Changes to the SA JA Server

Aidan Kincaid

25-08-2005 19:07:12

Just how many people are actually enjoying these new changes that some people seem to be making with the SA server? I'm really curious to see if it's just these few admins who want to randomly change crap that has been working forever or if the people who use the server daily want these changes.

Thoughts, opinions?

Anonymous

25-08-2005 19:18:10

I think the admins are making random changes. The SA server has been working just fine for that last while. Matter of fact, I liked its simplicity way more than Lus' server.

But with this new map, hell its fricking missing textures, I just dunno anymore.

Cyris

Duga Taldrya Arkarso

25-08-2005 19:45:43

Thoughts on the SA server are something. First off let me say Lus Server is unpure and very unbalanced with the JA+ mod and damage being different than the normal for a JA server. That leaves me to only play on SA. And don't tell me they aren't differences because I can tell, I've played both and others will tell you the same.

The SA server has been up and down more recently, people have connection problems and the such. Now we have a new map that is supposesdly the new "offical" DB map, which is pure crap. Yes crap is correct. First off any server should have the defualt map a map that comes with the game. That reason alone is a big one. Second, this map is huge. We can't all teleport around the thing like the lovely Server Admins can. There isn't a need for such a big map for duels and all. Next, there should be guns scattered thoughout ANY FFA map so people can play with guns if they want. We don't all stick to sabers when we play.

Above all that is this map is way too setup for the Server admins. Using the mod that Server Admins use to teleport they can go to this hidden room in the map that no normal player can and from there open or close different sections of this large map. That right there is reason enough for this map NOT to be our "offical" map nor should it be a regular map on the servers of the Dark Brotherhood. There is no reason to have a map that Admins can teleport to hidden areas and also control the opening and sealing of parts of the map from. This is open to all kinds of cheating as well such as people hiding in this area or other areas closed to normal players and people not being able to play all of the map such as playing with guns as that part is currently closed. This is just too much really.

I heard that some are trying to get a new DB mod as well that will include all kinds of new moves and such like "spinning" and other crappy things(reminds me of JA+).

I strongly disagree with us even having the map used PERIOD with the many reasons above. Also if for some crazy reason it stands, it better not be used for the Ob RoS or any other major event because the RoC state only standard maps and settings can be used for Vendetta type events.

Dessan

25-08-2005 20:27:39

OK first off the map is not madotory, we're trying it out, and there will be mulitpul servers soon and they will not ALL have the map, nor is this map going to be running wile server admins are not present at this time. No one FORCES you to get the map, but for tonight we decied to try it, and there is always luc's server. this map was designed by a friend of mine with all the needs of ours and his group in mind, this map is to fit our needs such as no longer waiting for a place to duel, there are TONS of places here, the training rooms are designed for just training, and with the methods we will be useing to train people in mind.

and as a side note it is not missing any textures I dont know whats up with your computer cy.

Rade Venquis Ta

25-08-2005 20:39:47

i kind'a agree with Duga, but also with dessan..

i think it's good that it's a 'trial' map for seeing if it can be used.

also i agree that it shouldn't be used unless those who are using the server want to use it.. it may work for RPing but dueling... eh..

people should be able to use it when they want, but not necessarily the 'base' map if it becomes that, in my opinion.

then again i just strained my groin muscle along with got my legs hurting bad... from phys ed class...

hurting.

that and i've chosen to relieve myself of presence in an official capacity of the brotherhood.

people are catching up to me, and I cannot have that. I need time away to train and get my funk back... that and i'm just having a horrible day so you'll see me on IRC and maybe on JA occasionally. otherwise...

c'ya around.

Aidan Kincaid

25-08-2005 20:55:30

The textures thing has been said by a number of people. Anyways, by putting it on as the default map of the server it does force people to use it. If you want to trial run something during a gaming night isn't a great time.

As for multiple servers I know of only Lus and the SA. And, until Lus's server becomes Pure and not tainted with the random mods and crap that are on it it too cannot be used in any official capacity (read: Vendetta)

Dessan

25-08-2005 21:00:30

ahh but you do not know of our soon to be dedicated server aquirement that will allow us to run as many servers as we want when we want on what we want. so its possible for 10 servers even

Spears

25-08-2005 21:07:06

The map stays but it will not be in the base circulation of maps. It will mainly be used for training and when and Admin is present so we can teleport people to the training areas. The map is great for training ect, but is bad for friendly duels of only a few people due to its size. It won't be used for friendly dueling so no worries.

On a side note we are considering increasing the available servers. But more on that later.

MERLANCE

25-08-2005 21:49:05

I think we should at least have the official Raven bonus maps... I mean, its official and stuff :)

Dessan

25-08-2005 22:02:12

*slaps merlance* :P maybe :P I MIGHT get it

smoke20

26-08-2005 00:25:43

the only change i see, is the force regeneration its a bit slow, and makes it diffcult for multiple moves....even if that doesnt chnage the SA is still good to play on, and a big thanks goes to Spears for funding this...

Dessan

26-08-2005 01:10:34

none of the variables have been changed and you missed our map fun that started this heh

Dessan

26-08-2005 02:07:39

Ok I'm going to go though this step by step just to awnser this attack which I feel is directed at me consdering thats the name I hear on the DB news heh.

Thoughts on the SA server are something. First off let me say Lus Server is unpure and very unbalanced with the JA+ mod and damage being different than the normal for a JA server. That leaves me to only play on SA. And don't tell me they aren't differences because I can tell, I've played both and others will tell you the same.

Yes the two servers are diffent but I dont hear people yelling at Lus about his server yet. And I aggree JA+ mod sucks on ANY server and as soon as I have time I will disscuss other options with spears.

The SA server has been up and down more recently, people have connection problems and the such. Now we have a new map that is supposesdly the new "offical" DB map, which is pure crap. Yes crap is correct. First off any server should have the defualt map a map that comes with the game. That reason alone is a big one.

The server up and down has nothing to do with me, this is due to server restarts by spears for changeing server bans, and the server has NEVER been down for more than 3 min at any time. The map is offical and approved by the OHC maybe no one would have moaned if I had, had korr post it on the news like he offered. And if you look at over half the servers out there today they are all on custom maps, plus there is a map in the works that I have no part of that spears will be running when its done anyway.

Second, this map is huge. We can't all teleport around the thing like the lovely Server Admins can. There isn't a need for such a big map for duels and all. Next, there should be guns scattered thoughout ANY FFA map so people can play with guns if they want. We don't all stick to sabers when we play.

This map is big correct. But the only spawn points in the map are in the main court yard which is one room away from all the dueling rooms, and the FFA fort, so at any time you are no more then 10 seconds away from where you will most likely want to be with out teleporting. And this map was DESIGNED for duels, it has 3 dueling mats plus many other open places to duel, this map was made in mind for the tournaments with alot of people at once, as I'm sure you've all waited to use the main dueling area on ff3 or ff1, this is no more you now have a place to duel no matter what. And if you looked hard enough duga you would have seen the fort that is a HUGE OPEN ffa area that contains guns all over the place and it is designed for that reason.

Above all that is this map is way too setup for the Server admins. Using the mod that Server Admins use to teleport they can go to this hidden room in the map that no normal player can and from there open or close different sections of this large map. That right there is reason enough for this map NOT to be our "offical" map nor should it be a regular map on the servers of the Dark Brotherhood. There is no reason to have a map that Admins can teleport to hidden areas and also control the opening and sealing of parts of the map from. This is open to all kinds of cheating as well such as people hiding in this area or other areas closed to normal players and people not being able to play all of the map such as playing with guns as that part is currently closed. This is just too much really.

Ok here is the explnation for the admin area, first off the admin area is little more than a room with controls, in witch the controls are opening and closes three seals, one is for the NPC spwaning room, one is for the grave site (which is the part that was closed today and it is a place that is a monument to a member of a JA training group who died in 2003 from a car crash. We kept it closed to keep the DB members from disrespecting it because we have respect for our friends.) and the last that can close is the Fort wich is the FFA guns arena that was open today, the only other controls in there are for the music of the map and there is one dueling mat which is used for master student one on one training. Duga please look close and ask questions before assumeing things, I would have gladly opened the rooms and shown you it all if you had asked, as I would to anyone.

P.S. The abblity to lock the rooms is needed when it comes to training time so we can keep the students focused on one task.

I heard that some are trying to get a new DB mod as well that will include all kinds of new moves and such like "spinning" and other crappy things(reminds me of JA+).

This is further down the road and I am codeing it my self, and NO it will not have ANY of the special JA+ moves, I happen to aggree that JA+ is a POS and I am custom codeing this as a alturnitive to JA+ for us to allow us the server admin options we need with out the extra crap JA+ adds to it. Again Duga, I ask you to please come and ask questions before attacking people, I would have gladly explained this to you as well and the ideas for the mod will be open to everyone.

This map was never said to be the 24/7 map of the server nor will it be, I keep in mind the sanity of our dialup users as I used to be one of them, for now this server will only be used wile admins are present and it will be changed if a dialup user is really interested in a match at that time and does not feel like retriveing the file, but as it was used today I consider it a sucess, and I belive most people were very happy about it and enjoyed it. Give it time and you will get used to it.

In the future we will be geting a dedicated server where we will be able to run as many servers as we wish so we can have 10 JA servers if we wanted and at that time there will be one with this map and one with out it at least and that will let people use witch ever they choose.

Also this map is implemented as a training map, this map was designed to be used in training as well, there is a combo training room and the NPC pratice room, as well as the pit witch allows us to teach balance and timeing of moves. This will all become more clear when we reach time for the LIVE academy.

Again I would like to make it clear this was approved by the OHC and we ran it as a test today and though some of you attacked it immeditly others gave it a chance and enjoyed it, and I consider it a sucess.

So I ask you all to give it a chance and ask questions before attacking me or the map unneededly, I am always open to questions but if you come attacking me first I'm likely to not respond to well. Just ask me nicely or email me and I will awnser all of your questions the best I can. This was done to help the members and I belive it does, but attacking people that do all they can to promote the brotherhood and keep it running is a poor way to help, just something to keep in mind.

Thank you all for listening,

Dessan

Tulkar

26-08-2005 11:52:47

I would enjoy for the JA+ mod to be on the DJB server. It provides for more customization, and more exciting gameplay.

Anonymous

26-08-2005 13:21:34

I for one will not play on a custom modded server. I suggested JA+ ONLY for its BASE admin utilites, and SPears used it nicely on the SA server (by not allowing all the extra crap)

I've been in the modding scene for years now, and I know that NO user mod, no matter how great it is, is ever fully balanced, and frankly, additional moves are annoying and useless. Much less if you mean to use the Dragon animator to make some skimpy animations and the likes of it.

If you DO run multiple servers, you should then at least run one like the SA server is running now, and one totally pure server. That would be the best for people who don't care to play with all the annoying modding crap. I personally couldn't care less for moves and grappling hooks like they have in JA+. That makes me want to puke.

smoke20

27-08-2005 12:27:56

After downloading the new SA map, and poking around in it on the Shadow Academy server, I have a few words to say about it

Bar none, the map rocks, the extra rooms, with different arena's are cool as hell, this is good for trainning, but the only downfall to the map is its HUGE!!!

this map would be good for a TFFA, or CTF...if its capable of it.

So dont knock this map until you try it, the respawning points will make it bad, but if your quick to figure out where your at, then it should be no problem.

It gives a fresh new prespective to the SA server from the old hum drum same old maps. Give it a try, you wont be dissappointed, but as for not seeing some pixles? I couldnt tell any were gone or missing, Yes it would make a single one on one match different...but its more openly spaced.

Glad we are adding somethign new here and there.....Custom maps are good, and well if you dont like them, then dont use them.

Kaine Mandaala

27-08-2005 13:08:11

Dare I ask - where's this map?

Dessan

27-08-2005 14:04:41

you should read the news more kaine :) Heres a link

RevengeX

27-08-2005 19:58:34

Could it be possible to change the map occasionally to a regular one so that us people who can't download it because our computer is screwy can play?

Dessan

27-08-2005 22:30:36

we do that :P and you need to talk to me on IRC about why your computer cant, I bet I can get it working

Kaine Mandaala

28-08-2005 01:03:22

you should read the news more kaine :) Heres a link

Danke - Yeah I must have been sleeping that day. :D