George Lucas apoligized about this!

Akhara_Kiddo

20-01-2006 17:29:03

I heard from a huuuuuuuuuge SW fan (a friend) that George Lucas actually apologized to everybody for introducing Jar Jar Binks into the saga. The character was meant to be the comic relif of The Phantom Menace and a character for kids.. but hey!! when you have R2 and C3PO, what the heck do you need that hillbillie alien for? lol

I hate Jar Jar but I'm not sure if this is true, anybody knows?

Tarax Kor

20-01-2006 21:00:16

I've heard something along the same lines. :P

Lucian

21-01-2006 13:28:20

i dont think he would say this he seemed to be pretty proud of creating jar jar, but ive heard by someone (an unreliable source i know personally) said there is a version of TPM without binks, i was like BS

Revenant

22-01-2006 08:52:21

Jar Jar. This has caused many arguments. Mostly about how would be best to kill him. But no, there's no version of TPM without Jar Jar. Which is a shame, as it would prob'ly be much better.

I can't see Lucas apologising for Jar Jar. As Lucian said, Lucas was proud of him. As far as I'm aware, he was Lucas's favourite of the new characters. Which is worrying.

The big question, though, is this: In TPM, when Qui Gon grabbed Jar Jar's tongue, why the hell didn't he choke him to death with it...?

Akhara_Kiddo

22-01-2006 13:50:43

LOL yeah.. i wish... ok I got it!! I wish Jar Jar would have been executed, like when they get to the gungan village and Qui Gon says Jar jar is his, the fat gungan leader would have said "BS get your a$$ outta here or i'll kill you too!" and then execute jar jar right in front of Qui Gon and Obi Wan hehehe

It's funny though, I think it's probably true that "apologizing" thing 'cause in ep II we see him in a swquence of like 8 seconds talking really quick to Anakin, and in ep III he's in like a 3 seconds shot of Padme's funeral.. I wonder how he died? hehe

Revenant

22-01-2006 14:18:05

Hopefully something torturously painful, at the hands of an insane Sith alchemist (Macron, care to step up...?)

Aghasett

22-01-2006 19:02:04

i'm currently editting my own version, digitally extracting Jar-Jar and replacing him with Howard the Duck. should be kewl.

Vladeck

22-01-2006 20:25:32

the only thing that its really distourbing about Jar Jar is the way to speak its like daffy duck but worst he he

Akhara_Kiddo

22-01-2006 20:32:37

Yeah what's up with his way to talk? i insist, the guy was a tribute to hillbillies!!

the smartest decition Lucas did was to get him out of the rest of the saga... I think not even kids found him amusing!

PS: on ESPN they call Ronaldinho "Jar Jar" hehe don't you think he's identical? Except Ronaldinho is cool!

Aghasett

23-01-2006 16:34:51

I've read in several places that the gungans, their wardrobe, music and dialect were inspired by the Somali Bantus -- which, to me, further bolsters the idea that Jar-Jar is a racist characterization. I don't think Lucas intentionally made it that way, but clearly, a lot of his audience responded to it as such. There's no reason for him to aplogize, because it's nothing intentional on his part, but I think he should at least acknowledge the laspe of judgement there. The uniform criticism of Jar-Jar is too overwhelming to ignore.

Uzbad

23-01-2006 16:46:59

I think if Jar Jar had been made with a good sounding voice, and knew grammer he might have been okay, Those warrier GunGuns were pretty decent.

kraval

23-01-2006 21:48:35

I think if Jar Jar had been made with a good sounding voice, and knew grammer he might have been okay, Those warrier GunGuns were pretty decent.

Remember though, Jar Jar was the one who made a motion to give supreme executive powers to Palpatine, so without that little twit Palp would have either had to find someone else to dupe or would have had to wait longer. So in a way Jar Jar is our hero (Disturbing I know but think about it :P)

Vladeck

27-01-2006 20:03:22

Yeah so Jar JAr is not only a bad SW character he is stupid

Rich Gun

20-04-2006 11:38:43

Jar Jar a dark side hero what is this galaxy coming to.

Sakh nhem

20-04-2006 14:03:03

I read some where on a website that there was a kill jar jar club. It was hilarious but effective. They had a heck of a lot of members.

Scyrone

20-04-2006 17:07:53

Why does everyone hate Jar Jar? I think he's cool. And how we everyone rip-off episode one without him? (that was a rhetorical question)

Xian

12-06-2006 15:26:28

its jar-jars fault that the empire was created, he just had to give emergency powers to palpatine

heh heh, me and my friend joke about sith training and how the sith master should lock his apprentice in an elevator with jar jar, push all the buttons, and run out.

Rich Gun

29-06-2006 17:20:19

I was watching ROTJ. Jar Jar Is actually a lot like Wicket the Ewok.

Kal

30-06-2006 04:26:07

But Wicket was kewl. Jar Jar was a failure. They should have had him die from a blaster shot to the head, accidentally saving the life of a gungan warrior or something like that. But still, you gotta admit, the part where he nutted himself on the tank was pretty hilarious.

Scyrone

04-07-2006 14:09:08

Jar Jar does not talk because he cant speak English, he speaks like that because it is mostly part of his language.

I have the STar Wars Galactic Phrase and Travel Guide book, and most of the words Jar Jar says are actually Gunganese. So in a way, Jar Jar is talking his language and we can understand most of it.

Kal

04-07-2006 18:09:46

Even so, te language of the gungans was another attempt at humor. Lucas introduced Jar Jar as a purely comic relief character, but he could have done so much more with him if he had given him a more serious purpose.

Scyrone

05-07-2006 21:39:21

I dont think he was comic relief, I think he was just thought to be comic relief by the majority of the viewers.

Kal

05-07-2006 21:52:12

You might have a point there. If he hadn't been there, how would Qui-gon and Obi-wan have got to Theed? Even more so, how would they have caught the Viceroy if the Gungan army, whom Jar Jar led them to, hadn't distracted the droids? Hell, there wouldn't even be a clone army if he wasn't so gullible and easy to manipulate. Jar Jar led to the creation of the base of the Empire.