How You Can Help Scientific Research

Hel-Pa Sklib

27-07-2007 22:39:46

I was reading a magazine article recently, and it mentioned this program at Stanford University called Folding@Home. Basically, it uses some of your computers processing power to help compute equations and tests, etc., that the University used to research protein folding. I won't get into the scientific details of protein folding, but it can help lead to improvements in diseases such as Alzheimer's. You can find the link here: http://folding.stanford.edu/

I think this is a cool way to get involved with helping out in the community, and if enough people DL this program, we could probably start a "group" that it allows and all contribute to the same areas of scientific research. Tell me what'cha guys think, I personally thought it was nifty.

Anonymous

02-08-2007 16:57:18

I was reading a magazine article recently, and it mentioned this program at Stanford University called Folding@Home. Basically, it uses some of your computers processing power to help compute equations and tests, etc., that the University used to research protein folding. I won't get into the scientific details of protein folding, but it can help lead to improvements in diseases such as Alzheimer's. You can find the link here: http://folding.stanford.edu/

I think this is a cool way to get involved with helping out in the community, and if enough people DL this program, we could probably start a "group" that it allows and all contribute to the same areas of scientific research. Tell me what'cha guys think, I personally thought it was nifty.

Nod. In addition, if you have a Playstation 3, you may do the same. Just leave your Playstation 3 on after selecting the "@home project", and it'll process units for Stanford. It actually works really well, as the Cell Processors SPE's seem to be really well built for that kind of processing. About once a week I'll leave my PS3 on overnight and process stuff for @home.

And before a smartass remark is posted here; no they don't overheat. Now shutup and go demand Microsoft to repair your red lights of death. :P

So leave your PC's and PS3's on! :P

Lokasena

02-08-2007 17:26:15

what about saving energy?
if everyone left their equipment on, the power consumption would go through the roof...!!!

Adien Falaut

02-08-2007 17:35:28

Hmmmmmmmmm, Interesting........

Arania

31-08-2007 06:55:23

This is mostly meant for people who leave their machines on anyway. Like me. ;)

Nihil

04-10-2007 08:04:36

I'd only help a experiment it was intended towards Diabetes.

Kir

04-10-2007 08:40:30

You do know there are other, much more life threatening conditions beyond diabetes, right?

Not to mention that the Stanford Project this thread was about uses computers to help with protein research, and proteins run just about everything in your body, and are therefore connected in some way to almost every condition - including diabetes.

Nihil

04-10-2007 19:00:19

You do know there are other, much more life threatening conditions beyond diabetes, right?

Not to mention that the Stanford Project this thread was about uses computers to help with protein research, and proteins run just about everything in your body, and are therefore connected in some way to almost every condition - including diabetes.

Oh I'm aware, it's just that I'm a diabetic myself...and selfish.