Jo Server Move

kraval

26-02-2008 13:06:01

Gaming Server Update
Posted By OPM Duga Taldrya Arkarso - 2/25/2008 [1/1/1900 8:50:00 PM]

With the renewal date for the Taldryan JO Server approaching we went ahead and replaced the old server with a new one. The reason for the change is to cut down to a 10 player limit instead of 12 players and a longer service term, which turns out to be a better price. It should run the same way, but if anyone finds any issues let Shadow or myself know. Check the Gaming Servers page for the new IP Address. Thanks for your time.

Comments:

Posted By DJK Raiju Kang - 2/25/2008 [9:05:00 PM]

ppl still play that game? dude, when whipping a dead horse a good sign to stop is when the flies have even decided to give up and go home.

Posted By DA Shadow Taldrya - 2/25/2008 [9:09:00 PM]

Good work thanking someone for providing the DB with a gaming server, Raiju. You're a great asset to your Clan.

As far as activity goes - Jedi Outcast and Academy are two of the most played platforms when it comes to vendettas participation-wise and activity-wise. http://www.darkjedibrotherhood.com/dbjedi/...erStandings.asp - Proof can be found on the latest GJW's ladder page.

Posted By KPN Braecen Kaeth - 2/25/2008 [10:31:00 PM]

While everyone is thinking about it... would you - fellow members of the DB - like to see any additional Servers come online for our club? I am in the process of setting up a Republic Commando Server on my secondary computer, but I am curious to know if there is demand for anything else.

You can either reply to this thread or shoot me an e-mail: BMCoffey13@aol.com

Thank you for your time and attention.

Braecen Kaeth

Posted By DJK Raiju Kang - 2/26/2008 [7:08:00 AM]

Apparently someone doesn't know how to take a joke, or I just touched a sore spot. Maybe next time I'll throw in a sexual or gangster reference to amuse you, but whats it matter when you see that I'm a Tarenti; you and your clan will just start screaming how biased I think you are.

In the end, do I think this server is worth it? maybe for a bit longer, and I meant no offense to Duga for providing it as that kind of activity makes the DB a better place to be in. The fact he looked into something cheaper is good too, but I hope he looked into shorter contact dates too. GJWs might bring the biggest activity to the game, but so did the BSC's Summertime brawl and in case you haven't looked lately Shadow they ended up wiping JO from the event long ago. Providing servers aren't going to keep the game's activity up Shadow, nor (and I mean no offense by this) will your special competition and extra Cfs. In the end, if you want to hold off the inevitable a little long (and even give the DB a better gaming identity) I would suggest finding someone to give us custom maps and skins but im sure you've tried this already and it didn't work for some reason right?.

Anyways, sorry Duga if you took my comment as being insensitive like Shadow did. Thanks for spending your hardearned cash on this.

Posted By DJM Kir Katarn - 2/26/2008 [7:11:00 AM]

Raiju - you seem to think that hosting this server is an attempt to save JO from dying in the DB...but that isn't the case. While JO is a dated game in the regular gaming community, the DB only uses SW games, and JO is still one of the most popular SW games played, especially among those members who only like FPS's. That being so, there would be absolutely no reason for us not to continue to have a JO server - which is why Shadow responded to your comment.

While we all appreciate your snide remarks about what will and will not work for gaming - and I'm certain they are completely valid based upon your 22 days of leadership experience in this club - we try not to eliminate any sources of activity or enjoyment for our members.

Posted By DJK Raiju Kang - 2/26/2008 [7:39:00 AM]

lol Kir, this argument can go in circles; your saying that the servers are there to meet the demand of the activity, while Im saying that the servers are there to provide activity. In essence, we are both right. You're right in saying that there would be no point in providing the servers if there wasn't already ppl playing, I can't argue that. And to be fair, I hope you can acknowledge the fact that without the servers there we wouldn't have the activity we see now; not everyone can host MP games, and the disadvantage to playing a game against the host player is HUGE. That's why we ask ppl to play on the servers. So the server does provide its share in the promotion of the activity. Now my separate point is that PC gaming is on the decline - more than you guys seem acknowledge. And as a PC game, JO has been affected and has declined. So much, that my point is that without the servers ppl who can't host wouldn't play as the enjoyment to disadvantage ratio would be too ugly and therefore you wouldn't have the past activity outside the servers. Don't agree? close the servers, see how many ppl play. I'll say again, for the moment the servers are good to keep. But in the longterm you do need to look for other options for keeping JO open.

As for your last comment, I've gone through this before. Everyone has the right to your own opinion. You base your feelings towards mine on the fact that I'm new to the DB, and in a leadership role. But the fact remains, I've been in the SW and gaming community as long as you Kir and held my share of leadership roles in SW clubs. That's why I'm QUA now, due to my successful experiences in the past. Feel free to look at my personal self to find means to your arguments, I'll just do the same.

Posted By OP Hel-Pa Sklib - 2/26/2008 [9:41:00 AM]

This argument is making me, and I'm sure others, dumber.

For my own brain cells, stop?

Posted By OP Tarax Eosphoros Kor - 2/26/2008 [10:54:00 AM]

Durrg!

Also, Raiju...look onto other successful Houses - like Dinaari - as an example on how to succeed. Kkthx.

*touches Kir*

Halcyon

26-02-2008 13:26:47

So...not entirely sure how that first comment can be seen as a "joke". We've had a JO server for awhile and people do play the game, especially during the big competitions. Duga was just saying the server was moving places. At best just say "Thanks". I think most people will see what had been commented on as insulting, no matter what Clan you may come in.

As for comments about gaming in general...that's an entirely different topic. And hell, if you have actual concrete ideas, there are plenty of people who will hear you out (Sarin, Muz and Shadow...yes, Shadow will still hear you out :P). However, we do use only SW games (other games are one-offs and just for random fun competitions). Unless people submit workable ideas, gripping about it won't do much of anything. And yes, workable. Throwing random ideas out aren't useful either :P

Kir

26-02-2008 13:30:05

I just don't understand the point here - you acknowledge that the server leads to increased activity...and as leaders we are supposed to seek to increase activity...yet you want the server shut down? As long as there are members in our club who enjoy the game, and others willing to pay for/run a server, why would we ever shut it down? As I said before - we try not to eliminate any sources of activity or enjoyment for our members.

As for the decline of PC gaming - we're well aware of that, and we are slowly offering more console-gaming options, but the difficulty is fitting them into our online-club model with the current way in which Xbox live is setup.

Generally the point I'm aiming for is - the comments area are a nice place to publicly snipe at people, but we are always checking our inboxes for positive contributions and ideas - so if you have any of those, why don't you email them to the GM, DGM, or Gaming Tribune.

Prajna

26-02-2008 13:31:02

I feel current servers are adequate. Thanks for continuing to do an excellent job everybody.

Tarax Kor

26-02-2008 13:39:11

House Dinaari is awesome.

Corax

26-02-2008 13:40:11

"I hate gaming, I really do."

The way i see it Raiju, you're trying to kill gaming in your house, and even though gaming is not the only focus of the DJB, it is the main focus of the DJB.

"This summit is made up of three noticibly fiction-based members."

If you want to write fiction, become an author. Don't bitch and complain about a server that still hosts a lot of gaming for the club.

Prajna

26-02-2008 13:45:34

This needs to be fixed. http://darkjedibrotherhood.org/dbjedi/comm....asp?ID=R:11025

Fictional Development: I hate gaming, I really do. For ten years I have been on the MSN gaming zone, BSC, and private gaming servers playing games, and I've finally became tired of it and have a bitter hatred of it. Why do I hate it? Well, I've struggle in finding clans of lately that I can join because of the lack of PC gaming. Whether you believe it or not, PC gaming has declined rapidly and nothing lucasarts has put out lately has revived it. With the Force Unleashed being for consules only, I honestly agree with ppl like Doni who say its the final nail in our coffin. I'm sure theres much the DB could do to hold off this, but we have to look at the reality. Now, I'm not saying that we Tridens should swear off gaming. No, I'm still going to promote it and expect you guys to participate if thats your thing. And we'll offer ways to hold of reality for as long as the DB wishes to, but its not going to be our focus anymore. This summit is made up of three noticibly fiction-based members. As such, we'll not only work with Anshar and Armus and developing the clan fiction but we will work on developing our own house fiction. The Tridens Wiki page is an embarassment. A breif paragraph on the house's achievements. We not only need to expand on this, but work out our place in Tarentum in the fictional world. Lastly, as I have already spoke on before, we will provide a way for our member to achieve a part in our history to further develop their own character histories.

Xayun Erinos

26-02-2008 14:07:03

The way i see it Raiju, you're trying to kill gaming in your house

I see what you did there.
Wait, no I didn't. Where did you pull that one from?

Tarax Kor

26-02-2008 14:10:28

I see what you did there.
Wait, no I didn't. Where did you pull that one from?

Raiju's report. You might want to read the quoted part in his post.

Xayun Erinos

26-02-2008 14:12:27

Oh, I did. And then I read the bit where he says he's not telling people to swear off gaming and that he'll still promote it and expects people to still participate.

There's a difference between having an opinion on something and actively sabotaaaging it.

Tarax Kor

26-02-2008 14:17:10

Well it's really simple, then.

Raiju has no place to talk about gaming or gaming servers if he actively hates gaming so much. His opinion/stance/view on such matters is unproductive and quite honestly unwanted.

Now watch this: http://www.jibjab.com/view/182192

Xayun Erinos

26-02-2008 14:20:18

So only people who like gaming should be able to offer an opinion on it? Because they're about as capable of objectivity as someone who dislikes it.

Yes, BIAS! etc etc, we know.

Tarax Kor

26-02-2008 14:23:33

You misunderstood me.

Only those who have something productive and/or supportive to say should do it via public forum. Like, omgz I dunno...the news comments?

His was neither.

Xayun Erinos

26-02-2008 14:27:46

Raiju has no place to talk about gaming or gaming servers if he actively hates gaming so much.

There wasn't a lot to misunderstand, there.

Nice edit.

Tarax Kor

26-02-2008 14:30:18

This reminds me of Pong.

Except not as orgasmic. You suck at this, Xayun.

Heh. Get it? Orgasmic? Suck? LOL.

And so forth. =/

Xayun Erinos

26-02-2008 14:32:38

I accept your unconditional surrender.

Malidir

26-02-2008 14:33:24

This would be so much cooler if it were on the newspage.

kraval

26-02-2008 14:35:23

This would be so much cooler if it were on the newspage.

The comments section on the news page isn't a place for long term discussion where insults are likely to be hurled (as in this case), that's what the MBs are for

Rules for posting comments:

1. Comments are to be used in adding pertinent information to news items. Opinions should be saved for the message boards. Posting a link to a MB discussion is acceptable.

2. Questions asked and intended for comments or opinions from the news post may be answered in the Comments section.

3. Thank yous, congratulations for awards and promotions, or condolences for sad news may be given through the Comments section.

Karel

26-02-2008 14:37:04

The comments section on the news page isn't a place for long term discussion where insults are likely to be hurled (as in this case), that's what the MBs are for

Well Malidir is cooler than you so nyah.

Tarax Kor

26-02-2008 14:37:34

I accept your unconditional surrender.

You smell.

Like.
A.
Vulva.*

Also, you're wrong. But you're defending a fellow Clansman. So it's not unusual to be stubbornly foolish about it. It happens. But for someone who's only DJK, a QUA, and has been a total of 22 days on the job, Raiju just said the wrong thing in the wrong tone to begin with, and never stopped.

*Vulva? Vulvae? Vulveses? Vulvases? Vulvii?

kraval

26-02-2008 14:38:26

Well Malidir is cooler than you so nyah.

My level of cool is so astronomical it can't be measured with known math or science

Kir

26-02-2008 15:34:49

Ok well, this discussion has devolved a bit, so I'm going to lock it up. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas for gaming in the DB, please email them to the GM, DGM, and Gaming Tribune - they are always looking for new ideas.