Hurricane Relief

Arsolimese

02-09-2005 16:24:22

Hey everyone, this is probably an odd topic but I was just sitting here thinking about if the Dark Jedi Brotherhood could assist monetarily to the people of New Orleans and surrounding areas.

I have traveled to NO myself before and it was a great city. I was wondering if anyone in the Dark Council was interested in organizing some sort of relief donation from the Brotherhood?

Ethen

02-09-2005 17:43:21

This is gonna sound bad, but I am not gonna donate money because some people "assumed" the levy's would stay in tact. I donated to the Indian Tsunami thing, that I felt bad for, this I don't. This was plain stupidity in my eyes. Sorry.

Ark Dowell

02-09-2005 18:25:26

Yes, I too felt this was kinda stupid. There were tons and tons of warnings. However, I will still be donating at my church...

EDIT- At least I can do my part to help New Orleans rebuild...

Dessan

02-09-2005 19:49:53

Truely they have all they need on the way. However they need to stop SHOOTING at the Heliocopters and my family has already donated $60,000, I'll add the DB's name on it :P lol

Edit- dont get me wrong, I love the idea its just not something that can really be done though the dark brotherhood, there are many members here that have a decent amount of money and I know many have already donated in some way to the relief but yes this was a mechincal error not just nature, new orleans is siting on a marsh if the water rolls down guess where it lands?
They also have all the help they need but they need to stop fighting the people that are atempting to help them.

Timbal

02-09-2005 20:35:57

I personally have donated money to the Red Cross when I first heard of the terrible conditions there. Living in Central Florida myself, I can very much appreciate what they are going through. Last year wasn't fun for us here.

In a way, though, I agree that this would have been a much lesser crisis if people would have just listened to the mandatory evac order. Now things are pretty damn bad out there, and some of them brought it on themselves. Still, it really wouldn't be this bad (Looting and such, I mean) if the National Guard (Or even regular Army) had moved in ASAP in numbers to check this from happening to begin with.

There is plenty of blame to go around, but I'm not going to get all drawn into that. ;)

In any case, I think the best thing to do would be for everyone to donate to their charity of their choice that would use those proceeds to help out these human beings, many of them children. It'll get there faster to do the best good than us pooling our money together and then donating as a group.

My two cents. :)

Telona

02-09-2005 21:02:27

I'm currently doing what I can to help out. I do think they need help. I do think they were stupid to not heed the warnings but that's in the past. People are stupid for living next to the rivers and on open plains plagued by tornados or in areas where earthquakes kick up massive waves. It's human nature to defy mother nature.

The best thing we can all do is donate to the Red Cross or various legit organizations. To be cold hearted is the wrong choice but that's coming from someone who lives in the MidWest and has been sending workers/aid/money constantly since the hurricane hit along with housing survivors.

Ood Bnar

03-09-2005 13:30:59

i have compassion for the people of New Orleans. i know kids that lost their parents in India last year. i hope that Amerika will sign the Kyoto Agreement after this! to prevent this from happening again.

armus

30-09-2005 21:44:34

First of all, I know this topic is a bit old, but certain things have to be said:

One: Most of the people who could leave, did. I should know, because myself and my gf (Darkfire, for those of you who know her) evacuated in the teeth of Katrina. Cars bumper to bumper across six lanes of traffic all heading out. It wasn't until a good way into Mississippi that the traffic cleared up a bit. The grand majority of people who couldn't leave were too poor to be able to leave. Didn't have a car, didn't have money, didn't have any number of things. They were stuck. And to say that those people that suffered for a week in a destroyed city were "stupid for staying" is a god-damned travesty.

Two: Go ahead, blame the mayor. It's not like he's got the cash revenue to single handedly rebuild a levee system that every major analyst has gone on the record to say that it's totally inadequate for a major hurricane. Hell, the city had minor flooding from being brushed with a tropical depression passing through. He got on the TV and radio, begged, pled, and yelled for people to leave. The local authorities did their best in an extremely crappy situation. Blame our Glorious President and his far-sighted policy of blasting the [Expletive Deleted] out of sixth rate Middle Eastern Despots because he's got an itchy trigger finger.

Long story short is, that blaming the poor bastards who were stuck at the Superdome isn't and wasn't going to solve anything. Personally, I think we should make sure that Bush and company and their ilk are thrown so far out of our Capitol that they land in the damn Alps. (Sorry to any Swiss people, just stab them with the knives)

Ok. I'm done.

Armus

Anonymous

30-09-2005 22:04:15

I'd like to add some things to what Armus said.

It was precisely because the officials were so emphatic on the television and radio, that we did evacuate. When the mayor called a mandatory evacuation of a city with a million people - a step that has never been taken in the history of New Orleans - I knew it was serious enough to leave. These hurricanes are no joke to New Orleans residents, and every person who went through Betsy or Camille still remembers them vividly. A resident of my apartment building, who had been a stranger until five minutes previously, offered us her credit card in case we needed money to evacuate. My phone was ringing off the hook with people checking up on me. Families and friends pulled together to look after each other and help each other evacuate. Pity even more, then, those who either a. couldn't leave, or b. didn't leave for a terrifying storm in order to stay with an aging or ailing relative, friend, or neighbour.

The traffic was horrible, leaving the city. My sister didn't evacuate for that precise reason, and she's lost her car, her job, her home, and possibly two of her cats. Those that were on the road, us included, were there for many hours of bumper-to-bumper madness. The air of fear was heavy and palpable. The point is - people were neither stupid nor ignorant. Those who stayed knew exactly what they were in for, and I can't imagine the terror that they must have felt. I was scared enough on the road, pondering what might happen to us if traffic didn't move faster, if we were still on the road when the storm moved in.

Second, we all knew that the levees were bunk and that the city was inadequately prepared. Officials were all about New Orleans when it involved getting cheap river shipping, attending Mardi Gras, or holding conventions, but far more tight-fisted when it came to reinforcing the bounds. The city paper ran a five-day series about the lack of preparedness, in 2002, called "Washing Away," detailing *exactly* what would happen if the levees had to withstand The Big One. You can read it here: http://www.nola.com/hurricane/?/washingaway/

And residents didn't choose to live in New Orleans because they were stupid or unknowing. They chose their city for the same reason that Californians put up with earthquakes, Midwesterners endure tornadoes, and people from New Jersey ignore the boredom and wretched accents: because it's home. And there are thousands of us now whose home is *gone*. Think about that, if you will - waking up tomorrow morning and realising that the place you grew up, the place you knew and took comfort in, where all of your friends are, where you know all of the hangouts, back roads, and local events - just washed away.

A final thought: I'm not saying those who shot at helicopters were right, but I think all of us would be shocked by our capabilities in a situation like that. What would you do to get your sick mother or dying child on a helicopter out? Who would you be willing to push, shove, hit, or even shoot to make sure that you and your own got out of a hellhole like that? Hell, we're Dark Jedi. We all know the shadow's there.

Arso, thank you for the thought in wanting to donate to the victims. I think there is enough help out there that DBers can choose to donate on their own without a club-wide effort, but still - a good thought nonetheless.

-Risua Cantor
aka Darkfire/Jiade'Xin
former New Orleanian...

Timbal

30-09-2005 23:26:06

Well, I for one thank Armus and Darkfire for their candor and for sharing their experiences. There is no arguing direct observation. A large part of this whole disaster was lack of communications, and the fractured way we all were informed. Sad, really, considering we have one of the most advanced communications network in the world.

In any case, I'm glad you guys made it out ok. I'm sure that all of us are grateful for all those that survived and mourn the loss of the ones that didn't.

Kaine Mandaala

01-10-2005 17:07:50

People - Let's not make this a political witch hunt.

That violates a direct rule of the DJB.

Ood Bnar

01-10-2005 17:09:45

me agrees with Kaine