Question

Adien Falaut

11-01-2007 15:36:26

With 50% of both EaW games being tactical space combat. would it be fair to say that among the new generation of Star Wars games would EaW be a Sith game? Any views are welcome I realize that now days everything is pretty much multi ordered but I was just thinking about that and wondered what others of you thought.

Werdna Elbee

11-01-2007 15:52:05

I think Order Platforms are dead.

RevengeX

11-01-2007 15:54:51

In my opinion, EaW wouldn't be in any Order "category." Krath had writing, Obelisk had FPS games, Sith had flight sims. Where would EaW fall?

(P.S. I don't think that calling it a "Sith" game or any other Order game would matter since order restrictions have been done away with now.)

Adien Falaut

11-01-2007 16:08:11

I think Order Platforms are dead.

In my opinion, EaW wouldn't be in any Order "category."  Krath had writing, Obelisk had FPS games, Sith had flight sims.  Where would EaW fall?

(P.S. I don't think that calling it a "Sith" game or any other Order game would matter since order restrictions have been done away with now.)

I realize that now days everything is pretty much multi ordered, but I was just thinking about that and wondered what others of you thought "Using the order based past as a referance." Was mearly a metaphor. EaW, command and conquer, and etc are RTS games. My thought was mearly the referance to the strategy end of the game play itself. I'm sorry if I worded that wrong and it was missunderstood.

Andan Taldrya Marshall

11-01-2007 17:43:44

You say that 50% of EaW is space combat, but what is the other 50%? If it's ground combat then EaW can't just be a Sith game. If that is the case, then it would be a 50% Sith and 50% Obelisk game.

It's a moot point, however, because order restrictions were lifted a few years ago. People need to stop thinking about specific activities 'belonging' to a certain order; all activity is for everyone now.

Adien Falaut

11-01-2007 19:51:33

You say that 50% of EaW is space combat, but what is the other 50%?  If it's ground combat then EaW can't just be a Sith game.  If that is the case, then it would be a 50% Sith and 50% Obelisk game.

It's a moot point, however, because order restrictions were lifted a few years ago.  People need to  stop thinking about specific activities 'belonging' to a certain order; all activity is for everyone now.

That's a good point! I was just wondering where it would have fallen into. That probably was why the restrictions were lifted in the first place however that is way before my time

Andan Taldrya Marshall

11-01-2007 20:23:38

There were a number of rasons, one of the main ones being a lack of space flight sims for the Sith to play. XWA was about 5 years old at that point and its popularity was dying out. Without any space flight sims, the Sith were SOL. We tried RTS for a bit but it never really caught on (again, mainly due to lack of games), so the entire DB went to open platform.

Adien Falaut

12-01-2007 11:53:06

that clears up a-lot on pondering... thanks hmmmmmm. trying to think of RTS platforms a few years back StarCraft and C&C are the only ones that come to mind and I can see why that didn't catch on. I've played a bit of XWA the first thing I noticed beyond having to go though so much to find it was the poor multiplayer connection other than that the game play was challenging beside the point I know :P Thanks for answering that again I was wondering about that since I started playing EaW

Andan Taldrya Marshall

12-01-2007 13:12:09

They aren't SW games. The DB was/is a Star Wars club that games rather then a gaming club that also likes Star Wars. There were some good RTSs out around that time, but they didn't fit with the overall feel of the club. If EaW, RC and the games like that had come out back when this was a relivent question, we'd probably still be using order platforms and the Sith would be using RTS games.

StarLion

17-01-2007 10:32:08

If you want to use the historical models: It wouldn't, technically, fall into any one order's perview. At best, i'd say it falls under the Krath (being that it's a strategy-based game), rather than the historical Sith or Obelisk; EaW is never a flight sim. You dont take control of a craft from the cockpit and fly it around. You move a fleet. Likewise, in the 'ground' portion, you command an army, not hold the gun and aim yourself. And then you have to contend with the non-combat phases, which fall to neither the Sith nor Obelisk.

Zeron

17-01-2007 15:41:46

Its a Sith/Obelisk. Sith in the space, obbie in the ground. Kraths? they do the researches and upgrades ;)

StarLion

17-01-2007 17:04:40

Which... would be 1/3 of the game...cause without those researches an upgrades, you got squat to fight with :P

Again, using the classic models, the Sith were flight-sim gamers. There's no flight-sim here. Obelisk were FPS, there's no FPS here either. Krath did writing and such... not really any of that either; so as i said in my first post, it really doesnt fit any of the classical orders.

Andan Taldrya Marshall

17-01-2007 22:52:04

RTS aren't Sith games in the classical sense, no, but when the flight sim games started to dry up the focus of the order could have been switched to RTS games. It would have taken some fictional changes such as making the Sith into more of the commanders of the army/navy rather then the pilots, but it could have been done if we'd had the games to do it back then.

StarLion

18-01-2007 08:44:58

I didnt say it couldnt be without changes, it could have been any of the orders' with some fictional changes. The original question was to use the order-based past as a reference. In the order-based past, no one order would have a clear claim to it.

Scott Nightwalker

30-05-2007 08:33:00

Anyway. I think about buying this game. Either this or Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds.

Zeron

30-05-2007 09:23:44

i suggest this if you have the hardware for it :)

Makurth Mandalore

31-05-2007 01:46:53

Yeah, I agree with Zeron. I tried battlegrounds and I didn't like it too much.

Kal

07-10-2008 17:06:16

Personally, while specifying the "Order" of something is pointless at present, I agree that EaW does have a more Sith feel, both the land and air portions. You aren't writing out a battle like a Krath, or smacking/shooting someone else in the face. You're commanding an army.

Just read the wiki. Sith are the true warlords, the Generals and Admirals rather than the soldiers. Hell, the leader of the Brotherhood is the Dark Lord of the Sith. What's the downside? Well, you don't see very many foot soldiers and librarians being brutally assassinated and replaced in their position, and we all know an Obelisk against a Sith one-on-one usually favours the Obelisk(Hence why the Elders are above their Orders). Hence, the Sith give orders and the Obelisk wtfpwn everyone else on the battlefield.