What if Vader allowed the Emperor to kill Luke?

Raidoner

07-02-2005 22:28:19

Things would of been very different if there was nothing left of Anakin Skywalker in Darth Vaders heart. >:)

Welshman

08-02-2005 06:38:24

hehe things would have been different thats for sure, hoewver if you've read Shadows of the Empire (or something like that) then you get to know that even then Vader has some good in him and that the Emperor isnt happy about it. Im pretty sure he even lets Luke and Rouge Squadron leave Coruscant space after they destroyed Xizor's operation.

khan

08-02-2005 20:47:20

YEah, to bad both Sidious and Vader whould have died when the Executor landed on the deadstat 2 helping the already blowing reactor to transform a battle station into space debris ...

Sith Bloodfyre

12-02-2005 00:48:56

Actually, if the Emperor had killed Luke, and Vader had watched, the odds are, the two of them would've just escaped. I mean, if Luke had enough time to drag Vader's death machine corpse to a shuttle and get out before the Death Star blew, Vader and the old fart would've made it out easily. But personally, I'd guess that Vader would've let Palpatine focus on Luke, get close to whacking him, then Vader would open a can, and off the old guy. Vader would be the new Emperor, Luke might live, but he'd probably try to subvert him, and kill him in his weakened state of he said no. Resolution? Vader would be the numero uno, and the rebels would be fooked.

khan

12-02-2005 03:27:57

I'm not sure about the escape thing. Yes, there whould have been enough time for them to escape but whould them ? Vander perhaps but Palpy has been portrayet as overconfident in ep 6 (I whould NEVER attire my enemy in my, figuratively talking, house) and he looked quite sure of his victory. Best case scenario, Vader whould have beeen Emperor anyway heh

Btw, talking of "what if" I recommend the comic serie "Infinities" from dark horse, there are some what ifs regarding the OT heh

Sith Bloodfyre

12-02-2005 18:45:41

The Infinites series is way cool. You have to pick and choose what you like, but I think they're a good take on it. That's sort of how I see the DB, in a way, is an Infinites sort of take on the Star Wars universe.

Cuchulain

18-04-2005 10:06:27

See, if Vader had allowed Skywalker to kill off Palpy, then Skywanker would have then completed his journey to the Dark Side as Palpy said. If that's the case then why would Skywalker stopped there? He might then have decided to off Vader as well just to get rid of both of the bad-ass bitches of the galaxy ("Then my father is truly dead").

More likely that Vader would have let Palpy die and then batter Luke into submission about 2 seconds later when the reality of his actions just hits home, take him under his wing and then bring him up as his student, in much the same way Palpy had done him. But he'd always be looking over his shoulder at his son, waiting for the sabre to come bursting ut the front of his chest, so better to get him out of the way right away.

Sato Khan

24-04-2005 22:50:09

See, if Vader had allowed Skywalker to kill off Palpy, then Skywanker would have then completed his journey to the Dark Side as Palpy said.

I don't think Vader would have allowed Luke to do it. For one, we saw him deflect Luke's lightsaber stroke at the last second, saving Palpy. Secondly, the little good left in Vader ( :@ ) knew that if Luke did succumb to his hatred for Palpy, then he would watch his son walk the dark path forever. It would have been better had Skywalker been seduced but thats history.

Keno

14-05-2005 21:27:00

I think we all underestimate the power of the light. Sure we are minons of the dark side, but the fact of the matter is that Luke would never walk the path of the dark, we can all see that in the first movie. Old Ben saw that in him and thats why he let him come, and why yoda trained him. I mean they are supposed to be the best right? So how could they make same mistake twice. And IF Palpy killed Luke we could all see that Vader would have killed him. But as for getting away I really doubt it, the rebals had way too many of thier fleet with them if not all. I don't think it would be possiable for Vader to escape. Although the Dark Side could take care of him, but too that degree I just don't know.

Xanos

15-05-2005 06:42:04

The clever thing about Palpatine was without him the Empire fell apart. I don't really think Vader, or anybody, could ever have taken his place as Emperor. That's kind of why the Empire collapses so quickly right after Endor because nobody else is able to hold it together. People didn't know Palpatine was a Sith Lord, they know Vader is though, so might not have been as willing to serve somebody who they saw completely as evil.

That's the interesting thing about Revenge of the Sith. People loved Palpatine. They saw him as a galactic hero. Sure, by the time of Endor most people have come to realise that he was actually a manipulative psychotic but a lot of people still felt he had "saved" them from the "Jedi threat". Vader never really had that. People just saw him as a cold blooded murderer. Despite his power it would have been a lot like an army general taking over a country. Yes, they have the support of the army, but they rarely have the support of the people, because they're just not politicians. It works for a while, but always leads to really, really bad rebellions- worse than Palpatine would have experienced. I can see a second Separatist revolt akin to the Clone Wars had Vader ever become Emperor, not just an underground rebel movement.

It wouldn't have been hard for Vader and Palpatine to escape really... the Rebels had their fleet there but there was still a giant fleet of Star Destroyers. The Rebels only survived because the second news of Palpatine's death got out the Imperials freaked out and fled when Pellaeon gave the order to retreat. Its somewhat accepted, even in the stories, that had the Empire had stayed to fight they probably could have crushed the Rebels completely. The problem was without a clear leader they paniked and the infighting began. If the SSD Executor hadn't been destroyed then Piett would probably have been able to take command, continue to direct the battle, and crush the Rebels. There's also the belief that Palpatine used Battle Meditation. Its never explicitely stated anywhere (mostly because it hadn't been invented as a Force power at the time Lucas wrote ROTJ) but the signs are there in the way the Empire's fleets just never behaved the same after Palpatine's death. With that considered you could argue that, again, the Empire were doomed the moment Palpatine died. It fits his personality "all or nothing". Either he won or the whole galaxy crashed and burned.

karrel

09-07-2005 17:22:22

I would have really liked it if Vader survived in ROTJ. Ever since I first watched it, I wished he was alive. But ever since the Special Edition of the Original movies, I liked the fact that Anakins spirit turned back to the handsom guy he was before he gave his life to the Sith. It sure changed my mind. Boy I would love to look at that spirit ANYTIME >:) !

Jaymz

21-07-2005 14:54:50

I would have liked to see Vader off Palps, then join the light side again, but sadly, that didn't happen.