Plasma or Light: What are Sabers made of?

Kal

30-06-2006 04:35:02

I've heard alot of debate as to whether the saber blades are made of light or plasma, and I wanna clear it all up. Personally, I think they are made of light.

Scyrone

04-07-2006 14:11:08

Well according to the NEC (New Essential Chronology), I think it says the Lightsaber blade is a frozen blade of light, that was forzen into its position and only becomes hot when it touches something.

It was something like that, other than that I could just say that Wookiepedia or Wikipedia might have a good explaination for you.

Kal

04-07-2006 17:55:34

Wookieepedia and wikipedia say both in different articles, and the frozen laser was the early design.

Rannik

06-07-2006 21:33:55

I think its plasma. but after i seen what Scyronesaid. im changing my way of thinking of the lightsaber...

Kal

06-07-2006 21:37:23

It could be plasma, but it says that plasma requires Tibanna gas to be heated up to extreme temperatures, with light being a side effect. Is there a gas chamber on a saber? And the whole "frozen light" thing was the early way of doing it, where a sword was taken and a laser was frozen to it's blade thru some ritual.

Arcadian

07-07-2006 02:43:56

I think (this is just my opinion so no one has to pay attention to it :P) that lightsabers are pure light that has been moulded by weird powers and shaped into the beam of a lightsaber. But hey, what do i know :P

Kal

07-07-2006 03:23:56

Could be. I thought that they were a tight loop of power, but there are too many "legitimate" sources. And no, I am not calling Supershadow legitimate, I don't even pause to consider that crap.

Scyrone

10-08-2006 12:23:25

Look at the inside of a lightsaber, there is some flshlight sortof thing, a crystal, and a secondary crystal. The blade is not LITERALLY frozen, it is just stopped in a certain way. I think the power lies in the crystal and not the blade.

Macron Sadow

10-08-2006 13:31:46

As near as I can tell, it's plasma surrounded by a magnetic "bottle". That is why sabers are so hard to control and require training, the containment field makes for a gyroscopic effect in the handle.

Kal

10-08-2006 17:43:53

From what I've read, the power is kept in a power cell, which sends energy through the crystals and lens, which form the energy into a tight loop. The energy arcs over onto itself infinite times, creating the unwieldy effect. Plus, all of the weight is in the handle, making it difficult to use because of no counterweight to cause momentum.

Arcadian

10-08-2006 18:35:38

So i guess now we know :P

Baron Zarco

10-08-2006 19:37:48

It's a riddle wrapped inside an enigma carried around in the pocket of a wierd old man that only celebrates Christmas once a week but only then if he feels as though no one is plotting to steal his magic bag in which case he delays the celebrations, not cancelling it but delaying it, thus the phenomena of Christmas everyday...at some point...and the magic of lightsabers...but only if you have been good or...very very bad.

Kal

10-08-2006 21:22:27

Ok then.....

Arcadian

11-08-2006 17:22:14

It's a riddle wrapped inside an enigma carried around in the pocket of a wierd old man that only celebrates Christmas once a week but only then if he feels as though no one is plotting to steal his magic bag in which case he delays the celebrations, not cancelling it but delaying it, thus the phenomena of Christmas everyday...at some point...and the magic of lightsabers...but only if you have been good or...very very bad.

Erm....if you say so.

dockaflar

22-09-2006 20:17:08

i always thought it was a blade of plasma. i dont know what kind of freaky technology they had a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, but light has no mass or anything like that, i dont know how it can cut. but i know that a lightsaber only gets hot when it touches something as was said earlier, and that it only expends energy when it is touching something. if you just turn on a lightsaber and never make the blade touch anything, it will just stay on forever. but im putting my money on plasma blade.

Baron Zarco

25-09-2006 20:47:36

Yeah, all of my crazy comments above aside, I think so too.

Kal

26-09-2006 18:07:49

Nope. Plasma needs to be hot. It's the fourth state of matter. How can light cut? It doesn't cut. It burns, making it look like a cut. Light can burn easily. We use extremely hot lasers all the time. If we figured out how to make one loop, then instant lightsaber.

Laigerick Sithelhood

20-12-2006 17:05:36

its light. face it pplz.

Muz Ashen

23-12-2006 03:08:01

A Lightsaber blade starts as light, generated by charging an adegan crystal.

The Light is then converted into plasma by the focusing crystals (novae), and kept restrained in a cohesive field, some believe to be magnetic, but the size of the beam is dictated by placement of specific crystals at particular angles.

It is Plasma. It's not possible to keep a laser that strong and wide in a short field. Blasters are lasers...you shoot them and they keep going until they hit something.

Which is why if you're off but a micrometer in your construction of a saber, you'll have an explosion, or an ineffective weapon on your hands.

So the answer is yes. Both light and plasma.

What people forget is that light and Plasma are rather closely related. Lightning and fire are plasma. so are stars.

Vladek

23-12-2006 18:06:39

It's always nice to have the HRLD here to tell us the official stuff. ;)
Thanks, Muz.