If Bail and his wife had wanted a boy

Anonymous

29-05-2005 21:38:37

What do you think would have happened had Bail and his wife wanted to adopt a baby boy instead of girl, and so adopted Luke instead of Leia? I imagine that Leia would have ended up with Obi-Wan as Luke did, but how would she have motivated Han to rescue the imprisoned Luke? Or would it have gone totally differently?

Zhilvinas

29-05-2005 23:04:23

In either case, Luke would be the force-sensitive one I imagine, so everything would be totally different

Xanos

30-05-2005 07:23:08

Obi-Wan "You don't want to take the baby boy, you and your wife want to adopt a baby girl"
Bail "I dont want to take the baby boy, me and my wife want to adopt a baby girl"
Obi-Wan "Move along, move along"
Bail "Move along, move along"

Halcyon

30-05-2005 07:31:20

Obi-Wan "You don't want to take the baby boy, you and your wife want to adopt a baby girl"
Bail "I dont want to take the baby boy, me and my wife want to adopt a baby girl"
Obi-Wan "Move along, move along"
Bail "Move along, move along"

LOL...so true

Xhedias

30-05-2005 11:26:28

Luke and Leia are both force sensitive. Luke just trained earlier than Leia did. They are twins, so they are pretty compatable. Read NJO, leia begins training.

Aerick

31-05-2005 11:22:54

RoTJ, Luke says "The Force runs strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. And...my sister...has it." Leia is just as strong in the Force as Luke is. It's just that by the end of the movie, she has yet to begin any kind of Jedi training.

And Leia begins training far earlier than the NJO books, but she's never devoted herself to the training due to other duties, so Luke is still 'stronger' just from practice and experience.

Jaymz

31-05-2005 11:53:50

I believe that Liea would have become the Jedi Master which would be really wierd.

"Brother.....You have a Brother...if you won't join me then maybe he will."

"Leia....I am your Faja."

Alanna

31-05-2005 18:00:37

I believe that Liea would have become the Jedi Master which would be really wierd.

Why would it have been weird?

Timbal

31-05-2005 18:54:28

It would have really been different. I just finished reading Tatooine Ghost, and she deals with a lot of the issues that she had about Vader (In essence, she hated and feared him). So, if Leia (Instead of Luke) would have gone up against him in the final battle of RotJ, chances are really good that she would have let her hatred of Vader turn her over to the Dark Side, like the Palpatine wanted Luke to do.

In the meantime Luke would have been on the Endor moon getting groped and kissed by Solo. :D

Kschamehellan

31-05-2005 19:25:15

In the meantime Luke would have been on the Endor moon getting groped and kissed by Solo.  :D

Well, that's an unpleasant thought. However, I would like to see what the stories are like if things like this got switched. Might be interesting...

Jaymz

31-05-2005 20:37:53

It would have been wierd because we know the name Luke Skywalker its branded into us like a cattle prod, if it were Liea Organa, just not the same

Xanos

01-06-2005 08:53:17

Well... she wouldn't have hated Vader because she wouldn't have had her parents and all her family and friends blown up when Alderaan went kaboom. It would have been Leia Skywalker and Luke Organa too. It would probably have been rather different though. Leia would have been more or less the same as Luke but I doubt Luke would have been the same as Leia. A Jedi Knight was a Jedi Knight, gender had little to do with it, meaning Leia could have filled Luke's character profile pretty easily. Luke probably wouldn't have been able to do the same kind of things she did in the Senate though.

Muz Ashen

01-06-2005 10:38:44

Luke'd be a senator, much like Leia was...growing up around it, in a political family instead of a moisture farm would have helped that.

Obi-wan would have been much more involved earlier with leia... A young farm-girl is likely to be pressured into marriage and child-rearing at a younger age... which would be hard to tear her away from to fight the empire... so he might have started training her at a much younger age...making her a bad-arse jedi and fully trained rather than keeping the secret (he kept Luke un-trained as a matter of keeping a low profile, IMO...a tactic that would be ill advised with Leia). No need for princess saving, no chewie, no han. Some might argue, no sequel.

Upon completion of the Death Star, the rebs conspire with Ben and Leia and take it down...Luke or Leia might have shot it, but the inbred talent with flight would have been used to shred the death star. No han means no capture of the falcon, means ben doesn't die on the death star.

In the party afterwards, Ben introduces Luke to Leia, and drops the brother-sister bomb on them. He sends the both of them to dagobah. Yoda trains the pair. Luke is good, but Leia has more experience and training at this point.

Vader, pissed that a station that took 20 years to build got sploded by some punk rebs, goes looking for the twins, chasing down and capturing Wedge? Biggs? Organa?, someone to torture and drag them out of hiding on dagobah. No bespin, no lando.

They show up, duel with vader a bit in a wicked fight, who then hits them with the "who's your daddy" speech. Straying too close to the dark side or losing the battle and deciding to retreat, the two back down and escape...coming up with the plan to save vader from the dark side.

here's where it gets tricky. Vader now knows his kids are jedi. Does he really want to stay darksider? The palps has him on the necessary drugs (but the OT line "as father and son" indicates he doesn't seem too worried about finding another source), but does he really toe the party line, or does he really want the palps out of the picture?

My guess is that he really wants palps out of the picture. Setting up a meeting with the twins somewhere, Vader finds out that Obi is with them, and goes a little apecrap... seeing as how Obi pretty much wrecked his body... Does he try to kill obi, or does he chill out, realizing that Obi has actually raised his kids up to save him and take out the emperor, i don't know.

Anyway, Vader takes the twins back to the emperor, under the guise of having found two new recuits for him. The emperor is creaming his robes...two new really force sensitive young jedi at his disposal. The twins act all darkside until they get there. And then we have some wicked three on one sabre/force fight, culminating in vader probably flushing palps down the shaft and getting fried.

So...ben might still be alive. han isn't in it, so greedo wouldn't be able to shoot first. lando's not in it, so luke's hand doesn't reappear for a few seconds on bespin. The twin know they are related, so no love story. No han means no jabba or boba fett. And there's no need for a massive space battle on the second death star so no ewoks. Palpy still gets tossed down a hole.

Better or worse? You decide.
my two cents, anyway.

Alanna

01-06-2005 11:25:55

LOL! Nicely done :lol:

Jaymz

01-06-2005 11:52:37

two cents? That was at least a grand worth.

Timbal

01-06-2005 18:40:42

Xanos, good flippin' point, I forgot about that. :P

Muz, a few things might be slightly different, but that sounds pretty much on track (And humorous, I might add). Very interesting thoughts indeed. :D

Callus

01-06-2005 20:43:19

Well those of us who have read some of the books know leia's force sensitive anyway but I think one of them should have turned to the dark side.

That has nothing to do with anything but yeah...

Jaymz

03-06-2005 20:40:48

Leia should have, Luke was to much of a wuse to turn to the dark side. He wouldn't last. Leia had the anger to turn. Besides Luke wouldn't last two seconds against Darth Vader before he got the suite.

Xhedias

03-06-2005 22:46:48

Such is your opinion, but, luke pwn3d him pretty bad in RotJ. A few more years of training, he would have upright crushed him.

Xanos

06-06-2005 16:53:37

Well during Dark Empire Luke does turn to the dark side, if only for a short period of time, and it's Leia who talks him out of it and turns him back to the light. Shame its only a comic. Dark Empire would probably make a good story if it was done properly as a novel as it could focus on the characters rather than just having double page spreads of super super super star destroyers etc. It's very much the same sacrifice as in KOTOR1. Luke turns to the dark side believing the only way to destroy the Emperor is with the dark side. Bad move. I guess it's not a whole lot different to Anakin, he had planned to overthrow Palps- and would have had he not had his arms and legs chopped off.

Dark Empire suffers from the same problem a lot of older material does... crappy 1980s style design. It'd actually stand a chance at being half decent if it didn't insist on having a new super-death-star-like-weapon every other page. Unfortunately it suffers from a poorly drawn comic strip and a plot thats so far stretched lots of people, including official authors, try to steer clear of it and just ignore its events.

Everywhere other than Dark Empire portrays Luke and Leia as wholly light side for a reason: to show what Anakin could have become had he not fallen to the dark side. Luke's sort of meant to be symbolic of the true Anakin Skywalker had he reached his full potential as the Chosen One of the Jedi Order. After falling in the lava he was meant to have lost 70% of his potential or something (Lucas quote). He was still as good as he ever was as Anakin Skywalker, but he lost the potential to become so much more. Luke's meant to reflect what he could have become had he had a chance to live up to that potential. Hence why by the time of the New Jedi Order era, and even moreso the upcoming Legacy of the Jedi era, Luke is pretty much a Jedi Master of an even higher level than Yoda ever was.

Octavian

15-06-2005 22:34:08

Whats Legacy of Jedi era? Are they writtin new books after NJO? If so what? Who could they fight? Haha empire is gone, they are allies now as well as with the chiss.....umm Ssi Ruvvi or whatever are semi-neutral now if i remember one of the books correctly, what is left?