Compendium

Kir

01-02-2005 09:40:13

This topic came up on the SA board where Spears was asking for suggestions on new courses, and I thought it would be better placed here. Someone suggested the the SA create a how-to course to help new members go through the process of joining and fighting in the ACC. I thought it would be easier and probably more appropriate if there was just a link added on the ACC page that said like, "For Noobs" or something :P

It could contain a set of instructions on how to go through the joining process. From filling out the character sheet and getting it approved, to fighting your qualifying match, and finally how to challenge people normally and play in ladders and other stuff.

Thoughts?

Halcyon

01-02-2005 10:37:49

That probably wouldn't be too bad. There is the CS guide already which should explain how to make your CS (rules, dos and do nots, etc...) but perhaps more of an FAQ? There really isn't too much information needed to get started, but we should cover the basics

Spears

01-02-2005 12:02:34

A sheet should be drawn up somewhere for beginers to the ACC. I am more then happy to have it in here then in my space, I have enough going on :P But an FAQ of sorts with some examples of a good post and a bad post, and why a post is good or bad. Also a list of commonly made mistakes. ect ect ect.

Nekura Manji

01-02-2005 14:13:26

And a step-by-step guide on where to start, 'cos the ACC is probably pretty daunting for total n00bs... just telling them how to get started and how to qualify, that sort of thing. Sounds good- I like the idea.

Sunflash

01-02-2005 18:12:45

Yeah when I first started not to long ago I was sooooooo confused about how u win a match and such. Also, we should make a faq telling pointers for who u should challenge and why. Oh, and we need to tell nOOb's why the dex and so forth are there. I have battled people where they completely ingnore your stats. Other than that everything is pretty good.

Dalthid

02-02-2005 08:15:21

That's something I have had done for a long time, it was on my ACC Tips and Tricks page... It will be instituted in the Compendium update, so not to worry.

As for good posts and bad posts, winning a battle and stuff like that - a) that's what training is for but most combatants ignore what the Operators tell them, B) there are HUNDREDS of battles that can be read - even one that was done by Lenz and I that was BLATANTLY done with the purpose of showing you how NOT to do it and c) most folks who lose repeatedly (no names) keep losing because they don't read the judge's comments. If the judge's comments are lacking in explaination they don't even bother to ask, they just chalk up ANOTHER loss and press on...

So, FAQ's/Procedures pertaining to actually getting a challenge going are done, they just need to be put up - but an FAQ on how to fight will not be addressed because there is PLENTY of information already there - it just requires you to look.

Arania

02-02-2005 08:21:25

And unfortunately, even if they listen to the trainers/judges in their qualification fight, they often seem to believe the same values do not count for real battles once they are qualified. Very frustrating.

Maybe people should only be able to join the ACC from GRD up so they will at least know what the heck they are doing.

Are the permenent INIs going to be cleared out of the roster sometime?

Alanna

02-02-2005 08:23:03

In response to Dal's post: I would actually dispute that a bit. Yes, useful example battles are there, but for a newbie to actually find them, they'll probably have to wade through hundreds of posts to find the relevant ones. I didn't know that you and Lenz had done a 'silly mistakes' battle, and I wouldn't know where to find it.

It might be a good idea to have a specific section in the archives where 'useful tuition' battles could be kept (maybe with comments on each one drawing out the important teaching points).

Also, even if you highlight a particularly useful battle, there are many people who won't want to wade through a 6+2 fight (for instance) just for an example of why you shouldn't play the hero (for instance). Much better to have a short bullet point list with brief examples, and then links to 6+2 battles which people can go and read if they have time.

I do agree, however, that judge's comments are often ignored.

(And what happened to b in your post? :P)

Nekura Manji

03-02-2005 04:03:25

Arania: Yes, at the moment we're looking at trying to get the INI's to do their qualification battles and move up to Seeker. So a project is underway to do something about clearing the permanent INI's out of the roster. :)

Dalthid

03-02-2005 06:17:35

NO! - we can't just 'eliminate' INI's from the roster... that is going a bit too far. If someone wants to have a CS, but never fight... there's nothing I can do about it...yet.

YES! - Nekura is heading up a 'personal contact' project where I have him actually going through the roster and mailing the INI's directly and inviting them to Qualify.

He's also getting me a list of folks whose CS's are attached to Rogue members and those who reply to him with a "no" for the invitation.

After I get some hard numbers, THEN I will look at what the best course of action is. I'm thinking about putting a time limit on being an Initiate... 3 months, lets say. In that time you can qualify and train... but if you haven't qualified by then (again, 3 month is an example...) your CS gets trashed.

In those situations the INI can't fight anywhere where they have a win/loss count yet, so they wouldn't be losing anything. Even "Vendetta" ranks shouldn't be tallying either... so killing the CS at the end of a Vendetta should not pose a problem to the 10 year INI veteran :)