A Brotherhood Band

Nekura Manji

29-04-2006 08:02:47

Now, I was just reading through one of Muzzy's blogs from the Herald Office, where I caught an entry about how there are people in the Brotherhood who rock hard. He suggested getting people to lay down some tracks for a CD that could be promoted in order to net us money for server donations/charity, or just for fun. Whichever.

Now, I know a couple of people who play instruments- I know Dalthid plays electric guitar (and bass?), as I play electric guitar. I also know that everybody's favourite rockin' ex-Herald Kaine Mandaala used to play drums. What I'd like is volunteers who have a reasonable degree of skill in any instrument. Keep in mind that if we're going to keep this workable, we're not going to be able to get every musically-talented person on every song. However, if about six or seven tracks arise from this, we could rotate places and have different people showing off their talents on each song.

So this is a call to arms! All you musically talented people who are willing to forge some rather awesome Dark Brotherhood-related music, step forward and be counted!

Andan Taldrya Marshall

29-04-2006 09:03:01

I'd definately be interested in that. All my recording gear is at home, though, and I won't be able to get to it till then. It's been quite a while since I've recorded anything that I felt was good enough to keep so I don't have any samples for you, but a lot of my stuff ends up being either a bluesy rock (more on the rock side though, ala GnR)or outright blues. I have written one or two ok sounding metal songs though.

When I get home I'll start laying down some tracks. If you have something specific you're looking for let me know and I can try to work with it.

Nekura Manji

29-04-2006 10:46:11

Stylistically, I'm just thinking of something that'll reflect our outlook as Dark Jedi- but not necessarily purely metal. It's a pretty wide-reaching genre, which means it'd be perfectly acceptable to have some kind of bluesy saxophone solo or something in between two brutal riffs, if you catch my drift. For example, a band called Mastodon have one song which goes from a heavy thrash riff into one guitar weaving through a gain-soaked country lick that you're really not expecting the first time you hear it.

So if you just think about what Dark Jedi would listen to on their days off and come up with some stuff, we'll see what everyone else contributes to the melting pot as well. ^_^

Sakh nhem

29-04-2006 17:44:20

So if you just think about what Dark Jedi would listen to on their days off and come up with some stuff, we'll see what everyone else contributes to the melting pot as well. ^_^

I play the guitar and bass but I have no recording equipment. I'm just posting to say i think it might depend on the Dark Jedi. Blues might represent the lonesome history of some characters where as heavy metal might resemble the hatred of others... I think a good song that will represent the Brotherhood well would have blues, some sort of classical part and some rock in it.

Revenant

01-05-2006 14:56:31

I'll quite happily play bass on anything. My own band has officially fallen apart, so It's not like I have prior commitments. To be honest, I haven't really played my bass much since the band collapsed - no motivation. Hopefully this'll get me going again...

Muz Ashen

01-05-2006 15:28:03

Well, like i said in my blog, I do keyboards and programming stuffs... along the industrial-electronica lines...and i can write a song on occasion. :P

Mark me down, Manji.

Scyrone

01-05-2006 19:08:26

I play bass, but I might be able to get my band to help (we are a metal/indie/indutrial band).

Rage

02-05-2006 04:33:32

I play play electric guitar..but i dont have any recording equipment and what i play is eletric blues and acid rock (think hendrix)

Nekura Manji

02-05-2006 04:57:11

Okay, so at the moment I've got:
Crix: Songwriting/guitar
Revenant: Bassage
Muz: Keyboards/programmy synth things/songwriting
And Scyrone: Bassage

With Rage and Sakh showing interest but unable to record. Do you guys write your own songs? Because if you're unable to contribute instrumentally, you could try and come up with some music, even just some riffs that we can use in the project. Give it a go and see what emerges ^_^

Revenant

02-05-2006 15:11:19

I suppose I shoulda mentioned, I don't have any recording gear of my own, but a good friend of mine has a fully equipped studio in his loft, so no worries there. I also wrote most of the lyrics for my previous band so that's covered as well. I have a sneaking suspicion that if this actually goes ahead, it's gonna rock. Supremely and utterly rock. \m/

Xayun Erinos

02-05-2006 15:27:33

I do drummage. I'm not particularly great (at least not in my opinion), and I've been playing for almost two years. Not much, admittedly.

My recording gear is basically non-existant too, with the only type of recording instrument I have being a high-quality computer mic. ;)

I might give it a shot to see what it sounds like and run it through an editing program, but I doubt it would sound that great......

Still, I wouldn't mind trying to come up with some stuff, I've never really tried, so it could be interesting. Put my name on there. ;)

Nekura Manji

02-05-2006 15:33:28

So, Xayun- drummage and Rev- Bassage and songwriting go onto the list as well. Good to have you guys on board. ^_^

Now, ideally I'd like some vocalists to step forward- I can kinda do clean vocals (check the song 'Colossus' on http://www.myspace.com/pictarband, that's me singing... seriously, I'm not lying :P) but I'd like to get a range of vocalists on board. Any type- if there are people who can do decent screeching or grunting, you're more than welcome as well :D

RevengeX

02-05-2006 15:52:46

I play violin, but I don't know if that's what you're looking for. :D

Xayun Erinos

02-05-2006 16:47:58

I play violin, but I don't know if that's what you're looking for. :D

Dude, that'd rock.....orchestras have always went well with rock. ;)

Nekura Manji

02-05-2006 18:21:12

Revenge, if you have the facility to record violin stuff, I'm sure we could work it into a more bluesy symphonic song. ^_^

Kaine Mandaala

03-05-2006 09:59:12

My drums are all in boxes. I don't have the space to set them up anywhere.

I have considered off and on the possibility of getting an electric set to use in conjunction with Encore/Master Tracks Pro. This is software I used to use a lot to write classical pieces and scores for my own cartoons in college. I have to buy the newest version because my old one won't even install - the discs are unreadable.

All that being said, after I get the software I could probably hammer out a song or two for the project. I have samples of real instruments and can port it all to MP3, so it won't sound like MIDI bleeps and bloops.

Scyrone

04-05-2006 17:01:07

I MAINLY play bass, but I am a beginner at Drums and experienced Electric Guitar.

Arania

07-05-2006 11:37:41

No drums here atm, too bad. That may be changed this summer though.

I can always help out with songwriting though, and probably composing.

Ewww Kaine electric drums hehe. Oh well, had to use them before.

Ylith Pandemonium

08-05-2006 10:47:25

I play electric and spanish guitar. I dont have recording stuff but maybe I can fish some stuff up

Writing I can maybe manage, just mail me ;)

Draken

`CC`

09-05-2006 17:32:33

I can play guitar and bass moderately well, but I can sing better than either of those. If you want a recording of me singing/playing guitar, ask and gimme an addy and ill send it over.

I can write stuff, but it generally sucks, although sometimes it doesn't. hit and miss etc.

Lokasena

09-05-2006 19:57:02

I play the black and white's and I do vocals...

Rage

09-05-2006 20:09:04

I play electric and spanish guitar. I dont have recording stuff but maybe I can fish some stuff up

Writing I can maybe manage, just mail me ;)

Draken

Ylith is it too hard to say 'acoustic'?

Nekura Manji

10-05-2006 04:33:08

Okay.

The first stage, I feel, is to get some stuff written. At the moment I've got down on songwriting duties the following:

Crix, Muz, Revenant, Arania, Ylith, and Nadrin.

And I'll chip in as well. Basically, we're looking for lyrics that would suit Dark Jedi- and if you have an idea for music as well, note that down and we can work with it. Once we've got some good lyrics and song ideas, we'll get the ball rolling. ^_^

Krayn

10-05-2006 08:57:30

Anything I can do?

Andan Taldrya Marshall

10-05-2006 12:58:36

I can try my hand at lyrics if you want, but I'm MUCH better with the music. I can write from scratch or try to match something to lyrics that you give me, either works for me.

Nekura Manji

10-05-2006 17:34:27

Krayn: Can you play any instruments? Or do you write songs? If the answer to either of those is yes, then possibly :D

Crix: Whatever you want- if you'd be better coming up with some good music, we can match lyrics to that. I've always felt that it's better to write the music and work the lyrics into it than write lyrics and try to force the music to conform to them. See if you can come up with some good riffs. ^_^

Macron Sadow

10-05-2006 19:41:02

I don't do lyrics, but.... I've been playing guitar for 12 years. Even had theory in college, etc. *grins*
If I can help let me know.

Scorpius

10-05-2006 19:53:00

I play the piano and keyboard, but mostly piano. I'm used to performing, but usually solos. However, this year my school has been extra-abusive and had me accompany vocalists and other instruments, so I have practice there. Also, I am very used to have a saxophone play beside me, as my old piano instructor when I was first learning accompanied me on the sax (though, he mostly only did so with the Beatles songs I played. heh).

I can play all sorts, but my main specialty is taking a previously-written piece of music (like the James Bond Theme or music from Harry Potter, etc) and changing them around to sound nifty. :P
I can also dabble writing my own things, and do well listening to other music and finding a way to play along with my piano. However, when I do get into writing my own things, I often find medolies I already know trying to sneak into my music. <_<

Devani

10-05-2006 21:03:54

I play the Sax, but only have an alto though I've played Soprano, Alto and Baritone. I need sheetmusic though, I'm not too good at improv.

Krayn

11-05-2006 05:58:41

The answer to both of those is yes. I'm the frontman for my band. I play standard 6-String.

Lech

11-05-2006 09:10:40

Can I be a groupie?

Arania

11-05-2006 13:35:50

Eww.. groupies :o)

Andan Taldrya Marshall

11-05-2006 15:58:03

No groupies, they're just skanky =P

Nekura Manji

11-05-2006 18:09:12

Yay groupies :P But only female groupies. And only voluptuous female groupies at that :P

So... I'll add Macron (guitar), Krayn (guitar + vocals?), Scorpius (piano/keyboards ^_^) and Devani (saxophone) to the list.

Looks like an impressive roster... now we just need some songs and we can get this thing rolling :D

Andan Taldrya Marshall

11-05-2006 21:37:21

I'm gonna be busy as hell this weekend, but I have a little something that I want to record and let you guys listen to. I'll get it to you ASAP/

Rage

11-05-2006 23:35:42

Woot! Go Devani! :D

Ylith Pandemonium

12-05-2006 00:55:26

Sax in a Dark Jedi band..?

is ti gonna be a cantina song? :P

I'll work on some lyrics...should be fun :)

Andan Taldrya Marshall

12-05-2006 08:37:33

Sax rocks like none other for blues, and there's nothing wrong with some Dark Jedi playing a little blues B)

Ylith Pandemonium

12-05-2006 15:05:19

*ocugh*lighty*cough*

We need some good killing music...think of it...would you think Anakin would have R&B or blues on his
Ipod while fighting Obi Wan? well...if you think he had....guess thats the reason he lost...:P

We need some pounding Palpatine Metal, people!

We need to 'rock the socks off' of the lighties to make them themble before us with their classical ballet
pink Ipods..

So...waddayasay we give the rappers and R&B (blegh..) to the to-be-pwned, the Blues and other
classical things to the Lighties, and the gournd pounding metal and rock to the Dark Jedi!

maybe we can make 3 cd's, more lyrical rock for the Krath, more speed metal for the Sith and the
filling-out-of-teeth-grinding Metal to the Obelisk! Oh yeah B)

hows that?

Sakh nhem

12-05-2006 15:58:41

I've just come up with a short bluey-jazz kinda riff, and I'm trying to adapt it. I'll post it on here when it's finished.

Ylith Pandemonium

12-05-2006 16:42:21

sounds good, how is the songwriting gonna be? We just write according to the
mixed song?

Nekura Manji

12-05-2006 17:15:11

One thing, Ylith- it's not just about writing music Dark Jedi would kill to. It's about writing music they'd listen to in other situations as well- such as when they're relaxing after a hard day's killing.

Besides...

Blues is the grandfather of pretty much all modern rock and metal. Without the blues, we wouldn't have anything- no Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, etc. I may not regularly listen to blues, but if I hear a blues song I can really appreciate it. But I digress... as to songwriting, we'll probably write according to the ideas that people put forward and fit lyrics to the music.

Edit: Also, as to doing three CDs of all metal- not really a practical idea. I'd like to do a nice extensive CD, with plenty of songs from different genres; speed metal, bluesy rock, jazz, death metal, whatever. All sorts of stuff.

Krayn

15-05-2006 20:01:50

Check my personal pick for me and my guitar :)>

Ylith Pandemonium

17-05-2006 00:52:52

lol, your guitar is similar to mine, I have a Gibson SG Special Faded :D

Krayn

19-05-2006 19:52:41

Very nice. I want a faded one, but I will do with what I got.

Arania

21-05-2006 17:31:32

What's with stuff people already made? I love Dalthid's stuff.

Ylith Pandemonium

22-05-2006 03:34:33

Dalthid rules :D I loved his Exodus song