Freelancer.

The idea has come across my mind several times... and I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

Here it is:

I propose (if my numbers can be reached) a Freeworlds Guild be started within the DJB. I have a friend in the form of Admin_Zaccar on the Freeworlds 24/7 RP Server, located at: http://freeworldsrp.net and I was going to start a faction of my own with 1.66's release, however it flopped due to lack of membership.

The faction which I was starting (which would be the one that the DJB would use, if we get the members to support) was called NOD. NOD stood for New Order Daemons. The RP behind that group was that it's leader (my character) was a disciple of Emperor Palpatine, and he eventually set off on his own to start his own 'cult' of warriors.

This group would fly (on the game server) Imperial ships, as along the road of their RP, the Emperor granted them ships and the like for their use and training. The shiplist we would use is already approved for NOD's use, however...

There is one thing that I must stress over everything else right now: It is true that I'm in talks with Zaccar about getting my faction restored if I can get the membership to support it, however, I CANNOT garuntee a faction for our sole use until I can talk to him. I don't want to get your hopes up now only to kill them later. I don't see a reason why I wouldn't be granted my faction back, but I just want to let you know I'm in talks with Zacc about it.

The standard requirements for a Guild in the DJB is 10 members, however in my opinion, for this to work and for us to get a faction on the 24/7 RP Server, we would need at least 20 members. I know that seems like a lot, but I know that there are people in the DJB who would really enjoy Freeworlds.

You ask what is Freeworlds? Well, Freeworlds is a Star Wars Total Conversion mod for the flight simulator game Freelancer (made by Microsoft). The newest release, 1.66, converts EVERYTHING to Star Wars. You can read specifically about the new mod at the link previously mentioned.

It may end up as a chore to those who really want to play, or may be interested, but cannot participate because you don't have a base installation of Freelancer on your computer. I am aware of this, and for all who are interested, please simply reply with your situation and I'll see what I am able to come up with.

Freeworlds is a very fun (well.. in my opinion) flight simulator game. It does not use a joystick, but it rather uses the mouse. The game is really fun to play, and I really hope we can get this going.

Again, the following are hyperlinks that you may be interested in:

24/7 RP Freeworlds Server: http://freeworldsrp.net
Freeworlds 1.66 Mod http://www.lancersreactor.com/t/news/comme...gory=Freelancer

Please also note that there are several hotfix patches that are being released by the developers (they've found several bugs, and are in the process of fixing them), so you'll need to keep up with that information on the Freeworlds server, or I'll have such information available here, as well.

Please reply to this thread stating your potential interest in this idea for a Guild, as I think it can be a LOT of fun.

Disclaimer: Yes, the EHers do play on the RP server, however, they do so in no official capacity. They do so under the IN tag; the IN faction has EHers and many non-EHers as well. I look to have no ill will towards them on the server, of any kind, nor to engage in any hostile attempts against them. What's done is in the past, and we should, in my opinion, play to have fun. ;)

Thanks, everyone!

:D

Kaek

27-01-2006 19:52:53

I played Freeworlds in the past but due to my severe lack of time (high amount of work), I wouldn't be interested in joining you. However, I do recommend that others take a look at this. If you can get a Guild running and get people who want to play and who want to stay active, I think that'd be great.

Shirai

27-01-2006 20:18:43

i agree. Once i download it and explore the freeworld i hope to join your guild

Morgan

27-01-2006 20:26:15

FW is a great mod, for those who know, well its better then before, more organised. On ye Old Server it started to lose RP, and i have to say the RP is enforced a hell of alot more these days, plus with the new mod, its revived it a great deal, with new shpis and systems, all is cool, hehe :)

Those who havnt, PLAY IT! You need Freelancer, but you can get it cheap of some site or something, good RP on the server and forums, plus the TE's are awesome, for Territorial Engagments the server is usually full, and ya know thier pretty awesome, this coming from some one whos been too a few.

Although, if we could i'd rather a [DJB] tag cos like, it wouldnt seem like part of the DJB if we flew under some other tag :-P

P.S

KaeK you ex-PF Traitor! :@ ;)

Lan

27-01-2006 20:56:44

I think this is a very good idea with a lot of potential, but unfortunately I won't have much time to play.

Freelancer is a great game itself and very easy to get, and Freeworlds is beautiful. There's nothing like gathering a few of your friends and stalking the common trade routes for enemy ships, or doing some smuggling into enemy territory hehe. It's very, very fun.

I agree with Morg, I believe the tag should be "DJB" or at least have "DJB" on it.

Revenant

27-01-2006 21:02:30

I'd definately be interested, but I don't have freelancer. It sounds great though. I've seen some stuff about freelancer, and a star wars TC would be great. plus, i really wanna get into the flying games, but don't have a joystick. if i ever track down freelancer i'll be up for this guild for sure...

Morgan

27-01-2006 21:04:51

It doesnt support joysticks :-P

Just mice :-P

Tarax Kor

27-01-2006 21:07:57

Kaek, Kosk, Lan, Morg, Halc, and myself = teh pwnt at FW.

Ahhh.. the good ol' days of the Privateer Fleet. :D

Problem is... the servers require quite a lot of dedication to THER version of RP. And their RP is pretty well established and for lack of a better term, etched in stone. They already have Jedi/Sith groups, and Imperial ones. Justifying the formation of a new faction is doable (while tedious), but that faction will have to have a very high level of activity and it will have to work within the server's limits/structure.

However, there is some free space in which the faction can move on its own, and not have to go along with the server rules. If that is exploited to its maximum, and there is always a high level of activity, the fun that is to be had pays for itself a thousandfold ;).

But all the while, it requires a steady amount of strong dedication and activity in order to work. Anything half-assed = falls apart. Anything half-planned/structured = falls apart.

But I say again: if there is always a high level of activity, the fun that is to be had pays for itself a thousandfold, maybe even more.

My opinion? We go for it.

Duga Taldrya Arkarso

27-01-2006 21:08:11

I've never actually got into Freeworlds, but have seen others love it. If you can get enough DB members into it, that would be cool to start a new guild.

Rade Venquis Ta

28-01-2006 06:45:22

I will look into having the tag altered to be 'DJB' or the like.. however I'm not sure if I can get that to work, but i'll try.

I'd also like to ask if we're interested in having the faction (assuming we get it, and all that) be exclusive to us - meaning I don't accept any new recruits to it once it would be up and running?

My thought on that is that I'd like to have the option to accept new members (they would be non DJB members) because I know several people who are expert pilots on freeworlds that may help me out in training you guys and i might get them to join. Also there are a lot of CIVs on the server that could sign up to join if they'd be allowed...

:)

Karel

28-01-2006 07:09:56

I am in, if I can get it to work you can count on me :D

Morgan

28-01-2006 07:58:57

You need a Hotfix as well as the Mod itself, i have it if anyone wants it :-P

Raidoner

28-01-2006 08:10:15

If I can help in any way all you need to do is just ask.

Anonymous

28-01-2006 09:01:33

I will join.

JamesRevan

28-01-2006 12:00:38

Unfortunately i am going to be severely limited time wise over the next couple months as i work on getting my business going. It sounds like a really good idea, and i hope you are able to get it implemented.

Tarax Kor

28-01-2006 12:31:32

I'd also like to ask if we're interested in having the faction (assuming we get it, and all that) be exclusive to us - meaning I don't accept any new recruits to it once it would be up and running?

it'd be best if we can get our own faction running. Now, whether it'll be a Jedi faction that'll be hard to decide because as I said the server already has the Jedi, Sith, and Krath. They don't need another Force-oriented faction. (I know the admins, they'd be hesitant to allow it)

As for recruiting... well.. we could always open up for recruitment, as long as those who join join the whole club, and not just for FW. It'd be easier to control them that way in my opinion, because they'd have to follow our structure and way of doing things with a lesser chance of whining and whatnot.

And unless I'm mistaken, those who propose a new faction are most often the ones who end up leading it. So we'd have to get someone of rank/status from our club, or someone chosen by others, to lead this de-facto new guild. They'd also have to be learnt in the ways of the server and game :P

Venquis:

I led the Privateer Fleet faction in 1.65 (I took the reigns over from our previous leader, since we started off in 1.64). I can help you with organizing the details needed to establish a new faction on the server. If you need any help whatsoever, just tell me, I'd be glad to help. Tartan and ZaccaR HOPEFULLY have good memories of me. :P

Morgan

28-01-2006 16:11:56

"We" not "I", Nite :-P (Although i stayed out of the Politics :D)

My tidbit of advice is, dont go for any particular side, a DJB tag would prolly get mobbed by Sith and Krath, possibly Empire(Not to mention Jedis :P), siding with the Empire in any way would get you mobbed by every single one of the Empire's enemies, same if it was an NR faction. :P

As i remeber, with the PF we got mobbed by the Organised Crime/Crime Houses faction :-P

Another thing is, the politics are awful with it, if you're the faction leader, you always have to be active, and you have too be really careful who you wage war on, because of some people (Tarax :P) I got chased around for hours because some people (Tarax :P) were owing nasty factions money :P That was an example :P

It all adds too the atmosphere though, most players dont need to worry about the political side unless thier leader has done a baddie, but all in the name of fun and making in game money :P

Tarax Kor

28-01-2006 19:40:41

"We" not "I", Nite :-P (Although i stayed out of the Politics :D)

And I was the Force Marshall :P. Officially, I was the leader. Unofficially, yeah; it was both of us that ran things :P

Anonymous

29-01-2006 03:02:22

And unless I'm mistaken, those who propose a new faction are most often the ones who end up leading it. So we'd have to get someone of rank/status from our club, or someone chosen by others, to lead this de-facto new guild. They'd also have to be learnt in the ways of the server and game :P

Theres no reason a n00b can't lead a guild, its a very good way to prove ones self, by successfully leading. If he can make it work, more power to him.

Tarax Kor

29-01-2006 03:17:53

Yeah I actually realized that after I wrote that part.. but I was too lazy to change it. :P

Frosty

29-01-2006 10:24:53

I just dowloaded the base game and now I'm trying to download the mod...I do hope this game won't be as difficult to play as Allegiance (never got the game to play online).

Tarax Kor

29-01-2006 12:24:34

It's fairly easy to connect to and to get into the game. However, the server has a lot of rules that need to be read over and adhered to. And for the first couple of days it's hard to learn your way around it and some of the controls. But after that, it becomes quite easy. ;)

Rade Venquis Ta

30-01-2006 06:59:08

Alrighty..

I've spoken with Admin Zaccar and Admin OMG! on MSN...

There are a few things we should be aware of -

1) Zaccar is VERY hesistant to allow the DJB on the server because of past events. He mentioned something about the DJB trying to overrun the server or whatnot. He and I are friends and I have been able to get him past that idea that it might happen again, and to give the chance to us. However, that does not mean we have the faction. It means we're closer to it - he is busy trying to finally fix the 1.66 mod and it's hating of the RP server, so when he's done with that, he and I will talk more.

2) Because of Zacc's story that the DJB tried to take over once or something, he will not allow a DJB tag. He is (as of this moment, at least until he and I talk again later) supportive of the first NOD tag that I had before. I understand your suggestions for a DJB tag and that would be cool, however Zaccar does not want us having one (EH and TFA were also denied their own tag) and I fully respect his decision and his right to make it.

3) Zaccar was partially convinced that in no way can I 'control the DJB' (as his words..). I don't know what DJB he's talking about, but the one I've been apart of for some time hasn't had a problem with that. In essence, if this guild gets started, and a faction of Freeworlds is granted to be used, we must abide to our best, the rules of the RP server. Therefore, it is my biggest request that in following those rules, those who decide to join (and we want you all :D) will do what I ask them in NOD. I would really love to prove Zacc wrong - I know we can, but I need you guys to trust that it can happen. :)

Please be aware that in the next few days I will be starting an official list of all those interested in this Guild. Please reply there, when that post is up. Also feel free to send me any suggestions for this that you like (blazermortis@gmail.com) and i'll gladly read them. It's not like I'm more perfect than anyone else here. :lol:

Lastly, I'd like to make sure it is well known, that in no way is this faction garunteed to be given. It is in good hands with Admins Zaccar and OMG!, and I'll work with them to get it worked out.

So don't take this as 'for sure going to happen' take it as 'i'm looking for all interested so I can present a list to the Admins' and the like. ;)

Thanks, all.

Ylith Pandemonium

04-02-2006 07:33:34

do I just need the MOD to play? or do I need a game or something? I'm confused ^^'