House Politics

Lokasena

05-01-2009 05:35:03

I open this topic in the hope that it can be used as a sort of open debate forum. I’m certain this sort of thing will be usefull.

Outtake from Phoenix thread.

“I find it hard to believe anyone could do a good job as BTL with a team of three members, one of which is an old-time member that is rarely active and, of course, one being the leader himself.

The entire Summit agreed that the current state of the BTs and BTLs made it necessary to enact a change to make them actually matter in the grand scheme of things. The requirements are not exactly taxing and it would have taken little to no effort to get re-instated had you re-applied.

As for someone high up getting a reward - that rarely happens for a single idea. Summit rewarding is basically the same as member rewarding. They get recognized for extended periods of activity and for doing excellent work when seen as a whole. We don't reward on a "do something get something" basis. “
~Shadow Taldrya~

I was put in charge of Phoenix after Hex was disbanded. I did a good job in Hex, the House summit said.

Even after the BT’s of Ektrosis were dying out, I fought to keep them alive.
Still writing reports and actively recruiting members from our House.

Just because I didn’t have many active members, doesn’t mean I didn’t do my best!

But what I object to, is why the summit did not involve the BTL’s in their decision.

~Lokasena Corvinus~

Halcyon

05-01-2009 09:13:28

First off the topic of this thread is very misleading, as there are no "politics" involved here. Take it from someone who's "been there", this has nothing at all to do with politics.

As for not being "included" in the discussions...while sounding a little harsh, that is how it goes. The DB, nor are any Clans, a democracy. The reason why have these various positions and why people apply to them is to have a direct say in how things are run. If he/she so wants, the Consul doesn't have to take any advice from anyone. That is why they are given the position...the Clan is theirs to run as they see fit (so long as the GM/DGM agree).

In this case however, Shadow did seek out the advice of the rest of the Clan/House Summits...people who have been BTLs and have seen nearly every variation of Battleteams that there can be.

If you truly want a say and want to be respected and heard, this is not the forum to do it. A well thought-out e-mail to the CON/PCON detailing why you think this may or may not be a good idea will be looked at much more closely then trying to make things "public", which in most cases end up badly. If you have concrete ideas and real ways in which to improve on things, then send an e-mail with that information. Leaders in the DB who get things done don't use the forums to air out objections.

Lokasena

05-01-2009 10:06:30

If the House summit was asked, why not go that one extra step to involve the BTL's?
If I had known, I could have prepaired for the changes. I could have gotten the SA course and stayed in office. That is what the House summit wanted, because they encouraged me to take the course and re-applly.

But what is the use, tommorrow the rules might change again...?

So, on one point the positions are defended, empowered and encouraged to do as they will.
On the other, it is discouraged to criticise them publicly…

The Brotherhood is no democracy, then why pretend in SA leadership courses?
Why uphold the illusion that is important for leaders to involve their subordinates in the things they do?

Please, do not see this as riot seeking.
I’m just trying to understand the inner systems of the Brotherhood better. The Brotherhood has been around for quite a while.
For those who were not around when all these issues were decided, it may sometimes be confusing, even frustrating.

So, is the Brotherhood a place were you only count when you’re Elder or higher?
Or is it a place were everybody can say what he\she wants, as long as it is said respectfully.

I thing that leaders should be able to take a little criticism, or am I wrong in this?

Halcyon

05-01-2009 10:57:53

It is the forum in which you "criticize"...if your argument is strong enough, then do so directly. The messageboard/IRC/mailing list is never the proper forum for such things.

And changes do occur, and when they do you adapt. You may disagree with them, and even if you were to give your arguments it doesn't mean that things will change. You also have to see things on a "larger" scale. The changes were made to affect the Clan as a whole, to help better things in general. Maybe it will work? Maybe it doesn't? Time will tell..

As for who to include in these discussion...that is always up to the leaders. There are no fast or hard rules on how things are, but most Clans generally have their own ways of doing things. For the most part the bulk of the decisions are made by the Clan Summit with input from the House Summit...if you look at the rosters you will see only one "elder" on that list...however the others there have worked hard to attain the positions they are in. THis is not some sort of clique that everyone else is left out of, but they are the true "leaders" of the Clan. The DB is run by the leaders, who will try and do the best for the membership. Does it please everyone? No...there will always be those who feel left out or disagree.

You are trying to make this look like it's just the "big" people in the Clan who make all the decisions, which is very far from the truth and another reason why this is the wrong forum for such discussions. You truly want to know how things are "run", then ask people directly. You want to give suggestions or make your opinion heard? Then do so directly. To one day be a leader in this Clan, or even on the DC, it is not only your ideas or activity, but also how you react to changes and where you take your disagreements and criticisms to. You earn a lot more respect if you were to talk to people directly (in a respectful manner).

Vodo

05-01-2009 18:58:04

Those disgruntled by actions taken by either summit should take it up with their direct superior, unless you feel uncomfortable doing so, and you are then clear to move up the ladder in succession. I am not pointing any fingers, for there is no one to point at, merely making a blanket statement.

Issues dealing with the work done by the House Summit or Clan Summit should be dealt with those parties. You're leaders are there to help you deal with grievances or disputes that may arise among members or leaders. While we don't want to create an atmosphere where free thought and discussion are limited, topics like this should not be critically examined in an open forum before the issue has been dealt with between those parties involved.

Hard decisions have been made by those appointed to office in the hope to keep this Clan and House as the top dog in our Brotherhood. The House Summit follows the orders handed down to it by the Clan Summit, which acts in the best interest of the whole.

For now, this Thread is Closed.