Darth Krayt?

Sephiroth Kali

05-10-2006 18:22:40

I heard about this Darth Krayt in a comment on the MB. Who is this?

Rannik

05-10-2006 20:05:06

He is a human that is VERY strong in the Force. Around the year 130 ABY, I believe, he "remade" the Sith Order/Empire. He then went and killed the Emporer, not old Palpy, and took the throne as the new Emporer. He is one, if not the only one, to bring back the Order and actually rule the Galaxy again. Go to Wiki and look him up, thats what I did...

Adien Falaut

05-10-2006 20:19:39

very interesting...

Shinichi Endymiron K

06-10-2006 11:53:04

Legacy Comic Book Series. Read it, love it, live it.

Kaine Mandaala

06-10-2006 12:56:54

Legacy Comic Book Series.  Read it, love it, live it.

The problem I have with that comment -and it's nothing personal Shin - is how elitist it sounds. I've actually heard similar things all over in SW fan clubs.

Sorry - but if it's not in a film, most people couldn't care less. I'm about half-way between the film-only people and the absorb-everything people (leaning more towards the film-only) and I've never heard of this guy. Maybe I don't really want to either.

I used to read all the novels, but when they started flooding the market with more and more I kind of got turned off to it all. I forget how many hardcovers I own - something like 15 - and as for paperbacks I've only really picked up about a half-dozen, including the Jedi Academy trilogy, the Han Solo (pre-ANH) one, the Lando one and Splinter of the Mind's Eye. Oh and I think I might have Tales from Jabba's Palace.

Comic books? Stopped really looking at those in about 1992. I have the Dark Empire graphic novel (aka reprint of the whole DE storyline in one book) - hell it was even signed by Tom Veitch - but I think I've made it about 4 pages in before I lost interest.

The Zahn trilogy was the best. Anderson's Jedi Academy was also great. I have yet to really find books that keep me as riveted as those. I mean - I was waiting at Barnes & Noble at 8 AM (an hour before they opened) the day "Dark Force Rising" was supposed to come out. I had to get them to open the shipping cases to get it for me.

I was loving it - then crap like Truce At Bakura came out and I haven't given a SW book a fair shake since. Sure I've read others since then, but something about them really lost their appeal with me.

Baron Zarco

06-10-2006 13:46:07

Kaine, the things you wrote express my opinion exactly but, I have been called an "old fuddy duddy." (sp?)

For the younger guys (and I have no idea how old Shin is) these new things are for them what the Thrawn trilogy, et. al., was for us.

We're gettin' old baby!!!

Andan Taldrya Marshall

06-10-2006 14:01:26

I'm in the same boat. I used to read *every* book that came out; the Thrawn books, the Jedi Academy books, the X-Wing series, the Han Solo books, all of the old, classic books. Then the NJO series came out and I became completely uninterested in reading the same plot over and over again. The Vong catch the NR by supprise, the NR try to counter attack, the Vong kill them all. The only memorable parts of that series were Chewie and Anakin dying.

I'm starting to get back into the books, I bought and read Outbound Flight (which rocked, because Zahn wrote it) and Betrayal and it was pretty good, but it still wasn't the Thrawn series.

I've never read a single star wars comic, mainly because none of them have contributed much to the overall plot of the SW universe. At least I haven't come across something in a book, game, etc. that I didn't know about because I hadn't read the comic that introduced it.

Baron Zarco

06-10-2006 15:13:35

Again, Crix, same here. I read Outbound. I will go get Betrayal on your recommendation.

Sephiroth Kali

06-10-2006 16:55:15

I on the other hand like the books. While I have not nearly read all of them, I enjoy them, and I do recomend Outbound flight. I would read the comics, but I haven't seen any for me to buy.

Kaine Mandaala

06-10-2006 22:09:33

Let me say this - I have SW books I've never read. People bought them for me as presents and I just can't get more than a few pages into them. There's no solid hook. Nothing that says "I can't put this down!" at all. I have the one where Chewbacca bites it. Never read it. There are at least three hardcovers floating around my house now that I've never read more than a chapter.

And it's not like I dislike reading - hell I've gone through tons of other books. I don't know what it is really but something about SW EU is... dull.

Maybe I'll search for these few novels and give them another shot, but I have to say that the films are 80% of what I like. Everything else lumps into that remaining 20% and the majority of it is the games.

Sephiroth Kali

06-10-2006 22:17:49

you could always give them to me!

Laigerick Sithelhood

20-12-2006 17:04:24

lol

Adien Falaut

20-12-2006 17:07:56

Let me say this - I have SW books I've never read. People bought them for me as presents and I just can't get more than a few pages into them. There's no solid hook. Nothing that says "I can't put this down!" at all. I have the one where Chewbacca bites it. Never read it. There are at least three hardcovers floating around my house now that I've never read more than a chapter.

And  it's not like I dislike reading - hell I've gone through tons of other books. I don't know what it is really but something about SW EU is... dull.

Maybe I'll search for these few novels and give them another shot, but I have to say that the films are 80% of what I like. Everything else lumps into that remaining 20% and the majority of it is the games.

Yeah I"ve ran into a couple I couldn't get very far into myself I don't know what it is either though.

Macron Sadow

21-12-2006 15:04:16

Legacy is pretty cool, esp. issue 4 I think. Krayt summons a bunch of Sith spirits on Korriban. I like the architecture.

Sith Bloodfyre

21-12-2006 18:19:47

Star Wars books are horrid, absolutely horrid. I bought the Darth Bane novel, first Star Wars book I've ever purchased. The writer was a part of the KOTOR team somehow (I forget the specifics), and you can tell he's TOO into KOTOR as "Star Wars history/background/whatever." I was thoroughly upset with it, and haven't even finished, as much as it pissed me off.

That said, I have generally been a fan of the comics. Depending on which series, I like the art, the stories are great, or both. I enjoyed the Ulic Qel-Droma/Exar Kun stuff, I enjoyed the Mara Jade "By the Emperor's Hand" six-part, and several others. While I stick mainly to the movies, I will branch out a bit.

Star Wars Legacy (the series with Darth Krayt) is actually very decently done. I've liked the artwork so far, and I like some of the ideas surrounding it. I'm going to give some info on it, so be warned, spoilers ahead.

When Legacy begins, it is about 130-140 years ABY. The New Republic sucked, the galactic Alliance that followed sucked, and the Empire is reborn. No, not the evil Empire of Palpatine, but a "new" Galactic Empire under the leadership of Roan Fel, who is now Emperor.

Darth Krayt and his new Sith Order have been in hiding on Korriban, and have now come forth to destroy the Jedi. At the Jedi Academy on Ossus, the Sith assault and kill most of the last remaining Jedi, including Kol Skywalker. Kol's son (and Luke's descendant) Cade Skywalker and a couple other Jedi Padawans escape, but Cade goes back to save his father/fight the Sith/give into the Dark Side, and is presumed killed in action. With the Jedi presumed "destroyed" in full, the Sith return to the Imperial throneworld to claim victory.

Darth Krayt shows up with his trio of Sith apprentices, and kills who he THINKS is Roan Fel (but is actually a clone/double a la Padme and her dupes). Darth Krayt claims the Imperial throne, and the Sith once again rule a good portion of the galaxy, but no, they do not rule all of it. Darth Krayt recognizes that the one he killed is not Roan Fel, since Roan Fel was trained as an Imperial Knight (like a Jedi, but Imperial), as was his daughter. Roan Fel is alive and in hiding, and Darth Krayt knows, if he is to rule the galaxy as a whole, he needs to find and kill the true Emperor and his daughter, blah blah, blah.

That's basically what happens in the first comic to set up the series. Seven years pass between issue 1 and 2, and by that time, we find out that Cade is alive (somehow), and addicted to drugs that dull his connection to the Force (death sticks, if I remember), but he also takes them because they prevent the spirit of Luke Skywalker from coming to him (Cade) to basically guilt trip him back into being a Jedi, and all that whiney stuff you can imagine.

All things considered, as much as I hate the books, there are several good comic runs for Star Wars, and this is one of them. This is certainly something I would recommend even for someone to just browse through a copy. If you're at a comic shop, or a book store that has comics, thumb through it for a few minutes and see what you think.

Sephiroth Kali

21-12-2006 21:08:02

if it doesn't have Sith or Dark Jedi in it, it sucks

Muz Ashen

23-12-2006 03:00:29

To be real honest, I have not read the books. Like Beef and Kaine, they lack hooks, and are written in horrible, breathless prose. It's as if the authors felt that they could slack off in their writing because we all already know the characters.

Simply put, they sucked.

The comics, I like a bit more. The Clone Wars comics were pretty spectacular, and Empire's even been pretty good lately. As far as Legacy goes, I think it's awesome, as it seems to dovetail with a kind of Dark Brotherhood.

Then again, it's just my two cents.

And Baron, I'm no spring chicken...i just didn't like the whole uber-fanboy reading the books thing back then.

Werdna Elbee

23-12-2006 04:52:34

Yep, the books suck. Fair enough, read the Thrawn Trilogy and Shadows of the Empire (both still aren't great examples of literature), but everything else is poorly written and far removed from the 'spirit' of Star Wars. They don't seem to have any good writers that you can trust to turn out a good book everytime. Zahn is stupidly overrated.

With NJO, all the plots are relatively the same, there have become too Jedi focused, and the original cast are being replaced by bland, uninteresting characters that no one recognises. They play up the dramatic death of an important character too much to hide the fact that there is nothing going on. They are too caught up in their own canon that you can't just pick up a book...you have to read the whole boring series first.

But compare this to recent Star Trek book releases (no flame war, pls). They've made a really good attempt at gathering some great writers who you know will entertain. While some books have their own canon to follow the majority can be read as a standalone book or as a small finite series. While there are books out each month (there are several series...most don't read them all), the ST publishers slowed down the releases so it takes a year or more for the next book in a certain series rather than churn the buggers out at breakneck speed to make a quick buck. Only a few years ago ST lit was in almost as bad a position as SW. SW needs the same...some guy who just goes "right lets slow it down and only use the good writers".

I also agree that the comics on the whole are really well done. Probably because it's all done through Dark Horse. The Rogue Squadron series worked really well in comics and I liked nothing more than to re-read the Baron Fel books to inspire me back when I was pretending to be an Imperial Pilot in a club. Mara Jade was an interesting read,

For the new ones, the Clone War books were brilliant. Empire (and now Rebellion) were average at best compared to it but still worth a read. Knights of the Old Republic and Legacy are shaping up to be awesome too...probably as they are coming out from the ashes of the Clone War series.

Scyrone

07-01-2007 15:18:18

The thing that really pisses me off the most is the repeat of storylines. I dislike the Legacy Comics because they just repeat what the Sith have been trying to do forever. And well, it's pretty dam boring. If they did it in a way that has never been done before then yes it would be intersting. But just a simple take of power is pointless and boring.

And with those Legacy of the Force books (I think thats what theya re) about Jacen wanting to follow in Vader's footsteps? Those writers are so dam lazy. They shouldn;t made a totally different way of him becoming a Sith. Honestly repeating the way Vader came to power is stupid and it just sortof turns my view away from the books.

Werdna Elbee

07-01-2007 15:36:13

It's probably supposed to be some "always the same story, we never learn" thing thats not as clever as it thinks it is.

Legacy seems to be a different story all together though. Bad lad comes good. Well done to them.

Arcadian

20-04-2007 23:41:59

I've never heard of Darth Krayt, and I've never read the legacy series, mabey I should :P

Kalak Ragnose

05-05-2007 13:54:48

I really love the Starwars books. I have actually og 50 of them. I have to agree though, the Bakura one was pitiful. The Zahn books rock. DOes any one know where u can buy legacy of the force comics in England?

Sakh nhem

05-05-2007 15:20:38

I really love the Starwars books. I have actually og 50 of them. I have to agree though, the Bakura one was pitiful. The Zahn books rock. DOes any one know where u can buy legacy of the force comics in England?

I say buy them online, I can never find any where ever I go. And you're almost certain to find some on ebay :P

Etah

09-05-2007 19:34:08

I have never been an EU book reader. I learn the EU from source Books (Encyclopedias, the making of and the essential series) as well as the Wookiepedia and the unofficial encyclopedia at the force.net. But you guys have convinced me to check out the comics. They sound pretty rad.

khan

01-09-2007 01:46:51

The identity of Darth Krayt has been finally revealed. Go check the wookiepedia for more.

Tarax Kor

01-09-2007 03:01:13

Or those of you who're lazy to do so...

Darth Krayt = A'Sharad Hett. Sharad Hett's (a.k.a. The Howlrunner, a famous Prequel-era Jedi that lived among the Tuskens/Sand People) son, that was a Jedi Padawan/Jedi in the same time as Anakin Skywalker.

Ooops, spoilers? :P

Shikyo Keibatsu

14-09-2007 22:58:03

Hehe! I love this series. Krayt FTW!

Anonymous

06-10-2007 15:47:04

I don't know who Darth Krayt is, but since the discussion sort of moved on to SW Books in general I'll contribute, and destroy it. :P

When SW Books first came out (not counting Splinter of the Mind's Eye), I was a sucker for them. Granted, I was also in Elementary school. I remember reading the Thrawn trilogy, Darksaber, Tales of the Bounty Hunters, Tales from Jabbas Palace, and the Young Jedi Knights series, up to the end of the first edition / running or whatever. I also read the Golden Age of the Sith Comics, which actually came in handy when Independant House (bring back Independant Houses plzkthx) Naga Sadow clanned.

But yeah, I stopped reading them over time. The last SW book I tried to read was something centerpoint station by Roger Allen McBride, and it was just awful and boring. The books are terribly written and drag along from start to finish. I cannot fathom how anyone follows them so closely, especially that NJO crap.

k

Caliburn

29-10-2007 13:11:52

I think it is cool how we descover that he was alive since the clone wars. Wow, he must of went carbon freezing nuts.