Republic Commando Out!

freshjive taldrya

01-03-2005 20:25:35

I picked up my copy today and played around with it for a bit. Wow, its intense. SP is fun, its a matter of getting to know your squad commands, which you'll use more than the demo led you to believe. The first level is the Battle of Genosis from episode 2 and its like being in the middle of Black Hawk Down. Very fun so far. Anyone else pick it up?

Locust

01-03-2005 21:32:43

I have midterms all this week so I decided it would be a bad idea to pick it up before I was done with those.

~Loc

Jac Cotelin

01-03-2005 21:58:38

I'm getting mine tomorrow after school. We'll have to hook up and do some MP, fresh.

Jac

Kaine Mandaala

01-03-2005 22:52:50

God damned LucasArts. I pre-ordered the thing - send it to me on time!

If it comes tomorrow I'd liek to get together with people.

Tarax Kor

01-03-2005 23:35:10

So, now that it's out, how do you guys think it should be intergrated into MP events like the ICTE and whatnot? Have any of you tried the MP thus far?

(question still holds for people who get the game at a later date and get the chance to try it out; it's ongoing.)

Kaine Mandaala

02-03-2005 00:44:55

I'm sure it'll be used for MP events. In fact I'd even consider running one.

freshjive taldrya

02-03-2005 01:20:58

Yeah, for sure Jac, I'd like to see what MP is like. The assault mode looks really interesting.

I had to stop playing for awhile today cause it was getting really intense.

Xanos

02-03-2005 06:02:57

*points to Korras' report*

Doesn't anyone read these things? It's already being implemented for MP :P

And damn LucasArts for not doing a universal release... I've still got to wait a few days...

khan

02-03-2005 07:20:36

Days ? I have to wait MONTHS... Kotor 2 will be released here tomorrow =((

Tarax Kor

02-03-2005 09:21:44

Actually... I believe that Republic Commando will only be released in Europe a few short days after its N. American release. A week, at most.

Xanos

02-03-2005 09:59:37

Khan you should just import it in that case.

Kaine Mandaala

02-03-2005 10:12:46

Days ? I have to wait MONTHS... Kotor 2 will be released here tomorrow =((

US release was yesterday (Tue) and the European release is supposed to be today (Wed).

Khan, you shouldn't have too much of a problem finding it in a store by Friday.

Aidan Kincaid

02-03-2005 16:26:23

Goat, Korras' news post came after those MB posts.

Xanos

02-03-2005 18:51:30

Shad: I said report. He announced it last week :P

khan

02-03-2005 19:28:14

US release was yesterday (Tue) and the European release is supposed to be today (Wed).

Khan, you shouldn't have too much of a problem finding it in a store by Friday.

Kaine, I work in one of this shops, and the dealer told me already there's no ETA for RC yet. Kotor 2 will arrive tomorrow morning.. guess what I'll be doing instead of working =P

*Khan has already prepared a PC in assistance for the job =P* >:)

Kaine Mandaala

02-03-2005 22:20:51

Kaine, I work in one of this shops, and the dealer told me already there's no ETA for RC yet. Kotor 2 will arrive tomorrow morning.. guess what I'll be doing instead of working =P

*Khan has already prepared a PC in assistance for the job =P*  >:)

Khan - Don't forget to get yourself the patch!

Anyhow I just played a little for RC and let me say it's GREAT. I love the melee attack, but I feel like my mouse actions are too slow. I have the setting at 10, and it doesn't go any higher. I also feel liek I'm blowing through ammo like crazy, but this might be due to the poor aiming ability because of the mouse response.

In other games I have my mouse sensitivity jacked up as high as it'll go and rarely have a problem hitting a target at least 80% of the time.

Cross

03-03-2005 12:18:43

I'm already on the last campaigne. The game is great. A tad short but I think any more SP time would start to get boring. I play on mouse speed 3. Some leftover vestiges of my CS days. I heard there is some event this weekend for RC.

Tarax Kor

03-03-2005 12:30:32

Huh. I planned on getting the game this weekend... but my dad still dodn't give me my PC. So I'll have to get the PC before I get the game. Kinda pointless to do otherwise. :P

Kaine Mandaala

03-03-2005 13:25:32

I'm already on the last campaigne.  The game is great.  A tad short but I think any more SP time would start to get boring.  I play on mouse speed 3.  Some leftover vestiges of my CS days.  I heard there is some event this weekend for RC.

Next weekend I think - - the 12th? Can anyone confirm that? I'll look around and edit/this post if I find it.

[EDIT] Boy that was quick... From the OHC: 12th & 13th: RC tournament. Signups preferred, but not necessary.

As for the mouse speed, I just can't deal with the lack of response on anything lower than "as high as it goes". I really hope they have a patch to increase the mouse speed, cause the lazy movement is killing me... literally.

Arania

03-03-2005 13:49:09

I'll try and pick it up tomorrow, but it all depends how sick I'll still be, how much money i have left and, the biggest prob, if our small city will even HAVE it.

Cross

03-03-2005 14:12:40

I find the slower mouse speed lets me do finer adjustments with aimming.

I played some MP lastnight. Pretty standard. Only CTF and DM servers around. It is pretty much a grenade fest from what I experienced. Although I took great pleasure in lobbing grenades at the anit-armor attachment spawn and people kept walking into my trap. Oh and the melee is way underpowered I think. It should go through your shields and be some good gutting action.

Xizor

03-03-2005 14:30:34

So, any more comments on the game? Is it truly worth it?

Xanos

03-03-2005 14:58:05

Cross: The Republic Commando War is next Saturday and Sunday (12th and 13th). Its a full two day Vendetta. The winners will get Novas. There's also going to be a secondary tournament Saturday during the hours of the ICTE where the winners will get First Tier Crescents.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Oh and of course there'll be Clusters of Fire as usual for every win or three matches.

Anonymous

03-03-2005 17:45:16

Can you guys who have it already explain what the Multiplayer is like?

Xanos

03-03-2005 17:53:39

From what I've read it plays like Halo just on new maps and without vehicles. It sounds alright, sure its nothing new but that doesn't mean its bad.

Cross

03-03-2005 18:15:12

There is no "ground breaking" technology in RC. If that is what you're looking for, it isn't there. Its pretty much your FPS clone set in a stylish SW theme. MP is like Halo without vehicles. It'd be nice if we could man turrents though.

Anonymous

03-03-2005 20:43:35

So it isn't really different from games like Halo or UT?

Well...is it *BETTER* than Halo or UT? If not, this game can kiss my ass.

Locust

03-03-2005 20:57:00

stop personifying a number.

Kaine Mandaala

03-03-2005 21:43:00

Can you guys who have it already explain what the Multiplayer is like?

All I can say is that there is a Deathmatch, Team Detahmatch, CTF and Assault (probably just like UT/UT2K4).

Haven't had a chance to check it out, and I'm not all too interested in playing the first 3 modes.

Anonymous

03-03-2005 22:58:40

Alright, I'll wait until I see what other people have to say about it then. If ya let me know how good Assault is, so I know if it's worth getting, I'd appreciate it.

Aidan Kincaid

04-03-2005 00:20:48

I'm not sure what people expected. If you've played Unreal 2k4... this is basically the same thing with Star Wars music, guns and models :P I'm not sure why you'd spend 60 bucks on a game to play just one setting... seems a little odd to me. CTF, TDM - anything team-related = amazing. Even DM will be fun for the MP nights, etc. My guess is Assualt will be like JA's Siege: A cool idea, but you need a lot of people and probably more maps.

Xanos

04-03-2005 04:52:32

Oh no, it's as good as Halo!

Ummm... could somebody explain to me how thats a bad thing? They took something that worked, and made a new game. God forbid that they didn't try to mess with it, build a new engine and screw it up. Every new game isn't going to revolutionise the industry. To expect that is rediculous, technology only moves so fast, you can't make a new game every six months and have it be amazingly new. Hence why you get a generation of games built on a certain engine. Did people say KOTOR2 was crap because it was exactly the same as KOTOR1? Uhh... no. People were glad that they stuck with something that was already fixed and didn't try to break it.

So, let me get this right... had Republic Commando been released a year ago, and Half-Life 2 today, we'd be saying HL2 sucked because it wasn't anything new? It might just be me, but that kind of attitude seems pretty dumb. "Lets not play a good game and enjoy it just because it wasn't released first". I really don't understand where that attitude comes from. People never used to have this problem in the past and were normally glad that a game was using a working model rather than trying something too ambitious and screwing it up.

That probably explains why people always say games they played in the past were better: because they actually gave them a chance! Don't believe what you read in reviews. I never do. The most I believe are player reviews and even then its subjective depending on whom the reviewer is. "Official" reviews from major sources though? Bah. Complete jokes.

Lets look back at Half Life.
Did all the games built off the HL engine suck because they were nothing new?
Did CounterStrike suck because it used the HL engine and didn't add anything amazingly new?
Did Dark Forces suck because it was just a DOOM mod?

Kaine Mandaala

04-03-2005 13:20:47

My only complaint abot MP is that it's tough to tell your team from the enemy unless you point your gun at them. You'd think the Clone Troopers would stick out like a sore thumb with their white armor, but such is not the case. You can choose many different looks for your 3D representation, and most people pick a charcoal-grey armored guy.

I played in a CTF server with Jac and it was more than apparent:

1. A lot of people are playing this thing non-stop. They knew the maps like they lived there, and they knew where all the high-powered weapons were.

2. The guys on the Republic Side were using some external voice system - they were far too organized not to be.

As for why I'd buy a game to only play one mode I'll say this - I'll play any mode, I just prefer Assault. It gives me more to do, and caters to the premise of it being team-based SWAT/SOCOM style combat. I think that with a little time spent training a team that works AS a team would seriously pwn. :)

Actually I prefer games to have a little more in common with RTCW:ET, where you aren't just rewarded for how fast you can pull the trigger on the BFG's.

Locust

04-03-2005 15:19:58

Don't buy it and don't play it blade. Easy fix.

~Loc

Anonymous

04-03-2005 17:11:15

What? No.

I'm trying to get peoples freakin opinions on the different aspects of multiplayer for christs sake. I'm sorry if that's hard for people like you and Goatham to understand.

I am *interested* in this game, and I'm trying to find out if it's worth my money and time. I'm just awaiting word on how Assault mode is

Kaine Mandaala

04-03-2005 18:15:52

RC MP is decent. About as good as UT2K4 - minus the speed. The weapons act more like BFV (pre patches)... Some are way overpowered, some are way underpowered, and the team-play aspect is only as good as the people who devote time to it.

CTF is as tactical as you make it. The Clone Trooper team last night was really using group tactics well, while the Trandoshans were treating it like DM. Jac and I were doing OK as a 2 man team, but it'd be a lot better with a 4-6 man team.

Hope to try out Assault later tonight.

Cross

06-03-2005 01:55:30

Assault is quite simple. One team has the holoprojector thingie and needs to place it on the other teams holoprojector holder thing. Pretty much one man grabs the projector and swarms with everyone to the opponents base. Pretty much suicide squeeze. :)

Aidan Kincaid

06-03-2005 02:19:46

The MP is pretty sweet, Blade. If you liked Halo 2 at all you'll like this too. I wasn't a big fan of Halo 2, as 1) SP is boring and 2)XBOX live is [Expletive Deleted]. Having to hear every god damned idiot who plays Halo 2 would drive me insane. I could barely stand 5 mins of it at a friends house :P RC is a waaaaaaay better alternative. Plus the SW aspect kicks ass.

Locust

06-03-2005 02:37:41

I liked it -- kashykk got kinda long, but the other planets/locales were awesome.

P.S. Why didn't they hire Frank Oz to do Yoda?

Kaine Mandaala

06-03-2005 21:53:58

I'll preface this post by saying this: I still LIKE RC but I thought about the experience some more and had some... problems. My few complaints about RC MP:

1. No Squad Info on HUD.
I wanted MP to be a bit like MP in that I could see the location and status of my teammates. Maybe that was just wishful thinking. Many other games I have played have these features... BF1942, BFV, RTCW:ET, COD...

2. No Revival?
Not to keep dragging RC against the rocks that are other games but I was really hoping for the chance to revive other MP teammates... just like RTCW:ET. Give people that last bit of health so they stay alive but useless until they are revived, or let them kill themselves and respawn.

3. No "Kits"
SP emphasizes over and over that certain troopers have certain specialities. Why not extend that to MP? Why not allow someone to be the better slicer, better gunman, better sniper, better medic, better demolitions... ? It only makes sense - expecially if Assualt was a little more like UT2Kx.

I have yet to play Assault mode, but if it's just a run-and-gun to protect the holoprojector carrier than it's more like UT2K4's Bombing Run... which is basketball/hockey/football/soccer/rugby with weapons... and that is disappointing. I expect(ed) Assault to be more strategy-based, with panels to slice, doors to blast open, and a real objective - like stealing plans or destroying a gun battery. Maybe I expect(ed) too much from playing all these other games that seem to have it... right.

Jaysun Adumarii

07-03-2005 03:59:50

What's the SP campaign like because I doubt I'll be playing much MP given my location and abysmal connection.

Locust

07-03-2005 04:49:51

What's the SP campaign like because I doubt I'll be playing much MP given my location and abysmal connection.

The SP campaign is da filthy. I stayed up all day and all night finishing it because it's impossible to just stop.

~Loc

Xizor

07-03-2005 07:55:23

Care to get slightly more specific?

Xanos

07-03-2005 09:22:55

In more precise terms: the SP rocks :P

Xizor

07-03-2005 09:25:05

Xanos, you're famed for your damnable eloquence, kindly use it. :P

Xhedias

07-03-2005 13:58:51

SP is godly, i havent used MP yet, is it like JA or JO with no commands, just bloodshed?

Aidan Kincaid

07-03-2005 14:30:26

MP is sweet, Xhed you should start playing right away :P You can pick from a trandoshan or commando model and then modify the color and some other crap like helmet backpack, etc to use while playing. You start with the regular blaster and sidearm and 2 thermal detonators. And its sweet. Your shield recharges after taking damage and there's little bacta packs around the map to heal your health fully.

Headshots are the easiest and quickest way to kill someone and a voice screams out headshot whenever someone gets one. Its cool with trandoshans cuz this evil voice says it.

Umm... small to medium weapons allow you to run at normal speed - the bigger weapons (like the wookiee rocket launcher and the trandoshan heavy repeater) slow you down a lot but they pack a super punch. Theres also other grenades. When the EC explodes if anyone touches it they get this energy field around them that follows them around doing damage for a while, makes picking htem off easier.

All in all, so much fun. We just need a server of our own to keep the riff-raff away. The only thing that they don't really have yet our server commands... to change maps, or gametypes, etc. Probably be in a patch.

Kaine Mandaala

07-03-2005 14:39:26

Headshots are the easiest and quickest way to kill someone and a voice screams out headshot whenever someone gets one. Its cool with trandoshans cuz this evil voice says it.

That "Head Shot" voice is probably the single most annoying thing about MP... especially on the Trandoshan side.

Aidan Kincaid

07-03-2005 14:42:27

And of course Kaine is insane :P You should feel pride getting a headshot and its announced to everyone playing. Thats just sweet.

Kaine Mandaala

07-03-2005 15:54:18

And of course Kaine is insane :P You should feel pride getting a headshot and its announced to everyone playing. Thats just sweet.

Not when it's every 5 seconds. It's gay and annoying. Especially the Trandoshan voice and that retarded laugh it does just before saying "head shot".

Anyhow - anyone interested in trying to form a tactical 4-6 man team? It would mean people giving/taking/following orders and having a real command structure and working on real gameplans and strategies.

Aidan Kincaid

07-03-2005 16:26:49

eh... what exactly for? btw, Assault is just a reverse capture the flag. One team attacks and grabs the flag and tries to plant it where the other teams flag would be while they defend for 4 mins, then it switches.

This isn't really a huge strategy game... if you mean for CTF - you organize whos defending, whos attacking, and whos killing people off and protecting in the middle. There's not too much involved. Hell, when we play JO CTF we dont even have to talk to one another. We all know our jobs and do them. Its why we always win CTF :P

Kaine Mandaala

07-03-2005 17:22:41

Ok so Shadow is out. Anyone else?

Cross

07-03-2005 18:57:53

The UT voice was much better...best is when in UT it said "Vehicular Manslaugher!" Trandy voice is horrible.