If Palpatine really knew about Luke..

Anonymous

08-02-2005 08:57:50

It would not have been much effort for the Empire to have tracked down Luke, especially as he was still using his birth name. If Palpatine and Vader knew of his existance and the fact he may pose a threat, why didn't they do something about him long before Obi-Wan came onto the scene?

Welshman

08-02-2005 09:31:56

im sure they mention in one of the books that they may have treied to trap the Empire into coming to Tatooine so Obi-Wan could do something about them.

Sunflash

08-02-2005 19:47:27

im sure they mention in one of the books that they may have treied to trap the Empire into coming to Tatooine so Obi-Wan could do something about them.

Yes, but that was just a sugestion. Perhaps they wanted him to grow up and then give him all of the power that he would want. Maybe Vader was planning on taking his son on as an apprentice. Or maybe the opposite, the galaxy is a very big place after all. Maybe they didn't know that Luke was alive. They say that the most obvious place to hide something is in plain sight.

khan

08-02-2005 20:42:42

Tatooine is only marginaly controlled by the Empire, really, the Hutts are the rules there due some agreement betwen Palpy and the Hutts. For the same reason, and due the few "registered" citizen on Tatooine, Luke was able to spent his youth without much Imperial truble. Only if his uncle did allowed him to sign up at the accademy the empire whould have been able to track him.

Kir

10-02-2005 12:02:48

It was in "I, Jedi" when Corran Horn suggested to Luke that he was placed on Tatooine using his Skywalker name as a way for Obi-wan and Yoda to attract Vader's attention and confront him together.

Sith Bloodfyre

12-02-2005 00:45:27

In RotJ, Obi-wan says to Luke that they were hidden from their father when they were born. He said that if "...Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him..." So my guess is, just like was said about Obi-wan and Yoda laying a trap, they intended for the Emperor/Vader to find Luke, confront them, and hopefully take them out. Sort of ruthless for Jedi, using kids as bait. And if they caught/killed Luke, they'd have Leia to use in a second ambush. Or something like that.

Welshman

12-02-2005 18:13:31

Makes you wonder if that would have made Obi Wan as bad as Palpatine....

khan

12-02-2005 22:39:07

He was a Jedi, ofcourse he's BAD !

Welshman

16-02-2005 18:54:57

hehe, i mean that plan is very devious and duplicitous for a Jedi. Putting the life of an innocent at risk using him as bait.

Muz Ashen

02-03-2005 14:49:02

Silly kids.
Palps didn't know about Luke until the Death Star.
Darth probably knew right then also.

When Amidala died, he probably assumed that the child(ren) died also. Having been in the Clone Wars up until the Fall of the Jedi (the aftermath had him in the suit), he had no time to go back to tatooine, nor would he have had inclination. Raw memories and all.

Further, after he's in the suit, he still thinks the kids are dead, but knows that there is still a Skywalker family there (Shmi had to come from somewhere...) So a person with the same last name on a planet somewhere didn't bother him much. Besides, anyone been to the desert know how much hell the sand wreaks on machinery. Vader's breathing apparatus would have no end of problems with that... an unnecessary risk given scant potential for rewards.

Above and beyond that, Vader doesn't like the Emperor. in TESB, Vader tell sluke to join him to rule the Galaxy as Father and Son. No mention of palps there.

If I had to guess, Vader was sorry he fell to the darkside, but was behind the emperor's goal of uniting the galaxy under one banner, figuring that once the deed was done, that he would kill the emperor and be done with it. The battle that left him in the suit left him dependant on the emperor, and significantly diminished to the point where he couldn't pose a threat to palps.

I mean, if he had such a better ability in the force than anyone else, why isn't he chucking around force lightning like palps? Machinery? Diminished force affinity? Robotics replacing real flesh and screwing up the M-word in his system? At any rate, he's not even as bad-arse as Dooku, and if Dooku took orders from Palps...

Don't get me wrong, Vader was the most billybad-arse jedi at the time, save palps, but he just desn't stack against villains who faced off against healthy and strong jedi troops. The clone war decimated the Jedi ranks, and what little were left were the low men on the totem pole...easy pickings for Vader and a squad of stormtroopers.

Xizor

06-03-2005 13:13:44

Something else I was wondering about... Does anybody know who Anakin's father was?

JaM3z

06-03-2005 15:01:54

They did mention something in Ep1 that Ani didn't have a father, that the Force was his father or something like that...

Xizor

07-03-2005 07:36:41

Yes, well, Episode I also had midichlorians and Gungans, so I tend not to give a damn about what it says.

Tiberius

07-03-2005 13:34:12

According to prophecy, the chosen one was to be a construct of the mediclorians. As Shmi stated in EPS1, " there was no father, I carried him, I bore him. I cant explain it." etc.

This was Lucus attmept to juxtapose the birth of Vader and the birth of Christ through the virgin mother. The saviour of the universe written down in the prophecy of the Jedi order.

Although the PT is not the best work Lucas has created we must respect it for what it truely is: It is the story of Anakin created by Lucus, thus a vital part of the time and history of Star Wars.

SO in simple words there was no father. Explaining why Anakin possessed over 20,000 mediclorians in his system. More than any other Jedi in the history of the Universe. The only explanation is that the mediclorians created him as the pinnacle of perfection.

I always wondered what the mediclorians gained out of the symbiotic relationship with humans and other creatures of coporal entity.

Perhaps Anakin was the manifestation of the mediclorain race to truely evolve to be self sufficient and independant from other enteties to survive. Borrowing from their human host they were able to use her genetic structure to create on of their own in human form: ie Anakin.

I know thats streaching it a bit far, but it is a possible solution to a hypothetical question based on theoretical assumptons.

Thats my two cents.

Kraznor

10-04-2005 02:12:30

In RotJ, Obi-wan says to Luke that they were hidden from their father when they were born. He said that if "...Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him..." So my guess is, just like was said about Obi-wan and Yoda laying a trap, they intended for the Emperor/Vader to find Luke, confront them, and hopefully take them out. Sort of ruthless for Jedi, using kids as bait. And if they caught/killed Luke, they'd have Leia to use in a second ambush. Or something like that.

Im not sure but I dont think Vader or Palpatine knew of the existance of the twins

Súrion

14-04-2005 07:29:00

I have never heard that theory before, Tiberius. I think that Darth Vader thought that when Padme died the child died too, but I don't think any of Shimi or Shmi's family was still allive then.

Xanos

17-04-2005 11:09:36

According to what I've gathered from ROTS they didn't change Luke's name 1. because Lucas didn't think about this at the time (he's only human, come on) and 2. because there was nothing stopping there being lots of Skywalkers all over Tatooine- who says Shmi was the only one? This idea doesn't quite fit in with one of the EU stories about Anakin and Shmi originally coming from (I think) Malastare... but frankly, Lucas can't be expected to know every single stupid little EU reference. Either way, I'm sure Shmi wasn't the first Skywalker in history. Remember that the Republic was galaxy spanning, I can imagine that had Palpatine punched in "Skywalker" into a search engine and seen 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 matches he'd just have gone "oh sod this... i'll take the risk".

Tiberius

17-04-2005 12:49:34

I must disagree. The name skywalker was uncommon on Tatooine, as Shmi and Anakin were sold as slaves to the Hutt Gardola (I am not sure thats the right spelling). If you say there are other shywalkers, then should they not also have foce sensativity as Anakin ( maybe not as much but close enough), as Shmi's mediclorians were the ones that created her child. Using that as a reference source, you could claime that all in her blood line had similar characteristics. But then we dont hear of any uncles or anunt of Luke or any other skywalker in the history of Star wars. If you can find another skywalker name, besides lukes immediate family and his mother, I will eat my hat! :P As there is no reference to any other skywalkers, it is my believe that that name was uncommon and that shmi and anakin were the last of their family line. Which would also make sense if the attributes of the family culminated to the very end of the skywalker family genome (the creation of the pure mediclorian child). For all we know the mediclorians are a group consiouness and had designed this possability through the chosen blood line (ie the skywalkers). Or it could be the very opposite, that it was a jedi madman in a lonely cave who wrote the inscription of the choosen one ( i imagine a lone nutcase rocking himself to sleep blabbling on about a chosen one in the force, who would bring balance)

That my two cents.

Xanos

17-04-2005 15:16:20

Well ROTS says that Obi-Wan figured nobody would think anything odd of another Skywalker on Tatooine so thats what we have to accept. Even if Shmi did come from Malastare, Obi-Wan didn't know that. It was entirely plausible that Owen Lars and Shmi would have had children eventually, had she not died, so it'd have been possible for there to be more Skywalkers. Plus Shmi had to have had a father and a mother somewhere. We may not have heard of any other Skywalkers but how many other Solos, or Amidalas, or Organas are there that we know of? None either. That doesn't mean they wouldn't have been common names.

Plus, again, in George Lucas Land there was no "miraculous conception" it was actually Palpatine using the Force to cause Shmi to become pregnant. I'm sure in George Lucas' mind he still thinks that even if he didn't keep it in the final ROTS script. Meaning I'd question exactly how Force Sensitive Shmi Skywalker and her parents etc were.

Tiberius

19-04-2005 11:46:07

Oh Xanos, I dont think its Owen, is'nt that Lukes uncle? This is not an episode of Jerry Springer :P

If Cliegg Lars and Shmi were to have children then would not the children be lars instead of skywalker.

Xanos

22-04-2005 09:51:58

Nobody ever said Star Wars has to follow western based marital naming conventions.

Its not that unbelievable that on Tatooine Shmi Skywalkers children might have carried the name Skywalker. That even happens in real life these days when you have a married couple where the wife has not adopted her husbands surname. In those cases there are occassions where the child is given the mother's surname.

Plus Shmi had been hacked to death by Tusken Raiders. Its not that hard to think that Owen may have named his biological (real) son, had he had one, Luke Skywalker-Lars in memory of his step mother as a sign of respect or something. For all we know Luke may have used the name Lars when he was on Tatooine.

Aerick

22-04-2005 15:21:42

Plus, the Emperor might have intentionally let Luke go so that he could wait for the right time to attempt to influence him. It would fit with his past patterns of behavior. He had Count Dooku as an apprentice, while at the same time he was subtly preping Anakin to assume that role. It would make sense that he would want to do the same with Luke, and have him replace Vader. But that's all supposition on my part.

Sato Khan

24-04-2005 22:56:00

It's wholly plausible to think that Vader knew his wife was pregnant. Therefore, we can assume that both he and Palpy believed the children as yet unborn and dead in the womb of their mother, and thus not bother searching for them. I believe that I read ROTS will touch on this exact subject.

Xanos

25-04-2005 11:21:04

Indeed. Anakin knew Padme was pregnant. He also assumes that she died before they were born- hence why the Jedi try to make her still look pregnant even after she's dead and buried.

karrel

09-07-2005 17:29:10

Think about it. Tatooine is controlled by the huts. It was never in the control of anyone else outside even when Anakin was living there. I think the planet is near the Outer Rim too, so maybe that is why the Empire may never had any desire to go there.