Best Band...

Jaymz

15-07-2005 14:51:38

Who is Better?

Revenant

15-07-2005 16:07:53

van halen was one of the most influential guitarists ever. led zeppelin were so talented and so diverse. but metallica rock harder. and they had cliff burton, best bassist ever to have lived. also, did you guys know that metallica are the 3rd most successful recording act in history? 2nd place is the beatles and 1st place - U2.

Aghasett

15-07-2005 16:24:40

Not that I am one, but I'd think most rock "aficionados" would say Led Zeppelin is the titan of the three, irrespective of record sales.

Jaymz

16-07-2005 10:34:04

Though all three of them are my hero's, all of them have awesome music, I would have to say Metallica is the most famous out of those three, and probably out of every band you compare it to. I know of 4 radio stations that have Mandatory Metallica and only one with Led before Bed. I mean its Metallica, just the name represents the enourmous amount of respect those guys have. Jaymz Hetfield, Robert Trujillo, Lars Ulrich, and Kirk Hammet HELL YA, throw the devil horns up man.

Tyrus

16-07-2005 10:41:55

metallica...duh

Jaymz

17-07-2005 15:47:39

Guess it is safe to say that Metallica won.

Shinichi Endymiron K

17-07-2005 17:26:43

Led Zepplin is the most influencial band out of all of them. Even Metallica claims influence from Zepplin. I like Metallica, but musically they don't compare to what Zepplin created.

Mike Halcyon

17-07-2005 18:05:29

CCR without doubt!

Aidan Kincaid

17-07-2005 18:29:30

Metallica = good riffs and [Expletive Deleted]ty vocals/lyrics... not really what should be considered a great.

Jaymz

18-07-2005 08:08:54

Led Zepplin has good riffs and not to good vocals as well, but someone who is as into music as I am doesn't read too much into it. Credence is alright, but they are washed up, no where to be found today. I loved thier songs, but they are dead. Metallica is still very much alive, and St. Anger doesn't suck nearly as much as everyone is making it out to be.

Shadonyx

18-07-2005 20:03:27

Credence Clearwater Revival, of course. Need I say only, "The Big Lebowski"?

Doo, doo, doo, Looking out my back door.
There's a giant doing cartwheels,
A statue wearing high heels.
Look at all the happy creatures dancing on the lawn.
A dinosaur Victrola listening to Buck Owens.

Korras

19-07-2005 04:43:23

Led Zepplin has good riffs and not to good vocals as well, but someone who is as into music as I am doesn't read too much into it. Credence is alright, but they are washed up, no where to be found today. I loved thier songs, but they are dead. Metallica is still very much alive, and St. Anger doesn't suck nearly as much as everyone is making it out to be.

I voted VH, but then again, I <3 VH. :P

now, your post. "st. Anger doesn't suck as much as everyone is making it out to be", that's a matter of personal opinion, not a fact. but you seem to be trying to turn it into one. :P

also, vocals are a crucial part of music if they involve them, at least I think so. bad lyrics is something I definately don't like, and I can hardly believe someone who is heavily into music can just ignore them. therefore, it seems more like you mean you're not very into music. :P

Shinichi Endymiron K

19-07-2005 10:40:02

If you you want to look purely at the non-vocal aspects Zepplin had much better and more complex musical arrangement. They achieved a flow that through the music alone could tell a tale, much like the classical composers of old did.

Chaosrain

20-07-2005 04:15:48

Zepplin is by far my favorite of the 4 and of almost all rock groups. They have the best music of the above four and they have awesome lyrics. There lyrics tell tales and have actual meanings, where as bands like Metallica have alot of yelling. Don't get me wrong I like Metallica, CCR and Van Halen, but they just don't stack up against the greatness that is Led Zepplin.

Also, there were alot of great rock groups that were left out of this poll such as: Blue Oyster Cult, The Eagles, The Doors, The Rolling Stones, Guns n Roses, The Beatles, Lynard Skynard , Pink Floyd, and many others.

Oberst

20-07-2005 10:25:11

Dude...where's Pink Floyd?

Jaymz

20-07-2005 12:42:32

I am not arguing, I love all three of them, so any answer you have I could probably agree with. The only reason I like metallica more is because they write songs I could relate with, like Nothing Else Matters, and Battery.

Korras

21-07-2005 03:52:05

Dude...where's Pink Floyd?

dude... it's right up there! :P

Jaymz

21-07-2005 15:58:02

Pink Floyd isn't cool.

Mike Halcyon

21-07-2005 16:32:59

dude... it's right up there! :P

It`s good to be a moderator, isn`t it? :P

Oberst

21-07-2005 19:24:10

Pink Floyd isn't cool.

This from the depressed guy...when you're no longer depressed and have a more irreverent mean and meter to your life, listen to Floyd.

Nekura Manji

22-07-2005 07:01:08

Pink Floyd isn't cool.

I'm sorry, but I can't stand that. Pink Floyd are the base for probably every good prog-rock band today- and if you don't like prog-rock, I have only one thing to say to you.

[Expletive Deleted]

There. As to the actual poll- Zeppelin all the way. Metallica wouldn't even EXIST if it wasn't for the almighty Zeppelin. Have you even heard Kashmir? Rock and Roll? Stairway to Heaven?!

And you say you're "into music". *shakes head* Oh, and Trivium pwn. They might be pretty new, but when Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler hear them play and say they're "f**king good" you know they're going to be big. The new Metallica, apparently.

EDIT: And what about Jimi Hendrix? Geez.

Oberst

22-07-2005 10:50:35

Hendrix would necessitate a new poll. Something like "Guitar Gods"...and then you'd have to pick between Hendrix, Clapton, King (B.B. and Albert), Stevie Ray Vaughan, Buddy Guy, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai.

Korras

22-07-2005 11:42:55

and Eddie Van Halen. :P

Jaymz

22-07-2005 11:45:53

I've listened to Floyd int he past, not my style of music. Next time a moderator comes in here, do you think you could put Pantera, Slayer and Megadeth up there as well.

Oberst

22-07-2005 12:43:48

Eddie Van Halen? Against the guys I listed? He's so outclassed...

Spears

22-07-2005 13:29:38

I like Eddie and all but he just isn't in the same league a Steve Vai ect...

Aghasett

22-07-2005 14:36:10

Hendrix would necessitate a new poll.  Something like "Guitar Gods"...and then you'd have to pick between Hendrix, Clapton, King (B.B. and Albert), Stevie Ray Vaughan, Buddy Guy, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai.

Billboard's Top 10:

Criteria: - Guitarists are ranked for their impact, influence, creativity, versatility,
originality, technical skill and lasting popularity in the genre of Rock guitar.

1. Jimi Hendrix - Jimi Hendrix Experience
2. Eric Clapton - Yardbirds, Cream, Derek & The Dominos, Solo
3. Jimmy Page - Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin, The Firm
4. Jeff Beck - Yardbirds, Jeff Beck Group, Solo
5. Eddie Van Halen - Van Halen
6. Stevie Ray Vaughan - Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble
7. Joe Satriani - Solo
8. Ritchie Blackmore - Deep Purple, Rainbow, Blackmores Night
9. Steve Vai - David Lee Roth, Whitesnake, Solo
10. David Gilmour - Pink Floyd, Solo

Jaymz

22-07-2005 15:39:10

We are not talking about just music, we are talking about the band and its impact on society, I think Metallica has left a bigger impact and will be remembered longer than any of them, simply because of one thing, the one thing that made them who they are today............"Enter Sandman"

armus

22-07-2005 16:10:55

We are not talking about just music, we are talking about the band and its impact on society, I think Metallica has left a bigger impact and will be remembered longer than any of them, simply because of one thing, the one thing that made them who they are today............"Enter Sandman"

Do you know what I remember the most about Metallica?

The fact that despite being rich as sin, they led the charge for people to be prosecuted for the Napster thing.

My response: I (with a couple friends) went to a Metallica concert, and chucked burned CD of the Black Album on stage until the staff confiscated the remains. Fast talking on the part of a friend allowed us to even stay at the concert. :P

And yeah. Comparing Metallica to the Zep is like.... comparing FDR to Wendell Wilkie

Armus

Jaymz

22-07-2005 16:19:36

Napster was losing them money and they weren't just doing it for them, they were doing it for all the bands. and it was more about the music then the money, they went through all that hard work to make it, why the hell shouldn't they get money for it. I agreed with them. The only thing P2P filesharing should be used for is movies and........nevermind.

armus

22-07-2005 16:50:28

Napster was losing them money and they weren't just doing it for them, they were doing it for all the bands. and it was more about the music then the money, they went through all that hard work to make it, why the hell shouldn't they get money for it. I agreed with them. The only thing P2P filesharing should be used for is movies and........nevermind.

A CD costs like five bucks to make in a production line (or less) and then the musicians should get a dollar or two for the music. Why, then do CD's cost at least 15 bucks if not more?

Greed. Greed is the reason. So screw Metallica.

Compared to Zepplin, Metallica is a mere shadow of crap. Sorry.

Armus

Oberst

22-07-2005 21:24:15

Actually...and this is quoting from my shareholder information from Warner Music Group:

Production cost per CD, including studio time and equipment costs is $2.77
Marketing and promotion cost per CD is $.0087
Average artist take per cd, non proprietary, $.05

The rest is sheer profit and "overhead" for the company.

Oh, and Tyrus...the reason that Metallica fougth so hard against Napster was because they were the proprietors of their music. Their negotiation with Elektra made it so that Elektra only recieved $.50 per CD on top of costs. They had a vested interest in going after Napster while artists such as Limp Bizkit, Black Eyed Peas and Korn were stating "go ahead" when it came to their fans pirating music. Why? Because those artists make all of their money touring, not selling CD's. Even after promoter costs, they see more money for their work from a few months of touring vs going triple platinum.

This isn't an advocation of music piracy, but I will say this: all of the artists who came out vocally against this, were they shareholders or owners of their own labels?

Kaine Mandaala

22-07-2005 23:15:34

What a bizarre poll. What is this poll really? Which of these is the best, or which band had the most influence on the world, or here's what I like, what do you think? Of the few listed I'd have to say CCR is legendary. Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd are kings in their era (and genre) as is Van Halen. Metallica was a strong force in bringing metal mainstream - but then they... lost their roots.

I like LZ, PF and CCR, indifferent on the other 2. VH has its moments, and M... well...

The way I protested against Metallica's BS Napster fiasco was to download their first four albums in full, and redistribute them through everyone I know. They've become sell-out jackholes who aren't worth the paper their liner notes are printed on. I loved them when they were about the music, in fact I still love that era of theirs. The Napster thing showed they were really about the money. Don't get me wrong - I like money, but they've earned their fair share off "Kill Em All", "Master Of Puppets" and "Ride The Lightning". Those recordings are 20 years old now. Stop charging $23 for them.

Sad when you can get a CD of Greig's Peer Gynt #1, #2, and Piano Concerto #1 (all on the same CD) for $5. Overall better music for 1/4 the price.

[center]- = -[/center]
As far as changing the world there are so many bands that aren't listed.

The Beatles - Diversity in their later years influenced many other bands. They also were among the first to have a concept album.

Rush - Perfected the concept album and provided wave after wave of well written, thought provoking music. Some might be a tad cheesy by today's standard, but give 2112 a shot.

The Monkees and KISS popularized the music video. Monkees had video to match their songs in the show, some of them shown at the end and ha dnothing to do with the story of the episode. KISS aired short, staged concerts on Saturday afternoon TV in 1976. Some of these had scripted elements that enhanced the story of the song.

I always feel that They Might Be Giants is overlooked. Quirky lyrics and diverse themes into every album they've made in the past 20 years. They were really pioneers in many now-common practices, such as the use of samples and drum machines. Hell - for the first 4 albums it was just the 2 Johns... which brings to mind the Carpenters' utilization of multi-track dubbing, singing all the different parts of harmony themselves.

I could go on and on with musicians that really changed the face of the music world, but this is already far longer than I was expecting. This will get way too long and boring. :)

Nekura Manji

23-07-2005 04:31:22

Yeah, I definitely agree with the Beatles changing the face of music. Although if we're going to say the Beatles, how about Chuck Berry? Buddy Holly? Or even (although I don't really like him myself) Elvis?

Technically they were the first rockers, and without them Led Zep, the Beatles and yes, Metallica, would be nothing since the entire genre would have gone a different way. Jaymz- ya gotta start with the true classics if you're going to appreciate rock and roll, my friend. They did have rock before 1970/80 (or whenever the hell Metallica first appeared.)

EDIT: Oh, and to Adghasetts guitar heroes list- I would add Yngwie Malmsteen to that purely because of his blinding speed and invention of the 'scalloped neck' guitar that allowed him to play even faster. Oh, and because he just rocks ass. :D

Jaymz

23-07-2005 09:05:34

How much money do you think it took to make the CD I mean actually MAKE. Like record, rent out studios, back up players, instruments, strings, amps, tuners, pedals, headers, tours. That [Expletive Deleted] costs money. So what the band only makes .05 off of it when you multiply it by about 100 Million copies of that album you get some money out of it.

Revenant

23-07-2005 09:06:35

I can't believe people are still arguing about the metallica/napster thing. yes, they had a point. yes, they took it too far. no, nobody cared that much because their fight was against napster. they ignored the other P2P fileshare programs. and most of that was lars. the rest of them never voiced any disagreement but the others, especially jason newstead, were embarassed by how zealously he pursued his vendetta.

jaymz, enter sandman was released in 1991. metallica were already one of the biggest rock acts in the world. that song did not make them what they are. it introduced a whole new group of people who would previously have ignored the band yeah, but it's not responsible for their success. also, no offense dude but to say that metallica have had a bigger influence on music than led zeppelin is ridiculous. now i much prefer metallica's music to led zep's, but what led zeppelin did, at that time, hadn't really been done before. they influenced the development of rock, metal, blues, everything. metallica reinvented the metal genre and the world the joy of thrash, but that doesn't have as much scope as the legacy left by led zep.

floyd were a band that never really interested me. dunno why. nothing against them but nothing really in their favour either. CCR just don't do it for me, sorry. oh well, rant over...

Oberst

23-07-2005 13:55:37

Well, Manji...what about guys like Junior Wells, BB King, Albert King, Buddy Guy and John Lee Hooker, whom a bunch of white boys on both sides of the pond listened to and were influenced by?

Jaymz

26-07-2005 12:09:19

if you ask anyone what song Metallica will be remembered longest from it will be Enter Sandman. At my work I play it on this [Expletive Deleted]ty little stereo and everyone starts singing to it, they all know the words even the people who were into rap and country.

But then I started playing Master of Puppets, Fight fire with Fire, Turn the Page, good stuff (to me) and everyone knew the songs, liked them, but they didn't know the words b/c they heard them once maybe twice in thier whole life. Enter Sandman came out after Metallica was already well known, yes that is true, but sandman like solidified thier placement as a Metal god.

Revenant

28-07-2005 14:38:03

hmm, maybe. but they would have been legends regardless of what the album they brought out was. for me the black album marks the point where metallica started going downhill. i loved all their albums (except st anger) but when they brought in bob rock i think they let him have too much of a say in the structure of the songs. rumour has it they're sacking him for the next album and i think that's a good thing. st anger was a return to playing fast and heavy but they did it in the wrong way i think. a lot of people have suggested that they fire rock and it looks like they're starting to listen to the fans again. i reckon their next album's gonna be either really really bad or unbelievably good. there's no middle ground with the next one. i also wouldn't be surprised if it was their last.

Jaymz

28-07-2005 19:56:29

I can't believe I along with anyone else here forgot the band that is above all of them. The band that has thier own magazine and the lead singer was knighted. ROLLING STONES. I would have to say they overall have had a bigger impact on music. Narrow it down to Rock, That goes to Zepplin, Narrow it down even further to Metal, that goes to Metallica. But overall it has to be the Rolling Stones.

Oberst

28-07-2005 20:43:03

...and without guys like Howlin' Wolf, Albert Collins or the Wailers, the Rolling Stones wouldn't have developed their sound. This is a very circular argument, because if you bring up one artist, someone else could easily bring up the people who influenced them and so on and so forth.

Chaosrain

28-07-2005 20:43:19

Also, there were alot of great rock groups that were left out of this poll such as: Blue Oyster Cult, The Eagles, The Doors, The Rolling Stones, Guns n Roses, The Beatles, Lynard Skynard , Pink Floyd, and many others.

Notice I said rolling Stones back on the first page. Yes the Stones do rock, but they aren't better than Zepplin.

Jaymz

28-07-2005 20:54:17

OH sorry I must've missed that. But the Stones are better than Zepplin sorry.

Duga Taldrya Arkarso

28-07-2005 23:41:50

OH sorry I must've missed that. But the Stones are better than Zepplin sorry.

Just so you know, if someone else feels Zepplin is better than the Stones then that is their opinion. Everyone has one. No one is wrong in what they like. Sorry.

Out of the poll, I gotta go with Van Halen and Led Zeppelin as the best. I can't get enough Van Halen music. I like the Rolling Stones and Guns n Roses as others have mentioned as well as many other bands. Don't really go for Metallica.

Jaymz

29-07-2005 12:33:53

Personal opinion can only go so far. Thats like saying American Idiot is a better album then Master of Puppets. Rolling Stones I think is above all of them.

Mike Halcyon

29-07-2005 13:06:04

In fact, personal opinion is EVERYTHING that matters when it comes down to music. I, for example, believe that Sammy Davis, Jr. is better than Metallica and the Stones combined. And it's my valid opinion, and I am not wrong.

Oberst

29-07-2005 13:18:10

Sammy is awesome. I'm with Mike on that one.

Frightening, sharing a position similar to Mike's.

Revenant

29-07-2005 13:27:22

so, oberst, what's you and mike's favourite position? sorry, dude, just kidding, but you left that one wide open... :)

Uzbad

30-07-2005 22:40:06

Mettalica is good, But Led Zepp is just better. It's "Slow" and "old" and whatever, but it still rocks harder than anything else. This poll also needs some adjusting. Comparing Mettalica to bands like Led Zepp, Van halen, Pink Floyd and whatever else is on it just doesnt work.

The 1st one's new, the other are old, its almost a different genre.

maybe a better poll would be:
Best Metal band of all time.

Or:

Best Classic Rock band of all time.

or something along that line. But it's like comparing MC Hammer and System of a Down. Obviously you will vote for the genre that better suits you.

Mike Halcyon

31-07-2005 04:21:10

U Can't Touch This. Poll.

Uzbad

31-07-2005 14:38:40

He could just make a new one...

Lorien Sinclair

31-07-2005 18:44:03

Led Zepplin is one of those bands that really defined the rock genre....Pink Floyd, Halen, and Metallica each - in their own way - took it one step further.

I love Metallica's heavier tunes (i.e., No Leaf Clover, Nothing Else Matters, the remix of Turn the Page, etc.), but I also could not go without hearin' Roth belt out "Right Now", or the sweet sounds of "Green River", or Roger Waters croonin' "Learning to Fly" an' "What Do You Want From Me?"

Bottom line, each band brings a powerful magic to the table. You can't listen to one, an' not pay some homage to the others.

Karan Callidus Entar

01-08-2005 21:26:48

Out of that list it has to be pink Floyd. Such veriety, and anyone watch their perfomance at Live 8? Bring on the remormation tour! :D

maikeru

02-08-2005 07:15:17

Metallica must be the famoust round here.. Me as a big fan of metallica surely knows metallica is the best :P hehe..

Jaymz

03-08-2005 13:50:19

No Leaf Clover is heavy. Battery is Heavy, Damage Inc. is heavy No Leaf Clover is a step below. And surely Nothing Else Matters isn't heavy. I think overall the Stones have head a bigger impact on ALL of music, for Metal its Metallica. For Rock its Zep. Each one has thier on unique qualities but I like Metallica b/c like I said before thier songs have stuff in it I can relate to like nothing else matters and bleeding me.

Mortimus

08-09-2005 16:17:23

we don't need no education....
they're all gret bands, but personally it's either rage against the machine or nirvana.

Mortimus

08-09-2005 16:19:35

And if your interested in music, jaymz, check out greatest albums, i'd like to start a poll, but there are too many albums, so i want votes in posts and then i'll create a poll from the most popular.

Mortis

19-09-2005 20:49:58

If Metallica would have stopped after ...And Justice For All, I would vote for them hands down. But they didnt, so I gotta go with Floyd all the way!

Jaymz

27-10-2005 11:02:12

I honestly hate people who say "metallica was good until *album* then they sucked" Thats BULL[Expletive Deleted]. Metallica continues to rock to this day. You cannot take people advice on music b/c everyone has thier diffrent jive to music. for me it's Metallica, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Sublime, Tom Petty and alot more. Its not about what kinda music it is, its about the message it is trying to convey, there fore I listen to all Genre's of music.

Ylith Pandemonium

27-10-2005 11:57:03

Metallicaa!!! \m/ \m/ *headbang headbang*

why..?

because my other favourite bands werent included and this was th best of the set :P

although I like van Halen's tapping...plus he's dutch....so...yay!

Metallica has better metal though...duhh METAL-lica ;)

sorry that st anger sucked though... we want solo's!

Archean

27-10-2005 12:47:29

I'd have to go with Metallica on this one, their first 5 albums were masterpeices, starting off from great thrash metal and slowly progressing to more melodic, heavy metal. Yes withoutht the rolling stones, zepp you wouldnt have many of the bands we like.

I must say though Van Halen are excellent. Hot For Teacher one of their greatest ever songs, in my book, also panama, Dreams, Running with the devil, you cant go past those songs, and eddie ecperimenting with the keyboard in the song Jump, for a song thats been on EVERY radio station it doesnt get old.

So in this poll it does come down to personal preference.

Also you guys forgot two great guitarists. Their names, Michael Angelo Batio and Yngwie J. Malmsteen, Batio is the inventor of the quad guitar, yes, 4 necks, he used to be in a hair band called Nitro back in the day. And now he does clinics and stuff for DEAN guitars. If you guys havent seen his video speed lives i suggest you watch it, the fastest shredder EVER! Yngwie J. Malmsteen, who was the first person (i think) to translate classical piano pieces to guitar, and also his version of Abba's gimmie gimmie gimmie is EXCELLENT! I would also class John Petrucci as a good guitarist.

Jaymz

28-10-2005 08:36:13

Any particular reason the post count with F'd with? Just wondering