Satisfied: Jac's review of Episode III

Jac Cotelin

19-05-2005 11:10:43

I have had the pleasure of seeing the movie twice in the past twelve hours. The midnight showing and the seven am showing. I must say -- the experiences were amazing. Amazingly different too.

I was nervous at the start of the movie for the first time. I could not sit still. I kept saying to my roommate "I can't believe that we are about to see the last Star Wars film." I had tried very hard not to set my expectations too high for the film, but by that point, I don't think there was anything that could stop the ultimate anticipation. When the music started and the text started to crawl, I was at the edge of my seat. I wanted to absorb every detail that I could. I was excited, yet sad at the same time that the saga was about to end.

When the first battle starts rolling, I felt like it went slow at first. I think that it was just the first viewing experience though. My return to the 7 am showing made the first battle all the better. I found myself in the heat of it all wanting to analyze everything that was going on around the jedi. In the background there are ships burning, fighters exploding and destruction imminent. I literally had to force myself to pay attention to the center of the screen. The second veiwing was much more relaxing. I saw things that I didn't even notice in the first pass. All in all -- you must see the Battle of Coruscant a second time to appreciate it.

When the Jedi enter Greivous's ship, it becomes less overwhelming. The action on the ship is awsome. The first thing I noticed was how much better the lightsaber combat was already. Even just blocking blaster shots was remarkably improved. The comedic elements were put in well and the diialouge was not bad at all. The way that Anakin chops off Dooku's hands was awesome and you can feel the conflict in the jedi from the very start. I was a little annoyed with Dooku's dialogue ("Double the arrogance, double the fall"??) but he dies so quickly that it was ok. I think for me, Dooku dying was like saying goodbye to Episodes I and II.

The second quarter of the movie was reviewed as slow and not quite as good. I wasn't unhappy with it, though, and it actually improved dramatically on the second showing. The relationship between Obi Wan and Anakin shines and the political unrest in the Republic is communicated well. I had trouble with Padme's announcement that she was pregnant at first, but when I saw it again, it really wasn't too bad. There was only one really bad part where Anakin and Padme go into a "no I love YOU more" battle....that was gay, but I was able to drop it from my mind when scenes with Palpatine showed up. That guy was brilliant. He had everything planned. He knew *exactly* how Anakin was going to respond to everything he said. His take on the Sith was a great scene. In the second showing, I was concentrating more on his facial expressions. The smirks that Palpatine gave when talking to Anakin speak a lot for his ways.

I think my favorite scene in the movie is the one where Anakin is in the Council chambers and Padme is at her window. You can see the gears grinding in Anakin's head. I need to go back and see it again, but I am pretty sure that in that scene you can hear Vader saying "You don't know the power of the Dark side of the force" right before the Emperor starts to speak. Hopefully I wasn't hearing things -- it was the second showing that I heard it in and I was just like "omg that's awesome." Really this whole time you can see and feel why and how Anakin is getting to the decisions he makes. You can tell that he doesn't know what he wants to do when he goes to Palp's office. You can tell the conflict that is saving Padme or staying true to the Jedi. What I was unsure of, was whether the Emperor knew and planned out the battle with Mace the way it was. I think that he was really defeated by Mace, but at times it seemed like he was being sarcastic with the "i can't hold it any longer." If he really did have that all under control, then he truly is a badass. If not - -then it just makes Anakin's fall all the more compelling. Some people complained that Anakin switched too fast, but I didn't have a problem with it. Anakin needed to learn from Palpatine and once he made the choice to do so, there was no turning back.

The next scenes went by like a blur in the first showing. Anakin rampaging through the temple and Mustafar were just awesome. On the second showing I was watching the background action as Anakin is walking through the temple. You can see Jedi getting killed by the troopers on lower levels. It was awesome. Part of me the whole time was screaming at Anakin not to do it, but at the same time, I was like "Dark Side fuck yeah!" All of this leading into Order 66.....I mean -- jesus that was strong. Lucas couldn't have really done it any better. The Troopers shooting into the backs of the fallen Jedi was rough on me. I was cheering for those bastards in Episode II -- the fact that they can just turn on the Jedi was beyond comprehension. What made it especially good was the fact that Obi had a nickname for the Clone Commander that ordered him killed. Just shows that they really arean't human. Oh yeah -- I liked how the Greivous battle went. Just shows you that without the fore, lightsabers are really worthless.

In the second showing there were only a couple scenes that gave me chills again, and one of them was the scene where Padme confronts Anakin on Mustafar. When Anakin see's Obiwan in the ship and starts choking Padme I was just, well, shocked. His screams at Obiwan are very convincing. Now, some people have said that they preferred the battle of Yoda and the Emperor to the one between Obi and Anakin. I like it the opposite. I was expecting more out of Yoda than he delivered, and was hoping to see the use of more general force powers between him and the Emperor. The Emperor throwing around Senate seats like nothing was cool as hell though -- that and his insane cackle the whole time. I felt that the ObiAni battle was better though. It was faster and more impassioned. The whole time I knew the outcome, yet I was cheering for Anakin to pull through, and cheering for Obi to at least try and talk sense into Anakin. Obi should have pulled out the adme card on the kid and didn't. When Obiwan walks away from the charred Anakin I was just saying to myself "you stupid motherfucker. Kill the bitch." Think of all the people that would not have died if Obiwan had finished the job.

With that -- I found it VERY interesting that Anakin's ultimate downfall was his own arrogance. His turn to the Dark Side happens because he put too much faith in the visions he was having in a nightmare. Granted -- his mom died from what was in his visions, but he never took a moment to realize that perhaps he was wrong. He never even considered the fact that he could be seeing the future of the actions he was about to take (going to the dark side). e though he was changing to a different path from his visions when really he was staying right on course. The other was that move he tried to pull that ended in his limbs getting severed. He was arrogant and thought that he could do anything. That was what got him in the end.

The whole last fifteen minutes of the movie were just poetic nostalgia. The twins birth and delivery to the planets, the making of Vader. All sweet. I LOVED seeing through the eyes of the vader helmet. I thought that the "nooo" at the end was a bit weak, and kinda wanted the emperor to cower a bit at it, but I didn't mind as much on the second viewing.

I was very happy with the loose ends getting tied up. C3P0 and R2 going to Antilles and 3p0 getting a memory wipe. The communing with the dead/living through Qui Gon. The shut down of all the droids was my favorite. I had been bothered by that all last week thinking "what the hell happened to all those droids?" Seeing Tarkin and the death star was sweet.

All in all -- I really wanted to watch the Original Trilogy once I left the theater. I think that's something Lucas did very well in connecting the movies. Really -- although I was sad that this was the last movie, I was very satisifed where it ended up. ALl of my questions were answered. ALl of my expectations were met. We had an action-packed, intense and dark movie. I was satisfied.

Oh -- the other thing I was thinking about was how this story now brings things into perspective. I want to go back and watch the other movies. I want to watch Palpatine in the first two to see how he starts grooming anakin. I want to watch for more of the subtle hints that would not have been noticed without this movie. I definately want to go back and see the Original Trilogy again -- can you imaging what Vader is thinking about when he finds his children? bout Padme? -- What's going through his head when he kills the Emperor? Is he thinking about Luke or is he thinking about Padme? Too bad we'll never really know.

I'm going to see the movie again in a few days. I was very happy to see it a second time. It helped a lot in absorbing the whole thing. It was a grat experience, and I hope you enjoy/enjoyed it as well.

Jac

Anonymous

19-05-2005 11:28:19

IM GOIN TO SEE IT IN 3 HOURS!! THANKS FOR THE REVIEW IT MAKES IT MORE EXCITING!! PWNED!!!! B) B) B) B)

Sato Khan

19-05-2005 12:33:10

I can now die a happy man. Not only was the action outstanding, the plot was great. And I hate to say it but the characters that usually irritate me (Jar Jar and 3P0 either had no lines or weren't annoying at all). I can't wait to see it again tonight :P

Jaymz

19-05-2005 13:00:29

Wow, awesome review, I don't think anyone could have done it better. thanks alot man, it actually opened my eyes to several things i havn't thought about till you said it, like what would Vader be thinking of when he found out he had kids. Do you think that if Padme hadn't exsisted there would be no Empire?

Xanos

19-05-2005 13:52:21

"I think my favorite scene in the movie is the one where Anakin is in the Council chambers and Padme is at her window."

Totally agree there... I thought that was a great use of cinematic affects. I was really pleased to see Lucas make a Star Wars film that didn't totally rely on single shot scenes and dialogue, but more passive approaches- like the flipping back and forth between Anakin and Padme.

"I need to go back and see it again, but I am pretty sure that in that scene you can hear Vader saying "You don't know the power of the Dark side of the force"

Really? *blinks* If so then uber-cool. I'll listen for that next time I see it.

"I think that he was really defeated by Mace, but at times it seemed like he was being sarcastic with the "i can't hold it any longer.""

I've not worked though out yet either... he managed a stalemate with Yoda, who is stronger than Mace, so I don't get how he'd lose to Mace. But, yeah, parts of it seem like he's genuinely lost, other parts (especially the screaming) sound almost sarcastic (though that would imply Anakin was an idiot for thinking sarcastic cries for help were genuine). I didn't feel like Anakin turned to the dark side too fast... it's not really like he had a choice. I also thought Hayden was good in the way he seemed to reluctantly fall to his knees before Palpatine, and when he cried out "What have I done?!". To me it seemed more like he was thinking "[Expletive Deleted], I just killed Mace Windu... the Jedi are gonna kill me... I need Palpatine to save Padme... I don't have a choice".

"I liked how the Greivous battle went. Just shows you that without the fore, lightsabers are really worthless."

I liked that. I didn't like it so much in the book because Grievous seemed like Obi-Wans equal. That was cool... but since he was portrayed as Obi-Wan's equal the fact he died so easily (by a blaster) seemed stupid as it left you thinking "Why didn't he just deflect the shots?". I really liked Grievous as a coward in the film. He was badass, but he also knew he was a wuss compared to a fully trained Jedi Master. It came across well... badass lightsaber duellist... but no Jedi.

"His turn to the Dark Side happens because he put too much faith in the visions he was having in a nightmare."

I like the fact that his visions may well even have been Palpatine feeding him with bad thoughts. I like the fact that Palpatine pretty much engineered EVERYTHING from day one. On which note:

"The smirks that Palpatine gave when talking to Anakin speak a lot for his ways."

Damn right. I thought his acting there was brilliant. Lucas even hints at his original script that stated Palpatine had "manipulating the midichlorians to create Anakin"... if you watch closely when he says "his master knew how to create life" he turns and smiles at Anakin... I thought that was a really great moment. The smug grin when he's talking about how Plageuis died in his sleep was sweet too.

"Is he thinking about Luke or is he thinking about Padme? Too bad we'll never really know."

I actually have heard rumours that Lucas is considering getting somebody to rewrite the Original Trilogy novels which I thought would be really cool. The old novels are rather crappy and have loads of inconsistencies (especially with the Prequel facts now). It'd be interesting to see them expand on Vader's inner thoughts and feelings.

Tiberius

19-05-2005 14:23:44

I think the dialog in the first quarter of the Movie was pretty weak, I was expcting a bit more from Lucus. But the movie made up after Palpatine was rescued, I did not much like his reactions when Anakin was fighting Dooku, "Yess" in the unusual way as if cheering on a sports team.

But i must say the movie was every much as I expected, a few surprises here and there but nothing astronomical that I was aware of before hand. Over all it was better than the first two episodes, but could have been even better if the first portion dialog was uplifted a bit; come on he had three years to make it perfect, and I dont think that was achieved.

My fav quote was "Power, Untimate Power" it sent a chill down my spine when I heard Palpatine say those words. Although it did freak me out a bit when he whailed like a banshee, in both in regualr speach and during the battles.

If you knew me personally you would soon realize that I can mimic Palpatines voice to the very decibal, I have been streching my vocal cords and can induce his accent with 99 percent accuracy. It seems that his voice was digitally refortified in EPS III, that is going to play havoc on my vocal cords, but I love a challenge.

Other than the few things I mentioned above, the movie was great, and I plan to see in again on the weekend.

Cheers.

freshjive taldrya

19-05-2005 14:46:10

I have to admit, I was a bit......dissapointed.

Now, I know this aint gonna win any awards or anything, but at the same time, when I left the theater, I felt like I had been robbed of my childhood.

I don't consider my expectations too high, I don't think I was too hyped up. I just dont know what happened.

I'm not ready to give up that easy though. I think there were serious technical problems with the theater i saw it in. The sound wasnt very loud, which can make or break a movie. I didn't feel like I was sucked in to the movie at all. Plus, the stupid theater left some of the lights on the whole movie, so that kinda sucked.

Pluses? I saw the movie at midnight also...but while the other 12 auditoriums were standing room or the floor only, there were only 25 people tops in mine :P I went with my brother and best friend and we got the best seats :P

Ian McDiarmand is awesome, Ewan McGregor is awesome (damn those Scots and Brits! They can act!) Hayden Christensen, in the words of Dave Chappelle....what a biggity BITCH! They turned one of the most evil and mysterious villians in movie history into a whiny dude trying to save his girlfriend. I understand the tragic hero stuff, and yes, some of the action of the Jedi Purge is pretty brutal and evil but I think they took some of the evilness away from him by writing him as a reluctant badguy.

Yoda and R2-D2 are probably the most badass characters in Star Wars. Yoda flings those Royal Guards like they're his prison bitches and R2 handles...well, pretty much anything thrown at him.

Other thoughts? Some of the dialog should belong next to the sharp stinky cheddar in the cheese section of the supermarket. Anakin/Vader's "Force explosion" coulda been a lot cooler (I was expecting some kind of pulse emanating from him, destroying the whole room, instead of bending a few pipes) and, I think Lucas could have put more focus into the movie. What do I mean by focus? I mean leaving the camera on one scene for more than just four minutes and then jumping halfway across the galaxy, making it seem like Obiwan travelled from Coruscant to the Outerrim in milliseconds. Many of the scenes were extremely short, the big battles were the centerpieces, and yes, they were cool, but it seemed like they didn't support or link to each other that well through the rest of the story.

I dunno, I'm going to see it again once finals are over for me, I'm not ready to give up yet, I don't want to be robbed of my childhood and all those years as a kid I spent devoted to Star Wars. I waited for a long time for this to come, so hopefully, everything will be perfect the next time.

Mike Halcyon

19-05-2005 15:24:42

I didn't like it as much as I'd like to. There are a lot of awesome and touching scenes (Vader killing the Jedi, Aayla Secura getting shot :o and the battle between Vader and Obi-Wan) but at the same time, George did "his thing": The unnecessary droid humor in the beginning, the mentioning of Midichlorians, the absolutely awkward and dumb Frankenstein/Platoon-impression from Vader that belonged into a B-movie (and, NO, Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith is *not* a B-movie and was never supposed to be one. ANH - maybe. But not all the others).

Long story short, could have been better. Also, please somebody kill George Lucas before he starts writing the first season of his new Star Wars TV show.

(BTW now we finally know who the best saberist in the known universe was: Obi-Wan. :) )

Jac Cotelin

19-05-2005 19:08:30

I didn't like it as much as I'd like to. There are a lot of awesome and touching scenes (Vader killing the Jedi, Aayla Secura getting shot  :o and the battle between Vader and Obi-Wan) but at the same time, George did "his thing": The unnecessary droid humor in the beginning, the mentioning of Midichlorians, the absolutely awkward and dumb Frankenstein/Platoon-impression from Vader that belonged into a B-movie (and, NO, Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith is *not* a B-movie and was never supposed to be one. ANH - maybe. But not all the others).

Long story short, could have been better. Also, please somebody kill George Lucas before he starts writing the first season of his new Star Wars TV show.

(BTW now we finally know who the best saberist in the known universe was: Obi-Wan. :) )

Jesus -- this movie is such a love/hate thing. I can't believe you didn't like the R2D2 humor. Out of all of the lame and corny hit in the entire series, that was some of the only stuff I laughed out loud at. I don't think it was unnecessary at all either. Star Wars has always had a bit of a light side to it -- hell you should know this Mike. If there wasn't some sort of humor and fun in the galaxy, why the hell try to save it?

I liked the midichlorian reference. I think Goat has it right in saying that Lucas was trying to suggest that Palpatine created Anakin. That explains the fatherless birth, etc. etc.

And really -- how did you think that the Vader creation scene would go? Obviously the guy had to be on an operating table -- obvjously he had to be in pain. Like I said -- the noooo and destruction crap was weak, but not bad enough to destroy the whole movie.

I think you guys are letting a few little scenes that take up maybe 10% of the movie ruin the whole thing. Lucas did a ton of things right in there. But man, if I were to go back and look at the Star Wars movies with the same impunity that people are now, I would have never been a fan. I dunno -- maybe it's just me. I didn't think Episodes I and II were the best, but I didn't hate them either. They did teach me to not expect anything out of Ep III, which is what if seems like you guys didn't do. If you go into a movie expecting it to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, you're always going to be disappointed.

And dude -- look forward to the TV show. Like it or not, it's the only forum we have left for video star wars. Lucas is only planning on starting it up and then handing it off to someone -- it'll be fine.

Jac

freshjive taldrya

19-05-2005 21:18:16

Well, as stated, I believe my experience was severely worsened by the technical problems the theater I saw it in had. I'm not willing to give up on it just yet. Like Lucas himself said, sound is 50% of the movie, and the sound I heard sucked. It was so bad that in places you had to strain to hear dialog.

Upon further reflection, which I should have spent studying for my last final, I realized there were a TON of subleties in the film. There were moments when my brother and friend looked at me like "What the hell is this [Expletive Deleted] you dragged us out here to watch?!" but I fully understood. I'm going to see it again definately, I don't want to think I wasted 22 years of my life as a fan and have it end like this. Hopefully the sound and technical problems will be ironed out.

BTW...anyone know how I can contact Lucasfilm or THX and complain about the quality? I know Lucas is a stickler for that kind of thing and hopefully I can get some free tickets.

Anonymous

19-05-2005 21:46:49

I was dissapointed in how corny 50% of the movie is. It ruins the other 50% of the movie. Needless to say...I came out of the theater feeling two things. The first feeling was that, the good parts of the movie completely rock the other Prequels. The second feeling was that the bad parts of the movie make it one of the worst in SW history.

And will people please stop being like "Only this parts bad really. Your expectations were too high! I cant believe you're acting this way!". I could say the same crap to people who liked the movie, but I don't, I accept their opinion. Personally though, I felt Episode 3 was crap.

Xhedias

19-05-2005 22:55:26

Jac, I think Doku said, "Double the power, double the pride in killing you..." or some bit. The look on Doku when palpy told ani to kill him was pretty emotional (the omg i cant beleive you did this you peice.)

Order 66, what can i say? That had to be the hardest thing for me to watch in the whole movie, watching Mundi running next to the clone troopers, suddenly he doesnt hear foots steps and looks back at them to find their rifles cocked. The twilek jedi, getting shot about 50 times as the camera zooms away (over kill, hard to watch).

As cruel as it seemed, i was the only one laughing as Ani was choking a youngling and batting down another, It was just kind of amusing to see the little 5 year olds try to fight back, thought when he said "Master Skywalker, what are we to do? Theres to many of them!" Kinda disheartned me to know his imminent death.

The death of Nute Gunray, I thought that was pretty amusing too, I cant believe ani sat there and listened to his BS lecture about how he was promised peace, then all of a sudden striking him down.

All in all, it was a pretty cool movie, i defiantly want to see it again, and yes, i expected more out of yoda also.

Jac Cotelin

19-05-2005 23:26:21

I was dissapointed in how corny 50% of the movie is. It ruins the other 50% of the movie. Needless to say...I came out of the theater feeling two things. The first feeling was that, the good parts of the movie completely rock the other Prequels. The second feeling was that the bad parts of the movie make it one of the worst in SW history.

And will people please stop being like "Only this parts bad really. Your expectations were too high! I cant believe you're acting this way!". I could say the same crap to people who liked the movie, but I don't, I accept their opinion. Personally though, I felt Episode 3 was crap.

Where are you getting the 50% corny from?

As for the expectations, I'm just speaking my mind. I could say "you didn't I like it and I did, so let's agree to disagree" but that would be retarded. By saying your expecations were high I was hoping to hear you come back with what you actually expected from the movie.

Sure -- maybe my expectations were too low for this one -- but I really doubt it. It's a Star Wars film. I always expect them to be great and I think this one was.

Jac

Tarax Kor

20-05-2005 01:41:50

I only had a problem with two things:

First - Dialogue.

Some of the dialogue that was written was just crap. Most of it was Yoda's. Lucas was trying to use as much juice from Yodaspeak as he could by tring to make it sound funny, to a point. Also, the way that Anakin said his dialogue... at times it just wasn't that believable. That also goes for other characters such as Windu at certain points. Ian McDirmid was a genious. He was my favourite character in the movie.

2nd - Path down the Dark Side.

Ok... this ties up with the dialogue part. Even though ANakin was badass in the end, his dialogue with Obi-Wan just didn't make it as believable. If they kept the yello-eyes thing going on, and Hayden was better at actual dialogue, they could have pulled it off a gazillion times better. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad... it just could have been better.

Well... actually... I guess there's more than two things. Heh.

3rd - Kashyyyk

Ok... that place is supposed to have no plains, beaches, and mountains. None that are visible, at least. It should ALL be covered in n-km high trees! The battle should have been on tree-tops in the forest. Not on a sandy beach. And there shouldn't have been grassy plains! But huge-ass branches!

4th - General Grievous

That dude put up a pathetic fight. If it could have even be called that. He should have been able to last longer. I mean, come on. 4 rapid-moving robotic arms with lightsabres? Wtf? He should have at least GRAZED Kenobi. But noooooooooo.

There were several other things which irked me... oh yeah. One of them being that when Anakin and Obi-Wan were fighting over the lava river on the flying droids/platform, they didn't even get hot. But when Anakin's 4 feet away from the lava on the 'beach' he starts burning... that's stoopid. Oh, and that Anakin and Padmé's apartment in Coruscant has no wall but just open space where anyone can waltz in, or coincidentally, walk out and fall down a long, long way.

OH... and I didn't need to see Padmé giving birth. That was a disgusting 5 minutes. Eugh.

Mike Halcyon

20-05-2005 03:56:33

Jac, I wasn't referring to R2 - some of his scenes were funny and should be. I was referring to the gruesome Battledroid humor the Trade Federation droids seemed to possess. This has NO place in a movie like this. It was okay in the first, but it's definitly NOT okay here.

The dialogue sucked for a good part, too. Though i give the movie the benefit of the action here - Terminator never had good dialogue, either. Or did it? Guess George has to work on that.

I agree with Blade - as bad as that may be - but I felt two things, too, when I walked out of the theatre. I loved it for what it was: The last Star Wars movie, the final journey of Anakin Skywalker to the Dark Side and everything else. There were those touching scenes (*cries about Aayla*). But then there was the garbage like the last scene and everything else that has been mentioned (including General Grievous AT ALL. A coughing robot/reptile/whatever with lightsabers? That's like some sort of Munchkin playing card).

I don't think it was the worst Star Wars movie - that's clearly Episode I. But I had a better feeling when I walked out of Episode II.

freshjive taldrya

20-05-2005 05:01:47

My friend and brother had an interesting point about Star Wars. They have never been as big a fan as I am, but they both said to me: "What the hell kind of limb fetish does George Lucas have?"

Episode III had the most limbs cut off of any of the movies. Here is what we were able to tally:

Episode IV: Obi wan slices and dices the guy in the catina
Episode V: Vader gives Luke the chop and the absentee parent thing within minutes (Gee! Thanks Dad!)
Episode VI: Luke returns the favor to Vader, slices right arm off (again)
Episode I: Hmm, I dont recall, BUT, Maul gets cut in half.
Episode II: Anakin loses his right arm.
Episode III: Dooku loses both hands and his head, Grevious loses FOUR arms, and finally, Anakin loses his other arm and both legs

Thats a grand total of 15...count em...15 limbs and/or heads flying off in Star Wars. I coulda missed some too. Anyways, thought that was a fun fact

Anonymous

20-05-2005 08:07:50

Don't forget about the Jedi Sidious kills and the Seperatists Anakin kill, Jive, some of them loes limbs too

Anyway yeah 50% of the movie was CORNY. If you want to know what I'm talking about then go read my review :@

Xhedias

20-05-2005 08:46:26

I know sidious decapitates one of them at the waist.

Jac Cotelin

20-05-2005 11:13:16

Jac, I wasn't referring to R2 - some of his scenes were funny and should be. I was referring to the gruesome Battledroid humor the Trade Federation droids seemed to possess. This has NO place in a movie like this. It was okay in the first, but it's definitly NOT okay here.

The dialogue sucked for a good part, too. Though i give the movie the benefit of the action here - Terminator never had good dialogue, either. Or did it? Guess George has to work on that.

I agree with Blade - as bad as that may be - but I felt two things, too, when I walked out of the theatre. I loved it for what it was: The last Star Wars movie, the final journey of Anakin Skywalker to the Dark Side and everything else. There were those touching scenes (*cries about Aayla*). But then there was the garbage like the last scene and everything else that has been mentioned (including General Grievous AT ALL. A coughing robot/reptile/whatever with lightsabers? That's like some sort of Munchkin playing card).

I don't think it was the worst Star Wars movie - that's clearly Episode I. But I had a better feeling when I walked out of Episode II.

I don't think the actual dialouge was bad, per se, but the way it was done was bad. Lucas has this thing where every line of the movie has to be a shot of two people standing next to one another spouting off lines. There's just never anything going on other than that. You go back to the OT and you see scenes where Han is talking to Luke while working down in a repair hatch -- they are walking through a hangar as they go. I think that's what makes some of the dialogue weak. It's "you say this" now "you say that". Instead of "while you are doing this, say this and do that"

Jac

Alanna

20-05-2005 11:39:01

I don't think the actual dialouge was bad, per se

"I hate sand. Sand's rough. Not like you. You're smooth."

(Admittedly from Ep II because I haven't seen III yet...)

Bubbles

20-05-2005 12:15:20

*cough* Have to say I gave up after Ep I.....is Ep III likely to make sense not having seen II yet? Or should I go hire it?

*runs and hides*

Tarax Kor

20-05-2005 12:29:32

Greatest pick-up line.

EVER.

:D

Sato Khan

20-05-2005 14:48:25

roflmao @ Telona
sorry I just had to say that.
:w00t:

Uzbad

20-05-2005 18:57:58

*cough* Have to say I gave up after Ep I.....is Ep III likely to make sense not having seen II yet? Or should I go hire it?

I'd rent it if I were you. My friend went to see EP. III with me and hadn't seen Ep. I or II and he was lost the entire time. EPII connects the two and has some ok scenes.

Kaine Mandaala

21-05-2005 00:15:03

Dammit stop debating - go see it. Go see all of them!

It's Star Wars for Christ's Sake. You're in a Star Wars club. It's a no-brainer.

Mike Halcyon

21-05-2005 03:31:23

That's like being in the navy and never have swam.

Sith Bloodfyre

21-05-2005 04:51:15

So, I saw it twice today, within a few hours of each other. One point of mention, Mac Windu also loses a hand to Anakin, right before Palpatine toasts him with lightning.

As far as my thoughts? I have to say, I left the theater both times desiring a bit more. No, I wasn't completely disappointed, but yes, I would've liked a bit more length to each scene (the jumping irritated me), Anakin as the whiney bitch has bugged me since Episode Two, but I did like the change in attitude on Mustafar, both in his conversation with Padme (about "we'll rule the galaxy"), and much of his conversation with Obi-wan at the end.

As far as Obi-wan being the best lightsaber duelist, I don't think that was apparent at all; I believe Anakin's loss was because of his own arrogance, as well. I did enjoy the relationship between Obi-wan and Anakin, as well as the destruction of it.

The idea that all of the death, and the destruction of the Jedi might've been averted, if they had treated Anakin differently, and gone about having him spy on Palpatine in a different manner than what they did had occurred to me. "Hey Mace. Show the kid some trust, he's confused, but maybe he needs a [Expletive Deleted F-word]ing mentor, not an overseer. Bring him with you, show him you're not an asshole, or at least say good job, maybe?" But instead, "If what you say is true, then you'll have earned my trust. Stay here. Go wait in the Council chambers." How many people have heard "go sit at the kids table" and been pissed as all hell?

Speaking of Mace, it's been said that his Vaapad-style of fighting draws dangerously close to the Dark Side. I sort of saw that in the fight between him and Palpatine, at the end, and you could almost see him about to cross the line, and become Darth Shaft. In the fight, I don't believe Palpatine planned the loss to Mace at all; I think he was a bit surprised to see Anakin come in, and used the situation to his advantage. Palpatine is a skilled manipulator, and I believe he's used to making the most of situations when possible. During the fight, the two are intensely focused upon each other, almost as if the entire world has gone away, and nothing exists but the two of them. That was my opinion of the focus in their eyes, and the fact that nothing seemed to deter them from each other, not the glass shattering, the thought of falling to their deaths, nothing. Palpatine was about to have his ass handed to him, Anakin showed up, and being the quick thinker, Palpatine decides to use it to his advantage.

And to back up a moment, when Palpatine kills Kit Fisto, Saesee Tinn, and whoever the [Expletive Deleted F-word] that other dude was, so lame. None of them even really took more than a swing or two, and left themselves open. They might as well have tossed off their robes, bent over, and asked "Thank you sir, may I have another?" I don't think that shows Palpatine as a master lightsaber duelist, or more powerful than four Jedi Masters, so much as I think it shows those three Jedi were [Expletive Deleted F-word]ing pansies, and could've been choreographed a bit better, if the idea was to show Palpatine as being [Expletive Deleted F-word]ing brutal with a lightsaber.

Yes, my thought patters are random, but different stuff is leaping out at me. I wasn't too thrilled with Anakin losing all of his limbs to prothetics. It just seemed awful convenient, and somewhat wank. The way he popped himself off of that table, and was strapped down, that irritated me. I didn't think I was watching the creation of Darth vader, I thought I was watching a ripoff of a Frankenstein movie. I can understand wanting to show his strength, but [Expletive Deleted F-word], have him start throwing [Expletive Deleted] around, have him [Expletive Deleted F-word] up the entire room. And the TK squishing, and pulverizing, kind of weak. It could've been done better, but it did show one thing that I liked: not everyone needs Force Lightning to be an instant can of [Expletive Deleted F-word]-you-up.

It's been mentioned before, that Anakin post-armor wasn't the strongest Force-user, or some such, but I still think he was. He may not have had as many powers, but when you can use what you have to unheard of potential, you don't need every power known to man.

All-in-all, it wasn't a bad movie, but it still left me wanting more. Yeah, I wanted to watch the original trilogy when I got home, too, but I also wanted to go and make my own "next episode," almost. I was pissed off that, when we were told we'd find out the secrets of disappearing, and why Qui-Gon didn't, or whatever, all we get from Yoda is, "More training I have for you. Qui-Gon is a ghost-[Expletive Deleted F-word]er now, I'll train you how to communicate with him, because, yeah, he's back from the Netherworld of the Force." [Expletive Deleted F-word]ers. That pissed me off. Honestly, I sort of wanted to see Qui-Gon on Mustafar, and as Anakin is gimping around with one arm, when he says "I HATE YOU!" I wanted Qui-Gon to be there as a spirit. I wanted Obi-wan thinking Anakin was yelling at him, while in reality, Qui-Gon is standing behind, almost crying, because he knows Anakin blames him for everything.

I wanted to see Scout Troopers at Wookiee World using sniper rifles, popping off bitches, almost like in Battlefront. Yes, the game had issues, but it would've been cool for Lucas Films to show off similarities between the movies and the game productions. Marketing ploy, possibly. Cool as [Expletive Deleted F-word], might've been. We'll never know now.

I wanted to see Yoda pop off some Force [Expletive Deleted F-word]-you-up. I have a hard time thinking that all the Jedi can do is sense stuff, and use Force Push. [Expletive Deleted F-word]ing pansies. Yes, the Jedi use the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack. Thank you Master Yoda, courtesy of Empire Strikes Back. But still, there could've been a lot cooler [Expletive Deleted]. Imagine Yoda using some serious mind [Expletive Deleted], giving Palpatine a taste of feeling fear, watching as Yoda makes him sift through his mind, touching on the things Palpatine is afraid of. What did Palpatine say, "Once you gain power, you don't want to lose it..."? Think about Palpatine quivering and kneeling like a bitch, as he's forced to live through thoughts of being tried as a criminal, watching as he sees in his mind his great Empire being lost before he ever had a grip on it.

There was definitely stuff that could've happened, stuff I would've liked to have seen, things I would've liked to have been different. yes, it's still a movie to be added to the collection, and better than Episode One, much better than Episode Steel Magnolias (the love story bull[Expletive Deleted] in Two bugged me to no end), but not as good as I really would've liked to have seen.

Oh, and General grievous was a major disappointment. He seemed about as threatening as the Sand People camped out on the tracks of the Pod Race in Episode One; sure, they get a lucky shot, are sort of a nuisance, but for the most part, you don't pay attention to the sonsabitches.

Alanna

21-05-2005 19:41:52

*runs and hides*

Ep II was better than Ep III, so I'd rent Ep II and see whether you like that before you go see Ep III.

Having said that, the atmosphere in the cinema was a lot of fun :)