BF2: PSP Initial Impressions

Timbal

01-11-2005 15:52:10

Yo!

Just finished picking up BF2 for the Sony PSP. Got a chance to mess around with the game for a few minutes before my lunch break was over.

I chose an instant action mission. I selected Hoth, and selected the Imps (Naturally). The set up screen was a bit confusing, but got through it easily enough.

Then the match started. Compared to BF1 on the PS2, it was pretty darn close, from what I saw. The Hoth map was pretty much intact, with somewhat more detail, especially inside Echo Base. The tunnels aren't smooth anymore, with plenty of little spaces where a trooper can barely take enough cover and snipe from, making it harder for invading troops to take over the base.

It did seem a bit easy, though. In the first 2-3 minutes, I was expecting I managed to capture two spawn points all by myself, one including the hangar deck with the snowspeeders ready and waiting. I didn't see a single enemy trooper in the whole thing. When I jacked a snowspeeder after claiming the hangar for myself, I flew around for a bit, and only saw a few enemy troops here and there. Where was the enemy?

After foolishly crashing my speeder into the ground (Heh), I respawned as a sniper. The default controls are a bit difficult, I found it kind of hard to zoom while taking incoming fire, but I suppose after I play for a bit I'll get used to it. As it was it was pretty decent. More on that in a later review. A bit jarring, when I jumped into an AT-ST, the controls are the same as for a trooper, which is good news for newbies to the game (Less of a learning curve), but was difficult for me to get used to, leading to a tower killing me with accurate fire.

Finally I respawned as Vader (I "unlocked" him when I took over the hangar), and had a grand old time killing a gunnery tower with my sabre. Watching him walk was pretty comical, as he has this swagger, but otherwise moved like the other troopers. I made the silly mistake of walking in front of a gunnery tower while trying to chase down some enemy troops (Trying to deflect blaster bolts with the sabre to see if can be done), and the gunnery tower got me through sheer bombardment.

Much fun. :P

That's about it, I then had to log in and get back to work. And type this up. :P

More to come!

CSP correspondent in the field.... Timbal... :D