South Park's Big Change

Kaine Mandaala

24-03-2006 11:51:42

Did anyone see the South Park episode this week about Chef? I thought it was pretty funny how they dealt with Isaac Hayes' descision on leaving the show.

***SPOILERS***

Here are a few things I got a kick out of.

- I love that they used sound clips from other shows for his voice. I noticed it very early on, when he said a line I recognized from "Anal Probe".

- I loved when the "Super Adventure Club" was explaining their philosophy, there was the disclaimer across the screen saying "This is really what the Super Adventure Club believes" -- exactly like the Scienetology epidose that caused Isaac Hayes to leave.

- I thought it was great that they offered no chance for Isaac to come back as Chef. I mean... they really did a number on him with getting set on fire, dropped from a bridge, bashing on some jagged rocks, impaled with a tree, and torn apart by a mountain lion and a bear.

Yeah they had the Darth Vader rebuild sequence but I don't think they'll ever do anything with him (Chef/Hayes) again.

Kaine Mandaala

24-03-2006 13:37:32

And a little update:

It was brought to my attention that the whole "making fun of Scientology" reason on why Isaac Hayes left the show is utter bullcrap. It appears that he suffered a mild stroke and, while he was recovering, someone from the Scientology community made up the reason and issued a press release for him.

Reports I've read say that Hayes had no intention on leaving the show, and he has a sense of humor - so the stuff really didn't bother him as much as everyone thought.

Baron Zarco

24-03-2006 15:29:31

It was said on one of the MSNBC "talk shows" last night that Hayes had been "intimidated" into adopting the statement as his own. As usual, where the "news" is concerned, the maxim "I accept everything and believe nothing" seems good counsel.

Aghasett

24-03-2006 21:01:49

And a little update:

It was brought to my attention that the whole "making fun of Scientology" reason on why Isaac Hayes left the show is utter bullcrap. It appears that he suffered a mild stroke and, while he was recovering, someone from the Scientology community made up the reason and issued a press release for him.

Reports I've read say that Hayes had no intention on leaving the show, and he has a sense of humor - so the stuff really didn't bother him as much as everyone thought.

That's a false report. Hayes didn't have a stroke, and he did in fact quit the show because of the Scientology thing.

Article:

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,18647,00.html

Sephiroth Kali

25-03-2006 19:56:17

I dont know what to believe.