Star Wars Battlefront

Kaine Mandaala

31-01-2005 21:32:48

Ok I'm going to make this as direct as possible.

Star Wars Battlefront. It seems that interest in the game has really died off in the DJB. What caused this? I know I paid good money for it and now it seems a total waste to never play it. To me there seemed to be a number of problems:

- DJB server disappeared. I know it went back up but I didn't even see any announcement about it going up or down, and especially not one for it coming back.

- Lack of teamwork. That's a big turn-off to me since I played two other squad-based games with other people for years and have grown accustomed to team play.

- Lack of individualism. I know it conflicts with the last point, but hear me out. All the classes are too much alike.

- No jedi. I know it's supposed to be the ground troops, but what about letting people re-enact the AOTC Jedi Academy vs. the Trade Federation/Geonosians? Just make the base "knife" a saber.

- No bot-less game mode. Every game had to be played with countless stupid bots. Great for some people and really helps with the epic battle theme, but just frustrating especially when trying to coordinate with a team.

What do other people see as a negative in the game?

I'd like to see this game play a bigger role in the DJB. What would help you play it more?

Telona

31-01-2005 21:44:57

Well I think we need to organize a time to play the game. These organizations were sucessful in the past but have gone by the way side like many things.

Sith said the server had been down and is now back up. Yes it would have been nice to know when it went down but at least it's back up again.

The classes are as individual as you make them. A sniper can be just as fun as a trooper, just have to have the mind set to have fun with it. And really, you are just some trooper in the army, not a hero. Though I'd like to see the heros on the server more. It's awesome to have Darth Vader on your side :lol:

When I've played on our server I've never seen a bot. Just the regular NPCs. I'd like to see more of those guys generated at once. The Geonosis battle would go a whole lot faster if that was changed.

A negative would be the inability to kick out those guys who come in during your game, blast you and only you, get mad when you blast them back, and cuss the day lights out of you for it.

Other than that I can't think of anything else to say.

Sith Bloodfyre

01-02-2005 00:48:07

As far as no Jedi, I think someone actually made a mod to allow all the characters in the game playable. I'll look into that tomorrow, and make a list of what mods are available. I'll upload and tweak whatever the DB wants. Also, I can turn the bots completely off. The only reason I've had bot on the server at all was to make it a bit more competitive, when there's fewer people on. Again, that can be tweaked, as can AI difficulty. Personally, there's some things I'd love to see Pandemic fix in the game, to really make this a better game, and a more viable option for us.

Anonymous

01-02-2005 02:20:39

Hey guys, TWL has opened the Battlefront 8v8 ladder. Do you guys intend to be active in this ?

Demosthenes email does not work. If not I'm gonna need to remove your team from the ladder. Let me know.

Thanks !

khan

01-02-2005 02:50:54

The only reason why I don't play BF around is because he's an ugly mofo =P j/k
No really, the reason is simply that the gameplay is too slow, or to clumsy per an fps or our age. I tried it for quite some time both sp and mp and I can't find a reason to like it =/ I never liked much the BFV but I had hopes for the SW factor to give me a reason to like this game but it wasn't enough in the end.

CyberGuy

01-02-2005 04:08:52

I would like to play this game online, but I have a "helped" version. It doesn't play online :P >:)

Xanos

01-02-2005 06:05:27

I personally don't see whats wrong with Battlefront and feel greatly disappointed that just because the upper echelon have lost sight in the game it means the rest of us no longer have any decent organised competitions to take part in. Fair enough, it didn't take off in the first week: there's going to be a lot more people bought it by now or joined the club because of it since then. I was all for Battlefront but didn't start playing it until December, I just didn't have time.

Maybe we don't like Battlefront, but that's hardly the point. Look back to some of the recent posts on the former message board, our server is apparently full of players: why aren't we recruiting them???

Right, we don't like Battlefront. Sorry, wrong answer. The future generation of this club do like Battlefront and its our job to provide things they'll like. We can't keep trying to drive this club forward on Jedi Outcast and X-Wing Alliance alone, you won't get new recruits that way. All of us may not like Battlefront, I guarentee all of us don't like Jedi Outcast either, or X-Wing Alliance, but it doesn't stop us trying to motivate people to play those games.

I really think we need to pull our act together and start running some serious Battlefront competitions. I want to play the game, but seemingly can't, due to the total lack of any real activities. There's the weekly gaming tournaments? Great... if I want random matches that don't mean anything I can just load up Battlefront and play a random match against some opponent I don't know. New recruits will think the same. If you want to really make the most of the game you've got to generate interest and provide incentives for people to want to play it.

Is Jedi Outcast the best game in the world? Far from it.
Is X-Wing Alliance the best game in the world? Far, far from it.

But do we just go "those games are trash" and stop? No. They're all we've got. We cannot start setting rediculously high standards and say "Battlefront is trash" and stop playing it, by the same standard we're rejecting Battlefront we should get rid of Jedi Outcast and X-Wing Alliance too.

I remember when Jedi Academy came out we made the same mistake. Everyone said it sucked and it took about six months before we then bothered to do anything with it again. X-Wing Alliance: same problem. We said it was boring and lacked the MP capacities found in XvT. It took us about a year before we finally moved on to fully supporting X-Wing Alliance.

Can we not see we're just repeating the mistakes of the past here? Maybe Battlefront isn't God's Gift to Star Wars Gaming. Maybe it isn't as good as Battlefield 1942 or Battlefield Vietnam. Who ever said it was going to be? It's a Star Wars game!

Star Wars games are not known for being the best games on the market. Jedi Outcast never was. X-Wing Alliance never was. We can't go setting higher standards if we're still going to limit ourselves to Star Wars games. Battlefront is, for all intesive purposes, a good Star Wars game. A good Star Wars game is different to a good game. I think its both, others may not, but it's still a good Star Wars game and one we cannot afford to just ignore.

Kir

01-02-2005 09:33:12

My computers gfx card sucks and therefore I only have it on Xbox...woe is me :P

Arania

01-02-2005 10:32:23

Cant't re-install atm, lost my serial number. It's not on the cover so it must be on the booklet i left elsewhere, grrr... But yeah, interested here.

Kandos

04-02-2005 17:56:57

I would be interested in playing SW Battlefront online, I have done so a bit but I have never found a server where people play as a team and coordinate attacks, etc.

Khobai

06-02-2005 22:50:55

The fact the game [battlefronts] just plain sucks was the biggest deterent for me. Star Wars titles simply don't deliver anymore, and there are far better games that the Dark Brotherhood should be focusing on.

Same goes for Republic Commando, it's not going to save the gaming aspect of this club, because it will NEVER be able to compete with Counterstrike, Unreal Tournament 2K4, and Halflife 2. And even Halo/Halo 2 has a large cult following.

The veritable reality is that the aforementioned games dominate the FPS market, and even a Star Wars conversion using the same exact engine simply cannot compete. If the Dark Brotherhood wants to attract new gamers it needs to support the most popular games in the genre.

If you like the overall concept behind Battlefronts, but dislike the way in which the game is implemented, I suggest looking into a game called C&C Renegade. Renegade will probably run you about $20 US if you can find it, but has a Star Wars conversion available which is better than Battlefronts in every way imaginable.

freshjive taldrya

06-02-2005 23:49:31

Renegade sucked ass

Aidan Kincaid

06-02-2005 23:51:17

Except using non-SW games kind of defeats the purpose of this being a SW club... And apparently they have tried starting stuff with those games and it didn't take. Why? Because we like SW games. That's why we're here, that's why we play them.

Khobai

07-02-2005 03:47:34

battlefront sucks ass too, so its not hard for a renegade total conversion to compete with.

Xanos

07-02-2005 04:48:48

Actually if you look at the facts Force Elite Soldiers is probably the most active Star Wars club currently and doesn't stick to Star Wars games.

We've said it ourselves before; we're as much about roleplaying as games. So, to an extent, what difference does it make.

It's why I've been wanting a fictional niche for Republic Commando, because presently, it's as much a non-Star Wars game as anything else. To the Dark Brotherhood, unless we set up an army, Republic Commando is no different to us than if we were to play Unreal Tournament. Presently its not got a niche in the DB.

Mav

07-02-2005 05:15:55

Actually if you look at the facts Force Elite Soldiers is probably the most active Star Wars club currently and doesn't stick to Star Wars games.

We've said it ourselves before; we're as much about roleplaying as games. So, to an extent, what difference does it make.

It's why I've been wanting a fictional niche for Republic Commando, because presently, it's as much a non-Star Wars game as anything else. To the Dark Brotherhood, unless we set up an army, Republic Commando is no different to us than if we were to play Unreal Tournament. Presently its not got a niche in the DB.

People don't play games in the DB because they think they're taking part in our fictional storyline, Goat, they play them because they like Star Wars and the games fit the theme. It has nothing to do with the fact that storyline was RC makes no sense for the DB. People don't care. Its SW. They like it. It'll have an impact... and so could mods and other games that come along.

As for the other games that aren't Star Wars, I've said it once, and I'll say it again: Get people together who want to play them and *we will support them*. But every single attempt at getting a group dedicated and playing a non-SW Game has failed after a few months at most... Most people get tired of them and just drift back to regular DB activities.

Also, a note about the FES... The biggest portion of the FES is devoted to SWG. Yes, they play other games, but the FES does not really have the same kind of fictional / character development on the scale the DB does. They're the most active SW gaming club in all likelyhood, but I'd be very careful about comparing the DB and FES, as the two clubs are very much different organizations in how they're run and what they do.

Tarax Kor

07-02-2005 08:04:51

Also, a note about the FES... The biggest portion of the FES is devoted to SWG.  Yes, they play other games, but the FES does not really have the same kind of fictional / character development on the scale the DB does. They're the most active SW gaming club in all likelyhood, but I'd be very careful about comparing the DB and FES, as the two clubs are very much different organizations in how they're run and what they do.

I'm in the FES as well, and their RP factor is almost non-existant. They devote themselves only to playin the SW games in a SW-based environment with an Imperial motif. Their ranks are SW-based, and some divisions have an RP-style addition to them, but they're mainly there for one purpose: gaming. They were built for that. No RP nonsense. They are a large gaming clan for all intents and purposes.

They also use non-SW games to support themselves. The Army uses Red Faction, C&C:Renegade, and Call of Duty along with SWBF and Counter-Strike (CS is on and off).

Xanos

07-02-2005 12:46:43

The DB used to be a lot more gaming oriented than it has become though. When the Krath used to be the only roleplaying group the Sith and Obelisk did a lot more hardcore playing than we've more recently grown to do from a lack of interest in that kind of thing.

I think the big problem with our support or lack thereof of other games is its not easy enough. If we want a game incorporated it needs the Dark Council to direct it. Its hard enough, with Dark Council support, to get a new Star Wars game incorporated properly; just look at this topic "Battlefront". For regular members with no official voice its almost impossible for an unsupported game to maintain interest. The only real way people would play other games is if we just had a "free for all" gaming night where people could just play what they wanted, where if they suddenly felt like a match of Half Life 2 they could etc.

In time you might then find people grouping together to try and form a more official following for the game, but to start out that way isn't practical. If it was it'd have worked already with one of the guilds or another.

Also I do feel that the storyline of Republic Commando is important. As do others. Its a little soon for us to go neglecting the importance of fiction when we also campaign the importance of roleplaying. We seem to be trying to play two contradictory points of view which don't quite fit together. We're coming off more like a political party trying to please everyone with a watered down attempt at doing everything; a little bit of roleplaying, a little bit of gaming, a little bit of this, a little bit of that. If we want to be gaming, we need to diversify, a la FES, and if we want to do roleplaying, we need to realise that things like Republic Commando are going to require more support than just "its a Star Wars game so it'll be good". We've relied on that approach before, see Battlefront, even Jedi Academy when it first was released, and it just doesn't work like we ever hope.

I personally have a hard time visualising where Republic Commando might fit into the Dark Brotherhood currently. I'd like to be able to have a Clan Feud one day in the future and relate it to the armed forces clashing, though currently rather than being styled after the Empire or any of the Sith regimes read about in the old comics or seen in either of the KOTOR games, we're more just a cult of Dark Jedi than a group of Dark Jedi leaders in command of vast armies. Its no different really to X-Wing Alliance; it makes me feel a lot better knowing my Clan has a fleet that can be reflected in wargames and the like with the game than if we were just playing X-Wing Alliance for kicks with no roleplaying or fictional basis for the matches.

The Jedi Knight series is a no brainer; we're Dark Jedi. The X-Wing series sits in well enough; we've got a fleet. Republic Commando though doesn't have anything tied in with it yet; we've got no army. I'd like just to see a couple of pages added to the DSC, one about the Brotherhood Naval Forces and one about the Brotherhood Armed Forces. We're soon going to get a flagship after all, it'd be an appropriate time to do it for both.

khan

07-02-2005 14:26:09

Goat, fictionaly talking the DB has conquered no less then seven star system since we split from the EH and ofcourse that as been done trought the use of mercs or other factors ( I suggested a ficitonal way too in the GJW but oh well) and in this view RC quite fits as it does XWA or other flying sims for our fleet.
We have an army, and an huge one too if we have to maintain controll over seven star system since, no matter what, about one thousand dark jedi aren't enough to keep it undercontroll. The problem with BF has nothing to do with fiction, it's just a bad fps and the SW flavor doesn't save it. RC ? it's a whole different game, and a good fps too, and it will surely enough our activity scores. Why ? Becasue it's a cool game and not for some rp factor of sort.
As Mav said, we are all here because we are SW freaks (yeah don't try to hide it !! =P) and while we all play also not-sw games I honestly don't see them fit in our official, or unoffical for the matter, activities.

Xanos

07-02-2005 15:52:04

We have an army; perhaps, but theres no documentation about it. To just go "we have one" is kinda flimsy. If we just said "we have a fleet" it wouldn't give it anywhere near the depth that having an Order of Battle and specific ships does.

And what is it with SWBF being bad? Loads of people love it. Like the guy said on the old Forum, our server is apparently packed. Thats hardly saying the games bad, its just saying we're not doing enough to recruit those people.

What has to remembered is whats a "good fps" today isn't in six months time. Lots of our members, while they might end up liking it and being active because its a good fps, as soon as the next "good fps" of the period comes along they switch and stop playing it. The thing that has kept games as old as TIE alive for so many years, over a decade in fact, has been the story element. Now, its not imperative this second to worry about long term use of RC, no, for we'll have the benefit of it being a good game.

But in twelve months time, when the next good fps has taken its place as king of the hill, people won't be playing it because its modern and the best thing since sliced breath. They'll be playing it because its star wars and has a fitting niche within the club.

All I'm saying is its better to do things sooner than later. It seems to be a tendancy, and not just in the DB, the EH used to do this, not to deal with problems until they become problems rather than plan ahead and put preventative measures in place early on. To expand on the fictional setting of RC, something relatively easy to do- how hard is a chapter in the DSC to write?- now means we'll be saving ourselves the hassle later. Plus it just might make for some more enjoyable competitions.

I know I'd rather play a match thinking myself as one of the Clans armed soldiers battling in a war of the clans rather just for the thrills of playing a random match. After all, if people only wanted random matches they don't need to join the DB; the game has facilities within it for that. People play because they want it to me something more. Sure, for some of us that just means a CF, for others it means a more immersive meaning to the fight. I don't care much for a CF, I'd rather be fighting for something that is fictionally tangible.

Look at Celestial Fury. Theres a reason that generated a lot more activity than the ordinary weekly comps.

Mav

07-02-2005 19:11:40

Celestial Fury only generated activity for the first 2~3 weeks, then people disappeared. Again.

Im sure we could do more with Battlefront, but really, part of the problem with that is that most of the hard core members here do think it sucks. I realize that tons of people play it, but that hardly makes a game good, it just means that a lot of people are playing it... However, those people we *can* recruit from, and we often do.

Also, I seriously don't agree with the assumption that gaming today is at an "all time low" in the club. I know that compared to years and years ago, theres a damn ton more gaming activity. Perhaps since the split theres been a decrease - but it goes in waves, I've noticed. One month, people will play a lot. The next couple not so much. Then they'll play a bit more, then explode again. And repeat. It sort of seems to happen that way around here.

If you have ideas on how Battlefront can be better utilized, other than the Wargame, feel free to bring it up. Or, get out there and start recruiting. *shrugs* I honestly don't know what to tell you except that people do try to play BF and do try to recruit for it. :P

Anonymous

07-02-2005 19:44:50

Battlefront doesn't suck. At all. It's better than a lot of action games out there. Suck is way too strong a word, especially from someone who doesn't have the game, Mav. :P

However, it sure as hell isn't great. There are way better games out there right now. There just haven't been any *really* good Star Wars games released in a couple of years. I hope Republic Commando will change that, but we'll just have to findout. Either way...if a lot of people in the DB are playing Battlefront, regardless if you, or the "top" JO players think it sucks, doesn't it make sense to sanction / run some Battlefront comps? If it fails, then it fails, and we move on. If not, then there ya go. I personally am not playing it anymore as after about 2 weeks it became extremely boring to me...but I may have to reinstall it and check it out again sometime soon, just to see what's new with it. I heard Pandemic have fixed quite a few things with patches.

We just need a good Star Wars game that can appeal to everyone. That's where JO and JA failed. Jedi Knight you had a fair share of saberist-fans (regardless if the sabering sucked, back then it was revolutionary), and a fair share of gun-fans as well. JO had crappy guns. JA had crappy guns. Balanced? Yes. But crappy. Quake 3 = balanced guns. Quake 3 = good guns. The common excuse I hear is "People play these games for the sabers, not the guns!" 90% of the JK MP community played for the guns, so I'm not too sure where that method of thinking comes from.

I remember being able to go onto IRC, and go "JK?" and get at least 2 people to say "Sure." no need to say anything else, just JK question mark, and you had a game. I miss those days. :( Well, what I'm saying is...If Republic Commando has awesome guns, and runs at a decent game speed, it'll be a hit :P

/goatham post end

Sith Bloodfyre

08-02-2005 02:15:01

That's not even remotely Goat-length. :P But anyways, yeah, Pandemic has fixed stuff with patches, although it could still be better. But people are modding it, and have changed a few things (like one mod to up the recharge on Darktrooper, and give it a better gun, etc.). I've mentioned it before, but if anyone is interested in checking out the mods, there's a bunch of them. http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com is a good place to go. http://www.lucasfiles.com is, too. Check the stuff out, if there's anything that looks good (like modded maps with no flight restrictions), I'll put them up on the server.

Xanos

08-02-2005 05:20:48

fixed stuff

I love that line :P Its so ironic as when I tried to install the patch it screwed up and I actually now am left needing to reinstall the whole game... joy. I'd have done it in a flash but it took me about a month of persistent attempts to install it the first time, as it always seemed to freeze up on the third disk.

Kaine Mandaala

08-02-2005 11:15:32

The common excuse I hear is "People play these games for the sabers, not the guns!" 90% of the JK MP community played for the guns, so I'm not too sure where that method of thinking comes from.

The actual excuse is that "People [in the Dark Brotherhood] play these games for the sabers, not the guns!"

I'm all for giving SWBF a shot, but like you I have become somewhat bored with it. It's the type of game that requires at least a few people on each side thinking alike and working together, and I have not yet experienced such teamwork in SWBF - whether it's playing with DJB people or some random server.

As for the problems Xanos is having with installing SWBF, see if a store like Electronics Boutique or Gamestop (or whatever is near you) will exchange the 3rd disc for you. When I was having problems installing KOTOR I took it down to the store and just switched disc 4. Of course it helps that I used to work there...

Mav

08-02-2005 13:23:53

Canna, I never said BF sucked. I said many of our hardcore gaming members think it sucks. I personally don't care one way or another - I've played the game and I like it but I don't think its that great, but more can be done with it. Theres nothing stopping any Clan from running competitions related to it - If you think theres people in your Clan interested, (and this goes for anyone), why not suggest a comp that utilizes BF? Currently, the DC isn't goign to support another DB-wide comp since the KROS is going on, so don't expect us to put out BF-related activities for a bit.

Beyond that, I do hope RC succeeds where past games have failed. I do think that JO guns are actually fun, and not that bad, it just that the guns are a lot more rounded and equal. Granted, the saber is given a lot more emphasis, but if both players are using guns, the game can be fun... Especially if the server is modified or what not. I'd love to see a JO mod that gave more ammo to the guns. :P But this post is about BF, not JO...

Anonymous

08-02-2005 14:00:01

In JK, well more than half of the DBers who played it, played guns. For a long time at least, the guns interested dwindled when a lot of people quit and it was mostly just a bunch of nf saberists. So again, I don't know where that state of mind comes from...

JO guns are just crap. I don't care what anyone says, they blow chunks. The guns are "balanced", yes, but they suck. It's like I said before, Quake 3 has balanced guns, and Quake 3 has good guns. Unreal Tournament has balanced and good guns too. Half-Life 2, Doom 3, etc, etc...balanced, and good, and fun. JO guns are crap. JO had good sabering, but that's all it had going for it. I see people say "Noone in the DB plays guns, theyre too wussy". While I'll agree that most of them are wussy, that can't be the reason for everyone. If the guns in JO weren't so damned lame, I'm sure more people would play them. That's why I didn't like JO, crappy guns (and the force powers, ugh sucks) What was this topic about again? Oh yeah Battlefront.

Eh...On a clan level, it's not all that possible to do a Battlefront comp. You need at least 6-10 people in a game for it to be worth a damn, regardless if you have AI bots or not. That wouldn't be fun at all. I don't see what's wrong with running a brotherhood wide Battlefront comp. It doesnt have to be a GJW, for christs sake

The Krath RoS offers nothing to gamers, or BF fans, Mav...at all. I'm not going to insult it or anything, I'm sure some people enjoy it (although not many, the participation hasn't been anything to brag about) but I don't see how running a BF competition is going to conflict with the Krath RoS...

edit - edited to remove those annoying emoticons ugh

Xanos

08-02-2005 14:45:44

I have to agree with Blade; the KROS isn't really a reason to not be able to run gaming competitions presently. The last Sith War didn't stop there being any writing competitions or anything.

Further to the point that running a BF competition inside a Clan is difficult due to the number of players required to have a good match is what I mentioned earlier about implementing new games; without DC support it fails. Look at every single Guild; failed; failed; failed. They've been some good games too, with some influencial people heading them, but without official support and direction they fail.

Its the difference between the requirements to be a Consul or a Quaestor and those to be an Order Leader. Any Quaestor can run a competition, but to direct a new games implementation takes quite a lot more ability than that found in the ordinary Quaestor.

In the days of single Order, yes, we could rely more on the Quaestor to do the job, because the job requirements were rather straightforward. With MO Houses not every Quaestor is going to be able to handle every single game; yet their House has to be able to. If a Quaestor doesn't have Battlefront that's not going to stop new recruits joining their House because of Battlefront. That's where MO Houses require a serious rethink to our approach with how we go about running things. It was all well and good a couple of years ago to let Quaestors get on and do it on their own, but thats implausible with MO Houses given the number of single-skilled Quaestors.

Is this requiring a huge lot of work? Not really. I'd suggest having a "Battlefront War" every Friday night or something. No other games; just Battlefront. Tough to those who whine and say its unfair a single game gets its own gaming night; that's life. Something like that would be a start, at least then you know that everyone turning up that evening is going to want to play Battlefront and not be swept away into a JO match all of a sudden.

The next step would be making something out of that "War" title. Celestial Fury-esque ideas would be the simplest approach- I recall discussing something like that with Mav last summer involving neutral territories the Clans could fight over for added prestige and the like. All reasonably easy to do. Simple website, few pages, one guy to update it; ordinary HTML would work.

It'd be an ideal competition to later expand to Republic Commando, a "war of the worlds" setting fits both those games pretty well, especially if RC MP ends up working well with team units and larger scale matches rather than simple 1 on 1 fights.

Anywho... just a left over idea from the former Sith office you might like to ponder taking up.

Kaine Mandaala

08-02-2005 15:04:24

I'd suggest having a "Battlefront War" every Friday night or something. No other games; just Battlefront. Tough to those who whine and say its unfair a single game gets its own gaming  night; that's life. Something like that would be a start, at least then you know that everyone turning up that evening is going to want to play Battlefront and not be swept away into a JO match all of a sudden.

I'm all for it.

Ideally I would like to see people using tools like TeamSpeak to organize in-game. Seperate channels for each side are easy enough, and keybinds can be made to switch back and forth should you get auto-balance kicked to the other side. This goes along the lines of what I was saying earlier as what I perceive as an issue with BF - teamwork.

Xanos

08-02-2005 16:41:00

Another "lets get people playing this game" idea would be to do something similar to what we did with Allegiance in terms of awards. I remember, because matches could be so long and there were so many people of different skill on either side, we just gave CFs to everyone who took part in ALG matches.

Now, I know we're not going to agree on doing that for SWBF in quite the same way as a 1 on 1 match of SWBF is almost entirely AI driven meaning people would be earning CFs for free. However if people manage to set up a game of 5 v 5 or more I'd suggest everyone taking part gets a CF.

Why? Well, 5 v 5 or a similarly large number isn't easy to set up. Its not easy to keep the match going. Its also demonstrating successful promotion of the game on a far wider level than achieved in the past; for that alone I'd say the people playing deserve an award of some description.

This might only want to be done for a trial period of a month or two, just to get people into the game and playing it, or just for Battlefront War matches, not regular matches played at other times during the week. But I think it would be a sensible idea to look into for it would strongly encourage larger matches, which on the whole are a lot more enjoyable by all parties involved.

Xanos

08-02-2005 16:51:45

In respect of the dumbed down wargame approach I'd probably recommend something of the following:

Simple map with a dozen or so systems (exact number needs thought) represented as single "dots" on a map and joined to other systems via "lines". Basic principle being if Clan X occupies System Y and System Y is adjacent to System Z then Clan X can challenge occupier of System Z for ownership during said week. Basic.

A gaming driven war doesn't really want to be anything complicated. It wants to be simple enough that people know that if their Clan wins more matches this week than Clan Z they'll earn control of a new planet and vice versa. It wouldn't even require "movements" or anything like that, as it'd just work on who you're adjacent too. Simple, but providing of that little extra motivation for those who need to feel as if they're fighting for something.

Rewards would be easiest to do with all the stuff coming out with Rebirth, but since BF is out already and RC in a months time we can't sit around like ducks waiting for Rebirth so I'd suggest awards akin to the Sunday Tournament by some kind of resource points for fighter upgrades and the like. If we did something about my other ideas for an army this could actually be fought for some kind of army points rather than navy points or something. I dunno. Ideas are just ideas but you get the idea of what kind of things we could award for continued success and territorial occupation.

If nothing else, it's fictionally more entertaining. I'd far more enjoy being able to write a little bit of Dark Voice-esque fluff in my weekly reports about the Clan armada launching an unprecidented surprise night attack on Clan X, overcoming the advance guard and breaking through the enemy lines to achieve victory and once again fly the flag of Naga Sadow on the soils of System Z. It just makes everything that little bit more fun. It's more interesting than just saying "Yeah, we beat Clan Q again this week...".

Raidoner

15-02-2005 08:42:32

Im sure that once the GMRG gets back on its feet the interest in the game will be rekindled.

Anonymous

25-02-2005 12:46:43

I'm not going to bother reading through all of this, because frankly I don't care about half of your opinions, and you don't care about mine.

Battlefront is different from a lot of the other FPS games out there at the moment, most FPS are based upon a playstyle that is fast-paced and kill oriented(CTF an exclusion). Battlefront is a slower-paced game, more akin to things such as Rogue Spear, and Ghost Recon, where teamwork and roles are more important than frags. If you don't like that playstyle, then you're going to dislike the game.

On another note, I'm currently working with Tarentum to start a circle dedicated to the play of such team-style games. We are currently focusing on Battlefront, and Allegiance, with future regards to Republic Commando. I personally would also be intersted in some Rogue Spear, or Ghost Recon. Now while this doesn't directly affect a number of you, being in other clans, it does offer an opportunity to you.

1) This circle will have set practices, if possible two a week. While the main goal is to practice for the Tarentum team, in most circumstances, more players are always welcome.

2) I plan on running at least one team oriented game a week, most likely on Saturdays. This week it will be Allegiance, though I plan on switching it up, between Allegiance and Battlefront. This match will be open to everyone, and will most likely if successful be sanctioned by the SHW, and other DC, and you can be rewarded for playing the games.

3) The circle will always need opponents, so feel free to start up similar groups. It'd be great if each clan could field a nice 4-8 man team for these games. I'd love to see a 4-way battle in Allegiance.

Scheduled practices and dedicated teams, would also most it slightly easier to recruit members from out of band. Those that like the game, but aren't just Star Wars nerds. It'd be nice to have some other changes as well. I'd love to actually see a non-Jedi rank in the DB, for exactly those members that want to play the games, but don't want to deal with the SA. And it makes perfect sense RP, because frankly not everyone in a clan is a jedi, we have vassals, infantry, and the like.

Moral of the story, Battlefront is coming back. So is Allegiance. Look forrward to it.

Telona

25-02-2005 19:00:47

/me gives love to Gryffon

Too bad I'm on vacation or I'd join in the games this weekend.

Mike Halcyon

25-02-2005 19:26:18

Battlefront is different from a lot of the other FPS games out there at the moment, most FPS are based upon a playstyle that is fast-paced and kill oriented(CTF an exclusion). Battlefront is a slower-paced game, more akin to things such as Rogue Spear, and Ghost Recon, where teamwork and roles are more important than frags. If you don't like that playstyle, then you're going to dislike the game.

Ahahahah! BattleFront is as much akin to Rogue Spear as Keanu Reeves to a good actor. :w00t:

lol, sorry - that just made my day. :)

Aidan Kincaid

25-02-2005 20:19:10

I dunno, most of Keanu's movies are good. And BF isn't a bad game... it just had way too much reliance on AI for MP. It was just SP re-done with lag and a few random humans. It required no real skill as the weapons were all fairly crappy about aim and whatnot and you always had to worry about random AIs attacking you.

Actually, I'm suprised that such a game didn't take off in the DB what with it downplaying the skill level. Most people in the DB don't have/want/try to get skill and either avoid matches or don't play MP at all because of it. This game would be perfect for a good chunk of the DB.

Locust

28-02-2005 16:45:41

That was subtle shad ;)

Completely right, too.

~Loc