How come Vader couldn't do that?

Akhara_Kiddo

22-01-2006 13:47:31

How come Sidious didn't teach Vader how to use the rays, lightings or whatever out of his hands??

Plagueis taught him, and he was so damn selfish he didn't teach Vader? or how's the thing?

Revenant

22-01-2006 14:16:20

Vader had robotic hands. Can you imagine what it would do to them if he tried to pour thousands of volts of electricity through them? that, and the fact that the Force is created by life, and robotics are dead, his hands simply wouldn't be able to do it...

Akhara_Kiddo

22-01-2006 16:48:32

Right... I guess I never thought about that.. thanks man!

Tarax Kor

22-01-2006 17:01:00

Vader had robotic hands.  Can you imagine what it would do to them if he tried to pour thousands of volts of electricity through them?  that, and the fact that the Force is created by life, and robotics are dead, his hands simply wouldn't be able to do it...

I half-agree with this.

First, yeah. Thousands of volts through his robotic body = not a good idea. Especially since that robotic suit is one giant breathing apparatus.You saw what happened when the lightning DID go through him - he got fried.

As to the Second part... that's not really that well established, so I wouldn't be making that assumption. Remember, He was able to use his telekenisis/Force Throw/Push against Luke. Also, he was able to Force Absorb Han's shots and Force Pull his blaster away on bespin. Same with Luke - He has a robotic hand, but he can still channel the Force through it. I'd go as far as saying that it's like the lightsabre. Sure it's a piece of machinery, but it doesn't work well, or comply with the Jedi, unless the Jedi lets thr Force flow through it, thus making it alive.

Plain and simple answer - Palpatine wanted to control Vader. Vader was still a Dark Lord of the Sith, but he was always Palpatine's puppet. Why teach your puppet something he could use against you?

Aghasett

22-01-2006 18:36:18

I seriously doubt that Vader's usage of force lightning would be inhibited by his suit, which is undoubtedly made of alloys and polymers and whatnot that could handle the charge as well as if not better than flesh. It's either because Palaptine did not teach it to him -- though he did teach it to Darth Tyrannus -- or because Vader was in fact able to use force lighting, but we just never got the chance to see it. Aside from the duels with Luke and Obi-Wan, we never really saw Vader do battle.

Though I have a feeling Lucas would answer the question something along the lines of: Force Lighting is the ultimate expression of the dark side and one must be fully surrendered to the darkness to use it. As Vader always had a remnant of good in him -- being Anakin -- he never fully exploited the dark side of the force, despite being so powerful.

Revenant

22-01-2006 21:40:57

Yeah, that sounds like the sort of crap that Lucas would spout. When he's talking about the movies he strikes me as somewhat pretentious...

Muz Ashen

22-01-2006 22:43:07

In the clone war comics, Anakin does use force lightning, to toast up Asajj.

So, it's the suit.

Halcyon

22-01-2006 23:29:36

And if anyone has read the book "Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader" then you'll know there is a small part in there were Palpatine basically tells him he can't use Force Lightning because of the suit. It also goes to reason why Vader was so hurt from Palpatine's force blasts in RotJ, while Luke managed to survive a lot more punishment

raven8

23-01-2006 12:20:42

not enough time, and like in kotor you cant use lighting while wearing armor you would electrocute yourself

Vladeck

27-01-2006 20:07:54

yeah but im sure that probably Vader knows how to do that but he dont need to use that kind of knowlege

Shadow

09-02-2006 06:13:56

this an intesting question because the storys films and games seem to contradict each other, but personaly i believe the suit reason.