House Feud: 'Unsettled Scores Updates

Xanos

05-08-2005 08:54:16

Updates to the Plotline will be posted in this thread.

Please do not post in this thread.

These Updates will be in-character in nature and should be treated as such. For example discussions between Muz and Xanos would only be known by people who may have been in the room listening to the conversation. The information is primarily designed to help direct people with Fiction Events by providing some general guide as to where the story is going. However naturally if an Update includes characters who you could have spoken to in-character such as your Quaestor or one of your Battleteam Leaders you are welcome to assume you are aware of the new developments. It is recommended you check this page before posting on the Run-On to ensure you are up to date with developments.

Knowledge of Plot Updates posted after the start of a Chapter is not expected for submissions. If you submit a story early you will not be penalised for writing it in-character with only knowledge of the earlier plot developments. Likewise you are welcome to include knowledge of the later Plot Updates if you so desire however it will not provide any direct advantage.

Xanos

05-08-2005 11:45:10

The shadow sat meditating upon a cloud of darkness. In his cold and icy lair he could reach out and touch the galaxy, drawing everything inwards into an endless singularity until there was nothing left. He was a bottomless black hole in the dark side, an untapped fountain of unlimited power. In his frozen sanctum he could feel everything that went on everywhere.

The shadow stirred for the first time in nearly two years as he pulled the threads inward and contemplated their source. Misguided reports of a hooded assassin running rampant throughout the system intermingled with fear and panic. He reached out to touch the Force and felt only a black cloud push him back as though he had been deliberately blocked out. He drew on his inner sight and forced the cloud away only to be confronted with another layer of murky nothingness. For a second he thought he caught sight of a mirror of his own reflection but it faded into the bleak and empty void before he could study it further.

Sinking back to the ground the shadow drew to his full height and raised his sight to the black skyline atop the crystal peaks of white and fallen snow. It was time.

Xanos

05-08-2005 19:04:23

Chapter 1
Shadows in the Dark

The Great Hall of Sadow Palace drew silent as the Proconsul entered through the main doors, flanked on either side by two members of the Palace Guard who were directly followed by a member of the Black Guard whose face was hidden behind the black visor of their ceremonial uniform. The Proconsul moved quickly to the front of the auditorium and took up his position at the main podium to head this emergency assembly.

“Everyone already knows why I’ve called this meeting so I’ll get straight to the point. There was an attack on one of our security patrols on Tarthos in the early hours of this morning. The assailant is unknown but we are following up the leads we have.” He paused for effect. “Until the Consul returns from his trip to Antei I suggest everyone travel in pairs and keep on the alert.”

“What are the leads so far?” asked Xhedias Forkall rising from Summit stools.

Muz studied the Sith Battlemaster for a moment before answering. “They do not concern anyone but the security patrols. Needless to say I have already informed the Consul and he has assured me that the security teams will be able to handle it. He doesn’t want anyone starting a panic among the regular citizens.”

“Regular citizens?” responded Xhedias incredulously. “We’re Dark Jedi! Does it matter if somebody is killing the security patrols? They can be replaced…” he trailed off.

Muz nodded. “Yes, they can.” He steadied his gaze firmly. “But the Consul has demanded it. Do you question his orders, Battlemaster?”

Xhedias shrugged and sat back down.

“Right. As I was saying everyone is to travel in pairs. You are to report anything strange. Furthermore…”

---

“I lost a lot of good men last night. This had better work,” said the Chiss officer.

The cloaked figure inclined his head. “Do you question me, colonel?”

“I’m just saying it was difficult enough to bypass the security systems to have the warning sirens all go off at once. I don’t know whether I’ll be able to keep doing this without somebody…”

The taller alien didn’t let him finish. “Enough. It is necessary. That is all you need to know”

The Chiss lowered his head. “Of course, my lord. I shall have my men proceed as planned.”

---

Krath Acolyte Tyrast Malach hurried down the dark corridor in the Great Library alone. He had forgotten that he wasn’t meant to be walking the halls alone. Oh no, Manji will kill me if he catches me out here disobeying the Consul’s orders thought the Acolyte silently. If only I had remembered to ask someone to…

He froze. Footsteps… right around the corner!

“Sithspit, why does somebody have to be coming the other way now!” he muttered under his breath. He turned around to see if there was anywhere he could hide. The corridor was largely empty except for a small meditation alcove. He retraced his steps as quickly as he could, being sure to step softly to avoid making any noise. Hopefully they won’t catch me in here.

“I think he’s just overplaying it. It doesn’t need all this walking around in pairs,” said a voice Tyrast recognised as that of the Clan Rollmaster.

There was a deep grunt in response followed by a short high pitched squeal. Gamorrean.

“Exactly, why not just let the Journeymen run around in pairs and let those of us who can handle ourselves act like we normally do? It’s not as if we’ve got anything to fear unless there’s a rogue Elder running around, and the Council would have done something had that been the case.” He paused for a moment as the rounded the corner. “Frell, they’d have quarantined the whole system if that was the case. We’d have the Heresiarch in orbit right now and Chamber of Justice hunters sniffing around everywhere.”

The Gamorrean squealed something in response.

Xhedias laughed. “I guess that’s true. This pair thing is better than having the Council poking its nose in everywhere.” He stopped walking. “Voort, do you feel that?”

Voort looked around and shook his head.

The Rollmaster shrugged. “I guess you’re not an Equite yet. There’s something strange. Like a shadow in the Force. It’s as if…” he broke off unclipping his lightsaber from his belt.

Voort grunted something urgently in Gamorrean.

“There’s somebody else here. They’re trying to mask their presence… badly.”

Xhedias moved slowly down the corridor until he came to a halt beside one of the small alcoves. “In here. Do you want to go in first?”

The Gamorrean squealed excitedly and unclipped his lightsaber.

Xhedias shook his head. “They don’t feel very strong no. Just don’t make a mess…”

“No!” shouted Tyrast as he jumped out of the alcove, bumping into Voort and knocking him back. “Stop! I’m not…” He didn’t get a chance to finish. Voort had been so startled by the hidden figure’s sudden appearance that he had barely noticed himself instinctively fingering his lightsaber to life and thrusting it vertical in a diagonal arc.

Voort squealed something random that Xhedias barely understood. The Rollmaster simply looked down at the beheaded corpse dumbfounded. “Voort,” he said vacantly.

Voort grunted.

“You idiot,” replied Xhedias calmly.

The Gamorrean squealed something again.

“Because that was one of our Acolytes, you moronic Koochoo,” said the Zabrak, finally raising his voice.

Voort deactivated his lightsaber and gave an equally vacant expression as Xhedias. He grunted something a little higher pitched than normal.

“What do you mean am I sure? Of course I’m sure. That was Tyrast Malach. He was one of Marka Ragnos’s Acolytes.” He paused. “Echuta! Manji is going to be angry when he hears about this.”

---

Muz stood looking at the hologram of the Obelisk Sergeant. “I see. Do you have anything to add Battlemaster?”

The display shifted to include Xhedias who shook his head. “No. It was as Voort described.”

Muz didn’t speak for a few moments leaving the three in an awkward silence. “You do realise how bad the timing for this was?” They both nodded. “If Xanos were here he probably wouldn’t be letting you off as easily as I’m going to but I don’t want to cause anymore friction than there already is.”

Xhedias opened his mouth to speak but Muz raised a hand to silence him. “When this is over though I’m sure the Consul will want to know exactly what happened. I’m not making any promises.”

“Isn’t he due back already?” asked Xhedias.

Muz shrugged his shoulders. “He was meant to be back yesterday but apparently something came up at the Dark Hall. He’ll be extending his trip for a few more days. Until then we’re on our own.”

---

“Is that everything?” asked Xanos.

Muz nodded.

“I take it people realise now why they should listen when I say to stay in pairs?” asked the Consul.

“Yeah,” replied Muz. “I’m fairly sure people got the message this time.”

Xanos retained his distant expression. “Have there been any other incidents since? This is certain to have repercussions,” he said.

“Not yet,” replied the Proconsul. “But I got the impression talking to Manji that he wasn’t exactly that impressed. He said something about Consul-Kressh bias…”

The Adept hissed. “Everyone knows what I would have done had I been there.”

Muz nodded. “I know. It won’t stop the rumours while you are away though.”

Xanos sighed. “They’ll have to deal with it. I’m going to be stuck on Antei for a few more days.”

“The Clan will be fine until then I’m sure. I can’t help but feel certain unease in the Force though. There are things like the security alert that just don’t add up. The only people with the master codes are you and I.”

“And Narok and Dasak.”

Muz swore having only just remembered. “You’re not suggesting?”

“No,” said Xanos, barely shaking his head. “I’m not. However if the assassin is a Dark Jedi it wouldn’t take him much to use a few mind tricks on one of them.”

“I thought they are trained to resist them? Wouldn’t it require a powerful Elder to do that?”

“Why do you think I insisted that people stay in pairs.”

---

Colonel Varan’aro’kanuro stood alongside a black shrouded figure inside the ruined tower on Sepros waiting for his master’s response.

“Excellent,” said the cloaked man. “I take it you are monitoring any further developments between the two Houses?”

Narok nodded.

The grey-green alien nodded in approval. “This conflict could be the answer to all our problems. It is unexpected but it will make it far easier for us to operate unseen. I trust your men are ready for the second phase in the operation?”

“Yes, my lord, I have cells waiting for your command as we speak,” said Colonel Narok.

“They are all fully loyal? We can’t afford to have them double checking their orders,” asked the tall figure.

Narok nodded. “I had them handpicked from the Palace Guard. They will do as I ask.”

“Then be ready, colonel. We will only have one chance at this.”

Colonel Narok turned and left the room leaving the masked alien to look out across the Seprosian jungle and contemplate the events of the next few days.

Xanos

15-08-2005 12:43:18

Chapter 2
Lies and Deception

The Proconsul stared blankly at the message in front of him not wanting to believe it. It just couldn’t be possible. It must be a mistake. It must.

“Colonel…” started Muz trailing off a little before continuing, “is this report… is it accurate?”

Narok nodded. “Everything has been checked and double checked, my lord. There is no doubt about it. The additional troopers provided by House Ludo Kressh opened fire on Journeymen from House Marka Ragnos killing three before Aedile Pridemore arrived.”

“I see…” said Muz. “And the order definitely came from Bob?”

Narok gave a more cautious nod. “Yes, my lord.”

Muz looked down at the message again. This wasn’t happening. Not while he was in charge. There must be a mistake somewhere. Bob wouldn’t order an attack on House Marka Ragnos. Forak could see the confusion on the Proconsul’s face. “I… had it personally checked, sir.”

“Leave me,” commanded the Proconsul.

Muz turned around and stared out into the Seprosian night. There had to be another explanation. Didn’t there? The lightsaber… the third eye… this wasn’t just troops. He shook his head. It didn’t matter. When word got out nobody was going to care who had done it.

---

“I did not issue any such order,” repeated Bob forcefully.

Manji’s hologram sneered. “That’s carbon flush and you know it. Colonel Varan’aro’kanuro confirmed that the order came from your office or someone with your authority. It certainly wasn’t Muz. Xanos is on leave. Maybe I can convince the House to go easy on your people if you admit it now.”

“Murglak,” spat Bob. “I don’t care what you think. I did not issue that order.”

The hologram shook its head. “Fine. I can see this is going to get nowhere. First Voort, now you. I won’t be held responsible for the consequences, Battlelord. Manji out.”

---

“I see,” said Xanos calmly. “Is there anything to suggest the order was a fake?”

Muz shook his head. “Not unless you could common sense and everyone seems to have lost any of that right now.”

The Falleen didn’t laugh. “And we are sure they really were our troops who gunned down those members of House Marka Ragnos?”

The Proconsul sighed. “At this stage I don’t think it even matters. Nobody is going to listen even if there is a reasonable explanation, which there doesn’t appear to be.”

“There is always an explanation, Proconsul,” said Xanos. “It is just more elusive than we might wish.”

“It’s as if everyone has forgotten all about the three eyed assassin too. They just think it was one of the guards dressed up or at the most a member of House Ludo Kressh.”

“Pure ignorance,” spat the Consul. “Do they forget that it had the clear mark of an Elder?”

“Yeah, but that doesn’t help. The only Elders are you and Tron. And neither of you are even in system so nobody is going to start accusing you two, and they have to start pointing the fingers somewhere.”

Xanos shook his head. “Fools. It appears I may have to accelerate my plans so I can resolve this situation personally.”

“You’re cutting your business on Antei short then?” asked Muz.

“Perhaps,” said the Falleen. “I will give it a little longer as the answer may yet reveal itself to us.”

“I hope you’re right. I don’t want to even start thinking how bad things will be after another week. The death count has already entered the double figures.”

“Just remind them who their true enemy is. This has signs of the Marked. You and I both know that. Get them to direct their anger toward them. Deception is the mark of those we hunt.”

“Nobody even knows where to start looking,” sighed Muz.

“Speak to your apprentice.”

“Kat?” enquired Muz.

“Check the logs of the Trial I gave to her on Inos. You will find the answers there,” said Xanos.

“How can you be sure though? There were no direct signs at all as to who or what she encountered on the planet,” replied Muz sceptically.

“You forget that I was once one of their apprentices. I know the signs. More importantly I know the way their minds work. The one we hunt came from Inos. The answers will be in those logs.”

The Proconsul shrugged his shoulders. “It just seems too easy.”

The Elder smiled. “It is strange how often the answer you seek has been staring you straight in the face all along.”

---

Muz looked around at the small group he had managed to convince the stop fighting and come with him to Sepros. There weren’t many but they would do. It was futile to try and convince the whole Clan that this was just a plot masqueraded by one of the Marked but at least the few loyalists he had assembled would be able to help him hunt down and destroy the real assassin.

“You all know why you’re here,” said Muz. “This conflict between the two Houses has been perpetuated by the false information that led to accusations raised against Battlelord Daragon.”

“So what is it you wish us to do, master?” asked one of the Dark Jedi Knights.

“This is a war of misinformation. We need to find out who this assassin is, hunt them down, and silence them. I need some of you to go through the palace archives and dig up everything you can on the Marked of the Wanderer. The rest are coming with me to Inos as per the Consul’s orders.”

“Inos? That’s just a dead ball of ice though, isn’t it?”

“Perhaps,” said Muz. “That’s what we’re going there to find out.”

---

“Excellent work, Colonel,” said the shadowed figure. “I see our little conflict has blossomed into a war.”

Colonel Narok fixed his gaze on the dark cloaked alien. “The Proconsul suspected nothing. It was a flawless plan, my lord.”

The alien figure smiled beneath his heavy cowl. “Of course it was, Colonel. I made it.”

The Chiss nodded. “Of course, my lord.”

“And now they seek to find the assassin on Inos?” asked the shadow.

“Yes, my lord,” replied Narok. “The Proconsul is already organising a team for the mission.”

“Excellent. Let them seek the culprit on Inos. Everything is proceeding according to plan.”

“You are sure they do not suspect, my lord?” asked Narok.

The shadow turned from the broken window. “Me?” he hissed. “But they are so sure it is one of the Marked, Colonel. Yes… everything is proceeding according to plan.”

---

The tattoo of the third eye closed as the shadow exited the meditation chamber. He could feel their approaching presence. They, however, he knew, would not feel his. Quy’Tek meditative techniques were a wonderful thing to one who wanted to remain hidden.

He reached out with the Force and grinned as he sensed the echoes of the ships landing on the surface of the icy planet. Transportation. This would work to his advantage. He would see to it this rogue would pay for defacing the reputation of the Marked.

Xanos

18-08-2005 11:21:56

The towering figure glowed with rage as he entered the ruined tower on Sepros. Even though he was not Force-sensitive Colonel Narok could sense that things were not going as planned.

The shadow turned to the Chiss officer. "Colonel," he said with unnatural calm.

The officer straightened himself and saluted. "Yes, my lord?"

"Have the fleet disabled."

The Chiss opened his eyes in disbelief. This was too much, even after everything the shadow had asked him to do this was too much. "My lord..."

The shadow clenched his fist before the colonel could even speak. "Do not question my orders. Events are escalating out of control. The Marked were not to be drawn out this soon. If we are to stand any chance of victory we must first prevent more losses."

Narok coughed something inaudible and the shadow released his grip.

"Good. See to it that it is done immediately. Contact Major Forak."

---

"What?" shouted Forak disbelievingly. "You want me to do what?"

Narok's hologram glowered at the major. "Input the overide codes. Have the fleet disabled."

Forak gulped. "But that would leave us open to attack. That would... leave most of House Ludo Kressh stranded. There's a feud going on, sir."

"You will do as I order, major," shouted Narok. "If you have a problem with my orders then you can take it up with the Consul when he returns."

Forak nodded quickly. "Yes, sir... fine sir. I'll have the necessary code sequence input to disable the fleet."

---

"Exarch," said the ship's captain.

The Son of Sadow did not turn from the bridge's viewport. "What is it?"

"The fleet is recieving an overide code from Sadow Palace," responded the captain with a hint of concern in his voice.

"Overide code?" asked Raistlin, turning his back on the viewport.

The captain nodded. "Yes, sir."

The Obelisk Exarch stepped toward the captain. "Well what does that mean?"

"Its the ship's overide code, sir. It disables the ship engine and weapon systems remotely," replied the captain quickly.

"What?!" the Exarch shouted. "You mean we're dead in the water?"

"Yes, unless the Consul gives the master overide we'll be stuck here."

"There's no way off?"

"Only the transports, sir."

Raistlin glared at the captain and for a second considered beheading him there and then, then thought better of it. "What idiot ordered this?"

"Colonel Narok, sir," replied the captain, referring to the commander of the Clan's armed forces.

"But... only Muz and Xanos can give him an order..." whispered Raistlin, more to himself than anyone else.

"Have my transport readied for launch," spat Raistlin. "I'm getting off this rock, and be sure to have everyone else from House Ludo Kressh informed."