Padme's Death Guilty or Not Guilty

Baron Zarco

18-08-2006 22:47:14

Padme died in Episode Three. Anakin Skywalker also known as Darth Vader has been charged with her murder. State your verdict and explain yourself.

Kal

19-08-2006 08:39:18

Hate to tell ya, but Ani was trying to save Padme. The fact that she died is closely tied in with his physical state. They were in the process of dying at the same time. The Emperor just didn't like the thought of his pet being dead, so he stopped Ani's death. Jus cuz he choked her a bit don't make him a killer. I've choked people, so long as you let go, they live. Not guilty, boys and girls. He was a murderer, but he never murdered Padme. Now, if he were on trial for killing all the Jedi...

Badona

23-08-2006 18:51:40

Hate to tell ya, but Ani was trying to save Padme. The fact that she died is closely tied in with his physical state. They were in the process of dying at the same time. The Emperor just didn't like the thought of his pet being dead, so he stopped Ani's death. Jus cuz he choked her a bit don't make him a killer. I've choked people, so long as you let go, they live. Not guilty, boys and girls. He was a murderer, but he never murdered Padme. Now, if he were on trial for killing all the Jedi...

Technicaly hes guilty he was trying to save her but i think in quort he caused her death so hes guilty

Kal

25-08-2006 05:37:59

"In court" truth isn't what's being debated here. In court, you could probably put him away for neglegent homicide of three Jedi Masters because he didn't kill Palpatine on the spot when he found out he was a Sith. You could put him away for multiple counts of homicide at the Jedi Temple, serial killing of Jedi, and the attempted murder of Obi-Wan, who, according to the court, acted in self-defense, as Ani was the one who did the backflip attack thingy at the start of the battle. You could put him away for being the accomplice in the murder of Mace Windu. But Padme died in childbirth, the fact that she meant to die with Anakin doesn't mean he killed her. He did not take her life, he just grabbed her throat for a little while with the Force. Assault, possibly, but not homicide. You can no more charge him with killing her than you can charge Luke or Leia, although they were closer to actually committing her murder than he was, as she died because they popped out of her. He did alot of crimes, but he didn't kill her. In court, the most he'd get for her would be assault, although he'd probably be sentenced to simultaneous lethal injection, electric chair, hanging, decapitation, firing squad, and whatever other forms of execution they have for his other crimes.

Ricco Vao

21-09-2006 12:08:14

He was guilty of manslaughter

Kal

26-09-2006 18:05:38

That's what I've been saying. And look at it this way, he was a murderer of all the Jedi, and the Jedi were traitors to the government. Therefore, he was a hero to the Republic. Just like every soldier of every nation. Picture the US Army. To the US, and me, they're heroes. To the middle-east, they're murderers.

Cethgus

10-10-2006 09:05:27

I think he is guilty i think he was the casue of her death i hope i helped

Kal

10-10-2006 23:24:09

That would be manslaughter, as he didn't exactly knife her or anything.

Andan Taldrya Marshall

11-10-2006 15:45:21

My vote would have to go for Negligent Homicide. In the end of the movie it's said that Padme died of a broken heart, with the indicated that it was Anakin who had broken it. Cheesey, yes. Stupid, yes. What Lucas wrote into the script, unfortunately yes.

Based on what happened in the movie it's clear that Anakin was the reason why she died, but I don't think that you could prove that he actually caused her death (reason = why it happened, cause = how it happened).

Manslaughter is usually used for accidental deaths (ie. you crash into someone else's car and kill them), so that doesn't quite fit. For murder of any type the person charged needs to be the one who physically kills the person, which is not what happened.

Laigerick Sithelhood

19-12-2006 19:27:32

He shouldn't have been choking her in the first place. I say he is a murderer!

Hel-Pa Sklib

19-12-2006 22:59:01

Manslaughter, he broke her heart w/o knowing the full consequences of his actions.

Laigerick Sithelhood

20-12-2006 17:02:19

Nay, It was herecy! lol

Dismal

23-12-2006 10:51:29

*heresay*

Lanius Sin

02-01-2007 07:15:39

Not guilty-
the way i see it, he was acting above and beyond all expectations for the defence and benefit of the galactic empire. he should get a medal not a prison term. =p
she had it coming too.. XD

Vladek

03-01-2007 13:05:46

Sin... you're evil. Evil - but correct.
*gives Anakin a medal* >:)

Raoan

03-01-2007 17:02:35

Not guilty by reason of insanity. Until he became Darth Vader, Anakin was just a whimpy brat that didn't even have a personality-- he must have been insane.

Scyrone

07-01-2007 14:32:52

That's what I've been saying. And look at it this way, he was a murderer of all the Jedi, and the Jedi were traitors to the government. Therefore, he was a hero to the Republic. Just like every soldier of every nation. Picture the US Army. To the US, and me, they're heroes. To the middle-east, they're murderers.

Bad example, (not like we havnt killed ten of thousands in the ME. Also, this isn't the best place to put out political views on these issues).

Anakin is not guilty. Did he mean to choke Padme'? No, let us look at Padme'. She basically told Anakin "I want to get a divorce". She relied on all the words of everyone else, and didn't even trust her judgement. Personally, I think if she hadn't betrayed him, Obi-Wan would've been killed (Anakin wouldn't have suffered a mental blow), the Emporer would be dead, and Padme' and Anakin would've ruled the world. She destroyed that for him. Then people go and blame Anakin for hurting Padme'? I personally think he was hurt more! She made him into a dam droid! :vader:

Padme' . . . she killed herself. She then regrets her decision to save Anakin and wishes that things could have been different. "She has lost the will to live," said the Medical Droid. She basically has gone into a deep depression and into a nervous breakdown. She killed herself. She let go of herself.

Vader is not guilty of any crimes. So for the crime of 'Murder', I personally find Anakin not guilty. He simply didn't murder her. For the crime of 'Manslaughter' I personally find Anakin not guilty. He did not accidently kill her (her death was after the fact). And for the crime of "Negligent Homicide' I personally find Anakin not guilty. Anakin did not attempt to kill her, only to let go of some of his pain and rage. He did not kill her. She was alive afterwards. If the droids were so complex as to be able to see any disease or hurt inside of her. They would've seen the pain placed on her throat or the pain pressed on her organs somehow. So personally I find the defendent Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader, NOT GUILTY.

Etah

13-01-2007 16:42:49

There are three different types of manslaughter, vehicular manslaughter (self-explanatory), voluntary manslaughter (ie heat of passion) and involuntary manslaughter (also called criminally negligent homicide).

Vehicular involves vehicles (duh!)
Involuntary requires criminal negligence
Voluntary manslaughter suggests intent without malice.

There are three kinds of intent:
Specific intent, which means you meant to harm that one person
Unspecific intent, which means you meant to harm someone
Transferred intent, means you meant to hurt person A but instead hurt person B

Vader for that crime alone is guilty of Voluntary manslaughter.

Lesser included charges at a minimum on this charge alone:
Assault (Intent coupled with present ability to harm)
Battery (Actual harm)

MERLANCE

14-01-2007 06:50:49

Its murder, felony murder. His choking of her was assualt. She died as a result of his assault.

Periodically you hear on the news about people dying years after being wounded as a result of their wounds, and the person who shot them, after having been in prison for the assault, being jailed for their murder.

Etah

14-01-2007 18:05:39

1st degree murder is defined by intent, malice and forethought
2nd degree murder is intent and malice without forethought

He loved her; it would be hard to prove malice to a jury.

Remember the burden of proof rests with the prosecution, the defense only needs to change the mind of a single juror.

In court it would be argued down from second degree murder to voluntary manslaughter which as I said before is intent without malice or forethought.

He intended to choke her, but it was in the heat of the moment and he didn’t mean to kill her and that’s exactly how the defense would argue it to a jury.

RevengeX

14-01-2007 21:31:44

I'd have to say murder. He killed her with the intent of causing her pain so that she wouldn't lie to him anymore. To me, that falls under 2nd degree murder in that he wanted to hurt her, but not kill her, but instead killed her.

Cethgus

17-01-2007 05:39:21

That is a very good point RevengeX but maybe he just wasn't in the right frame of mind at that exact moment in time and he didnt kill her but maybe she died from neglect

Sato Khan

20-01-2007 11:41:59

If he's guilty of anything it's assault and battery or attempted murder at the most. She didn't die as a direct result of being choked, she died from a "broken heart". As stated in the movie by the med-droid, they could find nothing physically wrong with her, she had simply lost "the will to live."

Therefore Annakin could not seriously be considered the murderer of his wife. If the glove doesn't fit the jury must acquit.

Etah

20-01-2007 17:20:21

:( I am right. Go read my other posts in this thread lmao im not gonna bother writing that stuff again.

Moloch Argantes

24-01-2007 03:05:29

I hate to sound corny but she died of a broken heart, she died because he became evil and in no court of law would they find that guilty really. If you remember the droid (at least I think it was the droid) said she had no physical reason to be on her death bed. Both of my points have already been mentioned I know but no harm in backing others up :P

Adien Falaut

25-01-2007 14:23:45

Corny or not isn't that is how it was portraied in RotS and every other referance in the original trilogy?

Lucian

25-01-2007 19:06:03

Not guilty-
the way i see it, he was acting above and beyond all expectations for the defence and benefit of the galactic empire. he should get a medal not a prison term. =p
she had it coming too.. XD

i completely agree he chocked her she lived and popped out children, so technically she died on her own

Lokasena

31-03-2007 04:18:46

He wanted to get through to her. not kill her.
little did he know that it was his own dark power that would evenualy be the cause of his nightmares.
and his nightmares the cause for joining the Dark side.

and that is what we call a pre-destination paradox, my friends. ;)