Which of us are Greek?

Shadonyx

02-02-2005 21:01:59

I know of a couple of members who are Greek (as in Fraternities and Sororities) and I thought it might be cool to discuss... well, Greek issues/stuff if you have a mind to.

So I'll go first... I'm a Brother of Sigma Tau Gamma at Monmouth University, and I'm the Risk Management Chair (don't laugh :P).

Kaine Mandaala

03-02-2005 00:45:31

There were no fraternities where I went to college, and I couldn't ever join any because I don't drink nor will I participate in any sort of degrading rituals.

Mav

03-02-2005 01:02:09

There were no fraternities where I went to college, and I couldn't ever join any because I don't drink nor will I participate in any sort of degrading rituals.

My school has what they call a "service fraternity." Which is more or less like a community action organization. :P

CyberGuy

03-02-2005 05:32:18

I don't need a fraternity to get drunk and do stupid things... :) :P

Shadonyx

03-02-2005 14:42:11

Fraternities and Sororities aren't about drinking and doing "stupid things." Yes, drinking is part of the social aspect of Greek Life but it is not solely what we do. For example, my Fraternity ran two fundraisers for our national philanthropy, Books for Kids, and we earned over $200 to buy children's books. The sisters of Lambda Theta Phi (a Latin Sorority) did several hundred hours of community service. Other Fraternities and Sororities on my campus (which include Delta Phi Epsilon and Tau Kappa Epsilon) have held similar events and raised money for causes. Many Greeks also serve in varous leadership positions; in fact, the majority of the Student Government Executive Board on my campus is Greek. I am also the Vice President of Psi Chi, the National Honor Society in Psychology. Many of my Brothers hold positions elsewhere on campus, or off-campus.

I didn't make this thread to serve a bashing ground and rumor mill against Greek Life. I don't mean to sound harsh, but commenting on Greeks without having gone through the process is speaking out of ignorance. Our rituals are not degrading; they are a rite of passage. We do not pay for our Brothers or Sisters; we pay dues so that we may enjoy activities with our Brothers and Sisters. Movies like "Old School" and "Animal House" tell a very, very biased side of what Fraternities and Sororities are. I will concede that, yes, some Fraternities and Sororities do not live up to their principles and standards. However, I do see non-Greeks engage in the same unruly behavior (drinking and doing stupid things) so to chastise us for doing so is slightly hypocritical.

Shadow

05-02-2005 10:57:23

well i can definatly say i aint greek, though i wish i was there right now.

Xizor

17-02-2005 23:58:44

I'm a real Greek, does that count? :P
Oh, and about the fraternities/sororities thing to be quite honest, I've never quite heard of the term being used in ancient Greece. I think it's just an American thing.

Vithril Isradia Kunar

18-02-2005 01:37:21

I used part of a sorority (well, two members) for my own eveil purposes one nite... but they werent greek, they were from the Valley

Requite deSaiah

04-03-2005 20:16:30

They don't have fraternities/sororities in Greece? Hermm....

Shinichi Endymiron K

15-06-2005 13:51:47

We have fraternal organizations in Greece. AHEPA and the Daughters of Penelope as well as the Masons etc...

I'm a greek and a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon national Fraternity here in the states. I was VP of Membership Development, but I've been graduated since 02.