Sharad Question

Sharad Taldrya Hett

29-02-2008 14:02:09

Another question and answer thread, but with a new Combat Master. :P Fire away...

Dismal

01-03-2008 12:36:43

Not ACC related, but whatever. :P

Why not just make a Combat Master Question thread? It'd be easier. :P

Sharad Taldrya Hett

01-03-2008 17:57:16

Having my name in a topic makes me feel powerful.

Vivackus Kavon

04-03-2008 23:13:01

Ok, I've got a question. I'm trying to figure out how skilled a person would be when their skill stats seem to contradict.
Let me explain: Say a person has a 5/5 in the sword category but only a 3/5 in the Handedness category, certainly they're not going to be quite as skilled as someone who's got a 5/5 in both.
It gets even more complicated with the lighsaber stats, where people usually have a 5/5 in the lightsaber category, but only a 3 or 4/5 in the specific form (compunded with a possible non 5/5 in the handedness), I think you can see how it can get confusing how to match people up against each-other.
(this is to say nothing of JH's who frequently have a 1/5 in the training saber but then get something like a 4/5 in the Banath form, which doesn't make any sense to me)

Can you explain how to weight these different things to determine skill with weapons?
Thanks

Sharad Taldrya Hett

04-03-2008 23:18:21

To start things off, handedness has nothing to do with lightsabers. The lightsabers and their respective forms are completely standalone. As far as how to match people up in terms of fighting I can sum this up relatively easily, see below.

Lightsaber and other weapon stats detail how well you know HOW to use a certain a weapon. 5/5 means you really know what to do with a given weapon, whereas 1/5 means you're inept with it.

Forms and handedness basically mean how well you perform given actions. You may know how to use your lightsaber well, but if you haven't mastered any of the forms then your combat will be subpar. The same goes for handedness.

Vivackus Kavon

04-03-2008 23:35:37

Ok, i think I get the lightsaber part. What about how handedness fits in with regular weapons, such as swords and blasters?
If I'm understanding you properly, the points for the skill determine how well you know the "theory" of how to use the weapon (i guess that's how you'd call it), while the handedness is more in how you implement it? so for example: if you've got 5/5 in blasters but say a 2/5 in your off hand, if you tried to shoot something with your off hand, you'd know very well how many shots you can take before it'll overheat, the blaster's not likely to backfire on you, or whatever, but since your off hand has only 2/5 you're not that coordinated with it, and you won't be guaranteed to hit anything with out a bit of luck.
Is assessment right?

Telona

05-03-2008 16:19:07

My two cents.

Think about which hand you write with. (Writing: 5/5) You know how to write and you can do it pretty well with that one hand. (Handedness Strong Hand: 5/5) Switch to your other hand and see just how well you can write with that one. Nothing has changed in your knowledge on how to write nor has anything changed with the pen. Yet your writing looks like a 3 year old did it. (Handedness Off Hand: 1/5) The more practice you have writing with your off hand the better your writing will look. It might take many months or it might take many years to make your writing in your off hand look just as good as your writing in your strong hand.

As for the lightsaber points. I think of those mainly in reference to the 'Circles' listed under the techniques. You have 5 in a specific form then you've mastered all the techniques and the form. If you have 4 then you haven't learned all the techniques but you are still pretty freaking good with the form and you've basically learned all you want out of the form if you've moved on to a higher form.

Just how I intemperate things.

Halcyon

05-03-2008 17:52:30

That's pretty much how I interpreted things as well, heh. Hence why I've also said that people should put points in both hands and not just one...unless you're missing a limb and don't have a prosthetic :P But, that should also be changing with the new CS' anyways.

kraval

05-03-2008 18:59:13

You tease!

Dalthid

09-03-2008 07:30:52

Weapon Type Points = Knowledge of the Weapon.
Strong Hand/Off-Hand = Application of the Weapon.

Malik

09-03-2008 08:28:20

Alright so I don't use the ACC but the handedness has confused me as well, mainly combined with lightsaber forms.
I've picked 5/5 in jar'kai niman which is exclusively based on using two sabers as far as I know, now unless I put 5 points in both hands I assume I'd be pretty worthless with one saber?

Halcyon

09-03-2008 09:53:39

I think it was mentioned above already, but lightsaber forms are completely separate from handedness. Your skill with a lightsaber; how many you can use at once, etc... is all based on the forms(s) you've chosen. It doesn't matter what your handedness is. If you want to wield a lightsaber and another weapon...then handedness would come into play.

Tarax Kor

09-03-2008 14:17:58

Just a general CS question:

How/when are the Stats and Skills points increased? Which one is based more on the actual rank and which one is based more on the ACC rank?

Sharad Taldrya Hett

09-03-2008 15:36:53

Attribute Stats/Saber = DB Rank
Weapon Stats = ACC Rank

RevengeX

09-03-2008 16:10:55

http://www.darkjedibrotherhood.com/dbjedi/...dium.asp?Part=2 - also shows the formulae at the bottom of the page.

Cethgus

23-05-2008 04:17:26

Sharad I recent got my 10wins meaning I should now be a Level 1: Zealot but my character sheet hasnt been updated.

Sharad Taldrya Hett

31-05-2008 11:31:03

Sharad I recent got my 10wins meaning I should now be a Level 1: Zealot but my character sheet hasnt been updated.

done

Also, you don't need to email me then post on here. I was on LoA, so I just hadn't gotten to it. I don't lose email. You could also include my DCM, Shadow, to speed things along in the future as well.

Kal

10-06-2008 02:56:35

Probably a dumb question, but what the hell...

Can we still fight a Vong in the ACC? You know, with a trainer or someone randomly picked to write as the Vong? Maybe the judge?

Sith Bloodfyre

05-07-2008 10:28:34

Yep, you sure can. Put it in the request. Or work it out with a Clan-mate. Just make a note of it somewhere in the challenge, or the Clan-mate put it in their acceptance.