Lightsaber Question.

Anonymous

02-06-2005 23:45:57

I've seen alot of Dossiers and alot of people have custom lightsabers. When i do become a jedi, how will i be able to make my own lightsaber? Will i be able to choose the color? and the Hilt? And if it's single, double, or Staff?

MERLANCE

02-06-2005 23:52:14

I've seen alot of Dossiers and alot of people have custom lightsabers. When i do become a jedi, how will i be able to make my own lightsaber? Will i be able to choose the color? and the Hilt? And if it's single, double, or Staff?

When you get to be DJK, a new option shows up on your admin page and you get to choose between hilt and color from a limited list.

You get the dual and double sabres when you achieve higher ranks, but not before. And no custom sabres initially.

Kraznor

03-06-2005 00:08:32

When you get to be DJK, a new option shows up on your admin page and you get to choose between hilt and color from a limited list.
You get the dual and double sabres when you achieve higher ranks, but not before. And no custom sabres initially.

Not sure if I should be asking this here or in rebirth, but will the Protector ranks be given training sabres or real sabers? Also will there be a stock standard lightsaber for all orders with the same blade and hilt for all or will there be different hilts & blades dependent on order and/or clan and/or house

Kaine Mandaala

03-06-2005 13:40:40

It is my understanding that (after Rebirth) Pre-DJK ranks will get the same generic training saber.

Currently at DJK you can make your own with preset pieces (grips, emitters, and controls). These have some customization but not completely unique.

When you attain the higher Equite ranks you are able to create your own custom saber - and have it look any way you want as long as it follows the guidelines put in place by me.

If you have any other lightsaber related questions, feel free to contact me either through here or at my e-mail address (on my dossier).

Jaymz

03-06-2005 20:07:14

Can a training Saber block a normal lightsaber?

Kaine Mandaala

03-06-2005 21:49:17

I would say yes. A training saber is, in effect, a lightsaber scaled down in lethality. It doesn't have enough power to cut anything, but I imagine it should have enough to block or deflect at the very least.

If anyone has "official" information on this, feel free to elaborate.

Kraznor

03-06-2005 22:43:02

I would say yes. A training saber is, in effect, a lightsaber scaled down in lethality. It doesn't have enough power to cut anything, but I imagine it should have enough to block or deflect at the very least.

If anyone has "official" information on this, feel free to elaborate.

Yes i think thats right as supported by these references
http://www.thelightsaber.com/historyA.htm

Jedi Training Lightsabers were used by Padawan's during training

Padawans start their training at a very early age. Padawan younglings can start learning the basics of lightsaber wielding as early as four or five. However, it is possible for a Padawan to make mistakes. These training lightsabers are specially designed to feel and look like a standard lightsaber without the ability to cut through objects. Rather they do give an unpleasant reminder not to come into contact with the blade. They are also downsized to better fit into youngling hands. One training lightsaber in particular was built to pay homage to a fallen Jedi, Qui Gon Jinn, the first Jedi know to be killed by a Sith in a millenia.
Saber Source: EPII: Attack of the Clones, Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

http://lightsaber.biography.ms/
http://starwars.wikicities.com/wiki/Lightsaber#Training
http://www.lightsaber.com/starwars/lightsaber.html
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...579046?v=glance
http://www.the-chaos-crew.com/swrpg/force/saber.htm

Kaine Mandaala

04-06-2005 01:26:42

Good work Kraznor!

The post I left prior to that was what I could recall from reading it on thelightsaber.com's site a while ago.

Jaymz

04-06-2005 18:37:20

So, when rebirth comes around will we (as in journeymen below the rank of DJK) be able to have lightsaber skills in our ACC sheet, as well as custom training sabers in there? On that note will the ranks of Protector/Gaurdian/Jedi Hunter be able to display thier Training Saber on thier Dossier?

Xanos

04-06-2005 20:42:57

While things are subject to change I'm sure the basic principles will be similar so...

In the near future the Lightsaber Combat Manual that Muz and I are working on for the ACC is going to expand lightsaber combat to include a full range of twelve different Forms all of varying strengths and weaknesses with different core abilities and so on. In effect somebody will be able to be a master of one Form and a novice at another. Obviously the higher in rank you are the more Forms you'll be able to learn and the more proficient you'll be in each Form.

Copying this idea over to the Journeymen. In theory you'd be able to know something about lightsaber combat but I would expect your choice of Form to be limited. Its going to be considerably limited at Dark Jedi Knight as it is to make a clear difference between the knowledge of a Dark Jedi Knight compared to a Dark Jedi Master. I would assume this will just be applied further down the chain meaning you'll have some skills but they'll be limited (if only because of your lower Weapon Skill Point count) compared to a Dark Jedi Knight.

Kaine Mandaala

04-06-2005 20:51:42

No one will be allowed custom training sabers. They'll get to choose one of three or four set designs. This will be displayed on their dossier.

Jaymz

04-06-2005 20:54:01

Yay, thanks for the info

Mike Halcyon

06-06-2005 12:13:19

I sincerly doubt a training saber as described above can block a real lightsaber.

Xhedias

06-06-2005 12:21:18

I think the training saber would block the first one or two attacks, then the blade would "break"

Kaine Mandaala

06-06-2005 12:56:11

Block? Probably not. Deflect? Possibly, but only a few times. They're ment to use against other trainers, not a JK/DJK+.

The younglings didn't stand a chance.

Xanos

06-06-2005 17:03:59

Well... if they didn't block... they die, and the person who kills them gets a serious burn from the training same across his face... so they'd still be rather painful :P

From what I understand they're just not strong enough to kill, they just stun or something. Hard to say if they protect against real lightsabers or not.

Anonymous

06-06-2005 18:50:28

im a protector and i do not have a light savor. I believe when you are DJK you get options to make your own and then when you go up 1 or 2 more then you can make it like in a image maker program. Then when you go up another 1-2 you can have the extended options in your admin panel to make duel light sabors

Xhedias

06-06-2005 19:53:35

Thats essential thats how it is WTO, except when you gain in ranks you are allowed to do a custom one. You dont want the generic duels, thats would be just silly.

Jaymz

06-06-2005 20:02:16

So can a training saber block a real one or not? I was under the impression it was the same as a real one, just toned down some to reduce the risk of killing. That shouldn't have anything to do with whether it could block or not should it?

Malik

07-06-2005 02:25:48

well, a lightsaber blade can be broken by another lightsaber so I figure if a training saber is a toned down lightsaber it'd be somewhat easier to break.

Xanos

07-06-2005 08:21:54

I wasn't aware a lightsaber could be broken by another lightsaber... I've never seen that happen.

As far as I've ever seen lightsabers don't go through each other. 99% probability says the same applies to a training saber. The only difference really is that they aren't likey to kill you but will just give you a really bad burn.

However... if I remember right training sabers can kill they just don't kill as easily. In other words: if you hit somebody really, really, really hard with a Force enhanced strike you'd probably be able to cut their head off using a training saber. They just don't cut through anything without resistance. In practise they're still not something you'd want to screw about with.

Halcyon

07-06-2005 10:08:57

It has happened before...but in the EU. I remember talk about blades being "broken" and such...don't remember well.

However, in the actual films...who knows. They're both pure energy...can a more powerful energy (plasma...whatever it is :P) beam overcome another? Dunno...

Lech

07-06-2005 10:34:34

My question is: Has there ever been an indestructable hilt? Or at least, very difficult to destroy. Seems to me that all you would have to do is destroy a jedi's hilt and you won't have a problem killing him/her.

Halcyon

07-06-2005 11:25:18

Well...I'm sure you can make extremely sturdy hilts, but not indestructable. And yes, destroying the hilt is perhaps the best option when fighting against a lightsaber :P

Xhedias

07-06-2005 11:31:42

Hmmm, i think in Shadow Hunter Darth Maul breaks a Padawans lightsaber and kills her. Or she just had a faulty saber. I cant remember off the top of my head though.

I agree with halc, thats how obi ends up winning against Darth Maul, takes out the most dangerous part about him. Two blades :(

Tyrus

07-06-2005 16:55:47

suprisingly so, what the heck is project rebirth?

nov tyrus
dossier 5575
battleteam rei now accepting new members
:lightsaber: :lukevader:

Xanos

07-06-2005 18:02:48

*coughs*

Did anybody actually watch ROTS? Of course you can destroy the hilt... General Grievous, remember? Heh. I suppose in theory you could coat your hilt with a layer of cortosis so it couldn't be sliced in half. Cortosis is expensive and rare though. It would be equivalent to buying a platinum plated sword. Not something the ordinary person can afford.

Destroying a hilt in practice isn't easy though- at least it doesn't happen in writing often. General Grievous wasn't Force sensitive, I'm pretty sure the reason most Jedi don't worry about their hilt being damaged is because they can react fast enough to never have another lightsaber get that close. Grievous didn't have the Force affinity to do that though.

Breaking another persons blade has always sounded strange to me... I mean... even if you could go through the blade, the other persons blade would go through yours, so while you might kill them, they'd also kill you. Even if theirs was just a training saber it'd give you a bloody painful burn scar across most of your body. Not fun. There is the Cortosis sword approach which does 'short out' a lightsaber somehow though.

Macron Sadow

07-06-2005 19:56:21

Cortosis swords... yeah. They do that, but the lightsaber can be immediately re-ignited from what I have read. Of course, shorting like that would drain one's power cell quickly.

I have also seen info on Corsuca gem crystals, in which case the blade is immune to Cortosis.

Telona

08-06-2005 19:28:52

More info on the Corsuca gems would be nice for those of us who like the technical stuff. If you can find some links Macron, that'd be awesome.

Muz Ashen

10-06-2005 12:45:14

it'll be in the sabre guide, *hint hint*

Also, the idea of sabres 'breaking' each other is typically in regards to the synthetic red sabre blade versus a natural (blue, green or yellow) blade. It's a tiny chance, and stories probably blown out of proportion to freak out young jedi, but still possible.

Above and beyond that, there will be all sorts of technical, style, and so on sabre information in the coming guide. You just have to wait for it.

!tease off

Spears

10-06-2005 12:48:21

*attacks the Muz for the tease*

Macron Sadow

10-06-2005 13:14:07

My PCON has forbidden me to speak of it, upon threat of more pain than even I would enjoy. Soryy. ;) The research has been done, though....

Spears

10-06-2005 13:18:05

Yeah and what do you think I will do if you don't tell me >:)

I make Muz look like a nice guy.
Spears -> :lukevader: <-Muz

:P

Macron Sadow

10-06-2005 13:19:28

Oh well, I am resigned to my fate then.... X-)

Macron Sadow

10-06-2005 22:24:42

This I can say.

Read " Dark Apprentice."

Gantoris uses 3 Corusca gems to create a dual-phase lightsaber with a purple blade in the novel, although the other properties are from a more... special source.

Panzerus

05-07-2005 18:57:30

In Jedi Apprentice, before Obi-wan was picked by Qui-gon, Obi was fighting his rival (I forgot the name) after everyone had left the duel room. They were both using training sabers and they never mentioned the blades breaking. As far as I could tell, they acted like normal blades except they burned, and seared your flesh (only minor damage) rather than cut through you completely. At the end of the fight, both Obi and his rival (Bant, I think his name was but can't be sure) were burned and showed signs that they had been hit with the other's lightsaber.

In short, there was no evidence that the training sabers' blades ever broke

When they struck flesh they hurt, they hurt A LOT - but didn't kill or penetrate.

That's all I can think of now.

Shinichi Endymiron K

05-07-2005 19:06:02

If the arc was disrupted the energy would either dissipate quietly or it would violently explode. I'm not sure which, since technically you'd be interrupting a circuit of pure energy.

Macron Sadow

05-07-2005 19:10:06

Given the nature of a lightsaber as described, it seems most like a standing plasma wave.
If a misaligned crystal can cause an explosion, I would think detonation would be more likely.
Especially with 2-5 mW on tap in a power cell.

Revenant

06-07-2005 05:30:50

my understanding of it was that if the energy circuit was broken the blade shuts down, therefore "breaking". This is similar in principle to the blade being broken by cortosis, though I'm not quite sure how it happens.

Macron Sadow

06-07-2005 08:06:17

Cortosis harmonically separates the wave form, ending the positive wave reinforcement and introducing negative aspects that cause a cascading failure in the nodes of the wave.

Xanos

06-07-2005 12:25:29

You can hear explosions in space.

Enough said about Star Wars and physics.

Tyrus

07-07-2005 15:45:33

you can hear explosions in space?

Sato Khan

07-07-2005 22:52:14

Nope not a sound.....sound has to have a medium such as air or water to travel through. Space is a void. This public service announcement was brought to you by the fine folks at Mr. Wizards lab, blowing up kids since 1984.

Panzerus

07-07-2005 22:54:07

You can't hear explosions in space, he was just pointing out how Star Wars ....um...takes "liberties" when it comes to realism. But that's ok. If we wanted some slow-paced science fiction movie we'd be watching Star Trek! :P

Xanos

08-07-2005 07:14:32

Yeah, my point was in Star Wars you can hear things in space, the best example of this are Jango Fett's seismic bombs in AOTC. They look cool, they sound cool, but... wtf? They wouldn't do anything! How does a seismic wave travel through space? They'd be absolutely useless in reality.

Which is one of the best examples of why applying real physics to Star Wars isn't worth the effort, as its not just lightsaber blades that don't work, its everything. The seismic bombs though are one of the most direct contradictions with whats possible in any of the films though. If he hadn't called them seismic bombs it may have made a bit more sense.

Panzerus

08-07-2005 09:01:05

Excellent point. I never woud've thought of that but keep it down. Also, they kind of skirt the issue of air in space. Remember the Falcon in the asteroid. I know they had those little masks but the door was wide open. THere probably would've been some explosive decompression or something. Not to mention they'd have to repump the Falcon with breathable air.

Shinichi Endymiron K

09-07-2005 23:30:23

And this is why I like the new Battlestar Galactica. They really did their homework with that show.

Panzerus

10-07-2005 09:43:15

Yes, but then again Star Wars isn't about realism. It's a mythology set in a futuristic setting (actually, it's in the past). If they had been too realistic it would never have had the same appeal that it does now.

Xanos

11-07-2005 18:06:58

True. Thats why I don't get why people even bother to talk about "Star Wars Physics" and why I always shake my head and laugh when people start to try and use real life physics to back an argument up. Sure, some might apply, but most doesn't, so whats the same the physics of the point in question would?

Its why I've never been a big fan of Star Trek... too plain. I like my science fiction to be less of the science and more of the fiction. I suppose in a way Star Wars is more science fantasy than science fiction as its a myth of fantasy and science fiction. I far prefer it for that reason. While I appreciate the more realistic genres for what they are, say something like Halo is cool, I still prefer Star Wars because it can incorporate the real (using the Halo comparison just think Republic Commando) but also has the supernatural (Force).

Mike Halcyon

11-07-2005 18:09:53

And this is why I like the new Battlestar Galactica.  They really did their homework with that show.

I just wanted to say that. All hail Starbuck!

Windos

11-07-2005 19:10:54

Even Star Trek takes liberties on the sound in space thing, exterior shots ya hear the engines quite often and I swear at the start of one of the movies I can here the wine bottle smash when they chrissen the new ship, all of this is from memory :P im not about to go and watch it again.

On that point, im finally getting off my ass and seeing Ep 3 this afternoon, lol, its like the last screening.

Muz Ashen

13-07-2005 23:29:49

Most sabre-smiths build in an automatic shut-off... when the magnetic field is disrupted, the failsafe engages, powering down the saber. This prevents miniature three-mile island issues.

How do you disrupt that field? The more pure blade produced by synthetic adegans, cortosis, or even submerging the hilt in water.

Press "on" to restart the sabre. You'll have to dry out a sabre that's been dropped in the water, though.

Jaymz

14-07-2005 14:01:51

I like the Lightsabers that have internal switches that can only be activated by the force. This prevents accidents and retards from stealing your weapon and using it.

Halcyon

14-07-2005 16:06:26

Until someone brings along a Ysalamiri or uses Force Supression...good luck then :P

Xanos

15-07-2005 06:34:13

Hmmm... I never thought about that.

Screw ever building a lightsaber with an internal switch.

Shinichi Endymiron K

15-07-2005 08:54:47

The other problem with an internal switch is that you have to keep your concentration on it to keep it ignited. Now anyone who's actually been in a fight can tell you that there's too much going on to divide even a fraction of your attention like that for very long. Eventually you'll lose it if even for a moment and then your blade goes out and you die...and that sucks.

Jaymz

15-07-2005 13:25:26

I mean the ones you only have to concentrate for a milisecond and it locks into place, and a switch that is encoded to a specific force signature if thats possible.

Anonymous

16-07-2005 11:34:06

Yea thats a good idea. Only have to consentrate on it to switch it on and off.

Shinichi Endymiron K

16-07-2005 14:21:22

Ok then suppose it's locked into place and you're in the biggest bitchfest of a battle ever. Your blade gets knocked out of your hand, but because you're trying to survive and it doesn't have the hand pressure cut off the blade remains ignited spiraling in the air killing you or your comrades. Same result Death=Bad

Anonymous

17-07-2005 11:44:27

You'll just have to be good enough where you dont let go... Seriously, I sword fight and I've lost my sword maybe twice in the years I've been fighting. And that was a while ago.

karimicus

17-07-2005 13:30:51

I don't think lightsabers use plasma (think it was either halc or mike who said that one) because they use a crystals to power and forucs the blade I would presume it uses laster technology, where the coherencey of the light is enough to do some damage

Xanos

17-07-2005 16:28:25

They often refer to, especially in the more recent case of describing Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber, lightsaber blades as "pure plasma". Even if the lightsaber itself doesn't emit plasma the supercharged heat of the lightsaber blade itself would presumably liquify the air, water vapour, and whatever else, into plasma, which is another explanation for why its a plasma sword. It does depend where you read though. Its a more recent description, though, that said, the more recent stuff is generally considered more accurate, and the Revenge of the Sith novel was personally vetted by George Lucas himself.

Losing a sword in a fight may not be likely in real life but 1. your opponent isn't blasting your ass with Force Lightning and 2. you're not fighting six hundred opponents all at the same time. The life of a Dark Jedi is somewhat different from one on one martial or sword arts training.

That said...

Seismic Bombs!!1!1!one!!!11eleven!111!11

Those of you aware will already know my Star Wars Physics theory about Seismic Bombs being proof that any attempts to apply real world physics or theories to Star Wars are pointless from the offset given that Star Wars defies even the most basic laws known to man. The ability for giant crushing sound waves equivalent to earthquakes travelling through empty space is top of the list. Forget the ability to hear lasers and explosions in space. Those are small fries compared to the ability to have a bomb that creates a seismic ripple that magically travels through an empty vacuum.

Anyway... I still advocate the position that internal switches are suicidal. That point about Ysalamiri + Internal Switch = Death is extremely accurate. The sames true about Internal Switch + Force Suppression = Death. Not the smartest idea in the book really.

Shinichi Endymiron K

17-07-2005 17:24:12

Mal I'm willing to bet that the swordfighting that you do is in a controled environment using particular styles. Those fights are clean and nice compaired to an actual deathmatch. Someday you should attempt to watch an underground deathmatch from China, Thailand, Korea, or the Phillipines. In those actual matches there is a significant increase in the probability of losing your weapon, as you'll most likely lose the hand that's holding it as well. All in all they're very dirty and don't look anything like a studio, or choreographed fight.

Kar, I never said they used plasma. I was talking about weapons currently in development by the U.S. Army. Once we figure out that whole stable field thing we're gonna see some nifty s**t.

Muz Ashen

18-07-2005 18:17:34

Goat, Obi Wan is no scientist. What he meant to say was "Concussive bombs." Feel better?

As to losing your weapon in battle: Maybe not so often when used against much lesser opponents, but against equal or better opponents, it's a fact of life.

Matter of fact, one of the first kata of ZNKR Iaido involves a strike to the wrist to cause a swordsman to lose his sword. This is before one even tests to ikkyu.

As you get higher and higher up, many, MANY attacks are directed at disarmament...and this is alos a cold reality of battle.

There's a reason men at arms made use of chains to secure their swords when in armor.

Xanos

19-07-2005 07:51:21

Its not just what Obi-Wan calls them its what they're factually accepted as being in all Star Wars material, and seismic charges are now an accepted form of weaponry.

Shinichi Endymiron K

19-07-2005 10:37:32

Thanks for the Backup Muz :D

karimicus

19-07-2005 11:38:20

Kar, I never said they used plasma.  I was talking about weapons currently in development by the U.S. Army.  Once we figure out that whole stable field thing we're gonna see some nifty s**t.

Don't think i mentioned u there thar :P

/me beats thar with his bokken sticks

Shinichi Endymiron K

19-07-2005 17:40:28

Thank you. :P

Jaymz

20-07-2005 13:54:45

Eh, if you lose your lightsaber in battle you deserve to die, You are looking at the bad side of locked switches, what if in a combat manuever your hand slips off the switch and deignites right as you were about to parry a blow, boom your dead=bad. There are equal pro's and cons to them all, its all with the combat style and user.

Drodik alTor

21-07-2005 01:55:46

im no expert on lightsabers but I think with force activated switches within the hilt itself is intentially activated and de-activated by the force signature of the user who made it. I dont think it will just shut off on accident.

Jaymz

21-07-2005 11:33:47

I know Ossus, I was talking about igniter buttons that need constant pressure to stay ignited. I like internal switchs, but like I said, it all depends on the style and the user.