Guitar Maniacs......

Ethen

27-08-2005 19:38:47

Welcome to the thread of all things GUITARS. Now I am your main man for stuff about guitars, how to play'em, where to buy'em and where to get rid of em. Now I don't have a digital camera so I can't take a pic of my guitar, but this is a zoomed in image of the guitar I bought off the website I bought it off of.

Gibson Explorer 76' Electric Guitar

I have played in about 8 Concerts with this thing, its my baby and I love it, Almost as much as I love my fiance, but thats besides the point. I tear up the fret board on that thing with [Expletive Deleted] like Walk by Pantera and Pastor Of Muppets by Metallica

Nekura Manji

28-08-2005 05:14:24

So, you're the main man for guitars, huh?

In that case, tell me how to emulate the 'DJ-scratching' sound that Tom Morello produces on songs like 'Bulls on Parade' and 'War Within a Breath'.

And in case anyone's actually interested, I use an Ibanez Iceman with Seymour Duncan Distortion pickups installed. And a BC Rich Warlock, which I'm looking to replace at some point with an NJ Beast. As for amps- Line 6 Spider II 30 watt. Ph34r.

Macron Sadow

28-08-2005 12:16:58

Manji- I think it is a processed bit where he scrathes his pivk up and down the low A or E string.
hee hee. Used to have a 64 Gibson Melody maker, but it got stolen... *sniff*

MMm BC Rich.....

Nekura Manji

28-08-2005 14:08:39

Actually, for Bulls on Parade I'm sure he uses an Allan wrench or something like that on the strings... crazy motherf**ker :D Just scratching with the pick doesn't get you that kinda sound- I know, I've tried ^_^

64 Gibson Melody Maker? Got an image?

Ethen

28-08-2005 20:25:02

Sorry Nekura, I didn't say I knew how to do EVERYTHING. I just know alot about them I've been playing since 95. I've never heard of Bulls on Parade and War Within a Breath so I couldn't tell you. I know I can play the solo from One and Master of Puppets along with Walk and Cemetery Gates. Does that give u an image of how I can play?

Revenant

29-08-2005 08:49:57

i'm a bassist. in a guitar thread? *waits for the boos from the 6-stringers* i play a BC Rich mockingbird - black with custom skull knobs for the controls, and a translucent cherry red bass by cort research, can't remember the model. morley wah, boss ODB-3 overdrive all through a peavey TKO 115 amp. i've noticed that bc rich guitars don't sound the best but they don't sound the worst, they have the best body shapes and hey - pickups can be changed. got my eye on a pair of BMGs. hehe. feel the rumble...

Nekura Manji

29-08-2005 11:02:20

Ah, Ethen's a Metallica fan. That explains a lot. Two of the guys I'm in a band with are Metallica fans.

Why don't Metallica fans accept the possibility that there's more to life than Metallica? Let's be honest, their last album sucked balls. There are other bands just as good, if not better- Trivium, to name one example. The Eighties are over. Move on.

But I digress. You've got a point, Rev- it's all in the pickups. At some point I'll get in touch with this guy (http://www.timtone.com/) and get him to make me a guitar with my own custom body shape, as well as some hot pickups- Active: Seymour Duncan LiveWire Metal Humbucker (LW-HMET), Passive: Seymour Duncan Seth Lover Model (SH-55)

Oooh, I can just imagine how that would sound. Like a dream.

Revenant

29-08-2005 14:15:41

manji, i'm a metallica fan. they are in my view the greatest band ever to grace the glory of metal.
i don't think there are many metallica fans who truly believe they are the be all and end all. but we do get sick of people refusing to acknowledge their genius because of their last few albums (yes, st anger sucked balls, by the way. big hairy sweaty balls). if you take the likes of master of puppets and ride the lightning they hold up better than almost any metal album in the last 10 years. that's something. still, the same could be said for just about any of motorhead's stuff, especially from the lemmy/taylor/clarke lineup...

Ethen

29-08-2005 17:23:56

I got EMG HZ's. I am working towards getting a ESP JH-2 James Hetfield JH2 Signature Model.

http://www.guitarshop.net/esp/jh2_5.jpg

Thats my dream guitar (Notice the pickups : P EMG's)

Nekura Manji

30-08-2005 04:48:48

Dude, I like Metallica as well. In fact, I was listening to The Black Album this morning and playing Whiskey in the Jar only yesterday. But I get really annoyed by the way that Metallica fans seem to listen only to Metallica. Or Pantera.

People need to expand their horizons- my playlist contains Metallica, Lyrnyrd Skrynyrd, Iron Maiden, Guns 'n' Roses, Ayreon (Operatic prog rock), Dragonforce (incredible guitar wankery power metal- listen to them if you don't already), GWAR, Franz Ferdinand, etc.... I've even got some classical Japanese folk music on the koto, shakuhachi and shamisen. All in all, a ridiculously ranged, eclectic mix of music.

Which is why I can't understand why (speaking from personal experience) Metallica fans only really listen to Metallica. Don't you get bored of the same songs over and over again?

Revenant

30-08-2005 09:32:43

not really coz i listen to megadeth, motorhead, nevermore, area 54, iron maiden, wasp, black sabbath, slayer, hell born, emperor, the list is endless. and dragonforce are utterly, utterly immense. i had a ticket to see wasp, with dragonforce as the opening act. got mixed up and thought the gig was on the 21st instead of the 12th so i missed it. how infuriating is that?

Ethen

30-08-2005 17:00:50

I listen to Pearl Jam, Goo Goo Dolls, STP, CCR, Def Leopard, Alice In Chains, Motley Crue, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Hendrix, Ac/Dc, Zepplin, Halen, Slayer and Metallica. It just so happens I relate to Metallica's songs more than the others. And if you listen to the albums till they get warn out from Kill em all to Garage, you'll wanna listen to Metal Militia and Motorbreath again, so its an endless circle.

Revenant

31-08-2005 06:38:03

good call, although personally i preferred phantom lord and seek and destroy. i was at motley crue's gig in glasgow a couple months back. man, what a show that was! they're back on top form, yay...

Kaine Mandaala

31-08-2005 11:17:32

Dude, I like Metallica as well.  In fact, I was listening to The Black Album this morning and playing Whiskey in the Jar only yesterday.  But I get really annoyed by the way that Metallica fans seem to listen only to Metallica.  Or Pantera. 

People need to expand their horizons- my playlist contains Metallica, Lyrnyrd Skrynyrd, Iron Maiden, Guns 'n' Roses, Ayreon (Operatic prog rock), Dragonforce (incredible guitar wankery power metal- listen to them if you don't already), GWAR, Franz Ferdinand, etc.... I've even got some classical Japanese folk music on the koto, shakuhachi and shamisen.  All in all, a ridiculously ranged, eclectic mix of music.

Which is why I can't understand why (speaking from personal experience) Metallica fans only really listen to Metallica.  Don't you get bored of the same songs over and over again?

The band I was in was made up of:

Lead Guitarist listened to whatever was hot at the time (Nirvana/Pearl Jam).
Rhythm Guitarist always listened to MEtallica/Pantera.
Bass Guitarist listened mostly to Primus and punk.
Drummer (me) listened mostly to Rush and Led Zeppelin.

We were all familiar with a lot of different things, from TRULY classic rock & roll (Buddy Holly, Elvis, Beatles) to the "new" stuff (Alice In Chains, STP).

Listening to all these different bands really helped build up our own band's songlist and made it so that all the music we wrote didn't sound too much like a clone of someone else. Though I do admit a lot of what we made sounds like early Metallica :D

Macron Sadow

31-08-2005 11:27:13

stuff I play: flamenco, blues, delta style slide guitar, classical, bach.... black sabbath... hee hee... the cure.. pink floyd etc

Ethen

01-09-2005 19:27:08

Guitarist Style I based mine off of:

50% Steve Vai (Smoothness)
30% Rusty Cooley (speed)
20% Slash (Rythm)

Revenant

02-09-2005 12:18:14

if your talking about which musicians influenced us i'd have to say lemmy (motorhead)/jason newstead (flotsam & jetsam, metallica, ozzy, voivod) for their aggression and use of a plectrum, david ellefson (megageth) for his tone and cliff burton (trauma, metallica) for the way he often goes on a tangent but manages to fit perfetly...

Mortimus

02-09-2005 16:51:22

well i'm a drummer *lowers head* and i have no [Expletive Deleted F-word]ing idea wot your all on about. except the term guitar.

Ethen

02-09-2005 16:55:57

no my style is combo of those three

Nekura Manji

03-09-2005 07:31:42

I don't try and emulate other guitarist's styles- I have my own, which is probably better in the long-run. My advice would be to try and come up with your own style, or you'll just fall by the wayside with all the other tribute bands and probably never get anywhere. Look at Tom Morello- made a style out of exploiting the [Expletive Deleted]tiness of his first guitar, and he's now incredibly good, famous and rich. He's probably inspired me in terms of his approach, not his actual musical style.

But yeah. No drummers in the guitar thread. =D

Revenant

03-09-2005 09:37:07

Hey, what do you call a drummer who's just split up with his girlfriend? No? Homeless...

sorry, just kidding, i can't resist, nothing personal. still, it could be worse. you should see the abuse that our drummer takes.

Mortimus

04-09-2005 13:43:50

How do you know when a drummers at the door?
He never knows when to come it.

Don't sweat i think their funny as long as their not offencive towards me.

Hair spray=lead guitarists lead guitarists=hair spray

Mortimus

15-09-2005 16:16:20

I'm gettin guitar lessons and i'm savin for an ibanez GAX30.

What do you call a guiterists best friend?

His drummer.

mortimus out.