Irc Frustration

Traan Reith

15-01-2009 11:34:07

About three days ago, I tried to get on IRC, but got the message that my computer was infected by "a trojan or a virus" and it recommended a cleaner software. I ran my anti-virus, as well as downloaded and ran the cleaner. Both came up negative for any contamination, and yet I still can't get onto IRC. I emailed Help@undernet.org and haven't heard back from them.

Any suggestions?

I'm running Windows Onecare Live for my Antivirus/anti spyware, and I downloaded the moosoft cleaner that it recommended.

Alexander

15-01-2009 14:08:58

have you tried re-installing your irc client?

Prajna

15-01-2009 14:42:33

You downloaded a cleaner that a pop-up recommended? That doesn't sound like a good idea. Try removing all the junk you shouldn't have on your computer with add/remove programs. Then if you still are lost, try restoring windows to a previous date (like a week back).

Windos

15-01-2009 14:50:03

Yeah downloading a cleaner that a pop up told you to more or less = Downloading a vrius that some spyware or the like told you to =P

Traan Reith

15-01-2009 19:24:08

Here's what pops up when I try to get onto IRC.

AUTO [1] Infected with a virus or trojan, please clean your system. Cleaner @ http://www.moosoft.com (P31).
-
Closing Link: Traan by Zagreb.HR.Eu.UnderNet.org (G-lined)

And this is from 4 different IRC Clients.

I'm running a series of scanners over my PC, so far I've only found 2 items that Onecare missed. Both of which are now deleted, and I still can't get onto IRC. Kapersky found the 2 that Onecare missed, and bit defender is combing over the system right now. The cleaner I mentioned in the earlier post is the one IRC recommends. If you guys have any particular ones you swear by, I'm open to suggestions. I'd really hate to have to get another harddrive and start from scratch. Again.

Tra'an Reith

Windos

15-01-2009 20:54:03

What clients have you tried using?

Also if you *do* have to start again from scratch, don't buy a new hdd, just reuse your current one

Windos

15-01-2009 21:07:45

Wait... You've been G-Lined. There is you problem.

What is G:Line?

A G:line is different from a K:Line because it is network-wide global ban. It is held in memory somewhat like a ban in the bot X until its time expires. It is used to ban a person, domain or country from all servers on a network. It can also be used to ban servers from a network. The duration of G:Lines can be set for any length of time according to the type of problem, but most often is set for 2 hours. G:Lines are used in cases of extreme abuse on Undernet.

What to do if G:lined:

If you find you are G:Lined from Undernet Servers, then it means either YOU or someone using the same Internet Service Provider as you has been G:Lined. Some of the reasons for G:Line bans are denial of service attacks, repeat cloning, advertising, mass messaging and flooding.

The good thing is that a G:Lined will probably only be for two hours, except for extreme repeat offenders. You can usually wait that time out rather than trying to email the server's administration. It is very unfortunate that the innocents suffer from these bans, but it is an effective and necessary method of control against those who engage in these actions.

If you are the person G:Lined, then you should be sure to see the message from the server as to why you are banned. Then go to this website: http://www.user-com.undernet.org/documents/ and study the information about the rules and conduct for users. You may also email to ask for more information and be sure to include the complete message from the server about your ban. Email: abuse@undernet.org

If your Internet Service Provider is G:Lined, then you need to talk to its administration. A ban on your ISP is usually placed because they have a history of not dealing with abusive clients. (I personally had this happen to me. I spent two weeks trying to get a ban lifted and could not. My ISP had been warned by servers and the ISP continued to allow the abusive client access to service. I finally had to change my ISP, because the ban was NOT lifted.)

Most ISP's will usually listen to their clients and try to discontinue service of the abusive user. If not, then hopefully you have the choice of changing to another ISP. Use this address: abuse@undernet.org. to protest a G:Line. Send the complete information you see at the time you try to connect, so they can properly identify the abuser. Your ISP should also use this address to contact Undernet for more information about the abuser that the G:Line ban is set against.

From http://www.ircbeginner.com/ircinfo/h-glines.html

Traan Reith

15-01-2009 21:11:37

Kapersky, the cleaner IRC told me to use, Onecare, Bit defender. Norton security scanner is running right now, trend micro is lined up for after that. I'm going to find this thing if it's the last thing I do. I don't want to get another harddrive.

Tra'an Reith

I realized after posting this that you meant IRC clients, and that would be MIRC, & Clicks and Whistles.

Windos

15-01-2009 21:14:51

Firstly, read above, then email abuse@undernet.org with you IP address asking why you were banned and for the ban to be removed.

Also, why the hell are you so intent on getting a new hard drive? :P

Traan Reith

15-01-2009 21:19:33

Thanks Windos, I missed your big post about G-lining. And I'm intent on NOT getting a new harddrive.

TR

Tarax Kor

15-01-2009 21:59:42

Any suggestions?

Masturbate. Furiously.

Malik

16-01-2009 08:20:42

I had the same problem and also got no reply from undernet about the g-line, after a week or so it was lifted tho.

Traan Reith

16-01-2009 10:50:48

Update:

I heard back from Abuse@undernet.org farily quickly. They lifted the inital G-line, which had just been an automated trip, after I emailed them from my university email. Someone almost immediately tripped another automated gline. This one was just a basic one, not related to viruses. They got back to me and told me that since a second one had been tripped, that at this point, I have to get my System Admin to work with them to help handle the security issues. I work in a section of the IT department here, and raised my concerns with my boss via email, and I'm waiting for a response from him. I'm fairly sure that he's going to tell me that our Sys Admins aren't going to want to do anything about it, having no interest in making IRC easy to use for students. At this point I just have to wait until I get a clear direction to go with this.

Needless to say, many thanks go to Windos for his help on this, as it's his research that made getting this far possible.

Tra'an Reith

Windos

16-01-2009 15:36:11

Try using a webchat client? I'm not sure if they use *your* IP address, I know some of them specifically don't just try a few and see what works.

www.ircatschool.com <- was my favourite but doesn't apear to be up atm.
http://www.undernet.org/webchat.php

For more just google it, something will come up.

Traan Reith

16-01-2009 18:36:04

End Result:

So I'm back on IRC. These guys take g-lines seriously, and only gave me a second shot after verifying that I'm at a University. They lifted the ban a second time, and warned me to change all my info, email and name included, because what I had before was tripping thier auto-gline. As it is, these guys did a bunch of work to make sure I was a real person and that I wasn't hacked into the .edu account I use.

All else is good.

Tra'an Reith

RevengeX

17-01-2009 15:23:20

Norton and Trend Micro... Wow.

Prajna

18-01-2009 12:08:47

Spybot S&D is the most powerful program on the internet. If you really need muscle, then you want Search & Destroy.

Norton is half of your problems. I heard Norton 360 was good, but why not just get Avast or AntiVir? They are free and cover the 99.9% of the time you want. With S&D, you got your bases covered.

Using multiple virus defense programs is generally a bad idea. They tend to work against each other. Kapersky is a solid program, but I prefer good free things over equivalent priced programs.

Tarax Kor

18-01-2009 15:14:34

Kapersky is a solid program, but I prefer good free things over equivalent priced programs.

Kapersky is not free anymore. A good 'basic' free anti-virus program is also AVG Basic.

Microsoft's OneCare suite, which now costs $59.99, will be free come June (or July). I use it, and it keeps my computer spotless.