Concerning Cortosis

Lorien Sinclair

15-10-2005 23:40:33

Has the idea been tossed around to limit Cortosis to the same level of mastery as, say dual sabers or the saberstaff? I mean I understand that the basis for keeping it out of the ACC is that it would give an unfair advantage, but couldn't it be treated like the higher forms of saber mastery?

Just a thought......

Dalthid

16-10-2005 11:21:27

No one's keeping it out of the ACC, you just have to be approved to use it. Nice thought though...

Mike Halcyon

17-10-2005 14:09:11

I beg to differ. Cortosis is rare, our DAs aren`t. Technically, there shouldn`t even be a single Cortosis weapon available - but since people like to play, they get it. Let`s keep it that way, though.

Dalthid

17-10-2005 18:40:26

good point lightie :) Yea, Cortosis doesn't give any advantage at all, really. It's primarily restricted because of it's rarity - especially with the inception of the DB timeline now, it is even more so.

Anonymous

23-10-2005 18:34:52

um corosis is rare but not that rare...
it can be found on the blak maket and since the DB is not so moralistic as the Jedi are...whats to stop us...but i agree there should be some rules and limitations offcourse...but wouldnt a battle between say a DJM and a JH be equal if a DJM is using his saber and the JH is using, whatever he`s proficient with, made of cortosis...that would even the ods...at least on tournaments...

Halcyon

23-10-2005 18:59:25

A BIG reason why we don't like cortosis is because it would take away from the lightsaber. It is, and should be, a large deal for people to receive their lightsaber. It is one of the most important moments in the DB...and as such, why take away from it?

Yes, it's not "fair" to face someone with a lightsaber when you don't have one...but you will eventually wield that lightsaber. Work at it and you'll get it.

Until then...well...a lot of competitions does allow some sort of lightsaber use (ie. Championship Ladder) or if you ever want, there are halls around in which a lightsaber cannot be used.

Sith Bloodfyre

23-10-2005 19:13:12

You know, this has been debated pretty much since the inception of the (then) KCC on through the current version of the ACC. Personally, I think having cortosis is absolute crap.

1) "It makes things fair between a DJM and anyone below DJK." Well, technically, nothing should be fair between a DJM and anyone. If you have an advantage, you're going to press it to the full advantage. Also, if you're below DJM and choosing to fight a DJM, it's because you know it's not fair, and you either want to test yourself, or earn the DJM's favor, or whatever else. In any event, using cortosis to "make things fair" doesn't even do that. Lightsabers cut through pretty much anything; live with it. It's possible not to have your weapon destroyed; don't parry with your weapon, learn to dodge and duck more, and call foul play if you make that habit, and someone else writes you out of form, and destroys your weapons. Just an example.

2) "It's rare." Yeah, duh. It's rare. Yes, there may be ways to get it, but the fact is, you have to have the contacts, the cash/resources to purchase it with, and honestly, not "everyone" has that kind of access. It's restricted to enforce that, and if it were me, I'd probably deny it outright except as a prize for winning some kind of ACC competition, or Order War, or whatever. That way, you know what you have to do to get it, and it makes it extremely difficult for people to get it. Want it? Work for it, and be the best, show your skills off, and be recognized for it.

3) "What other alternatives are there?" Well, for one, there are "lightsaber-resistant" weapons. Sithswords are the most well-known, but there are other weapons that are created, or imbued with the Dark Side that have the ability to withstand the impact of a lightsaber. If you fancy that, I would be asking the CM for opportunities to earn/use one of these, or perhaps even talk to, say the Dark Council, about why we don't have competitions to earn stuff like this for official possession stuff, and whatnot, and when will they do something like this? (FYI, I actually would like to do something like this, which is why I mention it; stay tuned).

Another option is, "Hey, so-and-so. I challenge you to a duel. Yes, I could challenge you to open combat, anything goes, but I'd like to see how you fight on my standards. We'll fight like [name your terms here]. Do you accept, or do you deny it like a coward [or some other suitable insult]?" To which a suitably evil answer would be, "Worm, I defy your very presence, and I will kill you where you stand! [Force Lightning, dead junior, fun evil stuff." See, wouldn't that be fun? :)

Macron Sadow

23-10-2005 20:09:37

That's an interesting idea about the comps, BF. Hmmm.... if I can help let me know.

Lorien if you check out the last DV it has my cortosis article in it, which all comes from canon sources. It is terribly rare, the only known "Modern" SW types to even be rumored to have it was the Emperor, and the Jensaari.

Jaymz

25-10-2005 09:52:34

Shouldn't Journeymen who are restricted from lightsabers be aloud to use a Cortosis weapon. Yes it does take away from the lightsaber but c'mon thats such a one sided fight if a DJK with a lightsaber is going against a Novice. Or even in a qualification match if one is a Nov and the other was a Dark Side Adept, wouldn't it be fair to give a Journeymen the Cortosis so they COULD fight against someone with a lightsaber. Besides its a minor obstacle that someone at a rank high enough to wield a lightsaber should be able to overcome in a matter of minutes of thought. I think it should be mandatory. You talk of rarity and things like that. There are close to a thousand active members in the Dark Brotherhood right now, I'd say near half of them have lightsabers and the other half don't. But to make up for that, some people have duel lightsabers. If you think Cortosis is rare, where are you getting the crystals + other material to make lightsabers. Sure you can get some but near 700 - 900 lightsabers with each of them taking about 3 crystals each.

Macron Sadow

25-10-2005 10:12:50

I couldn't resist.

Jaymz, there are enough crystal sources to easily supply that number. The Jedi mined them from Ossus and Ruusan historically, and later Ilum in the Adega system. Other known sources are Dantooine and Korriban.
How many crystals do you think a whole planet could hold, even if only a small percentage are usable as power crystals?

Not to mention, synthetic ones can be created to power red saber blades as well. That is a virtually limitless supply.

Lech

25-10-2005 11:16:01

You also must understand that while you participate in a battle in the ACC whether it be for fun or for a competition, the result of the match is not what determines who actually wins the battle.

For example, a novice gets his butt smeared across the pavement by an adept, but the novice wins and advances in an ACC ladder match. Why? Because the writing style of the novice was more descriptive and realistic than the adept's was.

The point of the battles not being even is that as a young member, you have to learn to respect more powerful jedi than yourself. You, unfortunately, have to constanly write about yourself getting the crap kicked out of you until you rise up i the ranks. Isn't it fun?

Sith Bloodfyre

25-10-2005 11:43:34

Veyr nicely put, Lech. i think people forget; you don't have to "win" to win the battle. I think too many people get stuck on that. It's not actually realistic for a Novice to beat a Dark Side Adept. To be honest, it's not realistic for a Novice to beat a Dark Jedi Knight. Cortosis is extremely rare; lightsaber crystals are not, especially when they can be synthetically made.

Blah blah, blah blah, blah, the best thing for people to do is not debate "what's fair," but to practice with "what will win." A Novice using cortosis to somehow manage to pull off a win against a Dark Jedi Master wielding dual lightsabers is crap; the DJM would blow him/her away with Force Powers, if nothing else. A Novice writing about getting stomped by a DJM and being taught a valuable lesson about not underestimating the power of the Force and such... that could be a good match, and win you the fight.

Cortosis sucks, plain and simple. It's not about who wins in the fiction, it's about who writes better and wins the fight.

Lorien Sinclair

25-10-2005 14:27:49

The only reson I asked was not as to level the playing field between a lightsaber-wielding participant an' a participant without a 'saber, but to simply ask what is in my original post: had the idea been tossed around to grant cortosis-based weapons amongst the higher echelons of the DB?

An' for the record, I'm one who believes that the details of the battle decide the victor - that is, who puts more effort into it.

That said, someone close this topic. It was taken WAY off course.

Dalthid

25-10-2005 17:40:27

To answer your question, Lorien - No... it has not been looked into to allow Cortosis to the higher eschelons in the ACC. In fact, in the ACC, Cortosis will probably be altogether banned when rebirth comes - with the ONLY exception being ACC Armory Weapons. However, I do not speak of it's use in the rest of the DB - I have no idea what they're doing with that, it doesn't apply to us.

The reasons for this possible banning are primarily because of information: while one may look and find a lot of info on the ore and it's use - someone else can scan equally "canon" material that contradicts all of that prior info - there's nothing consistent. Because of that - the ACC's practice is to combine as much of the information as we can and compile it into something we can use - the problem with that is that most people aren't willing to conceed the severe weaknesses of the ore - they just want the strengths - that's garbage :)

Then of course, there's some other junk about sabre-resistant weapons - but those questions should be feilded by either myself or Halcyon because of the resources we use to deem viability. Unfortunately, though it was mentioned - a "Sith Sword" can be found nowhere in our primary source material... so, it can block a sabre about as much as a well placed fart :) But I'm rambling...

Tarax Kor

25-10-2005 20:41:29

Then of course, there's some other junk about sabre-resistant weapons - but those questions should be feilded by either myself or Halcyon because of the resources we use to deem viability.

Well, there's the whole line of swords from the KotOR game. I doubt they were specifically cortosis-lined. Do they check out as 'official', though?

Unfortunately, though it was mentioned - a "Sith Sword" can be found nowhere in our primary source material... so, it can block a sabre about as much as a well placed fart

I've had some toxic and deadly ones. Nothing fatal, but just about. :)

Halcyon

25-10-2005 22:08:49

For something to be "official" we need to corraborate it with more than one source...so just because it says something in a game doesn't make it official

Mike Halcyon

26-10-2005 05:04:48

The old Tales of the Jedi Companion WEG sourcebook has Sith swords, too - they were Dark Side powered artifacts - like Dalthid had stated before.

And to all you Cortosis-lovers out there: Get up in the ranks and a lightsaber. It's nice to see you're greedy and power-hungry and all that, and I'm sure you will make a good Dark Jedi some time, but the fact is: Unless you are DJK or above, you can't do [Expletive Deleted]. This is specifically wanted. So quit crying and try to get promoted.

Don't ask what the Brotherhood can do for you, ask what you can do for the Brotherhood.

Dalthid

26-10-2005 06:51:50

That's just it - games and sourcebooks are not viable resources in themselves. If they were, A LOT more cool crap would be allowed/used. The problem is, we have to be able to "research" information with what is available online - i.e. a resource that those already online can look up without buying anything else.

In addition to that, the resource has to be viable. The games, especially the KOTOR's are not because everyone know's that the weapons were created with the intent of getting the NPC's on a more challenging playing feild, but the information isn't supported apart from the games for the most part.

I like MH's stance - get a sabre and/or learn how to write :)

Jaymz

27-10-2005 09:36:32

I am not for Cortosis to level the playing field. Cortosis couldn't level the playing field because it is but a weapon and nothing could compare to the mind of an Adept.

Dalthid

27-10-2005 17:14:42

sh*t... someone get me my taller boots - it's getting DEEP in here :P

Ktulu Xyler

28-10-2005 17:38:31

Wow....how quick some are to change their stance on the topic when faced against so much opposition :P

Anyways at one time I too wondered if Cortosis would be allowed. However not that I'm somewhat of a seasoned vet in the ACC I too see how everything is better off without the ore.

Sith swords? No viable resources? Maybe. Could be true for all I know. I don't go out searching for canon like this. Well at least not anymore :P

Sith Sorcery/Alchemy? Why not utilise what we do have as Dark Jedi in the Brotherhood?
Have the council create a force powered weapon and put it up for grabs in a comp like BF said. We're always creating new stuff in the DB why just do the same with the weapons? Of course those too would be held to a limit as I doubt the council or the GM for that matter would want too many ppl that have uber weapons rise up against them :P

Thats my half a credit. though I should mention since a while back I heard someone saying it would be nice to bring Sith Alchemy back to the table.

Sith Bloodfyre

28-10-2005 18:29:59

1) Yep, I would like to have comps in the ACC, or otherwise, to give away Sith swords and such. Currently, the Order Leaders, Jac and Kir are discussing something to this effect. No more info available right now, but needless to say, it's in the works.

2) Yep, Sith Alchemy will be "coming back," along with other powers. Order Schools -- gotta love 'em. You'll see more about the Sith Order School (the base one, run by whomever is SHW at the time) in the Sith War (2006) which should be starting, as I've mentioned many times, in either January or February.

3) Someone Kill Dalthid and Halc, and make me the Combat Master in a bloody coup, and I'll promote you all to Dark Jedi Badasses, the most awesome, unholy, powerfullest people around. Serious. I mean it. Go, run off and do my bidding now, children of the night!

Halcyon

28-10-2005 22:28:16

Too scared to do your own dirty work, BF? :P

Dalthid

29-10-2005 08:20:11

I'm all for comps like that, as long as the "giving away" of such items is moderated. Right now, we're on the 4th comp of the ACC that potentially "gives out" cortosis based weapons - so adding a Sith Sword or two (with the sabre blocking ability) wouldn't be any big jump. Hell, if you just send me a good write up of the weapon, BF, I'll throw it into the ACC Armory right now and make it available for such competitions... there's no need to 'wait" on that :)

On the same note though, there's a lot of stuff that will be available to members that just won't transfer into the ACC because of the way it's used in an RPG campaign. In fact, I think Kaiann was working on a way of incorporating Cortosis - determining costs and usage last time I heard. But, like the rest of it, we'll just have to wait and see. There will be a lot of determining what can and can't be used in the ACC, we'll try to incorporate all we can for fiction purposes - conjecture aside - there will still be stuff that won't "cross over", it's just the nature of the platform.

Sith Bloodfyre

29-10-2005 15:11:29

I still think giving out cortosis is cheap and messed up. And Dalthid, remember that email I sent to you about the possibility of using the ACC in the Sith War I'll be running? ;) That's most likely going to be the first chance for anyone to earn a Sith sword.

Anonymous

29-10-2005 15:16:35

/signed...

although i have asked why people cant use cortosis i came to understand that its not good for the game...

So BF whens this Sith War?

Tarax Kor

29-10-2005 15:34:39

So BF whens this Sith War?

He said that, like... 10 times in different posts/news articles. >.<

Starting either January of February.

Sith Bloodfyre

29-10-2005 16:01:47

Heh. Mad props on the avatar Tyren. That's great.

Tarax Kor

30-10-2005 19:01:33

Just my two cents for future pro-Cortosis arguments:

It ain't happening, battles not meant to be fair, learn to write. deal with it.

Oh, and Khobs pwnzz0rz.=p