Project Balvarine

Lokasena

09-06-2009 04:05:43

Lenroth, Taruma.
The Kr’tal system.

“You turn tonight, Jennice!” Melron Yaxid said to his friend, Jolan Troasu Jennice, as he handed him the power torch and old blaster rifle.

“Hell no… I was on patrol last night. Send Kamall or something.” Jennice replied as he leaned back even further into his arm chair.

“Don’t tell me who to send, you lazy nerf. Now take the equipment and do your round. If the forest is calm you can come back in an hour an relax all you want.” Yaxid said and chuckled.

Jennice let out a deep sigh and got up from his chair. “Fine, fine… you change the batteries on this?” he asked while taking the torch from his friend.

“I said I would, and I did. And there’s a fresh power cell on this puppy too.” Yaxid handed Jennice the rifle. “So no excuses for not coming back safely.”

“Ah, I didn’t know you cared.” The two young men stood there for a moment then both laughed. “Okay, I’m off then.” Jennice stepped out the door of the small cabin and entered the clear night air. The sky was filled with stars and Oyonea was full. The cabin was only twenty meters away from the forest line and the young man began his patrol of the area immediately. Everything had been calm for two years, but for some reason, the Ektrosian Jedi kept encouraging the village to remain vigilant.
Now there had been some reports of animal cadavers found closer to the forest edge that usual, but this was probably due to some predator expanding its territory. It would settle down, eventually.
Patrol at night was boring, but the amazing scenery that could be seen at a clear night like this, made it a bit more bearable. Jennice shone his torch over at the shrubs on the threshold of the forest. Not so much as a rustle in the leaves. He was out for about an hour when he decided all was calm and started to head back. He looked up at the Taruman moon Oyonea and smiled at its pale beauty, thinking of how he would enjoy an tall glass of ale with his friend, when he got back to the cabin.

Then, a sound. A strange sound… Something that Jennice did not immediately recognise. It wasn’t a feral. The sound was too low in timbre. This was more like a howl. Jolan Jennice knew all the species of animal that lived in these part, but this left him puzzled and caused an irrational chill to run up his spine. He started to walk a little faster, wanting to get to the cabin and tell Melron about it. He heard another howl, closer this time. What ever it was, it was certainly fast and moving closer.
Jennice was not a soldier or warrior, he was a volunteer and had no desire to get eaten by some wild thing on a stupid night patrol. He started to run, faster and faster. As fast as his legs would carry him over the moist grass. Another howl, this time further away. Jennice registered it, but did not slow down in his running. Better safe than sorry…

After a long sprint he could see the lights of the cabin he so desperately wanted to get to. His inertia threw him into the door as he quickly grappled at the handle to open it. He hurried inside and locked the door behind him. There he stood now, breathing heavy with his back against the door, looking up at the ceiling to catch his breath.

“By the Gods, Melron, that place is getting spooky.” He said under his heavy breath. “Did you hear that horrible howling just a minu_” Jolan Jennice stopped talking as his eyes fell on his friend. Or rather, what was left of his friend. The walls of the cabin were covered in red splashes, even the inside of the door, he noticed as he saw the blood on his own hands. He looked back to his friend. Melron’s body was severely mutilated. Deep gashes on his torso, arms and face as if someone had slashed at him with a huge knife. The left side of the young man’s throat was completely gone, exposing all the arteries and even part of his neck vertebrae.
Jolan just stood there, until the horror and the smell took hold. A foul grimace formed on his face as he opened the door and stepped out. He fell to his knees and could no longer restrain his stomach from giving up his late dinner. After the gurgling and coughing had stopped, Jolan got up and whispered softly. “Help, somebody…” He looked at the cabin, through the open door at the pale flesh of his friend as it was being lit by the cabin lamps. The blood a dirty crimson that stained the purity of his friend. “Help, please…” this time louder, and louder. “Somebody, HELP!!!”

Library of Lears.
Silah, Taruma.

Krath Epis Bubbles shook her head. “Fourteen?”

“That’s right!” Aedile Vodo Biask said.

“And these were animal attacks? I mean, all of them?”

Vodo nodded. “The summit is concerned about this, Bubbles. We’ve always managed to walk the thin line between order and chaos on this planet. Its richness and splendour of recourses come at a price. It is imperative that we live in harmony with the native wildlife. The people of Lenroth are striking and staying in their houses. We need that work force.”

“Look, I know this is important. But can’t the local civilian population take care of it? I’m not a dog catcher or zoo keeper. Although the behaviour of some of new recruits of Ektrosis may suggest so.”

“Bubbs, I need you on this. I promised the brass hats a quick and effective solution, and my best people on the job. Gather Phoenix, and talk to Sena. He was responsible for the cataloguing of most of the wildlife on Taruma. His expertise will help you identify the attackers and make it easier to solve this.” Vodo smiled and patted the Epis on the shoulder. “Besides, if the civilians know that Phoenix is on the case, maybe they’ll start working again, before we run out of food.”

“Okay, fine… I’ll go to Lenroth and show the Phoenix flag. But if this is nothing more than a feral with hormone problems, I want that extra reward.”

Vodo’s eyes widened. “What did you have in mind?”

“Well, I can’t speak for the boys, but Lannie, Asani and I could use a spa weekend.”

The Aedile smiled. “Done!”

Asani Vosa

11-06-2009 04:04:57

The door chime rang just as Asani was stepping out of the shower. She had deliberately chosen for a water shower instead of a sonic one. She liked the water, but it was a bit unhandy right now. Quickly she threw a towel around herself and answered the door.

As the two panels slid to either side, they revealed the face of her Tetrarch, Bubbles. Asani immediately straightened herself and tried to look respectful, water still dripping from a red strain of hair in front of her eyes.

“Get dressed, miss Vosa.” Bubbles said while suppressing a smile. “Phoenix has a new mission and we need all our members ready to leave in two hours.”
“Leave? Where are we going?” Asani asked wide eyed. She was a pilot and such information was always handy.
“Don’t worry, we don’t have to leave the planet this time. Just pack up your weapons and meet us at the great hall of the Library.”
“yes, Bubbles. At once!” she replied.

Bubbles turned away and the door closed. Not leave the planet? So there’s trouble on Taruma? It was not useful to ask these questions now. She’d find out eventually.
She threw off the towel as she walked to her closet. She her legs slipped in to some baggy pants and put on a tight red top. She grabbed her black hiking boots, because they would probably have to walk quite a bit. Then she clasped the armoury saber on her belt and concealed a small blaster on the small of her back. She was ready…

Bubbles

11-06-2009 10:47:34

Bubbs grinned to herself as she walked away from Asani's quarters, the young Jedi Hunter reminded her of a young Alanna, tho she couldn't be sure that wasn't just the red hair...hanging a left, she headed towards the quarters of James Stargazer, one of her other young Tyros. While there was nothing wrong with the intercom system, Bubbs liked the element of surprise that a visit from their Tetrach gave the Tyros, especially the newer recruits, Bubbs thought it made an excellent opportunity to learn who they really were, rather than just who they tried to portray; and while protocol might have dictated that she should inform the more senior members of the Phyle about their mission first, Bubbs had little doubt that by the time she had found James and Quin, that Sena and Alanna would be prepped and ready to move out.

She paused outside James' door, a flood of possible scenarios playing through her mind, doing her best to hide the feeling of amusement, she knocked, and waited for the reply.

Sidarace

12-06-2009 13:07:27

The unknown and newly appointed Quaestor of Ektrosis marched down the vacant corridor of the Library of Lears. Many were the days of late had Shaz'air spent reading the texts of the ancient house's ways and traditions; the many times they were put up to an army that had to be put down by the might hand of Ektrosis and the leaders that led the house through such trials. His brother had left a strong mark of honor on the dark Jedi of Ektrosis; the sudden betrayal to the light side and the inevitable duel with his master, Vodo Biask, left a thought of uncertainty in the members of the house. And uncertainty Shaz'air knew he would pay for.

The faint clap of boots on the hard floor rang through the corridor as the tall image of Ektrosis' Aedile Vodo made its way into the light of Rathden's torch, his lekku shifting slightly as he neared. Shaz'air did not slow his pace, keeping with his long struts Vodo did not make to realize how fast the Quaestor was really going as they whipped past statue after statue with ease.

"Have they been warned, my friend?" The Quaestor shot a questioning stare at his predecessor, his partially blind eyes trying to read the facial expressions of the trial hardened Twi'lek. "

"I have... My lord," He struggled to make out the last words but continued on. "Phoenix's Tetrarch has already begun rounding up her Tyros. It will not be long before they arrive." He ended abruptly and closed his eyes for a moment, then opening them he looked at Shaz'air, who in urn spoke, "Yes, I feel it too. These beasts, whether they have rational thoughts or not, have a heavy burden to pay for dissrupting our peace on Taruma. It is suprising to me that the people of this world have put up with the ways of these, 'Dark Jedi' for so long." The Templar let the last sentence carry on through the library as they stepped onto the large steps at the entrance.

Below, the Krath Priest climbed his way up to the steps, stopping half way he shot the Miraluka a skeptical glare, nodding in reassurance to Vodo he stated, "Even for a Corvinus, these are troubling facts to hear. Any more news on what could be causing these attacks?" His voice remained respectful and in check of his superiors.

Vodo took a glance over at the Templar who opened his mouth to speak. Many of the dark Jedi in Ektrosis had still yet to get to know Shaz'air as Vodo had, and they were not clear on how to act around him. Before the Quaestor let out a word, the elder Krath spoke up, "None, unfortunately. I have been checking every hour for an update. All is quiet."

The two stopped and looked at the Obelisk standing before them as if waiting for him to say something. Silence crept across the three, "Lets carry on, shall we?" With an outstretched hand Shaz'air began to ascended the stairs as two more Tyros waited at the bottom.

Bubbles

15-06-2009 02:53:21

Bubbles nodded to herself as she entered the hall where the Phyle had gathered to be briefed. All her Tyros looking to be well-equipped as she scanned their baggage. Lannie travelled light as ever, but Bubbs had no doubt there was a cookie or two secreted somewhere on her person; the younger Tyros possibly slightly over-prepared, but that was no bad thing in her eyes. Looking over the Phyle she felt a slight pang of sorrow, she had never thought she would say it, but as well as feeling the gap Erinyes had left, she actually missed Vardar. She just hoped that Asani and James knew what boots they had to fill.

Sena caught her eye and she shot him a smile in return as she crossed the short distance to where the Phyle had gathered.

"So then my friend," she said quietly, "it appears that you are going to be our expert dog-catcher for the next few days...think you're up to the job?"

The slight nod of his head indicated the affirmative, "You never know Bubbs, this could be fun. But for now, I am just interested in what our new Quaestor has to say, have you had much of a chance to meet him yet?"

"Not so much as I would have liked. Sid never really mentioned him, so I know little of him or his ways. But for Vodo to have stepped down for him, it is all very strange. All I can imagine is that Vodo harbours more guilt for his actions than he has let on. But we will see."

Alanna

15-06-2009 17:11:09

Alanna hummed a little tune to herself as Bubbles talked to Loka about important things, and her fellow tyros tried to mask their excitement and anxiety. She had heard through her own unofficial channels that the mission might be taking them to an area of Taruma that she had not yet had an opportunity to explore, and that put her in a good mood.

She was looking forward to a bit of fresh air, and maybe a campfire. She was prepared for a campfire; lots of matches, a couple of long sticks, marshmallows to stick on the sticks and melt so that they could be squished between two cookies...

"Lannie...? Is anyone in there...?" Bubbles was waving a hand infront of her face.

"Oh, hi. Sorry. I was... debating the finer points of the nature of the Force."

"Yeah, right. You were thinking about cookies again, weren't you?" As Alanna opened her mouth to give a witty reposte, Bubbles shook her head. "It doesn't matter. I just wanted to say thanks for coming on this mission with us. I know you have all sorts of important things to do, but it's really good for the other tyros to feel part of a team, and to have the opportunity to work with equites and elders. Plus, with Erin and Var gone, who else do I have to tease?"

Alanna grinned. "No problem, babe. You know me, I like working with the new kids... and I've brought marshmallows!" she finished in a whisper, as a hush settled over the room, signalling the arrival of Shaz'air and Vodo.

Lokasena

16-06-2009 03:44:57

Shaz’air stood before them, Vodo at his side.
“Okay, people. Now listen up!” his tone quite strict. “I want this to go smooth and by the numbers. Last thing we need is new getting out of Ektrosis not even able to handle problems on their own planet. Recent information does seem to suggest that these are animal attack, but I want you to be ready for anything, is that clear?”

A brief “Yes, sir!” was called out by all.

“Very well.” Shaz’air continued. “There’s a hopper waiting outside. I couldn’t spare a pilot, so you’ll have to pilot it yourself.” He said, eyeing Asani. The young girl seemed to immediately tighten all muscles. “Good luck, people.” He said finally and turned away without another word.

Bubbles turned around and took over. “Okay Ladies and Gents, you heard the man and you know the drill. So lets get moving, shall we!?”

The motley crew that made up Phoenix made it’s way out of the Library to see their transport. It was a small hopper, but would easily fit them all inside. The stepped in the side of the craft and Asani made her way to the cockpit. She sat in the chair and strapped herself down. Then she flicked some switches and a low engine hum could be heard.

The others were making themselves comfortable in the back, it would be a trip of about twenty minutes, so that warranted relaxing a bit. Lokasena went through his robes and pulled out a small data-crystal.

“Miss Vosa, if you would be so kind…” Asani turned her head just in time to see the crystal come flying at her. She caught it and examined it for a second. With no objection coming from the others, she fitted the crystal in the designated reader and pressed the button below it.
Within seconds, the internal speakers were pouring forth a medley of loud sounds. Everybody except Sena frowned for a moment, as they tried to figure out who “Long Tall Sally” was, and what she was doing to somebody’s uncle John.

Bubbles leaned forward. “What is that noise?” She asked loudly.

“Those are the immortal tunes of mister Richard Wayne Pennyman, just sit back and enjoy!”

The hopper lifted off without so much as a rumble, due to smooth new engines and a capable pilot. Off to the lair of the Beast they were…

Bubbles

22-06-2009 02:52:05

Bubbs settled back into the relative discomfort of the seat, trying to block the hideous racket that Sena seemed to class as music from her mind. Dealing with the threat of Light Jedi on Antei had been far easier, she mused to herself, barely noticing the shuttle take off.

Looking up, she caught a glimpse of the slightest smirk on Sena's face, not enough for most to notice, but it was there nonetheless. She raised an eyebrow, started to say something sarcastic, but decided ignoring him was a far better option.

"Asani," she called out over the din, "would you mind turning that delightful music down a little..." she paused as Asani lowered the volume to a little more than a whisper, "Thank you. Now, we've not really worked together as a team before. So perhaps a little planning is in order. These animal attacks, what do we know about them, and any ideas where we should be starting to investigate? Sena, I know you're our expert here for the day, what could we be looking at?"

Lokasena

29-06-2009 13:55:15

"From what I heard, the attacks are viscious enough to be Feral. But Feral almost never go near our setlements. Plus the wounds on the victim indicate that it was a much larger creature. I am not familiar with any such animal that live on Taruma."
Lokasena thought deep. He had drafted the orginal record of indigenous species to Taruma, and he had yet to find an animal which could make such wounds.
"I suggest that we spread out, once we arrive at our destination. I will invetigate the bodies and the rest could question the locals about anything they may have heard. You might even comb part of the surrounding woods, looking for clues."
It made sense...

"Very well..." Bubbles said. "But Alanna will go with you..." she trusted Sena, but two knew more than one.

"As you wish." sena replied and nodded slightly.

It was quiet for a moment. then Asani's voice was heard. "ETA, two minutes!"

"And about time..." Sena mused.

Vodo

01-07-2009 00:31:26

Sena felt a vibration on his waist, his comlink. Reaching for it, the device was activated before he opened his mouth to speak, "Corvinus here".

"This is Aedile Biask. Corvinus, I have pressing matters to deal with. Sadowans have been detected surveying the Rybanloth System. Send my regards to Phoenix, but I will unable to accompany you on this mission."

The Priest was at once relieved and dissapointed, "I understand Master Biask. Please send mu regards to our guests."

A slight click indicated the line had gone dead. He would return to the matter at hand.